Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Midden, Oost Europa en verre oosten

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Wine Talk: Natural History Revival
12 November 2021 12:56
Wine Talk: Natural History Revival

Georgian, natural and orange wines will be of interest to the curious.

[www.jpost.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Israeli winemakers see climate change affects their grapes
12 December 2021 13:57
Israeli winemakers see climate change affects their grapes

The cultivation of grapes involves a delicate dance between exposure to sun and to cold. Hotter summers and shorter winters present new challenges.

[www.israel21c.org]

John

Bordeaux wines have reduced their carbon footprint by 30 % in 12 years
20 December 2021 13:01
Bordeaux wines have reduced their carbon footprint by 30 % in 12 years

Bordeaux has not only reached its target, it has actually exceeded it. After aiming to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 20% between 2008 and 2020, the Bordeaux Wine Trade Council (CIVcool smiley has in fact achieved a 30% reduction in its carbon dioxide equivalent emissions in twelve years. Presented at its 12th environmental forum, on December 7 at the convention centre in Bordeaux, the third carbon assessment of the Bordeaux wine industry amounts to 587,000 tons of CO2 equivalent in 2020, according to consultancy Carbone 4, compared with 840,000 tons of CO2 equivalent in 2008 and 770,000 tons of CO2 equivalent in 2012.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Swiss Wine Is No Longer a Secret
20 December 2021 12:52
Swiss Wine Is No Longer a Secret

The Swiss are finally sharing their winemaking tradition with the world

[www.pix.wine]

John

TOP 100 WINES OF CHINA 2021
28 December 2021 13:35
TOP 100 WINES OF CHINA 2021

In a country where consumers have long craved imported wines and where the domestic winemaking industry is mostly known for bulk production, high-quality Chinese wines have been a well-kept secret. But there has lately been a sea change in China, with more winemakers unmooring themselves from the mass market that has defined them and committing themselves to delivering outstanding bottles, with some clearly on the road to greatness.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

Georgian wine industry seeks to reduce risk of Russian economic bullying
27 January 2022 18:29
Georgian wine industry seeks to reduce risk of Russian economic bullying

The government is offering aid to help producers find new markets.

[eurasianet.org]

John

With Millennia of History, Turkish Wine Continues to Evolve
22 February 2022 13:46
With Millennia of History, Turkish Wine Continues to Evolve

Turkey’s wine heritage dates back nearly 7,000 years, and its contemporary wine culture continues to evolve. While some of the world’s oldest known grape varieties in production are grown here, in recent years, low domestic consumption and a 2013 law prohibiting wine or spirits advertising and marketing led many Turkish wine producers to turn to the export market.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Exploring the World of Lebanese Wine—Beyond Chateau Musar
03 March 2022 13:59
Exploring the World of Lebanese Wine—Beyond Chateau Musar

New energy, a return to indigenous grape varieties, and experimental techniques make it high time to explore the full spectrum of Lebanon’s wines

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

‘We Are the Land, and the Land Is Us’: Indigenous Māori Winemakers are Guardians of New Zealand Terroir
03 March 2022 14:59
‘We Are the Land, and the Land Is Us’: Indigenous Māori Winemakers are Guardians of New Zealand Terroir

Māori people have lived in New Zealand—or Aotearoa, as it’s known in the te reo language—for nearly 1,000 years, long before the nation was colonized by the British in the early 19th century. The history of the Māori people’s relationship with their colonizers is one that echoes other nations around the globe: that of devastating disease, broken contracts, loss of land and systematic cultural oppression.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Jerusalem elite enjoyed wine with touches of vanilla in Kingdom of Judah
01 April 2022 17:23
Jerusalem elite enjoyed wine with touches of vanilla in Kingdom of Judah

Researchers were recently surprised to discover organic residues of the exotic, expensive (even until today) spice on wine jars unearthed during excavations in the City of David.

[www.jpost.com]

John

Croatian Wine Region: A Brief Recap of Dalmatia
08 April 2022 17:15
Croatian Wine Region: A Brief Recap of Dalmatia

5 March 2022 - With its diverse climate and terrains, winemakers produce over 45,000 tons of Croatian annually, alongside an astounding variety of award-winning wines. In line with the Dalmatian Wine Festival taking place this week in Split (April 8-9, 2022), here’s a refresher on Croatian wine and winemaking in this region.

[www.total-croatia-news.com]

John

Judah Kingdom’s Elite Consumed Wine Enriched with Vanilla, Archaeologists Say
13 May 2022 14:29
Judah Kingdom’s Elite Consumed Wine Enriched with Vanilla, Archaeologists Say

Archaeologists from Tel Aviv University, the University of Haifa, the Weizmann Institute of Science and the Israel Antiquities Authority have analyzed residues from ceramic storage jars unearthed in the Babylonian destruction layer (586 BCE) in Jerusalem, Israel. Five of the jars had rosette stamp impressions on their handles, indicating that their content was related to the Kingdom of Judah’s royal economy. The team’s results, published in the journal PLoS ONE, show that the jars were used for storing olive oil and wine flavored with vanilla.

[www.sci-news.com]

John

In the Negev, a new breed of vintners are making the desert bloom
26 May 2022 12:43
In the Negev, a new breed of vintners are making the desert bloom

With the arid terroir producing a wine that’s ‘fruity but not jammy,’ the vineyards of the Negev are banding together in hopes of being recognized as a formal appellation

[www.timesofisrael.com]

John

Georgian, Spanish researchers to study Georgian vine varieties in scientific collaboration
02 June 2022 17:41
Georgian, Spanish researchers to study Georgian vine varieties in scientific collaboration

Scientists of the Spanish National Research Council and their colleagues from the Georgian Scientific-Research Centre of Agriculture have launched a joint project to study Georgian vine varieties and combat plant diseases.

[agenda.ge]

John

Bernard Magrez wants to change your perception of Chinese wine with ‘Huangding’
16 August 2022 11:47
Bernard Magrez wants to change your perception of Chinese wine with ‘Huangding’

Bernard Magrez, the savvy wine entrepreneur who already has four classified Bordeaux estates under his name, has made his wine journey eastward to China and launched an ultra-premium Chinese wine range that is bent on “changing overseas wine consumers’ perception of Chinese wine”.

[vino-joy.com]

John

This is why wine was a warrior’s drink for most of history
02 November 2022 13:42
This is why wine was a warrior’s drink for most of history

For millennia warriors consumed alcohol in the form of wine, thus it became intertwined into military traditions. The exquisite taste, nutritional benefits, and, not least, psychoactive effects all contribute to our natural affinity for this drink. No other alcoholic beverage has had such a profound social influence. The wine trade allowed religious and philosophical thoughts to flow across Europe. From Noah and his grape vines through Jesus, probably the greatest winemaker of all time, wine is widely quoted in the Bible.

[www.wearethemighty.com]

John

Why you need to visit Tokaj: winelands, gastronomy and more
30 November 2022 18:24
Why you need to visit Tokaj: winelands, gastronomy and more

You’ve tasted the wine, now visit the region, says Linda Galloway after a visit to Tokaj, Hungary’s oldest wine region. There are miles of wine caves to explore, new state-of-the-art tasting rooms, historic estates plus a range of gastronomy and hospitality to indulge yourself in. Galloway points out some of the key wineries, plus gives a range of contacts for when you visit Tokaj.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Lebanese Wine: Renaissance Interruptus
12 December 2022 18:18
Lebanese Wine: Renaissance Interruptus

My most recent post covered the role of the Phoenicians in the spread of wine across the Mediterranean. As was the case for Iranian wine, production in the Levant contracted with the introduction of Islam to the region, with wine permitted only for use by Christians in the course of their religious pursuits.

[mowse.blogspot.com]

John

TOP 100 WINES OF CHINA 2022
14 January 2023 12:13
TOP 100 WINES OF CHINA 2022

After tasting more than 300 wines from China in 2022, we have no doubt about the country’s ability to deliver great wines. Fourteen of the wines we tasted received a rating of 95 points or above – twice the number as in 2021. These included a couple great, single-village bottles from Xiaoling Estate that couldn’t be included on our Top 100 list because of their limited production and availability – two factors we take into account when compiling these lists, along with price and overall value.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

Exclusive: Michael Karam’s 2023 Lebanon report
14 January 2023 12:19
Exclusive: Michael Karam’s 2023 Lebanon report

In a Harpers exclusive, Lebanese authority Michael Karam has released his 2023 Lebanon report, available to read for free on the Harpers website.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Ksara’s balance and consistency amidst Lebanon’s chaos
23 January 2023 12:39
Ksara’s balance and consistency amidst Lebanon’s chaos

Winemakers are used to dealing with major climate issues and, more recently, problems with supply chains. For Lebanese producers such as Chateau Ksara, life is a whole different ball game. Making wine in the Bekaa Valley, a stronghold of the pro-Iranian Hizbollah, coping with frequent power cuts from a bankrupt utility group and inflation that is tracking at 180% – it is a wonder that any are still in business. But the Lebanese people, like the wines of Chateau Ksara, have an agelessness and indestructibility about them as Justin Keay discovered when he met up with Ksara’s George Sara and Lebanese wine expert Michael Karam for a rare vertical tasting of Sara’s flagship Bordeaux blend Chateau and its 100% Cabernet Sauvignon.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen