Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Brettanomyces, Clean wine, Organic, bees, Bio, Natuurwijn, Terroir, alcoholvrijewijn, malolactic fermentation, yeast.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
For these barrels of wine, it’s “merroir” … not “terroir”
01 September 2021 17:30
For these barrels of wine, it’s “merroir” … not “terroir”

A winemaker in southwest France has invented and patented a new process that involves submerging wine barrels under water.

[www.marketplace.org]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
The increasing appeal of organic wine
03 September 2021 15:29
The increasing appeal of organic wine

September is organic wine month, a time to celebrate all the best things about organic wine. Earlier this year, National Liquor News did just that, with this feature on the organic wine sector.

[theshout.com.au]

John

Do yeast lees always stimulate wine malolactic fermentation?
21 September 2021 17:10
Do yeast lees always stimulate wine malolactic fermentation?

Sourced from: Balmaseda, A., Rozès, N., Bordons, A., Reguant, C. (2021). Simulated lees of different yeast species modify the performance of malolactic fermentation by Oenococcus oeni in wine-like medium. Food Microbiology 99, 103839. [doi.org]

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Biodynamic, Natural and Infused With Rose Petals?
05 January 2022 18:19
Biodynamic, Natural and Infused With Rose Petals?

A handful of natural winemakers is pushing the limits of co-fermentation, aromatizing their wines with everything from chestnut flowers to sumac berries and basil.

[punchdrink.com]

John

Wine Spectator Looks to the Future
20 January 2022 18:50
Wine Spectator Looks to the Future

Expanded duties for veteran editors and welcome to a new senior editor

[www.winespectator.com]

John

NATURAL WINE IS THE NEW NORMAL
31 January 2022 18:10
NATURAL WINE IS THE NEW NORMAL

It may not have been love at first sip, but it was a natural kind of progression: a look into natural wine and enotecas with great taste.

[italicsmag.com]

John

How Hard Is It To Make Biodynamic Wine? One Italian Winery Shows Us
08 February 2022 18:12
How Hard Is It To Make Biodynamic Wine? One Italian Winery Shows Us

Biodynamic vineyards in Montepulciano.

Romantic, sun-dappled notions of winemaking in Tuscany are just that, notions. The real truth is buried, along with the cow manure, in the soil and carried in the hard-working hands of the people who tend it. Consider Virginie Saverys, owner of Avignonesi winery in Montepulciano Italy. She willingly left the cozy confines of a successful career as director of a Belgian shipping firm to take on the demanding, stressful task of converting the highly-regarded Avignonesi winery into a fully certified organic, biodynamic and vegan operation. For both Saverys and her husband Max de Zarobe, taking over a winery was a massive leap—converting it to biodynamics was arguably an act of madness.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Japan brews ‘space sake’ from yeast sent into orbit
07 March 2022 18:18
Japan brews ‘space sake’ from yeast sent into orbit

A brewery in Japan’s eastern Fukushima prefecture has created an out-of-this-world sake using yeast that came from space. And all to help the region recover from a devastating earthquake.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Why Fruit Wines Are the Next Big Thing in Natural Winemaking
22 March 2022 18:11
Why Fruit Wines Are the Next Big Thing in Natural Winemaking

Apple and pear wines are providing possibilities in an industry grappling with climate change.

[www.thrillist.com]

John

We Need to Talk About Wine Faults
11 April 2022 17:35
We Need to Talk About Wine Faults

When is a wine fault really a fault? And are some faults worse than others?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Loire Valley Producers Respond To Consumer Demand For Organic Wine
15 April 2022 17:00
Loire Valley Producers Respond To Consumer Demand For Organic Wine

It is a late October morning in Vouvray. The blanket of fog from the Loire River is receding, revealing veiled sunlight. The air is crisp, the temperature brisk. A short jaunt up a steep and narrow incline, enough to get the heart pumping after a croissant and cappuccino, from the troglodyte cave cellars of Clos de Nouys, takes me to one of the oldest vineyards in the appellation, dating back to 1907, on an estate that traces its roots to the fifteenth century.

[www.forbes.com]

John

'Clean wine' is a manipulative term, and now the feds agree
15 April 2022 17:32
'Clean wine' is a manipulative term, and now the feds agree

This week marked a major victory for truth in wine advertising.

The days of bandying about "clean wine," a poorly defined term that has been widely exploited as of late, have come to an end. The federal government issued official guidance warning wine companies against using this term on their labels or in their ads because it constitutes a misleading health claim.

[www.sfchronicle.com]

John

Elephants in the Natural Wine Room
20 April 2022 17:09
Elephants in the Natural Wine Room

Let’s face it: Natural Wine is having a moment. Everyone in the wine world is talking about it in some way or form.

Before going any further, let’s get on the table: what is natural wine anyway? In summary, our take on natural wine coincides with this New York Times article: “Natural wines are free of additives and add minimal sulfites, and they’re usually made with organic grapes.”

[www.verovinogusto.com]

John

Cold plasma at atmospheric pressure for eliminating Brettanomyces from oak wood
01 June 2022 17:37
Cold plasma at atmospheric pressure for eliminating Brettanomyces from oak wood

ABSTRACT
In the oenological industry, the maintenance and sanitation of oak barrels has become a fundamental task. Wood has a porous structure that facilitates the penetration not only of the wine, but of the microorganisms it contains, such as the alterative yeast Brettanomyces bruxellensis. Although the most widely used method of sanitising barrels is the burning of sulphur tablets, there is a European directive that will limit this practice, even when an effective alternative has not yet been found. This research is part of a project that studies the application of cold plasma at atmospheric pressure (APCP) to sanitise oak wood staves. This alternative technology to sulphur is respectful of the environment. In this study, various fragments of staves artificially contaminated with Brettanomyces bruxellensis were exposed to the APCP device with different plasma gas and distinct plasma strengths. The results showed inactivations of 2.89 logarithmic units (of colony-forming units per millilitre) using argon for plasma generation. Absolute inactivations (5.46 log units) were reached when air or nitrogen was used for plasma generation. Nor any morphological modifications were seen on the surface of the wood after the APCP treatments. Despite the promise of these results, this line of research should be continued to solve the difficulties that may arise when treating naturally contaminated wood fragments in the wineries, as well as when facing their industrial scale.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Relevance of the polyphenolic profile during oxidative aging in the accumulation and disappearance of oxidative and varietal aromas

The main objective of this work is to study and model the impact of the polyphenolic profile on the stability and quality of wine aroma during oxidative aging. Aromas considered in the study are grape-derived varietal aromas, such as linalool, geraniol and 1,1,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene (TDN), yeast-released varietal mercaptans, such as 4-mercapto-4-methyl-2-pentanone (4MMP), 3-mercaptohexyl acetate (MHA) and 3-mercaptohexan-1-ol (3MH)) and also oxidation-related aroma compounds, such as acetaldehyde and Strecker aldehydes: isobutyraldehyde, 2-methylbutyraldehyde, isovaleraldehyde, methional and phenylacetaldehyde.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Non-invasive quantification of phenolic content during red wine fermentations

Abstract

Phenolic compounds are responsible for the most important red wine quality attributes. Anthocyanins and tannins play crucial roles in color and mouthfeel properties of red wines. Phenolic analysis in the winery is hindered by analytical constrains. The possibility to quantify phenolic content non-invasively from a fermenting tank will provide phenolic data in real time and with absence of sampling. This could be achieved by making use of the fluorescence properties of phenolic compounds. Front-face fluorescence was in this case used to obtain fluorescence spectral properties of wines directly during the fermentation tank. Adapting the sample geometry, direct measurement from a fermenting tank through a crystal window can be obtained. Moreover, the fluorescence spectral properties were correlated with phenolic levels using machine learning techniques and accurate spectral calibrations were obtained for total phenol content, anthocyanins (mg/L) and tannins (mg/L). A prototype device for the measurement of fluorescence spectral properties was developed. The fluorescence spectrometer showed the ability to quantify phenolic content during red wine fermentations with the absence of sampling and in a non-invasive manner.

[www.infowine.com]

John

The Art of malolactic fermentation: considerations for a successful MLF
14 July 2022 17:22
The Art of malolactic fermentation: considerations for a successful MLF

Which type of lactic acid bacteria to use, Oenococcus oeni or Lactobacillus plantarum, is not important as both convert malic acid to lactic acid. The key point is that they both add value by contributing to the aroma and flavour of the wine. These interesting contributions are achieved thanks to the different inoculation times, the use of a certain type of bacteria, and the different vessels used. Another important effect is the ability of bacteria to protect the wine (microbiological and protein stabilisation). In other words, bacteria offer different tools, the important thing is to know which ones to use depending on the objective: speed, stability, aromatic diversity.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Inhibitory effect of sulfur dioxide, ascorbic acid and glutathione on browning caused by laccase activity
15 September 2022 08:36
Inhibitory effect of sulfur dioxide, ascorbic acid and glutathione on browning caused by laccase activity

The aim of this work was to study the inhibitory effect of the three most frequently used wine antioxidants – sulfur dioxide, ascorbic acid and glutathione – on the kinetics of browning caused by Botrytis cinerea laccase using a grape juice synthetic model in which (-)-epicatechin was the substrate.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Innovative and sustainable oenological solutions to raise acidity and control microbial threats while maintaining sensory characteristics and color

The key role of Nitrogen in the aromatic expression of wines

Video extract
In this video, together with Marco Li Calzi (consultant oenologist), we analyse the impact that Readily Assimilable Nitrogen has on wine aromas.

This video was taken from the webinar "The key role of Nitrogen in the aromatic expression of wines", you can find the full webinar at this link

[www.infowine.com]

John

Innovative methods of extracting mannoproteins from lees and accelerating autolysis
19 September 2022 13:11
Innovative methods of extracting mannoproteins from lees and accelerating autolysis

Optimize pesticides treatments in the vineyard

Digital technologies in grape production - Digiwine Innovation Hub

How many pesticides shall I give to my vineyard ? What is the dose and the correct water application volume rate ?

[www.infowine.com]

John

Considerations for a successful malolactic fermentation
18 October 2022 13:23
Considerations for a successful malolactic fermentation

Video Extract from "The Art of malolactic fermentation"

[www.infowine.com]

John

Is It Wine or Cider? Why Co-Fermentation Is Heating Up
25 October 2022 10:31
Is It Wine or Cider? Why Co-Fermentation Is Heating Up

In Northern California, A Growing Community of Co-mingled Cofermenters Is Putting the Land First.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Back Forty: A forgotten wine grape
25 October 2022 10:34
Back Forty: A forgotten wine grape

For more than two decades, Alice Feiring has been a fierce champion of natural wines — the type of wines made primarily by small producers who seek to express the place where the grapes were grown. They avoid the 70-plus industrial additives currently allowed in wine and the technical manipulations that abound. Although natural wine began as a reaction against the direction of the modern wine industry, it has since grown, attracting a new generation. Feiring, in her books and newsletter, The Feiring Line, writes about these vintners not only in winemaking centers in Europe and the United States, but also in countries like Georgia — an ancient center of winemaking — and Chile. (She will be talking at a FERN event in Brooklyn, New York, on Oct. 24).

[thefern.org]

John

Malolactic fermentation in wine production
02 November 2022 13:20
Malolactic fermentation in wine production

What influence do these bacteria have on wines? What new bacteria are being studied to carry out this fermentation? Find below articles about malolactic fermentation published in our 3 media (OENO One, IVES Technical Reviews and IVES Conference Series).

[ives-openscience.eu]

John

A practical definition of terroir
09 November 2022 13:32
A practical definition of terroir

It's hard to believe that as self-evident it may seem to many wine lovers, there are actually many professionals in the wine industry, and even educational institutions, who do not believe terroir exists, or that it is important in the business of wine production or wine appreciation as it exists today.

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

Ultrasonic preliminary measurements of oenological malolactic fermentation parameters in red wine
22 November 2022 18:16
Ultrasonic preliminary measurements of oenological malolactic fermentation parameters in red wine

Abstract. In the winemaking process, the malolactic fermentation is an essential process in the production of high quality red wines which concerns the conversion of malate into lactate. In this work, the ultrasonic velocity through wine samples with different concentrations of malate
and lactate was measured using the pulse echo technique with 1 MHz tone burst signals. The evolution of these concentrations during malolactic fermentation was taken into account in order to determine the ratio between concentrations of malate and lactate of the different samples. These preliminary results have revealed that the ultrasonic velocity increases during the conversion of malate to lactate. In addition, measurements have been conducted to quantify the influence of variations in turbidity and temperature on test samples. Therefore, these results show the possibility of using ultrasonic velocity measurements for on-line monitoring the malolactic fermentation of red wine and may help to improve and contribute to the development of the winemaking process.

[iopscience.iop.org]

John

L'outil Cartobio vous dit quelles parcelles sont bio
26 November 2022 11:20
L'outil Cartobio vous dit quelles parcelles sont bio

Depuis le 17 novembre 2022, l’Agence Bio propose au grand public et aux professionnels, Cartobio, un outil cartographique pour localiser les parcelles conduites en agriculture biologique et en conversion au sein des parcelles agricoles françaises (chiffres 2021, mais aussi de 2020 et 2019).Il s’appuie sur les registres parcellaires graphiques annuels publiés par l’IGN et l’Agence Bio.

[www.mon-viti.com]

John

Re: L'outil Cartobio vous dit quelles parcelles sont bio
26 November 2022 21:14
Test John,
alles wel? confused smiley
Re: L'outil Cartobio vous dit quelles parcelles sont bio
28 November 2022 13:14
Ik heb betere jaren gekend. Er gaan veel vrienden, kennissen en familie op hemelvaart.

John

Is Zero-Alcohol Wine, 'Wine'? And Why Does it Matter?
28 November 2022 18:05
Is Zero-Alcohol Wine, 'Wine'? And Why Does it Matter?

There are moves to bring dealcoholised wine into the same legislation as conventional wine, and big brand owners are introducing zero-alc versions of their existing ones. Robert Joseph wonders if this is wise for the wine sector in general.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen