Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Climate Change

Gepost door JohnCopier 
A Winemaker’s 50-Year Bet on Surviving Climate Change
21 January 2020 18:18
A Winemaker’s 50-Year Bet on Surviving Climate Change

It starts right now, with sheep in Patagonia.

Lezen en tot je nemen!!!

[www.bloomberg.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Take An In Depth Look At The Impact Of Climate Change On Cognac Production
23 January 2020 18:22
Take An In Depth Look At The Impact Of Climate Change On Cognac Production

Exclusively from the Cognac region in France, four producers are responsible for about 90 percent of the liquor as we know it today though nearly 200 exist. The high quality variety of brandy has always been held to specific standards. Tasked with upholding the quality of Cognac since it was founded in 1946, The Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac’s “primary mission is to safeguard the Cognac Geographical Indication, foster the economic development of the industry, and represent the general interest of 4,280 winegrowers, 117 professional distillers, and 271 merchants operating within the geographical indication.”

[www.forbes.com]

John

Tiny Footprints: How wine and beer bottles are going green
27 January 2020 17:52
Tiny Footprints: How wine and beer bottles are going green

Melting glaciers, wildfires, droughts, floods: Everywhere consumers look, they see climate change. As a result of dire environmental warnings, people are increasingly eager to make eco-conscious purchasing decisions. Increasingly, that’s translated to seeking out responsibly made goods.

[www.spiritedbiz.com]

John

English Sparkling Wines Challenge the Supremacy of Champagne, France—Thanks to Climate Change
28 January 2020 18:20
English Sparkling Wines Challenge the Supremacy of Champagne, France—Thanks to Climate Change

As average temperatures rise and extreme weather events become more common, vintners are forced to adapt year to year

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

John

The ‘solidarity’ efforts to rebuild the Rendéu Masdéu cellar in Conca de Barberà
29 January 2020 18:18
The ‘solidarity’ efforts to rebuild the Rendéu Masdéu cellar in Conca de Barberà

These have not been the finest of months for wineries when it comes to Mother Nature… and sadly, probably won’t be the last that we’ve seen. Fires have ravaged Southeastern Australia destroying cellars, homes, vineyards, animals, and lives. Northern California saw fires that destroyed wineries again this year. Then of course there was Lismore in South Africa which, while apparently an act of arson that took advantage of a dry time of the year, has still left Sam O’Keefe with a very rough road ahead despite all the support from wineries.

[www.hudin.com]

John

Wine is under threat from climate change, so change to hardier grapes, experts warn
28 January 2020 18:12
Wine is under threat from climate change, so change to hardier grapes, experts warn

Global warming threatens up to 85 per cent of the world's wine-growing regions, a study has shown.

[www.sciencefocus.com]

John

Re: Wine is under threat from climate change, so change to hardier grapes, experts warn
29 January 2020 12:21
Wijngebieden moeten snel schakelen om te overleven

Als de wereldwijde temperatuur stijgt met 2 graden Celsius, kan de wereldwijde oppervlakte die geschikt is voor wijnbouw met de helft dalen, blijkt uit onderzoek door de Universiteit van Columbia. Bij een stijging met 4 graden zelfs met 85 procent, tenzij wijnbouwers zich drastisch aanpassen.

[weekend.knack.be]

John

Re: Wine is under threat from climate change, so change to hardier grapes, experts warn
29 January 2020 18:27
'Wine is like the canary in the coal mine' for climate change

Washington: Many of the world's prime wine-growing regions could shrink dramatically due to climate change, a new study suggests.

[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

John

31 January 2020 18:18
Goodbye cabernet sauvignon. How climate change will end wine as we know it.

The prospect of hotter summers, warmer winters, drought and violent weather events have caused experts to warn of coming wine shortages and price increases, changing varietal character and, in some dire predictions, the extinction of some wines altogether.

[www.sfgate.com]

John

Furmint February puts climate change in the crosshairs as only three out of ten vintages are good enough for Aszú
31 January 2020 18:24
Furmint February puts climate change in the crosshairs as only three out of ten vintages are good enough for Aszú

The extent to which climate change is impacting the production of styles of Furmint was highlighted at recent Wine of Hungary masterclass, where participants were told that making sweet wines will be the “challenge” for Tokaj over the next decade or even century.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Surviving Climate Change: Replanting Wine Regions to Different Varieties May Be Key, Study Finds
04 February 2020 15:28
Surviving Climate Change: Replanting Wine Regions to Different Varieties May Be Key, Study Finds

Portuguese grapes in Bordeaux? Mourvèdre in Mendocino? Diversifying vineyards around the world may dramatically stem losses, analysis shows

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Australian winemakers testing new grapes to deal with global warming
06 February 2020 18:18
Australian winemakers testing new grapes to deal with global warming

Australian winemakers are beginning to test southern European grape varieties that are better adapted to hotter temperatures and less reliable rainfall as they grapple with the physical impacts of a warming planet.

[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

John

Wine Trends that Matter - Climate Change
08 February 2020 08:29
Wine Trends that Matter - Climate Change

In a new series of articles, I’ll be highlighting several important, ongoing trends related to wine. I’ll tell you how each affects avid wine consumers personally. Today’s article addresses climate change.

[www.jjbuckley.com]

John

"Taking collective action to decarbonize the global wine industry"
08 February 2020 13:40
"Taking collective action to decarbonize the global wine industry"

What is IWCA

The wine industry is one of the agricultural activities most affected by global climate change. Grapevines are extremely sensitive to subtle changes in weather, making grapes particularly vulnerable to heat and drought, and this could ultimately put the quality of our wines at risk.

[www.iwcawine.org]

John

« Climate change », l’état d’urgence !
08 February 2020 13:47
« Climate change », l’état d’urgence !

L’Australie est en flamme … la conférence des Nations unies sur le climat (COP25) a fermé ses portes à Madrid alors que s’éloigne l’objectif de contenir le réchauffement à un niveau soutenable. « Des transformations sociétales et économiques majeures doivent avoir lieu au cours de la prochaine décennie pour compenser l’inaction du passé », préviennent les experts du Programme des Nations unies pour l’environnement (PNUE), dans un rapport sur les trajectoires des émissions de gaz à effet de serre, rendu public mardi 26 novembre. Ce quasi-ultimatum s’ajoute aux observations, répétées depuis plusieurs années par les scientifiques du Groupe d’experts intergouvernemental sur l’évolution du climat (GIEC), et aux slogans scandés par les marcheurs pour le climat, qui se sont mobilisés une nouvelle fois à l’occasion de la 25e conférence des Nations unies sur le climat (COP25) réunie, du 2 au 13 décembre, à Madrid.

[larvi.com]

John

Climate change and the most northerly vineyards in Europe
17 February 2020 18:29
Climate change and the most northerly vineyards in Europe

As I sit here in my workroom writing this, it would normally be the depths of winter outside; instead, the hazel is now flowering.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

How climate change, drought, bushfires and floods are affecting Australia’s wineries
21 February 2020 17:48
How climate change, drought, bushfires and floods are affecting Australia’s wineries

Many wineries in Australia are quietly suffering amidst the freak weather patterns occurring across the country.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Hot cows, less delicious wine: The problems food growers face with climate change
27 February 2020 18:00
Hot cows, less delicious wine: The problems food growers face with climate change

Twenty years ago, George Moss didn't often worry about planting trees to shade his cows. Cows in chilly Tokoroa didn't experience searing heat.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

John

Climate change: Warm winter ruins German ice wine harvest
02 March 2020 13:48
Climate change: Warm winter ruins German ice wine harvest

Germany's harvest of ice wine - a dessert wine produced from grapes that have frozen while still on the vine - has failed for the first time because the winter has been too warm.

[www.bbc.com]

John

Re: Climate change: Warm winter ruins German ice wine harvest
05 March 2020 18:05
Ice wine on slippery slope?

BC produces second lowest amount since 2000; Germany shut out

[www.castanet.net]

John

Special Space Experiment Tackles Saving Wine From Climate Change
10 March 2020 18:05
Special Space Experiment Tackles Saving Wine From Climate Change

Wine supplies could be at risk due to global warming, since grapes are vulnerable to changes in temperatures and the seasons. A recent New York Times article suggested that winemakers are spreading to colder regions and higher altitudes to avoid roasting grapes in the traditional vineyards

[www.forbes.com]

John

In the Era of Climate Change, is Old and New World Wine Obsolete?
12 March 2020 18:07
In the Era of Climate Change, is Old and New World Wine Obsolete?

As climate change ravages ecosystems and upends viticulture, a curious narrative has emerged in select corners of the wine world. Some say that traditional distinctions between Old World and New World wines will soon be obsolete.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Frozen harvest: German ice wine maker defies climate change
13 March 2020 18:05
Frozen harvest: German ice wine maker defies climate change

KORB, Germany (Reuters) - One winemaker in southern Germany has succeeded in producing a small, but precious, quantity of ice wine after an unseasonably mild winter ruined the rest of the country’s harvest.

[www.reuters.com]

John

Climate change in Rheingau
25 March 2020 18:32
Climate change in Rheingau

More than two tonnes of topsoil were lost during a heavy rain event at Kloster Eberbach vineyards last year.
One of Germany’s renowned wine regions is under threat because of climate change.

[www.ruralnewsgroup.co.nz]

John

Climate change in the DOCa Rioja: How can the vineyard and the grape of Rioja be affected in the years 2050 and 2070
06 April 2020 17:06
Climate change in the DOCa Rioja: How can the vineyard and the grape of Rioja be affected in the years 2050 and 2070

The objective of this research was to analyze the potential effect of climate change on phenology and berry composition of the variety Tempranillo cultivated in areas of the Rioja DOCa (Spain) with different climatic characteristics. Three zones were selected within the DOCa, which were located at elevations between 325 and 650 m a.s.l.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Tuscan winery experiments with Georgian grapes to fight climate change
14 April 2020 17:08
Tuscan winery experiments with Georgian grapes to fight climate change

Italian wine estate Castello Banfi is planting unusual grape varieties in Tuscany to see what could thrive as climate change brings intense heat and higher rainfall to the region.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Grape harvest dates and year-to-year climate variability (global climate change)
20 April 2020 17:19
Grape harvest dates and year-to-year climate variability (global climate change)

What we now call “climate change” used to be called “global warming”. The experts introduced the change in name in order to emphasize that there are actually two things that we need to be aware of:
1. the atmospheric temperature is increasing at an unprecedented rate
2. the weather is getting increasingly variable from year to year.

Both of these things are happening simultaneously.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Why the Wines of the Future Will Be Made From Hybrid Grapes
28 April 2020 17:05
Why the Wines of the Future Will Be Made From Hybrid Grapes

Most of the wines drunk today are made from a single species of grape vine, Vitis vinifera. Through time, various crossings — both accidental and deliberate — have given rise to thousands of different varieties from this species, each with its own unique flavor signatures and preferred habitats. So we have the likes of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Merlot, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Sauvignon Blanc — all from vinifera, but all distinctly different. It’s estimated that around 98 percent of all wine consumed today is made from vinifera vines. So what of the 2 percent that doesn’t come from this species? It turns out that there’s an interesting story here: We may be about to see the rise of the hybrids.

[vinepair.com]

John

Friday Read: Climate change creeps up in Burgundy
01 May 2020 17:13
Friday Read: Climate change creeps up in Burgundy

Rising temperatures coupled with sensitive Pinot Noir spell change for the Burgundian hierarchy, as James Lawrence reports.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Viticulture in Piedmont: optimism and adaptation in the face of a changing climate
07 May 2020 17:29
Viticulture in Piedmont: optimism and adaptation in the face of a changing climate

In years gone by Piedmontese farmers could expect at best, two great vintages in a decade. The years spanning 1940 to late 1970 were challenging. But the climate is changing, Silvia Altare tells me the region faces more sudden, dramatic weather and a general shift toward less and less normality.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen