Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Diversen Frankrijk

Gepost door JohnCopier 
How French women winemakers are ‘stronger together’ through Vinifilles
04 February 2022 18:06
How French women winemakers are ‘stronger together’ through Vinifilles

Women winemakers in the South of France are looking for greater balance in how they are treated in the wine business, just as much as how they seek balance in the wines they make. As the Languedoc and Roussillon’s women-only wine association, Vinifilles, celebrates 13 years, The Buyer talks to incoming president Francoise Ollier about how 21 women winemakers are having to work in an environment that has been shaped and directed by men – but starting to make a real difference. Vinifilles was started as a support group in 2009 for helping overcome the unique challenges confronted by women running vineyards alone. Since then it has had a string of successes, from the partnership it has formed with regional Sommelier Schools, to selling ‘Solidarity’ six-packs of wines in order to raise money to help one member overcome the financial impact of losing an entire vintage.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
France Adds Another Appellation
22 February 2022 13:43
France Adds Another Appellation

New appellations, new styles of wine and Prosecco on the march in China – it's all happening this week.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Brad Pitt Sues Angelina Jolie in Winery War Now Involving a Russian Oligarch
22 February 2022 13:14
Brad Pitt Sues Angelina Jolie in Winery War Now Involving a Russian Oligarch

Pitt claims his ex-wife "unlawfully" sold her stake in their Château Miraval winery knowing the buyer, Yuri Shefler, "would seek to control the business to which Pitt had devoted himself"

[www.sfgate.com]

John

Re: Brad Pitt Sues Angelina Jolie in Winery War Now Involving a Russian Oligarch
23 February 2022 18:15
Brad Pitt, Jolie and Château Miraval story takes new twist

Château Miraval has said it is business as usual at the Provence winery, after reports emerged that co-owner Brad Pitt has taken legal action against Angelina Jolie over her sale of a stake in the estate.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Des cépages résistants en AOP Champagne et Bordeaux?
10 March 2022 18:15
Des cépages résistants en AOP Champagne et Bordeaux?

Avec la nouvelle PAC, dès 2023, il sera autorisé d'implanter des cépages hydrides dans les vignes AOP. Ce changement réglementaire est une porte ouverte aux cépages résistants dans les vignobles AOP.

[www.mon-viti.com]

John

3 Wine Regions Where France’s Viognier Grape Flourishes Abroad
22 March 2022 18:40
3 Wine Regions Where France’s Viognier Grape Flourishes Abroad

Its descriptors are as hedonistic as a wine can get: the whiff of blooming honeysuckles on a balmy summer evening, slices of juicy, white-fleshed peaches at a farmers market stall, an oversized vase of jasmine blossoms scenting a luxe hotel lobby. But along with Viognier’s beguiling charm comes a fickleness. Low yields, propensity to powdery mildew and a short ripening window—too early and it’s bland, too late and it’s oily and flabby—are headaches for winemakers.

When it’s perfect, it’s fragrant and voluptuous, with alluring notes of stone fruit, honey, star anise and ginger. Louisa Rose, chief winemaker at Yalumba, notes how those flavors can combine with “lovely richness and softness” in quality Viogniers. “Equally important is that fresh, refreshing finish,” she says.

Here are three regions that deftly temper Viognier’s capriciousness into sheer, unapologetic pleasure.[/b
]

[www.winemag.com]

John

French Vintners Buy Wineries from Sanctioned Russian Oligarch
24 March 2022 18:10
French Vintners Buy Wineries from Sanctioned Russian Oligarch

Dmitry Pumpyansky's family will sell Domaine Prieuré St.-Jean de Bébian in Languedoc and Domaine Ganevat in Jura

[www.winespectator.com]

John

French Wine Producer And Explorer Of Antarctica Studying Terroir Of The Ocean
28 March 2022 18:08
French Wine Producer And Explorer Of Antarctica Studying Terroir Of The Ocean

Twisted and squeezed by the force of the rapids in the river, the hand crafted canoe took on a banana shape as food and a rifle fell out into the swiftly moving river as the two 18-year-old young men paddling the vessel were grabbed by the current that carried them against their will 1,000 feet away to shore. Still fiercely determined to continue their seemingly crazy journey along the desolate trail beginning from the indigenous village of Schefferville in the North East section of the Canadian province of Quebec to the even further north indigenous area of Kangiqsualujjuaq to meet the Inuit people, the young men went back upstream, jumping in the freezing cold water to find their supplies. Nothing could be found and hence they were left with a big decision to make that would forever shape their lives.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Selling Shiraz and screwcaps to the French
05 April 2022 17:35
Selling Shiraz and screwcaps to the French

I wonder whether curious wine lovers realise how lucky they are if they live outside the world’s three major wine-producing countries, France, Italy and Spain.

Here in London, and in major cities in the US, northern Europe, Asia, even South America and definitely in Australia, we can choose from a dizzying array of wines from different countries and regions.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Preserving the Multiplicity of Voices in French Fine Wines
19 April 2022 17:13
Preserving the Multiplicity of Voices in French Fine Wines

An INSEAD conference for family-owned French wine estates reveals important lessons for the continuity of excellence in other sectors.

“The wine industry is a striking study in contrasts,” says Neal Rosenthal, a US importer of fine European wines. On the one hand, there are small family-owned estates committed to the concept of terroir – defined by the unique geological qualities of a region as well as its cultural and wine-producing traditions. On the other, there are global brands that depend upon reliability, predictability and mass-market distribution.

[knowledge.insead.edu]

John

Macron re-election: a victory for the French wine industry?
27 April 2022 17:13
Macron re-election: a victory for the French wine industry?

Emmanuel Macron, the incumbent President of the French Republic who once famously said “a meal without wine is a bit sad”, secured over 58% of the vote in yesterday’s election to defeat far-right candidate Marine Le Pen.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Wordless Wines
31 May 2022 17:25
Wordless Wines

Though it may surprise you, I’ve only been to Paris twice. Both times were on the same trip in the fall of 1987 when my wife Carla and I went to Europe together for the first time. We stayed in the City of Lights at the beginning and end of our trek. Never having previously set foot on French soil, much less Paris, I utterly geeked out on art museums and cathedrals. Carla quickly had her fill of both, so we often split up for several hours at a time while I continued to gawk at incredible art in the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, and other museums.

[www.timgaiser.com]

John

French Revolution: The First Growths in the firing line
27 June 2022 17:50
French Revolution: The First Growths in the firing line

By the time the French Revolution swept into Bordeaux, the First Growths were well established as serious forces guiding the local wine market, and their owners found much of the eighteenth century a profitable and enjoyable place to be. Their status as nobles, however, meant that inevitably they were directly in the firing line of the huge social changes that rocked France, and three of the five estates would find themselves minus their owners by the time the dust had settled.

[janeanson.com]

John

Chris D. Craiker, Architecture and Wine: The evolution of wine — and its buildings — in France
25 July 2022 14:50
Chris D. Craiker, Architecture and Wine: The evolution of wine — and its buildings — in France

The Romans carried winemaking throughout their empire and across Southern European nations from Spain to modern-day Romania. For the Romans, wine was more than an elixir, it was a valuable trading commodity and traveled everywhere. The Greeks were the first bearer of wine to France about 600 BCE, but it was the early Christian monks and nuns who were the key to creating the beverage we know today as wine.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

Horses are again working in French vineyards
06 August 2022 11:54
Horses are again working in French vineyards

Two horses, moving surprisingly briskly between rows of vines, are clawing up weeds with rakes they drag behind them. It’s a scene that, not so long ago, you might only see in a sepia postcard conjuring a bygone age.

[www.marketplace.org]

John

How has the vineyard composition of France changed recently?
08 August 2022 17:14
How has the vineyard composition of France changed recently?

A few weeks ago, I wrote about long-term changes in the vineyards of the USA (How has the vineyard area of the US states changed over the past century?), comparing the vineyard area in the distant past with what it is now. Also, I had previously done a similar thing for the vineyards of France (France's changing vineyards) and Australia (Australia's changing vineyards), although covering only the most recent six decades.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Why France's Wine Production May Be Out Of Danger
20 August 2022 10:12
Why France's Wine Production May Be Out Of Danger

Last year was especially nerve-wracking for winemakers and wine drinkers alike. The outlook on wine production was so dismal in November, that the International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) put out a press release announcing the global production volume of wine was anticipated to be below average for the third year in a row. The OIV explained that "late spring frost and overall unfav[o]rable climatic conditions" in the European Union, especially in Italy, Spain, and France, were the reasons for the unfortunate forecast. The potential wine shortage wasn't just a concern for oenophiles; it also may have cut down on some of the cheer for anyone trying to find champagne to toast the holidays for year-end celebrations.

[www.mashed.com]

John

A guide to the grapes of France
31 August 2022 17:06
A guide to the grapes of France

French vineyards are divided into several large regions which differentiate from each other in the climatic conditions and specific terroirs, as well as the grape varieties for which these regions are known. We take you on a tour de France of symbolic varietals.

[www.idealwine.info]

John

Northern French spoil heaps warm to Charbonnay production
27 September 2022 13:30
Northern French spoil heaps warm to Charbonnay production

HAILLICOURT, France, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Forget hiking or skiing, the latest trend on the spoil heaps that litter northern France's deindustrialised landscape is wine-growing, made possible by a warming climate.

[www.reuters.com]

John

Re: Northern French spoil heaps warm to Charbonnay production
30 September 2022 12:38
The French Wine That's Being Grown On Top Of Coal Mining Waste

As far north as you can go in France, there's a region called Nord-Pas-de-Calais. It's nestled due west of Belgium, and it's subdivided into two departments, Nord and Pas-de-Calais. It's not known for its wine. In fact, tourism-geared Regions of France says, "The Nord-Pas-de-Calais region does not have great wines to offer," and Wine Regions of the World concurs. In fact, the region is much better known for its beer production and for wine-lovers, for its proximity to Burgundy and Champagne.

[www.tastingtable.com]

John

French wine output to rise 18% after early harvest
09 October 2022 13:00
French wine output to rise 18% after early harvest

PARIS, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Wine production in France this year should reach 44.6 million hectolitres, 18% above last year's frost-ravaged output, the farm ministry said on Friday as harvesting that started early due to dry summer conditions draws to a close.

[www.reuters.com]

John

France Loses the Creator of Vin de France - and a Formidable Blogeur
19 November 2022 13:14
France Loses the Creator of Vin de France - and a Formidable Blogeur

In 2001, Jacques Berthomeau who died this month, shocked the French wine establishment by recommending the creation of a new classification called Vin de France that would enable producers to compete with varietal wines from the New World. Eight years later, his idea became reality. Today, it is a huge success - both for those exports, and - perhaps surprisingly for him - for many of the natural wine producers Berthomeau later wrote about in his blog.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Fine Wine Power 100: Burgundy Overtakes Bordeaux, Ch. Margaux Loses Top 10 Place
28 November 2022 17:58
Fine Wine Power 100: Burgundy Overtakes Bordeaux, Ch. Margaux Loses Top 10 Place

London-based wine exchange Liv-ex has released its latest Power 100 list of the strongest fine wine brands or producers. The list is based on the period from 1 October 2021 to 30 September 2022. Bordeaux is ousted from the top 10, the list is now dominated by Burgundy.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

TOP 100 WINES OF FRANCE 2022
12 December 2022 18:15

This year’s Top 100 Wines of France list celebrates the fantastic 2019 vintage in Bordeaux. Of the more than 5,500 French wines the JamesSuckling.com team tasted this year, the 1,500 or so Bordeaux 2019s stood out for their quality of fruit, structure and freshness. And standing atop all of them is our French Wine of the Year, the Château Smith-Haut-Lafitte Pessac-Léognan 2019. It leads the charge of 53 Bordeaux wines from the 2019 vintage in the top 100.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

23 December 2022 13:17

This year’s Top 100 Wines of France list celebrates the fantastic 2019 vintage in Bordeaux. Of the more than 5,500 French wines the JamesSuckling.com team tasted this year, the 1,500 or so Bordeaux 2019s stood out for their quality of fruit, structure and freshness. And standing atop all of them is our French Wine of the Year, the Château Smith-Haut-Lafitte Pessac-Léognan 2019. It leads the charge of 53 Bordeaux wines from the 2019 vintage in the top 100.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

Montlouis, Pessac-Léognan et Menetou-Salon en petites lampées ...
03 January 2023 14:23
Montlouis, Pessac-Léognan et Menetou-Salon en petites lampées ...

BOURGES. Que des vins de plus de dix ans pour un apéro-dînatoire de lendemain de fête. Un montlouis 2003 de Laurent Chatenay*, un pessac-léognan 2009, le second vin de Château de Rouillac et un menetou-salon 2011, en magnum, de Philippe Gilbert.

[www.fou-rgeot-de-vin.com]

John

The World’s Richest Man Is Now A French Wine Producer
05 January 2023 18:05
The World’s Richest Man Is Now A French Wine Producer

Bernard Arnault, a French businessman, is now estimated to be the world’s richest man according to the Forbes ranking. He has overtaken Elon Musk as a result of the dramatic drop in the Tesla share price and the strong performance of LVMH. Arnault’s net worth is estimated at $180 billion. That is $33 bn more than Musk’s. Arnault’s fortune is based on his stake in the French luxury conglomerate LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy, or, more often, Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton). It includes fashion, luxury bags and accessories, perfume and cosmetics, jewellery, and also wine and spirits.

[www.forbes.com]

John

The first leaves appear on vines in France, before the end of pruning!
17 January 2023 11:14
The first leaves appear on vines in France, before the end of pruning!

It surely cannot be common to see leaves on Grenache vines in the middle of winter. On 9 January, a winegrower in the southern part of Gard in the South of France posted the first – of many? – photos illustrating how early the season is.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

The French Colonization of Algeria and the Untold History of the French Appellation System
07 February 2023 14:05
The French Colonization of Algeria and the Untold History of the French Appellation System

Algeria - and French Settler Colonialism

For some, wine offers a feeling of belonging - a rootedness to beauty, wealth, and culture. For others, however, wine is a symbol of colonial and religious oppression. After the arrival of French settlers in the mid 1800s, the success of viticulture in Algeria signaled a significant loss of personal and political freedom for its native people who were forced to leave their own lands and surrender their crops and farmland for the enterprise of settler viticulture.

[www.thevinguard.com]

John

French government approves fund to help French vignerons
14 February 2023 14:47
French government approves fund to help French vignerons

The French government has announced a €160 million fund to help vignerons deal with oversupply of wine and has approved in principal the uprooting of vines.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen