Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Etiketten, flessen, glazen, decanters, Tasting Notes.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Glassware Revisited
09 August 2021 16:56
Glassware Revisited

Recently I read an online article about glassware. I learned that during the pandemic last year Americans drank 14% more than the previous year. No surprise given the stress of shelter in place and what with everyone always being home. I also learned that Americans purchased more wine online last year and, not surprisingly, more wine glasses than ever. The article then goes on to quote several industry professionals about their personal glassware choices. One mentioned that they drank wine out of small mason pint jars at home. Another admitted to using old McDonald’s glassware found at a thrift shop when hanging out with friends so as not to be so serious about the whole wine thing.

[www.timgaiser.com]?

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
THE EVOLUTION OF WINE LABELS, AND WHAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THEM
16 August 2021 17:18
THE EVOLUTION OF WINE LABELS, AND WHAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THEM

While over 80% of consumers admit to choosing wine by its label, they tend to admit it sheepishly. But, for as long as they have been in existence, wine labels have, in varying ways, given us many helpful clues—not just about what’s inside the bottle, but about the society that created it. The wine labels of the past can serve as a window into the culture, technology, and values of a given time and place.

[napavalleywineacademy.com]

John

Time for Wine to Go Topless
02 September 2021 17:04
Time for Wine to Go Topless

Are wine capsules a crucial element of the theatre of opening a bottle or a crime against humanity?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

French winegrowers state sulphite content on their labels
08 September 2021 17:26
French winegrowers state sulphite content on their labels

Could this be a first? “Personally, I never seen anyone else do it”, claims Savoy winegrower Didier Berthollier. For the past two years, Domaine la Combe des Grand'Vignes (12 hectares in Chignin, currently converting to organic) has been displaying sulphite concentrations measured at each bottling on the back labels of the dozen wines it produces. The concentrations are compared to the regulatory limits for organic, biodynamic and Association des Vins Naturels wines (see photos below).

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Umami in fermented beverages
13 September 2021 17:26
Umami in fermented beverages

Sensing wine and pairing with food

When describing the sensory perception of wine, also in the context of pairing with food, olfactory sensation (aroma, odour, smell) usually takes priority, and taste and mouthfeel come second. The full concept of flavour formally encompasses smell, taste, and mouthfeel (including astringency and chemesthesis) and some tasters even include visual appearance and auditory sensation. A ‘taste experience’ can thus be defined as a multi-sensoric integration of all these sensory inputs, folded with expectations, previous experiences, culture, social context, etc.: Flavour is in the brain of the taster.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Bottle Variation
15 September 2021 17:18
Bottle Variation

If you pay strict attention to the wines you buy, you may notice that there often are slight differences between two bottles of the "same" wine.

[www.creators.com]

John

Everything you need to know about the use of appellations on wine labels
11 November 2021 17:43
Everything you need to know about the use of appellations on wine labels

Understanding the language of wine labels is difficult even for those of us in the wine industry, or among the wine media. A few weeks ago, for instance, a wine writer contacted me and said she was puzzled by a statement made on this page: that many grapes grown in Lodi go into wines labeled as "Napa Valley."

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

Glass bottle shortages put pressure on wine and spirits companies ahead of key holiday season
26 November 2021 14:08
Glass bottle shortages put pressure on wine and spirits companies ahead of key holiday season

Glass bottles are in short supply, putting pressure on winemakers and distillers ahead of the holiday season.
International freight delays, labor shortages and higher costs have contributed to supply chain challenges for glass suppliers and their customers.
In the short term, consumers may struggle to find their favorite wine and spirits.

[www.cnbc.com]

John

Wine scores and Top 100 lists
14 December 2021 12:54
Wine scores and Top 100 lists

I have noted before that Quality scores changed the wine industry, and created confusion. The fundamental characteristic of quality scores is that they are an opinion, and yet they often get treated as a piece of mathematics. Until this issue is resolved (which it may never be), confusion will continue (along with lots of discussion), which cannot be good for the wine industry; or, indeed, any other industry that asks people to score their customer experience (movies, accommodation, etc).

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Methuselahs, nebuchadnezzars … what’s in a (bottle) name?
22 December 2021 13:13
Methuselahs, nebuchadnezzars … what’s in a (bottle) name?

We frequently discuss the contents of a wine bottle, but what about the bottle itself? This article looks at larger format bottles – available in different shapes and sizes – and the sometimes mysterious, often confusing, origin of their names.

[www.idealwine.info]

John

EMERGING SCIENCE CONFLICTS WITH TRADITIONAL VIEWS OF TASTE AND SMELL
05 January 2022 18:12
EMERGING SCIENCE CONFLICTS WITH TRADITIONAL VIEWS OF TASTE AND SMELL

The view that wine and food lack the cognitive dimension characteristic of genuine aesthetic appreciation is getting more difficult to defend.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

A PERFECT PAIRING: WINE & STATISTICS
05 January 2022 18:25
A PERFECT PAIRING: WINE & STATISTICS

As a wine drinker, Danni Lin is a lightweight. As a wine entrepreneur? That’s a different story. Lin is founder and CEO of Great Wine Inc, which produces seven wine varietals under the label Percipio. And she is managing partner of myVinotype, a platform that guides novice wine drinkers to potential wine preferences.

Lin, who was named to 425 Magazine’s “30 Under 30” list in 2018, believes her UW education (BS, Statistics, 2011; MS, Computational Finance and Risk Management, 2013) has been integral to her success.

“All the skillsets I gained from the UW led to quick job offers after college,” says Lin. “I still use those skills in my work.”

[artsci.washington.edu]

John

‘Waiter! A bottle of 1975 Warhol please’ – why every great artist has to do a wine label
18 January 2022 18:12
‘Waiter! A bottle of 1975 Warhol please’ – why every great artist has to do a wine label

Picasso chose a Mouton Rothschild, Yoko Ono a vintage chianti. But why do artists love doing wine labels – and can they enhance the quaff? Our writer enters a world where labels are so prized, drinkers get them as tattoos

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Glass Half Empty
22 January 2022 13:13
Glass Half Empty

What is it with natural wine bars and their miniature glassware?

Head to any of the world’s temples for minimal intervention vino – Aux Deux Amis in Paris, Amsterdam’s Glou Glou, the Lower East Side’s Ten Bells, Terroirs in London to name just a few – and your drinking receptacle for the night will be a mean-sized bastard son of the INAO/ISO tasting glass. Some call it a bistro glass, I call it a shrunken tulip. Or to be less polite, an abomination designed to prevent full appreciation of the liquid within. Notice that term “tasting glass”? It is specifically not designed to facilitate the pleasure of drinking.

[www.themorningclaret.com]

John

Argentina: a slumbering wine giant awakens
28 January 2022 13:54
Argentina: a slumbering wine giant awakens

Argentina's wine industry has seen meteoric rise in the past decade. Here are 10 wines featured at a recent wine dinner organized by Argentina Consulate General in Hong Kong, that embody why the country's winemaking is at its finest now.

[vino-joy.com]

John

The History of the Champagne Coupe
28 January 2022 13:52
The History of the Champagne Coupe

Firstly, let us tackle the pronunciation of the word coupe as there are quite a few ways it gets announced and only one way can be the correct way!

[glassofbubbly.com]

John

The Lifecycle of a Wine Bottle, From Sand to the Economy of Recycling
31 January 2022 18:04
The Lifecycle of a Wine Bottle, From Sand to the Economy of Recycling

Glass bottles have been the standard for storing wine since the 17th century. But where does the glass come from, and what happens to the bottle after you’re done?

[www.winemag.com]

John

Does Weather Affect the Taste of Wine?
04 February 2022 18:18
Does Weather Affect the Taste of Wine?

Some winemakers claim that barometric pressure changes impact their wines. We investigated

[pix.wine]

John

Hoe belangrijk is een goed wijnglas?
15 February 2022 08:47
Hoe belangrijk is een goed wijnglas?

[www.volkskrant.nl]

John

LEARN TO SHOOT WINE BOTTLES WITH THIS BRILLIANT LIGHTING BREAKDOWN
23 February 2022 18:20
LEARN TO SHOOT WINE BOTTLES WITH THIS BRILLIANT LIGHTING BREAKDOWN

How many times have you been browsing an online wine catalogue or a magazine and stopped to really appreciate the photographs of the bottles? A lot of work goes into designing wine labels and the photography of the bottles, even just the boring old e-commerce shots on white, are actually quite technical.

[www.diyphotography.net]

John

Ukrainian wineries trading wine for weapons – making Molotov cocktails
07 March 2022 18:35
Ukrainian wineries trading wine for weapons – making Molotov cocktails

The only bottling currently underway in Ukrainian wineries is the making of Molotov Cocktails. Work in the vineyards has stopped as winemakers turn their attention to armed resistance to the Russian invasion of their country and delivering humanitarian aid. L.M.Archer hears from some leading winemakers as well as winemaker associations in Ukraine and how some global consortia and retailers are doing their bit for the Ukrainian cause.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Re: Ukrainian wineries trading wine for weapons – making Molotov cocktails
09 March 2022 17:47
How Ukrainian wineries are trading wine for weapons

The only bottling currently underway in Ukrainian wineries is the making of Molotov Cocktails. Work in the vineyards has stopped as winemakers turn their attention to armed resistance to the Russian invasion of their country and delivering humanitarian aid. L.M.Archer hears from some leading winemakers as well as winemaker associations in Ukraine and how some global consortia and retailers are doing their bit for the Ukrainian cause.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Tim Carl, Local Tastes: Are wine scores trustworthy?
14 March 2022 18:05
Tim Carl, Local Tastes: Are wine scores trustworthy?

Citing “shenanigans” and hinting at an industry rife with pay-to-play schemes, quid-pro-quo pressures and payment for pre-public release of information, Lisa Perrotti-Brown, former editor-in-chief at The Wine Advocate — one of the first publications to grade wine quality using a 100-point scale — has left the publication. Her claims bring into question the trustworthiness and usefulness of wine-score-based publications.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

The Cost of Glass Bottles May Be Driving Up the Price of Your Wine
11 April 2022 17:08
The Cost of Glass Bottles May Be Driving Up the Price of Your Wine

Price increases from current global events could move more wineries to consider alternative packaging

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

The Taste Of Wine Can Be Influenced By Music According To A New Study
19 April 2022 17:15
The Taste Of Wine Can Be Influenced By Music According To A New Study

If you think your glass of wine always tastes better with music, we can assure you that you’re not alone.

[www.augustman.com]

John

Paper wine bottle lands in Ocado
20 April 2022 16:50
Paper wine bottle lands in Ocado

Anglo-Italian wine brand, When in Rome, is about to debut its paper bottle via a national listing in Ocado, where it is due to land sometime this month.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Re: Paper wine bottle lands in Ocado
21 April 2022 11:27
Nog lichter dan de plastic fles?
Re: Paper wine bottle lands in Ocado
27 April 2022 17:02
How a Paper Wine Bottle Could Reduce Your Carbon Footprint by Over 80%

Whether it’s a glass of red in the evening post-work or perhaps you’re one for sharing a bottle or two over the weekend, many of us won’t realise the impact that just one single-use glass wine bottle can have on our environment.

[www.memuk.org]

John

Wine bottle foil is wasteful, annoying — and going away
27 May 2022 16:54
Wine bottle foil is wasteful, annoying — and going away

Are we seeing the end of the wine capsule? The capsule, also called the foil, is one of those anachronisms of wine, a relic of centuries-old tradition that hangs on because wine lovers like to think of themselves as part of a centuries-old tradition. But today we are seeing more and more wines bottled without them.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

What's The Point Of Foil Wrapper On Wine Bottles?
31 May 2022 17:21
What's The Point Of Foil Wrapper On Wine Bottles?

Wine can be tricky to understand, especially when it comes to the various features of a wine bottle and the purposes that they serve. A battle between function, tradition, and aesthetic, the top of your wine bottle is no exception. Forbes notes that roughly 60% of wines are sealed with a cork, meaning most bottlenecks are covered with a sleeve. But, what's the point of the foil wrapper?

[www.tastingtable.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen