Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Climate Change

Gepost door JohnCopier 
MONTROSE UNDERTAKING ‘FIRST OF ITS KIND’ CLIMATE STUDY
30 March 2021 17:00
MONTROSE UNDERTAKING ‘FIRST OF ITS KIND’ CLIMATE STUDY

Saint-Estephe second growth Château Montrose is undertaking a “first of its kind” agro-pedological and climatic study in association with climatologist Benjamin Bois and geologist Pierre Becheler.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Burgundy Embraces New Varieties to Combat Climate Change
15 April 2021 17:03
Burgundy Embraces New Varieties to Combat Climate Change

Burgundy’s 2020 harvest was one of the earliest on record. Higher-than-average temperatures throughout the growing season meant that farmers began picking on August 12. It was the continuation of a trend that has seen hot temperatures and dry weather become the norm in this otherwise mostly temperate region.

[www.winemag.com]

John

First Heat, Then Frost: 2021 Chablis and Rhone Wines Off the Menu? Climate Scientists Say Climate Change Increased Chance of France's Worst Wine Frost 60%, Losses Estimated at $4.85 Billion

Chablis from the 2021 vintage may no longer be available on the menu. Nor Rhones. Nor Champagne. Or at least it will cost more - possibly a lot more.

[winecountrygeographic.blogspot.com]

John

Climate change likely contributed to 'catastrophic' French frost: scientists

In April a rare late frost descended on some of France's best-known and most prestigious wine-producing regions, decimating a third of French wine production worth around two billion euros in the space of a few nights.

[www.france24.com]

John

Climate Change Is Coming for Your Wine, Study Says
23 June 2021 17:24
Climate Change Is Coming for Your Wine, Study Says

French winemakers were devastated by a spring frost. A new study blames human-induced climate change.

[www.treehugger.com]

John

Frost damage in vineyards linked to climate change – study
01 July 2021 16:56
Frost damage in vineyards linked to climate change – study

Weather patterns linked to climate change have made severe frost damage in French vineyards more likely, suggests new research by a group of leading scientists.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Global Warming Is Increasing the Likelihood of Frost Damage in Vineyards
06 July 2021 16:58
Global Warming Is Increasing the Likelihood of Frost Damage in Vineyards

Late frosts are becoming less likely, but early growing seasons are leaving vines even more vulnerable.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

Champagne With No Bubbles? Thank Climate Change
28 July 2021 17:36
Champagne With No Bubbles? Thank Climate Change

Still wines from the legendary home of sparklers are becoming more commonplace, and rising temperatures are part of the math that makes them possible.

[www.bloomberg.com]

John

Smart grape: AI project to determine grape quality and ripeness could help in climate change battle
10 August 2021 17:02
Smart grape: AI project to determine grape quality and ripeness could help in climate change battle

A German research institute has launched a project using artificial intelligence (AI) to determine grape quality and ripeness that it says could also eventually be used in the battle against climate change.

John

The Greening Of Bordeaux: The Two-Pronged Approach Wineries Are Taking To Address Climate Change
11 August 2021 17:04
The Greening Of Bordeaux: The Two-Pronged Approach Wineries Are Taking To Address Climate Change

With the UN Report on Climate Change 2021 just released this week calling for a 'code red for humanity', the timing for the Bordeaux wine region to ramp up its environmental efforts couldn’t come any sooner. This is because wine grapes have long been considered “the canary in the coal mine,” in terms of notifying vineyard owners around the world that climate change is here and real.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Stephen Cronk’s first-hand account of the Provence wildfire
23 August 2021 16:57
Stephen Cronk’s first-hand account of the Provence wildfire

In a searingly honest open letter, Stephen Cronk of Domaine Mirabeau opens up about the Provence wildfire that swept through his estate last week and speaks of the urgent need to act now to mitigate the effects of climate change.

John

Re: Stephen Cronk’s first-hand account of the Provence wildfire
25 August 2021 13:18
Stephen Cronk: wild fires are wake-up call to climate change

The summer of 2021 will be remembered by the international wine community for the devastating fires that have wreaked havoc across so many of the world’s most famous wine regions. Over the last few days thousands of hectares of forest, and potentially hundreds of hectares of vines have been caught up in wild fires across Provence and large parts of south east France, wreaking havoc as they teared across the land. Here, in an impassioned opinion piece, Stephen Cronk, owner of Mirabeau describes what it has been like to feel the brute force of nature and how close he, his family and team came to losing their new Domaine property and why we all need to wake up to the dangers of climate change and take real, effective action.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

25 August 2021 13:21
Provence Wine Region Damaged by the Worst Fire in Nearly 20 Years

As many as 73 French wineries may have been affected, according to one report.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

25 August 2021 13:22
Wildfires Burn Wineries and Vineyards in Provence

A dry summer and strong Mistral winds fueled a blaze in the Var region, burning more than 19,000 acres

[www.winespectator.com]

John

As Italy prepares for harvest, climate change is on everyone’s minds.
25 August 2021 17:01
As Italy prepares for harvest, climate change is on everyone’s minds.

Climate change is always a sticky subject to cover when you’re a wine professional leading a guided tasting in Houston. It’s nothing less than inevitable that there will be some oil and gas professionals among the tasters. And especially when it comes to the older (and monied) petroleum crowd, some of those guests will reliably grumble, however amicably, when the topic comes up.

[dobianchi.com]

John

How wine is adapting to the climate crisis
27 August 2021 17:23
How wine is adapting to the climate crisis

Our changing climate is forcing winemakers to adapt with earlier harvests and hardier grapes. Here is a sample of labels that can stand the heat

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Nothing wrong with hot climate winegrowing
27 August 2021 17:28
Nothing wrong with hot climate winegrowing

I once attended a Hospice du Rhône in Paso Robles — which used to be a yearly (but is now an occasional) celebration of wines for lovers of grapes grown in Mediterranean regions — and I was suddenly struck by a recurring theme voiced by guest vintners who were attending from France’s Rhône Valley, as well as from Australia, and Spain’s Priorat, Jumilla and the lesser known Méntrida region: They all grow grapes, they seemed to gleefully say, in “hot climates."

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

2021 Challenging for Vineyards
30 August 2021 17:35
2021 Challenging for Vineyards

2021, a year in which wine-growers and technicians have worked hard because quick reactions were needed in the vineyards to save a yield already suffering from the effects of the spring frost.

[www.berkshirefinearts.com]

John

Vintners despair after French wildfire ravaged grapevines
03 September 2021 15:24
Vintners despair after French wildfire ravaged grapevines

LE CANNET-DES-MAURES, France (AP) — After a wildfire blazed through a once-picturesque nature reserve near the French Riviera, winemakers who grow the region’s celebrated crop are taking stock of the damage.

[www.sfgate.com]

John

Uphill battle: Spain's wine growers adapt to climate change
03 September 2021 15:27
Uphill battle: Spain's wine growers adapt to climate change

For over a century, Joaquin Gay de Montella Estany's family produced wine in Spain's Mediterranean region of Catalonia but the effects of climate change have pushed them to seek higher ground.

[today.rtl.lu]

John

Fladgate Partnership heralds return to “normal”, though warm winters and hail persist
22 September 2021 16:48
Fladgate Partnership heralds return to “normal”, though warm winters and hail persist

The Fladgate Partnership has welcomed the return of normal weather conditions in the Douro, with a mild summer in 2021 allowing for differentiated ripening across vineyards and lending “flavour, elegance and natural acidity to the grapes”.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Solar panels help French winemaker keep climate change at bay
04 October 2021 17:19
Solar panels help French winemaker keep climate change at bay

TRESSERRE, southwest France, Oct 4 (Reuters) - A roof of solar panels shades Pierre Escudie as he inspects the last plump grapes to be harvested at his vineyard in southwest France, after a year of hard frosts and blistering heat that damaged many of his neighbours' crops.

[www.reuters.com]

John

European Winemakers Reconsider Still and Fortified Wines Amid Climate Change
05 October 2021 16:49
European Winemakers Reconsider Still and Fortified Wines Amid Climate Change

For years, Bollinger’s La Côte aux Enfants was Champagne’s most prominent still wine. In summer 2019, however, Charles Heidsieck launched a limited-edition range of Coteaux Champenois still white wines. It was followed by Louis Roederer’s Chardonnay and Pinot Noir releases last February, and by a trio of Drappier still wines a few months later.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Winegrowers in France experiment with hybrid grape varieties to combat climate change
05 October 2021 16:53
Winegrowers in France experiment with hybrid grape varieties to combat climate change

The country anticipates a nearly 30% overall loss in output compared to 2020. The culprit: a severe late frost, followed by heavy rains which fueled mildew. These extreme weather conditions were made more likely by climate change, experts say.

[www.pri.org]

John

As the Climate Heats Up, Can Germany Keep Its Cool?
06 October 2021 17:12
As the Climate Heats Up, Can Germany Keep Its Cool?

Bright-fruited and linear, ethereal and taut: The archetypes of Germany’s classic, cool-climate wines are distinct from any other style in the world. From the northernmost corners of the Mosel and the Ahr to the southern stretches of Baden, Germany’s wine regions represent diverse climate and terroir.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Europe forecasts historically low wine harvest
22 September 2021 16:44
Europe forecasts historically low wine harvest

Challenging climatic conditions in southern Europe are expected to lead to a significantly lower wine harvest.

[www.beveragedaily.com]

John

Re: Europe forecasts historically low wine harvest
24 September 2021 16:58
Here's What You Need to Know About Europe's Historically Low Wine Harvest

Production across Europe is estimated to plummet 18 percent this year.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

24 September 2021 17:00
Port 2021 vintage ‘looking promising’

The 2021 Port vintage in the Douro Valley is looking promising, with a return to more normal weather patterns this year punctuated by sporadic hail and thunderstorms, reports Richard Woodard.

John

24 September 2021 17:02
Autumn in the Vineyard Brings Harvest and High Hopes

After winter dormancy, spring rebirth and summer growth comes autumn, or harvest in the vineyard. Winemakers treasure this time, which represents hope and a year’s worth of work.

[www.winemag.com]

John

27 September 2021 16:52
Burgundy Blue Over Smallest Vintage Ever

Burgundy's run of golden vintages has come to a shuddering halt, leaving growers in despair.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen