Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Techniek in en rond de wijn, oxidation

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Grant funds high-tech system to improve grapevine pruning
27 February 2020 18:09
Grant funds high-tech system to improve grapevine pruning

Researchers from Cornell and Pennsylvania State University are developing a high-tech, portable imaging system that will increase profits and yields by making winter grapevine pruning more efficient.

[news.cornell.edu]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Test-Tube Tasting? Bev Tech Company Unveils Grape-less 'Molecular Wine'
27 February 2020 18:11
Test-Tube Tasting? Bev Tech Company Unveils Grape-less 'Molecular Wine'

Can wine be made in a lab without one very key ingredient and still taste like the real thing?

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Yeast; The Silent Winemaker
09 March 2020 18:13
Yeast; The Silent Winemaker

Imagine a mid-day snack, some cheeses, marmite on fresh bread toast, maybe a croissant and a glass of wine or cold beer. None would be possible without yeast.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Sulfur, sulfites and sulfides: a primer
09 March 2020 18:15
Sulfur, sulfites and sulfides: a primer

Pictured above: Vancouver harbour has a famous sulfur pile. It’s stored here after arriving as a by product of oil extraction in Alberta, and is then loaded onto ships and sent to its various destinations.

[wineanorak.com]

John

First conclusive results on agrivoltaics in France
10 March 2020 18:14
First conclusive results on agrivoltaics in France

Vines thrive under the shade afforded by photovoltaic panels according to preliminary results thrown up by the pilot site in Piolenc, Vaucluse, in the Rhone Valley. Out of 1,000 m2 of vines planted to Grenache noir, 600 m2 were covered with solar panels developed by Sun'Agri.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

The Chemistry of Canned Wines
10 March 2020 18:18
The Chemistry of Canned Wines

Wine in cans is an increasingly popular alternative packaging option but some producers report occasional issues with shelf stability and quality degradation.

[grapesandwine.cals.cornell.edu]

John

New smart bottle caps will detect counterfeit wine by giving bottles a ‘digital birth certificate’
13 March 2020 13:24
New smart bottle caps will detect counterfeit wine by giving bottles a ‘digital birth certificate’

An Australian tech startup is pitching wineries on a new smart bottle cap it says could help identify counterfeit wines.

[en.brinkwire.com]

John

Undercompressive shocks proposed to explain 'tears of wine' phenomenon
13 March 2020 13:31
Undercompressive shocks proposed to explain 'tears of wine' phenomenon

New research explores the fluid dynamics behind a phenomenon known as tears...

[phys.org]

John

‘Tressage’: an alternative to hedging vines, that claims to have some benefits
14 April 2020 17:18
‘Tressage’: an alternative to hedging vines, that claims to have some benefits

In viticulture, a widely practiced form of leaf removal is hedging of the canopies, taking off the developing shoots at the top, as well as any extra growth sticking out into the row. The goal here is twofold: to tidy up the vineyard by removing unwanted growth, and also to slow down the vegetative phase of growth and get the vine to focus on fruit ripening.

[wineanorak.com]

John

So You Think You Know Malo?
14 April 2020 17:10
So You Think You Know Malo?

Examining misconceptions and lesser-known facts about malolactic fermentation in wine

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

Brettanomyces spp. control: a research-winery crosstalk.
27 April 2020 17:42
Brettanomyces spp. control: a research-winery crosstalk.

The Brettanomyces spp. contamination during winemaking and its persistence in the cellar have a detrimental effect on the high-quality wines and produce economic losses worldwide. The Brettanomyces spp. wine spoilage is largely due to the volatile phenols (VPs) production with a depreciation of the wine bottles.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Nitrogen in viticulture and winemaking: an exploration from vine to bottle
28 April 2020 17:12
Nitrogen in viticulture and winemaking: an exploration from vine to bottle

Besides that which is essential for photosynthesis, namely carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight, grapevines also require a range of nutrients in order to grow, survive and prosper. These nutrients are split into two groups depending on scale of requirement, macro and micronutrient, the former being those required in larger amounts. Nitrogen is the most abundant soil‐derived macronutrient in the grapevine. It plays a major role in all processes and a significant amount of nitrogen is essential for normal vine growth. In viticulture a nitrogen deficiency may affect key metabolic functions and retard shoot development and bunch formation. In winemaking a shortage of yeast assimilable nitrogen can result in problematic fermentations. In this article I will explore nitrogen in viticulture from soil to bottle.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

What is a Beautiful Wine (2)
29 April 2020 11:43
What is a Beautiful Wine (2)

This post continues my series on whether the millennia-long debate over the nature of beauty can give us important insights into wine quality. (Part 1 is here)

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

A wine bottle that’s flat out different
29 April 2020 16:57
A wine bottle that’s flat out different

Jason Sych puts the flat wine bottle through its paces, to see if it does what its creator promises it can do.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Infographic: the chemistry of Sauvignon Blanc
01 May 2020 17:24
Infographic: the chemistry of Sauvignon Blanc

It’s Sauvignon Blanc day! Here’s a nice infographic from the Bragato Research Institute on the chemistry of Sauvignon Blanc:

[wineanorak.com]

John

Mats Made From Nanofibers Linked To A Red Wine Chemical Could Help Prevent Oxidation
07 May 2020 17:38
Mats Made From Nanofibers Linked To A Red Wine Chemical Could Help Prevent Oxidation

Texas A&M engineering researchers have created mesh-like mats made with tannic acid. Used in bandages or inside food storage containers, they can help promote prolonged antioxidant activity.

[today.tamu.edu]

John

Scientists find genetic link to alcohol misuse
28 May 2020 17:15
Scientists find genetic link to alcohol misus

Researchers from the Yale School of Medicine have identified 29 genetic variants that are found in people with a problematic relationship with alcohol.

[www.thespiritsbusiness.com]

John

Robots armed with UV light fight grape mildew
05 June 2020 11:56
Robots armed with UV light fight grape mildew

Robots fitted with ultraviolet light lamps that roam vineyards at night are proving effective at killing powdery mildew, a devastating pathogen for many crops, including grapes.

[news.cornell.edu]

John

Alain Bouquet’s first disease-resistant varieties listed in the French catalogue
05 June 2020 17:21
Alain Bouquet’s first disease-resistant varieties listed in the French catalogue

This is the latest step towards recognition of the visionary work by late French researcher Alain Bouquet on grape varieties resistant to fungal diseases (downy and powdery mildew). After the academic tribute from the National Institute for Agronomic Research (INRA), the Official Catalogue of Species and Varieties of Plants Grown in France can register two of his new varieties following publication of the March 13 decree - Rebelia (red) and Recybel (white). Approved by the Technical Standing Committee for Vine Breeding (CTPS), the registrations mark the successful completion of the Fijus project, whose aim is to obtain varieties specific to grape juice production.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

The science of flor: what’s that growing on my wine?
08 June 2020 17:37
The science of flor: what’s that growing on my wine?

What is flor? It’s something that grows on the surface of wine: a film of yeasts. And it alters the flavour of the wine in interesting ways. Currently in fashion, it’s a subject that’s worth finding out about.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Why Simple Carbon Dioxide Is the Hottest New Ingredient in Modern Winemaking
08 June 2020 17:40
Why Simple Carbon Dioxide Is the Hottest New Ingredient in Modern Winemaking

Carbonic maceration is without a doubt one of the cooler phrases in winemaking. It sounds like the name of an epic electronic band or the title of a great sci-fi sequel.

[www.themanual.com]

John

Juice stabulation, an interesting winemaking technique
30 June 2020 16:55
Juice stabulation, an interesting winemaking technique

Juice stabulation is a newly famous winemaking technique. It was first used by winemakers in Gascony a couple of decades ago, but it is its recent adoption by rosé winemakers in Provence that has given this way of making wine more attention. Their rosé wines have got progressively paler over the years, and this has presented winemakers with a bit of a challenge. Many of the flavour compounds in red wine come from the skins, and for rosé this is also true, albeit to a lesser extent because of the short time it is left in contact with the skins – just long enough to get the desired colour. So if the wines are getting paler, the length of time in contact with the skins is getting shorter, and the extraction of flavour compounds is getting lower. This results in wines with less flavour, so Provençal winemakers have come up with a technique to offset this, called juice stabulation.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Fighting Vineyard Fungal Disease, With and Without Copper
06 July 2020 17:36
Fighting Vineyard Fungal Disease, With and Without Copper

For organic vintners, copper-based sprays have proven to be the most effective tool for combatting downy mildew. Prevalent in regions with warm, humid springs and summers, the fungal disease can wipe out entire vintages. Left untreated, it can even kill grapevines. For organic producers in large parts of northern Europe and the eastern U.S., copper is therefore not just a tool, but a necessity.

[vinepair.com]

John

The Divisive Impact of Brettanomyces in Wine
15 July 2020 17:34
The Divisive Impact of Brettanomyces in Wine

Winemakers will tell you that Brettanomyces is either the root of all evil, or amazing yeasts with something beautiful to share with the world. Brett can also be a Jekyll and Hyde: an asset one moment, a destructive force shortly thereafter.

[www.winemag.com]

John

A SWOT analysis of going ‘wild’
21 July 2020 17:39
A SWOT analysis of going ‘wild’

Using indigenous yeast from a winemaker’s perspective

No matter what your winemaking style, the wine region you are from, the grape variety you are working with, how many trophies you have won or what football team you barrack for – one thing stays reliably constant in winemaking: the sugars (carbohydrates) in grapes are turned into alcohol and carbon dioxide by tiny legends called yeast. This is the glory of fermentation.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Scientists make wine and cheese using weeds
23 July 2020 17:31
Scientists make wine and cheese using weeds

Scientists at South Ural State University (SUSU) have discovered that the extract of a common weed plant, Bidens pilosa, is a promising source of enzymes for the food industry. According to the authors, the technique can produce cheaper plant alternatives to expensive enzymes necessary in wine and cheese production. The study is published in the International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research.

[phys.org]

John

Malolactische fermentatie: kennis versus praktijk
23 July 2020 18:00
Malolactische fermentatie: kennis versus praktijk

Maret Du Toit, Stellenbosch University - Elda Lerm, Ankergist

De kennis, doelstellingen en het beheer van malolactische fermentatie (MLF) zijn de afgelopen jaren sterk geëvolueerd. Tot voor kort was Oenococus oeni het belangrijkste micro-organisme dat verantwoordelijk was en het enige doel was om het aanwezige appelzuur te consumeren.

[www.infowine.com]#

John

Premox explained
01 August 2020 18:53
Premox explained

Premature oxidation (premox) is a scourge that has affected white burgundy since the mid-nineties. It needs to be distinguished from natural oxidation, which occurs in all wines over a long period.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Nanofiltration process as non-thermal alternative to thermovinification in Pinot noir winemaking
11 August 2020 17:13
Nanofiltration process as non-thermal alternative to thermovinification in Pinot noir winemaking

Spread the love

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

DMDC – an insurance policy
13 August 2020 17:01
DMDC – an insurance policy

Dimethyl dicarbonate (DMDC) is a chemical antimicrobial additive that can be used in addition to sulfur
dioxide when there is increased risk of microbiological growth in wine. Its main use has been as an
insurance policy when bottling wines with residual sugar or as a control against Brettanomyces or other
viable microorganisms when adequate levels of sulfur dioxide or filtration are not achievable. In this
column, Adrian Coulter answers some of the questions that arise when winemakers consider using DMDC
at bottling

[www.awri.com.au]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen