Drinking A Small Amount Of Alcohol During Pregnancy Can Impact A Child’s Brain Development, Says Study
28 September 2020 17:07
Drinking A Small Amount Of Alcohol During Pregnancy Can Impact A Child’s Brain Development, Says Study

The first few weeks after you find out you’re pregnant can be exciting but stressful. Making changes to your lifestyle with your child in mind can be tough. And the NHS writes that there’s no definitive answer from experts on how much, if any, alcohol is completely safe for you to have while pregnant. Many air on the side of safety and recommend not drinking at all or having a small drink very rarely. However, a study conducted at the University of Sydney has found that even low levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy may impact a child's brain development and is associated with psychological and behavioral problems like anxiety, poor attention span and depression.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
The Year that Changed the Wine World
14 October 2020 17:07
The Year that Changed the Wine World

“Never A Dull Moment” is the title of a wonderful book about what its author David Hepworth calls “rock’s golden year”. 1971 was indeed an annus mirabilis for music, witnessing the release of landmark albums by David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Marvin Gaye, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Yes, The Who and Rod Stewart. For Hepworth, December 31st1970 marked the end of the Sixties – 12 months late, in one sense – and the start of something very different. It was a hinge, a turning pint, a line in the sand.

[timatkin.com]

John

Could a Tool to Combat Coronavirus Also Protect Grapevines from an Annual Threat?
14 October 2020 17:15
Could a Tool to Combat Coronavirus Also Protect Grapevines from an Annual Threat?

Scientists and vintners are exploring using UV lights, now being employed in HVAC systems to reduce the threat of COVID-19, as a weapon against mildew

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Beaujolais Nouveau launch disrupted by uncertainties caused by Covid-19
15 October 2020 17:10
Beaujolais Nouveau launch disrupted by uncertainties caused by Covid-19

After a number of negociants gained the upper hand at the end of September by announcing purchase prices below €180 /hl for 2020 Beaujolais Nouveau (-10% compared to normal), wine growers fought back and prevented contracts from being registered with the marketing board for less than €200 /hl, the usual going rate. After getting off to a turbulent start, the Nouveau campaign has now settled at a trade price point of €190 /hl in October.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Loss of trans-resveratrol in young red wines
19 October 2020 17:15
Loss of trans-resveratrol in young red wines

Many wine connoisseurs are well aware of the purported health benefits of wine, particularly in regard to antioxidant activity. A commonly cited piece of evidence is the French Paradox – the observation that certain European countries where it is customary to consume a glass of wine per day display improved cardiovascular health and longevity. One of the predominant antioxidant compounds present in red wine is the stilbene trans-resveratrol. It is classified as a phytoalexin, meaning that it is produced as a defensive compound by plants experiencing stress (e.g. herbivores, drought). High concentrations of trans-resveratrol are typically found in grape skins, particularly in red grapes and grapes experiencing high levels of environmental stress and are extracted from these into the wine through the wine-making process. Indeed, trans-resveratrol has been identified as one of the major reasons for the perceived health benefits of red wine. In human and animal trials, trans-resveratrol has been demonstrated to possess cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic effects in a dose-dependent fashion.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Lockdown pushes up prices of vine posts
29 October 2020 18:14
Lockdown pushes up prices of vine posts

Manufacturers of vine posts have been confronted with soaring steel prices. “The situation changes every month. For October, the increase is 9%”, says Sébastien Gouteux, sales manager for Profivi vine posts at Voestalpine Profilafroid.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Flavanol-Rich Diet, Including Wine, Linked to Lower Blood Pressure
29 October 2020 18:25
Flavanol-Rich Diet, Including Wine, Linked to Lower Blood Pressure

A new study finds that moderate consumption of wine, tea and other sources of flavanols can improve heart health

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Covid-19 : les producteurs d'huîtres de l'étang de Thau inquiets à l'approche des fêtes de fin d'année
09 November 2020 18:07
Covid-19 : les producteurs d'huîtres de l'étang de Thau inquiets à l'approche des fêtes de fin d'année

Déjà ébranlés par le premier confinement, les 500 ostréiculteurs du bassin de Thau dans l'Hérault sont très inquiets à l'approche des fêtes, période où ils réalisent 70 % de leurs chiffres d'affaires. Les commandes tardent et les huîtres risquent d'être perdues.

Wat een droefenis.

[france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr]

John

How Champagne Is Bouncing Back After The COVID-19 Pandemic
16 November 2020 17:51
How Champagne Is Bouncing Back After The COVID-19 Pandemic

There is no single category of wine that has been more dramatically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic than Champagne. Between April and August 2020, the industry’s turnover dropped by one-third, the equivalent of approximately two billion dollars in revenue. Roughly, 100 million bottles of Champagne were left unsold. Premium brands were especially hard hit. Champagne sales however are now bouncing back.

[www.forbes.com]

John

An introvert’s guide to Italy (and Italian wine) in the era of Covid-19
16 November 2020 18:15
An introvert’s guide to Italy (and Italian wine) in the era of Covid-19

By now, you’re pretty sick of staring at the screens. The Zoom calls, the virtual wine dinners, the Instagram Live events. You’re tired of the “stories” that Facebook hoists on you mercilessly like robo calls from the latest MAGA-PAC. Inotherwords, you want to go back to Italy. But there are a few problems, the first not being Covid19. You’re an incurable introvert. So, what to do?

[acevola.blogspot.com]

John

Mystery of how long people lose taste and smell from COVID-19
17 November 2020 18:10
Mystery of how long people lose taste and smell from COVID-19

Those aren't the only symptoms that can drag on post-infection.

[bringmethenews.com]

John

COVID-19 IN THE WORLD’S TOP WINE PRODUCING COUNTRIES
19 November 2020 18:13
COVID-19 IN THE WORLD’S TOP WINE PRODUCING COUNTRIES

The US leads the way in terms of having the highest number of coronavirus cases among the world’s top 10 wine producing countries, with over 4m active cases.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

The lessons learnt from the ‘Covid test’ label for red Bordeaux
01 December 2020 18:19
The lessons learnt from the ‘Covid test’ label for red Bordeaux

This is what you call having flair. Bordeaux winegrower Jean-Christophe Mauro, owner of La Chapelle Bérard with 68 hectares of organic vineyards in Saint-Quentin-de-Caplong, launched a pop-up ‘Covid test’ label. He decided to take a humorous approach to the coronavirus pandemic, and its trademark symptom of loss of smell. The intention is also to reverse the downward sales trend of red appellation wines, which has affected Bordeaux in particular. His pared-down label offers some unorthodox “instructions” for testing for Covid [...], “which should only be taken humorously”. “Pour yourself a large glass of wine and smell it. If you can smell it, taste it. If you can smell it and taste it: you don't have Covid!!!!*”

Dit is inspelen op alle sores. Scheelt een gang naar de teststraat. grinning smiley

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Liquibox builds ‘super-factory’ in Madrid as COVID-19 escalates demand for bag-in-box
07 December 2020 18:05
Liquibox builds ‘super-factory’ in Madrid as COVID-19 escalates demand for bag-in-box

Liquibox’s new factory in Madrid has opened today: more than tripling bag-making capacity for the company in continental Europe. Liquibox notes increasing demand for bag-in-box and bulk products across the region as demand for large packaging formats grow due to COVID-19.

[www.beveragedaily.com]

John

Resveratrol for Cold and Flu: Anti-Aging Compound Shown Promise as Flu and COVID Treatment
21 December 2020 18:39
Resveratrol for Cold and Flu: Anti-Aging Compound Shown Promise as Flu and COVID Treatment

While the world shelters in place to see if a vaccine might end the COVID-19 pandemic, a body of researchers are suggesting that if the scientific community only took studies on certain plant compounds a little farther, widespread effective treatments could be developed that ward off this coronavirus and future ones.

[www.goodnewsnetwork.org]

John

Wine and cheese may help protect your brain, says study
24 December 2020 18:30
Wine and cheese may help protect your brain, says study

New research has suggested cheese and red wine could help to prevent cognitive decline as people grow older.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Ocular injuries from flying corks a concern during holidays in COVID-19 isolation
24 December 2020 18:33
Ocular injuries from flying corks a concern during holidays in COVID-19 isolation

In a year when Americans have been isolated, many may feel the urge to celebrate a new year, even over the internet on video chatting platforms, but concern for cork-related ocular trauma is as great as ever.

[www.healio.com]

John

2020: Lockdown stories – view from the vines
29 December 2020 18:02
2020: Lockdown stories – view from the vines

As our lives and horizons suddenly closed in around us, growing more limited in the year of Covid-19, it was perhaps difficult to appreciate what other people ‘out there’, elsewhere in the world, were experiencing and feeling. Peter Richards MW spoke to winemakers in six different nations to find out how they and their teams coped as events developed

[www.decanter.com]

John

France’s first Vaccs'vin is on its way!
18 January 2021 18:00
France’s first Vaccs'vin is on its way!

After the Covid test label by Bordeaux winegrower Jean-Christophe Mauro (Chapelle Bérard), another French winegrower – Christophe Avi at Domaine du Bois de Simon in Lot-et-Garonne – has decided to capitalise on the pandemic. “A female friend of mine suggested that after the test, you need a vaccine!” explained Avi, who is releasing his new label at the end of January.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Everyone Is Breaking Their Toes Because of the Pandemic
18 January 2021 18:03
Everyone Is Breaking Their Toes Because of the Pandemic

In addition to the potentially lethal virus itself, the COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on our health in myriad other ways. Pandemic conditions been linked to a rise in mental illness, substance abuse, obesity and now, apparently, broken toes.

[www.sfgate.com]

John

Whiskypakhuis als vaccinatielocatie aangeboden
21 January 2021 18:22
Whiskypakhuis als vaccinatielocatie aangeboden

Douglas Laing, een grote onafhankelijke bottelaar van Schotse whisky, heeft een van haar pakhuizen aangeboden bij de Schotse overheid voor vaccinaties. Het gebouw heeft een oppervlakte van bijna 1900 vierkante meter en kan 24 uur per dag en zeven dag per week gebruikt worden.

Marketing van de bovenste plank. Iedereen zal zich later de plek van de inenting nog herinneren.

[whiskypassion.nl]

John

Re: Whiskypakhuis als vaccinatielocatie aangeboden
21 January 2021 18:43
Zijn er dan geen andere locaties beschikbaar?
Lijkt inderdaad op een marketingstunt.
TANNINS IN WINE COULD HELP TO INHIBIT COVID-19
29 January 2021 18:12
TANNINS IN WINE COULD HELP TO INHIBIT COVID-19

Research from Taiwan shows that tannins in wine can help fight Covid-19 by effectively inhibiting the activity of two key enzymes within the virus.

John

Covid-weary Parisians find comfort in mulled wine as lockdown looms
29 January 2021 18:32
Covid-weary Parisians find comfort in mulled wine as lockdown looms

The Covid-19 health crisis has turned the warm, spicy red wine into a hot seller in France, a land that prides itself on its wine-making tradition.

[www.thelocal.fr]

John

Should There Be Calorie Labels On Alcohol? Experts Say Yes
03 February 2021 18:36
Should There Be Calorie Labels On Alcohol? Experts Say Yes

While just about everything in the grocery store has nutritional and calorie information printed on it, one item has somehow avoided being labelled. That item being alcohol.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Glass of wine good for the heart? No, says new European study
04 February 2021 17:59
Glass of wine good for the heart? No, says new European study

The report adds to a growing body of research showing that while alcohol may not be bad in moderation, it's certainly not good

[nationalpost.com]

John

Wine Could Help You Fight Covid
09 February 2021 18:59
Wine Could Help You Fight Covid

A medical expert is convinced tannin can help in the fight against Covid. He spoke exclusively to Wine-Searcher.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Bitcoin Bull-Run Boosts Sales of a French Premium Wine Retailer Despite the Coronavirus Pandemic
09 February 2021 19:10
Bitcoin Bull-Run Boosts Sales of a French Premium Wine Retailer Despite the Coronavirus Pandemic

A French wine trading firm has been favored by the recent crypto bull-run, specifically with the bitcoin prices surging across the board. Despite the pandemic, Lasserre & Papillon is making good numbers after founding BTC Wine.

[news.bitcoin.com]

John

The dangers of COVID-19 to serious wine lovers
11 February 2021 18:01
The dangers of COVID-19 to serious wine lovers

In one of the most recent issues of The New York Times Magazine (January 31, 2021), there is a fascinating article entitled "The Forgotten Sense."

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

PANDEMIC LEADS TO SURGE OF INTEREST IN SECOND WINES
15 February 2021 18:06
PANDEMIC LEADS TO SURGE OF INTEREST IN SECOND WINES

The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a surge of interest in the second and third wines of Super Tuscan estates Ornellaia and Tenuta San Guido.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen