Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Techniek in en rond de wijn, oxidation

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Phenolic composition, quality and authenticity of grapes and wines by vibrational spectroscopy
17 August 2020 16:54
Phenolic composition, quality and authenticity of grapes and wines by vibrational spectroscopy

Over the last years, spectroscopy has shown increasing interest in the wine science field mainly due to its potential applications. Several spectroscopic techniques, have been applied for different purposes. The improvement on the instruments, techniques and chemometric tools opens a wide range of possibilities of replacing old physical, chemical, and microbiological methods. Today, spectroscopy offers more suitable, automatic, real-time, fast, accurate, direct, and non-destructive analysis that can be successfully applied in the wine industry.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Second Acts: Leaving Science, Architecture and Academia for Wine
20 August 2020 17:30
Second Acts: Leaving Science, Architecture and Academia for Wine

Wine Enthusiast‘s annual 40 Under 40 feature praises the up and coming generation of individuals who move the drinks industry forward, but youth is certainly not required to forge a successful career in the beverage world. Some wine pros who entered the business later in their lives have used diverse experiences to their advantage.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Vine Click: Augmented Reality in the Vineyard, and in Your Pocket
21 August 2020 17:08
Vine Click: Augmented Reality in the Vineyard, and in Your Pocket

First thing's first. Wildfires have, once again, ignited in California, sparked by more than 20,000 lightning strikes and intensified by record-breaking heat. As of Wednesday afternoon, the LNU Lightning Complex of fires had burned more than 46,000 acres in Sonoma, Lake, Napa and Solano counties. Tens of thousands of people are under evacuation orders around the state.

We are acutely aware of the personal devastation that these fires cause. That impact is top of mind, as we actively look for ways to help.

Full stop.

[www.enolytics.com]

John

Demystifying additives in winemaking and viticulture
21 August 2020 17:15
Demystifying additives in winemaking and viticulture

Growing awareness of the impact of food on wellbeing is a good step forward in terms of public health. However, there is growing concern over whether it is problematic to consider all preservatives and additives in general as harmful. An unfortunate byproduct of growing public concern has been that unscrupulous charlatans are more able to sensationalise objectively harmless additives and capitalise upon unsuspecting consumers.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Bird damage management in vineyards: Comparing efficacy of a bird psychology-incorporated unmanned aerial vehicle system with netting and visual scaring

Bird damage to wine grapes is a significant global problem that cost the wine industry millions of dollars every year. Many bird management methods were developed to reduce damage, yet there are currently very few cost-effective solutions. Recent development of autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) presents opportunities in using this new technology for bird management. Many researchers proposed bird management methods that utilised UAVs. However, there is very little research assessing the efficacy of these methods based upon managed trials in vineyards.

John

Assessing Structure
03 September 2020 11:41
Assessing Structure

Structure in wine is important--really important. By structure I mean the levels of alcohol, acidity, phenolic bitterness (white wines), and tannin (red wines). Personally, I think a wine’s structure is its very bones. It also speaks to grape variety, place of origin, climate, timing of harvest, winemaking techniques, and so much more.

[www.timgaiser.com]?

John

Brettanomyces bruxellensis biofilm mode of life
08 September 2020 17:24
Brettanomyces bruxellensis biofilm mode of life

Biofilms are complex associations of single- and multiple- species interconnected cells embedded in a hydrated self-produced matrix established at solid/liquid or liquid/air interfaces. Biofilm development is a dynamic process including the key steps of (i) the adhesion (ii) the maturation of microcolonies in a three-dimensional structure, and (iii) the detachment during which cells acquire a particular phenotype (Figure 1). Extracellular substances (ECS) produced throughout biofilm development are mainly composed of polysaccharides, proteins, extracellular DNA and lipids. Biofilm mode of life allows microorganisms to better adapt to environmental conditions, especially chemical and physical resistance. This growth strategy, through the surface colonization and the increase of stress resistance, contributes to the persistence of microorganisms in different environments, such as those encountered in the food industry. Many studies have investigated the presence of biofilms, especially in the case of negative effects due to the risk of recurrent contamination of food and raw materials by pathogenic or spoilage species.

John

La bactérie tueuse d'oliviers et de vignes repérée dans l'Aude ne s'attaquerait qu'aux plantes d'ornement
16 September 2020 16:55
La bactérie tueuse d'oliviers et de vignes repérée dans l'Aude ne s'attaquerait qu'aux plantes d'ornement

Une crainte planait aprés la découverte dans l'Aude de la bactérie xylella fastidiosa. La Direction régionale de l’Alimentation, de l’Agriculture et de la Forêt a rassuré le monde agricole : les analyses ont identifié une sous-espèce nuisible pour les plantes d'ornement.

[france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr]

John

In praise of wine typicity
16 September 2020 17:24
In praise of wine typicity

Robert Joseph finds he’s changed his mind on the question of changing wine styles.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Genetic markers are the future of viticulture
25 September 2020 17:16
Genetic markers are the future of viticulture

Researchers say a new technique will improve genetic transfer rates across grapevine species from 2% to 92%.

[www.farmprogress.com]

John

How a process using ‘fluid’ carbon dioxide could stop your wine from spoiling
26 September 2020 09:54
How a process using ‘fluid’ carbon dioxide could stop your wine from spoiling

In France, one firm has been developing a process that looks to tackle the issue of tainted wine with a process that uses carbon dioxide.

By-products of the process can also be recycled and reused in other sectors.

[www.cnbc.com]

John

Ιn vitro effects of Vitis vinifera L. leaf extract on UV-stressed human dermal fibroblasts
28 September 2020 17:05
Ιn vitro effects of Vitis vinifera L. leaf extract on UV-stressed human dermal fibroblasts

The ever-increasing ultraviolet radiation reaching the surface of the earth has resulted in skin overexposure and accounts, in part, for skin-related disorders. UV radiation is classified to three types depending on radiation wavelength, UVA (320-400nm), UVB (280-320nm) and UVC (200-280nm)...

John

Making better wine and beer with machine learning
30 September 2020 16:52
Making better wine and beer with machine learning

Fires during summer 2019–2020 decimated entire vineyards in South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales, but smoke, which was far more widespread and insidious, seeped into grapes and into fermenting barrels, yielding unpleasant, unsaleable product.

[www.foodprocessing.com.au]

John

The importance of soil health for winegrape production
06 October 2020 11:55
The importance of soil health for winegrape production

In no other crop is the importance of environmental conditions for the quality of the final product appreciated as much as in winegrapes. The effects of the soil on wine quality, when combined with climate, topography and grapevine variety are encompassed in the well-known concept of terroir. Inherent soil properties such as the depth, texture mineralogy, nutrient content, infiltration and water holding capacity, are known to have an impact on the grape chemical composition, therefore affecting wine quality.

John

Satellite imagery : a tool for large scale vineyard management
06 October 2020 12:11
Satellite imagery : a tool for large scale vineyard management

Remote sensing, using Near Infra Red wavelength, can characterize within-vineyard variability using vegetation index. Between 2007 and 2009, a study was led on the vineyards of a cooperative winery, in Fitou area (France) aiming at characterizing vineyard oenological potential. A vegetation index, green leaf cover, developed on crops (wheat, rice, corn…) was implemented on vineyards.

[ives-openscience.eu]

John

Does darkness work with Untouched by Light – the first ‘light-free’ wine?
06 October 2020 16:56
Does darkness work with Untouched by Light – the first ‘light-free’ wine?

Grapes picked at night by harvesters wearing night-vision goggles is one of the lasting images behind the making of Untouched by Light, the world’s first wine to be harvested, produced, aged and packaged completely in the dark. It is the brainchild of Slovenian winery Radgonske Gorice with the inspiration coming from a paper written by Professor Ann C. Noble, the creator of the wine flavour wheel. But does this elaborate process make a difference? Anne Krebiehl MW was at the virtual tasting and tasted (in the dark obviously) along with winemaker Klavdija Topolovec Špur.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Re: Does darkness work with Untouched by Light – the first ‘light-free’ wine?
09 October 2020 09:11
Je moet wat verzinnen om aandacht te krijgen.
Druiven zijn het ultieme product, voor wijnliefhebbers dan, van fotosynthese en daar is licht toch wel de belangrijkste factor van cool smiley
Om dan vervolgens na de groei te stoppen met licht?
Geinig maar voor mij geen enkele toevoeging.
How a new frost-resistant grape could make British red wine come of age
15 October 2020 17:19
How a new frost-resistant grape could make British red wine come of age

Only a tiny percentage of wine produced in the UK ends up as the red, still variety. But that could be set to change thanks to a marvel of viticultural tinkering.

[www.nationalgeographic.co.uk]

John

What’s The Deal With Carbonic Maceration In Wine?
29 October 2020 18:31
What’s The Deal With Carbonic Maceration In Wine?

“I have always been a fan of carbonic maceration wines,” shares Tonya Pitts, sommelier and wine consultant. “This style of wine has its place in the world of wine. It is fresh, bright, easy drinking with the correct amount of fruit and tannin structure.”

[www.forbes.com]

John

This Seawater-Infused Wine Is Sweet, Thick, and Not at All Salty
04 November 2020 18:20
This Seawater-Infused Wine Is Sweet, Thick, and Not at All Salty

After 2,500 years, wine enthusiasts bring back a wine adored by ancient Greeks.

[www.hakaimagazine.com]

John

Technique Boasts 100% Accuracy in Wine Authentication
16 November 2020 18:07
Technique Boasts 100% Accuracy in Wine Authentication

For as long as wine has been made, it has been manipulated, adulterated and counterfeited. It was a huge problem in ancient Rome and it’s still a problem today with rough estimates indicating about 5 percent of wines sold globally are counterfeit.

[www.laboratoryequipment.com]

John

Is the “Pied de Cuve” a credible alternative to manage indigenous alcoholic fermentation?
30 November 2020 18:21
Is the “Pied de Cuve” a credible alternative to manage indigenous alcoholic fermentation?

The use of Active Dry Yeast (ADY) as a fermentation starter is widely recommended to secure the process and avoid sluggish or stuck fermentation. In an opposite direction, there is an increasing demand from wine producers to use indigenous S. cerevisiae strains from their own vineyards with the aim of limiting oenological inputs during the process and to try to increase specificities associated with the local “terroir”. Indeed, the selection of yeast strains from indigenous populations for industrial development has been the subject of different studies (Di Maro et al., 2007; Settanni et al., 2012; Tofalo et al., 2009; Tofalo et al., 2014; Garofalo et al., 2018a). However, in some cases, spontaneous fermentations could lead to irregular wine quality due to lack of alcoholic fermentation control, and resulted in potential alterations to the final products. Thus, there is a need for new developments and guidelines to improve technological processes for exploiting indigenous microorganisms.[/b]

John

Yeast: How a Mighty Little Fungus Evolved To Change the World
02 December 2020 18:29
Yeast: How a Mighty Little Fungus Evolved To Change the World

Without alcohol, it’s fair to say that modern society would look quite different. Beer, for instance, is believed by some archeologists to be the reason humans transitioned from hunter-gatherers to farmers. And wine has been an integral part of life around the world for centuries.

[www.winemag.com]

John

The Impact of DNA Research on Traditional Winemaking
02 December 2020 18:33
The Impact of DNA Research on Traditional Winemaking

Since the Romans began planting vines throughout their empire in the centuries before the birth of Christ, man has had to adapt to environmental issues and problems.

[www.theexaminernews.com]

John

Delayed malolactic fermentation: exploring the stylistic and practical impacts
14 December 2020 14:05
Delayed malolactic fermentation: exploring the stylistic and practical impacts

Though almost universally referred to as malolactic fermentation, the process through which tart-tasting malic acid is converted to softer tasting lactic acid and carbon dioxide released is not technically a fermentation. More accurately it is a conversion or transformation.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Polyphenols in Wine Authenticity
16 December 2020 18:08
Polyphenols in Wine Authenticity

Polyphenols constitute a diverse group of bioactive compounds occurring in both grapes and wines. Polyphenols also exhibit a significant role in modern food technology and human nutrition and are frequently key ingredients in functional foods. The benefits derived from the moderated wine consumption for human health have been well elaborated with several groups of phenolic compounds including stilbenes, flavonols, and proanthocyanidins found to exert various health-promoting properties.

John

WSU researchers discover new methods to fight invasive yeast in red winemaking
16 December 2020 18:27
WSU researchers discover new methods to fight invasive yeast in red winemaking

New research from Washington State University scientists has revealed better techniques to fight a barrel-dwelling spoilage yeast that has frustrated winemakers for decades.

[news.wsu.edu]

John

Re: WSU researchers discover new methods to fight invasive yeast in red winemaking
16 December 2020 18:28
WSU researchers studying spread of red blotch virus in vineyards

RICHLAND, Wa. – Grapevine red blotch disease spreads through vineyards and blotches leaves, shrinking wine and juice grape harvests.

[news.cahnrs.wsu.edu]

John

No sulphites added wine: the great debate
12 January 2021 18:10
No sulphites added wine: the great debate

The use of sulphur dioxide as a preservative in winemaking is a contentious topic, and it elicits strong opinions from producers and wine lovers alike. Rupert Joy gives an overview of the issue, weighing the pros and cons of an SO2-free approach

[www.decanter.com]

John

Quest for a disease-resistant vineyard continues
18 January 2021 18:18
Quest for a disease-resistant vineyard continues

Wine Australia’s Regional Program in Riverina continues its quest to determine the best grapevine cultivars with resistance to powdery mildew and downy mildew for Riverina.

[www.wineaustralia.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen