Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

TCA, kurk, fles en flesafsluiters.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Wine, corks and ecosystems
17 February 2020 18:31
Wine, corks and ecosystems

Closing a bottle with cork significantly reduces the carbon footprint of wine packaging and helps sustain vital ecosystems.

[theecologist.org]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Are Moldy Corks and Bottles Bad for Wine?
25 February 2020 18:32
Are Moldy Corks and Bottles Bad for Wine?

Have you ever looked in your wine refrigerator or cellar and noticed a bit of mold? Don’t worry, you’re not alone, and your wine collection is not in trouble.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Bottles, corks, forests and flights continued
27 February 2020 18:06
Bottles, corks, forests and flights continued

Ramifications of carbon-emission considerations. Glass v the rest. Rail v air. And more.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

How one diner's toxic behaviour nearly cost a youngest sommelier her career
27 March 2020 19:02
How one diner's toxic behaviour nearly cost a youngest sommelier her career

Restaurant etiquette dictates that the customer is always right, but as one wine waiter found after a patron complained, “revenge is sweet” can also fit the bill.

[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

John

No more corked wine? New tech offers hope, says cork producer
08 April 2020 16:50
No more corked wine? New tech offers hope, says cork producer

A new method developed by the world’s largest natural cork maker, Amorim, could go a long way to solving the problem of corked wine, it has said.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: No more corked wine? New tech offers hope, says cork producer
10 April 2020 08:32
Alweer een oplossing? smiling bouncing smiley
Scottish Archaeologists Discover Ruins of Massive Lost Wine-Bottle Glass Factory
23 April 2020 17:48
Scottish Archaeologists Discover Ruins of Massive Lost Wine-Bottle Glass Factory

Bottled up for a century, the Edinburgh glass factory once churned out 1 million units a week—and may have helped shape the modern wine bottle

[www.winespectator.com]

John

How Ernst & Young study shows the carbon benefits of cork closures
29 April 2020 11:51
How Ernst & Young study shows the carbon benefits of cork closures

When it comes to the cork industry’s challenge to win the closures battle, one enormous boost has come in the findings of a Lifecycle Assessment study by Ernst & Young, which shows as scientific fact how cork stoppers can reduce by a quarter the total carbon footprint of an average bottle of still table wine and by almost half that of a bottle of sparkling wine. Mike Turner talks to world-leading cork supplier Amorim, which commissioned the study, and suggests that for an industry that has often been forced into owning a narrative, the carbon footprint argument sits neatly with an already impressive record of sustainability and biodiversity.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

European wine industry joins glass recycling project
11 May 2020 17:41
European wine industry joins glass recycling project

The Comité Européen des Entreprises Vins, which represents a majority of European wine producers, has joined an initiative to promote glass recycling. It hopes to achieve a 90% recycling rate.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Cork Supply: Climate change will be an even bigger issue after lockdown
12 May 2020 17:26
Cork Supply: Climate change will be an even bigger issue after lockdown

One of the world’s largest cork producers was one of few companies in the drinks industry to record positive sales in its first quarter results, as producers stocked up on stoppers before lockdown measures came into force.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Cork Supply comes close to eliminating TCA
25 June 2020 17:40
Cork Supply comes close to eliminating TCA

Portuguese closure manufacturer Cork Supply has unveiled new TCA extraction technology that it claims can achieve a success rate of 99.85% in eliminating the risk of cork taint in cork-sealed wines.

MOOI.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Re: Cork Supply comes close to eliminating TCA
25 June 2020 18:21
Alweer? smiling bouncing smiley

Ik dacht dat ze “de” oplossing haast wel jaar verkondigden.....
Cork in winemaking: history, production, taint and Diam
02 July 2020 17:06
Cork in winemaking: history, production, taint and Diam

As early as the fourth century Egyptians used cork in the production of fishing buoys. However, there is no consensus as to when the first cork was used to stopper a bottle of wine. Corks have been found in Roman shipwrecks dating from the fifth century BC, though it does not appear to have been the usual method of closure. After the fall of the Roman empire, global trade vastly decreased. Between 500 and 1500 cork farmers from the Iberian Peninsula struggled to their products and cork gradually disappeared. In the 17th century cork reemerged and for almost the last four centuries virtually every bottle of wine has been sealed using a cork. However, since the 1970s alternative solutions began to emerge and the cork monopoly looked to be in question. The cause of the onslaught, amongst other things, was a chemical compound known as TCA, otherwise known as cork taint. Despite the growing presence of alternative closures, millions of winemakers drinkers around the world refuse to budge. In this article, I will explore the history of cork in winemaking, it’s production, faults and the future.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Paper bottles: the future of beverage packaging?
17 July 2020 12:30
Paper bottles: the future of beverage packaging?

Diageo has created a 100% plastic-free paper-based spirits bottle, made entirely from sustainably sourced wood. The bottle will debut with Johnnie Walker scotch whisky in early 2021. This comes after Diageo’s partnership with Pilot Lite, a venture management company, to launch Pulpex Limited, a sustainable packaging technology company.

[www.foodprocessing.com.au]

John

Re: Paper bottles: the future of beverage packaging?
20 July 2020 17:12
Hands-on with the next stage in Ruinart’s sustainability commitment

Viticulture is a long-term endeavour, one which is intrinsically linked to the wellbeing of the planet. Much more than being an organisational buzzword, to Ruinart, sustainability is the realisation of their responsibility to preserve. Extending this responsibility beyond the vineyard, for the past 10 years, Ruinart has progressively implemented eco-conscious practises across the entire business, from project proposals to service to packaging. Having already redesigned their existing gift boxes, the second skin is the evolution of this aspect of their commitment.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Paper Beer, Wine and Spirits Bottles are Becoming a Reality
01 August 2020 18:48
Paper Beer, Wine and Spirits Bottles are Becoming a Reality

There is no shortage of waste in the beverage industry. As companies continue to look for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and deliver on green technologies, a number of producers have started to use paper or compostable bottles.

[www.winemag.com]

John

New ‘industry-first sustainable bottle’ biodegrades at accelerated rate
07 August 2020 18:06
New ‘industry-first sustainable bottle’ biodegrades at accelerated rate

So Good So You has repackaged its wellness shots in its new BtrBtl packaging, which biodegrades at an accelerated rate: breaking down plastic ‘in years vs centuries’.

[www.beveragedaily.com]?

John

Why are wine bottles round in shape?
11 August 2020 17:30
Why are wine bottles round in shape?

Think how much space and money could be saved if wine bottles were square instead of round, says Robert Joseph.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Re: Why are wine bottles round in shape?
12 August 2020 08:49
Passen vierkante flessen ook in wijnrekken? Ik heb mijn twijfels.
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Cork Taint
28 August 2020 17:32
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Cork Taint

Ever sit down, pour yourself a glass of wine and have it smell reminiscent of a wet newspaper or moldy basement? Or swirled a glass of wine and noticed it smelled muted, or like nothing at all? If so, chances are your wine was cork tainted, or more commonly, “corked.”

Cork taint is a contaminant in wine caused by musty aroma compounds. The most common culprit is 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA). While some wine flaws, such as brettanomyces and volatile acidity, can be subjective as to whether they hurt or enhance a wine, cork taint is universally considered a flaw at any detectable level.

[www.winemag.com]

John

CORK SUPPLY ELIMINATES TCA
04 September 2020 17:23
CORK SUPPLY ELIMINATES TCA

Calling it a major breakthrough, Portugal-based Cork Supply has introduced a two-step extraction process that guarantees all of its natural cork stoppers are 99.85 percent TCA-free with no off-aromas, a figure the company claims has not been achieved “anywhere else in the world.” All cork stoppers are put through both technological processes at no extra cost to customers.

[www.spiritedbiz.com]

John

Re: CORK SUPPLY ELIMINATES TCA
10 September 2020 18:38
New Studies Reveal High CO2 Retention Rate Across Amorim Cork Stopper Portfolio

Research underscores cork closures' role in advancing wine industry's commitment to sustainability

[www.prnewswire.com]

John

September 2020: pH, TA, and acid adjustments
21 September 2020 17:27
September 2020: pH, TA, and acid adjustments

It is hard to believe it is September already, especially since many winemakers have just begun to process the first fruit of the season. If you are feeling impatient, you are not alone. It seems like the grapes are taking their time this year! The WRE has been working with the Virginia Tech Viticulture and Enology Extension team to track grape ripening across the state as part of their Sentinel Vineyard Project. Through this effort, we have noticed that several grape samples have imbalances in acidity vs. sugar development. For this reason, Dr. Beth Chang and I put together a quick primer on pH, TA, and acid adjustments in wine. Our hope was to provide some quick reminders, needed protocols and some tips for acid adjustment as you consider the additions you may need to do to juice and wine this season. For more information or clarification, feel free to contact either one of us (Beth: eabc@vt.edu)(Joy: VaWREx@gmail.com).

[www.winemakersresearchexchange.com]

John

Dan Berger On Wine: Lightstruck — The problem with clear wine bottles
26 September 2020 09:57
Dan Berger On Wine: Lightstruck — The problem with clear wine bottles

Should the marketing of a wine jeopardize its quality? If so, something is upside-down.

I refer here to the recent popularity of clear glass wine bottles for many white and rosé wines. Clear glass bottles, called in the industry “flint,” are a clever marketing tactic, allowing us all to see the lovely golden color of white wines.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

Glass bottles for wine: exploring the science
14 October 2020 16:59
Glass bottles for wine: exploring the science

Glass is remarkable, yet we tend to take it for granted. Wine wouldn’t be what it is today, were it not for the physical properties of glass bottles. They are inert, stable and able to keep wine in good condition for 100 years or more.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Traditional wine bottles take a back seat to inventive product designs
19 October 2020 17:10
Traditional wine bottles take a back seat to inventive product designs

The evolution of wine bottling

There’s plenty of innovation shifting the way that wine products are being delivered to consumers. While traditional glass bottles won’t disappear anytime soon, there are a range of new, and surprising, options for filling with wine.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Saying Goodbye to the Glass Wine Bottle
26 October 2020 18:28
Saying Goodbye to the Glass Wine Bottle

Is it time to farewell glass and find better ways to serve wine? Oliver Styles is open to persuasion.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Would You Drink This 1695-Year-Old Bottle of Wine?
23 October 2020 17:08
Would You Drink This 1695-Year-Old Bottle of Wine?

The oldest bottle of wine

[medium.com]

John

Re: Would You Drink This 1695-Year-Old Bottle of Wine?
25 October 2020 15:23
Re: Would You Drink This 1695-Year-Old Bottle of Wine?
26 October 2020 17:46
Ochtendwater is er heilig bij.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen