Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Climate Change

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Europe's vineyards move further north
18 May 2020 17:10
Europe's vineyards move further north

So, what do you know, I am getting a local vineyard, here in Uppsala, Sweden. Well, actually, it is 13 km (8 miles) away in a straight line, but that is a lot closer than Blaxsta Gård vineyard, which is 110 km (70 miles) south of me.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Better wines among the pines: Agroforestry can climate-proof grapes, French researchers show
05 June 2020 11:43
Better wines among the pines: Agroforestry can climate-proof grapes, French researchers show

Climate change is affecting the growth of grapes used in winemaking worldwide, causing them to ripen too soon which changes the quality and character of the product; but new research in the global home of wine suggests that trees can help growers adapt.

In southern France, long trellises of wine grapes are being grown among rows of trees that provide shading and other microclimate benefits that cause the grapes to ripen weeks later than in surrounding areas, leading to higher-quality wine.

This agroforestry system, where crops are grown among woody perennials like trees, appears to have additional benefits in vineyards including increased tolerance of vines to heat and frost, and harboring populations of beneficial insects.

Agroforestry also sequesters large amounts of carbon from the atmosphere and is therefore recognized as a top solution to countering the effects of climate change.

[news.mongabay.com]

John

Biodymamics key to climate change mitigation says Barolo producer
05 June 2020 16:57
Biodymamics key to climate change mitigation says Barolo producer

In a webinar last week for the launch of Ceretto’s 2016 expressions of Barolo and Barbaresco, the producer’s Gianluca Pica said that biodymamic vineyard practices were proving key to mitigating the impact of climate change in the Piedmont.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

The Climate Phenomenon that Produces Wines with ‘Electric Acidity’
05 June 2020 17:11
The Climate Phenomenon that Produces Wines with ‘Electric Acidity’

A winemaker is tied to their ability to predict and understand obscure climatic tics. The analysis of weird winds, funky fogs and other esoteric ephemera generally remain confined to the fringes of the wine world, but some terms manage to enter the lexicon of normal wine-loving humans.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 17:04
Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions

Australian grape-growers and winemakers will soon have a tool to map changes in climate until the end of the century.

[www.abc.net.au]

John

Re: Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 17:06
New Climate Atlas report shows how climate change will affect Australian wine regions

A world-first research document about to be released has detailed how Australia's famous winegrowing regions will be forced to adapt due to climate change.

[www.abc.net.au]

John

Re: Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 17:09
May 2020: Earth’s Warmest May on Record

May 2020 was the planet's warmest May since record keeping began in 1880, said NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and NASA on Friday, June 12. NOAA rated May as tied with 2016 for warmest May on record, while NASA put May 2020 ahead of May 2016 by 0.06°C. Minor differences in rankings often occur between NOAA and NASA, due to the different techniques they use to handle data-sparse regions such as the Arctic.

[www.wunderground.com]

John

Climate the Latest Challenge for Burgundy
18 June 2020 17:05
Climate the Latest Challenge for Burgundy

The changing climate will see changes to many traditional wine regions – and grand cru sites won't escape.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Paper wine bottle launched with 84% lower carbon footprint
01 July 2020 12:38
Paper wine bottle launched with 84% lower carbon footprint

British sustainable packaging company Frugalpac has launched a wine bottle made from 94% recycled paperboard, which it said has a carbon footprint 84% less than that of glass.

John

Measuring Wine Tourism’s Carbon Footprint
20 July 2020 17:09
Measuring Wine Tourism’s Carbon Footprint

With millions of tourists visiting wineries each year, cellar door operations contribute to the economic health of wine regions around the world. They are also crucial for the financial sustainability of many wine producers. But, so far, little attention has been paid to their role in environmental sustainability. To address this issue, we have created a method for measuring wine tourism’s carbon footprint. We applied it to Australia and learned that cellar door sales may be the most carbon intensive component of all stages of wine production and consumption by a very large margin.

This method can now be applied to other wine regions to determine how much of a carbon footprint is left behind by their wine tourists, and we encourage wine researchers to do so.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

FRENCH WINERIES TO RECEIVE €250 MILLION TO WEATHER LOCKDOWN AND US TARIFFS
06 August 2020 12:24
FRENCH WINERIES TO RECEIVE €250 MILLION TO WEATHER LOCKDOWN AND US TARIFFS

The French government has announced it will spend an additional €80 million to support the nation’s wine industry after global lockdowns tore into sales.

John

Re: FRENCH WINERIES TO RECEIVE €250 MILLION TO WEATHER LOCKDOWN AND US TARIFFS
11 August 2020 17:33
France Will Spend Nearly $300 Million to Save Its Wine Industry

The French government just announced another $95 million to help beleaguered winegrowers.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

Chablis' Tale of Tariffs and Climate Change
02 September 2020 17:15
Chablis' Tale of Tariffs and Climate Change

With the famous region facing multiple challenges, our US editor gets to the point with Chablis' Louis Moreau.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Horticulture researchers find ways to combat climate change in vineyards
16 September 2020 17:03
Horticulture researchers find ways to combat climate change in vineyards

Research will show how to maintain grape quality by preventing overheating

[dailyevergreen.com]

John

No wine left behind: How Germany wants to adapt to climate change
29 October 2020 17:52
No wine left behind: How Germany wants to adapt to climate change

Winegrowers are facing unprecedented challenges from climate change, like hot summers or water shortages, but the warmer climate also favours certain types of cultivation. The German government’s adaptation strategy is designed to help the winegrowing sector, but to what extent does it help them in practice? EURACTIV Germany reports.

[www.euractiv.com]

John

EU honey harvests feel the sting of climate change with record losses
10 November 2020 18:07
EU honey harvests feel the sting of climate change with record losses

Honey harvests dropped by 40% this year, on the back of extreme weather conditions, according to EU farmers association COPA-COGECA, who sounded the alarm and warned that the sector urgently needs help from the European Commission.

[www.euractiv.com]

John

Europe’s largest wine estate offers a shining example of resilience to climate change
14 December 2020 13:44
Europe’s largest wine estate offers a shining example of resilience to climate change

Can 429 hectares of vineyards at Europe’s largest wine estate, Domaine Royal de Jarras in Aigues-Mortes, in the Camargue, be converted to organic? If you listen to Laetitia Carbonell, head viticulturist at the 2,000-hectare Grands Domaines du Littoral, the switch-over is more a formality than a challenge.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Sebastian Thomas on climate change in Burgundy
18 January 2021 18:08
Sebastian Thomas on climate change in Burgundy

Villages like Saint-Romain and Saint-Aubin, Maranges and Marsannay were never that high up on the ‘must-have’ list of most self-respecting Burgundy buyers in the past, but how times are changing, argues Sebastian Thomas, director and buyer of Howard Ripley. These wines from more humble locations, and those from the Hautes-Côtes, can be quite brilliant and as generous and balanced as Premier Cru wines were 30 years ago. There are even signs that the hierarchy of classification is threatened, he says.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Finding fiano: the new buzz grape variety that’s delivering for a changing climate
25 January 2021 18:31
Finding fiano: the new buzz grape variety that’s delivering for a changing climate

The glasses were clinking in the Whisky Lounge at Jugiong’s Sir George Hotel but they were not malt-filled tumblers. Instead, this atmospheric setting was the venue for a recent wine industry seminar focused on the latest buzz alternative white grape variety – fiano (pronounced fee-ah-noh).

[the-riotact.com]

John

'Flash droughts' new climate change effect
29 January 2021 18:15
'Flash droughts' new climate change effect

REGIONAL Australia is already feeling the devastating impacts of climate change, including the new phenomenon of "flash droughts", a new report reveals.

[www.farmonline.com.au]

John

Space Cargo Unlimited looks to space to make wine grape vines more resistant to climate change
05 February 2021 18:08
Space Cargo Unlimited looks to space to make wine grape vines more resistant to climate change

The commercialization of space isn’t just about what new sensors we can put into orbit on cheaper and smaller satellites — it’s also about studying and leveraging the advantages of a microgravity environment on manufacturing and production. European startup Space Cargo Unlimited is focused on turning microgravity benefits into viable commercial ventures on Earth, and it just announced it will be working with global vine nursery company Mercier on applying the benefits of space to create more-hardy wine grape vines.

[techcrunch.com]

John

Dan Berger On Wine: The benefits of climate change
05 February 2021 18:12
Dan Berger On Wine: The benefits of climate change

You won’t find many grape growers who’ll say that climate change is a hoax: the evidence is pretty strong that it’s real and a serious challenge for people trying to make fine wine.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

Vitis vinifera L. fruit diversity to select or breed varieties anticipating climate changes
09 February 2021 19:04
Vitis vinifera L. fruit diversity to select or breed varieties anticipating climate changes

The wine industry is facing critical issues due to climate changes since production is established on very tight Genotype X Environment interaction bases. While, some cultivation practices can mitigate some adverse effects of abiotic stresses on the vines, e.g. the use of irrigation to mitigate drought, the deleterious impacts of warming on fruit development are difficult to manage .

John

Viognier and Grenache blanc: a decisive harvest date
11 February 2021 18:21

Impacts of ripeness

As part of their studies on global warming, in 2019 the Technical Department of Inter Rhone studied the impact of the harvest date on the sensory profile of Viognier and Grenache blanc. Differing levels of maturity among these varietals were studied, in order to determine the impact of ripeness on the final sensory profiles of the resulting wines. Setting the optimal harvest date is crucial for the future quality of the wines, taking into account technological maturity (balance acids and sugars), phenolic maturity (anthocyanin and tannin quality), and aromatic maturity (revelation of varietal aromas). One plot of Viognier and one plot of Grenache were used to form the basis of the study, with winemaking taking place in the experimental cellar of Inter Rhone.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Cross-border cooperation on growing wine grapes resistant to climate change
22 February 2021 17:55
Cross-border cooperation on growing wine grapes resistant to climate change

This is the aim of a new Interreg project in France and Spain

Today, 22 February, the official government website of the Basque Region in Spain informed the public about the launch of a new Interreg project that will adapt wine growing to the new climatic conditions. The initiative, called VITISAD, will see agricultural research institutions from France and Spain (apart from the Basque Country, there is also La Rioja, Navarre and Pyrénées-Atlantiques) collaborate for 32 months on novel techniques and methods to making the vine plants more resistant to the effects of extreme weather while preserving the traditional quality of the wines produced.

[www.themayor.eu]

John

Mediterranean wineries are in a climate hotspot. Climatologists are helping them adapt
25 February 2021 18:26
Mediterranean wineries are in a climate hotspot. Climatologists are helping them adapt

From the possible demise of Merlot grapes in Bordeaux to loss of olive trees in north Africa, the impacts of climate change will be felt by farmers across the Mediterranean region, say climatologists.

[horizon-magazine.eu]

John

Burgundy grape varieties put to the climate change test
03 March 2021 18:17
Burgundy grape varieties put to the climate change test

Should Burgundy change grape varieties to survive climate change? This challenging question was raised during the Vinosphere event hosted online by the BIVB on 25 February. “The first question we can ask ourselves is how to preserve Chardonnay and Pinot noir as long as possible”, said Laurent Audeguin, head of plant material at the French Vine & Wine Institute, by way of an introduction.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Rainfall goes to waste as Australia lets drier climate costs rise
23 March 2021 18:00
Rainfall goes to waste as Australia lets drier climate costs rise

One of the nation's leading agricultural academics says drenching rainfall along Australia's eastern coastal fringe will be shamefully wasted as water policy paralysis widely ignores our increasingly drought-risky future.

[www.northerndailyleader.com.au]

John

Photosynthetic acclimation to high temperature in Syrah and Grenache
29 March 2021 17:16
Photosynthetic acclimation to high temperature in Syrah and Grenache

Climate change is challenging many cultivated regions and natural ecosystems, as well as viticulture production worldwide (Flexas et al. 2010). Many viticultural areas are facing water scarcity, warming and heat waves, including the main grape-growing regions in Argentina (Cabré et al. 2016).

John

2045, the new deadline for new vineyard planting permits
29 March 2021 17:18
2045, the new deadline for new vineyard planting permits

At its meeting on 22 and 23 March, the Council of EU Agriculture Ministers added discussions on the Common Market Organisation for Wine (CMO wine) to an agenda featuring the future Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), with a particular focus on the extension of authorisations for planting new vines after 2030.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen