Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Climate Change

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Drought threatens French vineyards
31 May 2022 17:13
Drought threatens French vineyards

Our weekly news roundup finds more weather woes for French growers.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
How Shiraz got cool
07 June 2022 16:59
How Shiraz got cool

New World Shiraz has a reputation for richness and ripeness. But seek out cellar-worthy renderings from cooler climates, and you’ll find opulence giving way to elegance, says Natasha Hughes MW

[cluboenologique.com]

John

The Rain In Spain
10 June 2022 12:38
The Rain In Spain

In English, it’s just drizzle. In Spanish, it’s more graphic. The literal translation of “calabobos” is something that soaks fools. Rather than a downpour – the sort of weather that sends you scurrying for a doorway – it’s the kind of rain that you barely notice, the stuff that drenches your clothes, drip by drip by drip.

[timatkin.com]

John

Climate change is altering the chemistry of wine
27 June 2022 17:35
Climate change is altering the chemistry of wine

Warming, wildfires and unpredictable weather threaten to disrupt the delicate processes that underlie treasured wines. Researchers and producers are innovating to keep ahead.

[knowablemagazine.org]

John

Chilli peppers, coffee, wine: how the climate crisis is causing food shortages
30 June 2022 17:21
Chilli peppers, coffee, wine: how the climate crisis is causing food shortages

Blistering heat, stronger storms, droughts, floods and fires are putting food production at risk

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Olivier Bernard: ‘Global warming has been good for Bordeaux’
30 June 2022 17:23
Olivier Bernard: ‘Global warming has been good for Bordeaux’

“Global warming has been good for Bordeaux – the worst is in front of us,” said Olivier Bernard, director of Domaine de Chevalier, when speaking last week at a symposium organised by Vinexposium.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Climate change is threatening thousands of years of winemaking in Turkey
06 July 2022 16:45
Climate change is threatening thousands of years of winemaking in Turkey

Climate change is posing challenges to vintners in Turkey, endangering the future of an ancient industry.

[www.npr.org]

John

Study predicts growth in UK wine production due to climate change
14 July 2022 17:15
Study predicts growth in UK wine production due to climate change

New research reveals how climate change is likely to increase the potential for wine production in the UK—with conditions projected to resemble those in famous growing regions of France and Germany.

[phys.org]

John

Côtes-du-Rhône winegrowers faced with extreme climate change
25 July 2022 13:16
Côtes-du-Rhône winegrowers faced with extreme climate change

The 180 organic winegrowers from Burgundy, Beaujolais, Provence and Savoy attending the Tech&Bio outreach day in Cornas on 7 July were absolutely stunned, not to say flabbergasted, by a presentation on the consequences of global warming for the Northern Côtes du Rhône wine region.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Pomerol granted permission for ‘exceptional’ irrigation
27 July 2022 12:39
Pomerol granted permission for ‘exceptional’ irrigation

Following extreme weather conditions this year, the Bordeaux appellation has had its request to temporarily reverse a ban on irrigating vines approved.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Bordeaux, Burgundy – it's time to irrigate!
05 August 2022 12:03
Bordeaux, Burgundy – it's time to irrigate!

This year for the first time vignerons in Pomerol have 'exceptionally' been allowed to irrigate in the face of record high temperatures in Europe and their adverse effect on vines. This is the third year in a row that irrigation has been allowed in Pessac-Léognan (see this report in Vitisphere). Scientists predict that we will experience similar heatwaves and drought more often in the near future. Climate change is here and now.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Old vines dig deep in the heatwave
05 August 2022 12:06
Old vines dig deep in the heatwave

It was an email from Ben Little, author of the spellbinding book Pignolo: Cultivating the invisible, which connected some very important dots.

Ben lives in Friuli, and I asked him about how he was coping with the heat. He replied:...

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Chances of climate catastrophe are ignored, scientists say
05 August 2022 12:26
Chances of climate catastrophe are ignored, scientists say

Experts are ignoring the worst possible climate change catastrophic scenarios, including collapse of society or the potential extinction of humans, however unlikely, a group of top scientists claim.

[www.smdp.com]

John

French Agricultural Ministry issues proposals to combat hail damage
06 August 2022 11:20
French Agricultural Ministry issues proposals to combat hail damage

Following hail storms across France in May and June of this year, which damaged an estimated 30,000 hectares of vines, Marc Fesneau, Minister of Agriculture and Food, has unveiled measures to help those affected.

John

There May Be Hope For France's Wine, Despite Drought
16 August 2022 11:40
There May Be Hope For France's Wine, Despite Drought

If you've been rationing your bottles of Beaujolais and Bordeaux, rumor has it that may no longer be necessary. In a recent press release, experts suggested that wine production in France is expected to make a bit of a comeback, rising between 13 and 21%, despite struggles related to climate change. It might sound like a bit of a contradiction, but let us explain.

[www.tastingtable.com]

John

France expects bigger 2022 wine harvest but drought is a concern
16 August 2022 11:43
France expects bigger 2022 wine harvest but drought is a concern

French wine production is expected to rebound from the small 2021 vintage, but drought may yet derail forecasts, a government report has said.

[www.decanter.com]

John

How France’s wine industry is adapting to climate change
23 August 2022 12:00
How France’s wine industry is adapting to climate change

France’s vineyards have had a difficult year thanks to the effects of climate change – with late frosts, hailstorms, repeated heatwaves and a historic drought. The industry is trying to adapt to this onerous new reality through a variety of techniques, from bringing back forgotten grape varieties to moving their vineyards to new locations.

[www.rawstory.com]

John

Re: How France’s wine industry is adapting to climate change
28 August 2022 12:19
BORDEAUX, France (AP) — The landscape in the prestigious vineyards of Bordeaux looks the same as ever, with healthy, ripe grapes hanging heavy off rows of green vines.

[apnews.com]

John

Are irrigation and artificial ponds the key to mitigating climate change in Italian viticulture? Rhabdomancers wanted.
27 September 2022 12:53
Are irrigation and artificial ponds the key to mitigating climate change in Italian viticulture? Rhabdomancers wanted.

As Italian grape growers faced extreme heat and prolonged drought in what could have been an existential threat for many of them in the 2022 vintage, there was ample talk across the peninsula about the need to build artificial ponds and loosen restrictions on so-called “emergency irrigation.”

[dobianchi.com]

John

Climate change in the Douro: ‘Organic is not the solution’
05 October 2022 13:38
Climate change in the Douro: ‘Organic is not the solution’

Finding fixes for the challenges of climate change is high on the list of priorities for many winemakers the world over. But when it comes to solutions, the most obvious choice may not always be the right one.

John

Jamie Goode: Will climate chaos kill Burgundy?
08 October 2022 09:48
Jamie Goode: Will climate chaos kill Burgundy?

I prefer the term climate chaos to climate change. Change seems to understate the magnitude of what the planet is facing. Chaos better describes the unpredictability of the way that weather patterns seem to be so hugely messed up of late. It adds a sense of urgency to discussions about what we should do in response. And for viticulture we seem to be facing a crisis.

[winemag.co.za]

John

10 Ways Climate Change Is Threatening The World's Wine Industry
10 October 2022 17:13
10 Ways Climate Change Is Threatening The World's Wine Industry

2011 to 2020 was the warmest decade on record for planet Earth, according to United Nations. The global wine industry, which is largely the product of the growing environment of each vineyard within unique production regions, is reporting that changes in the climate are impacting traditional methods and expectations. This goes beyond rising temperatures. "Because the Earth is a system, where everything is connected, changes in one area can influence changes in all others," (via United Nations).

[www.tastingtable.com]

John

Italy’s Winemakers, and Grapes, Are Adapting to Climate Change
10 October 2022 17:17
Italy’s Winemakers, and Grapes, Are Adapting to Climate Change

Heat and drought are a challenge for Italy’s wine industry, the current world leader in production, but it is proving remarkably resilient.

[www.bloomberg.com]?

John

Experimental vineyard to bring climate change 'training ground' indoors
25 October 2022 10:46
Experimental vineyard to bring climate change 'training ground' indoors

“The future of research, realistically, is no longer out in the field with a clipboard.”

[www.stuff.co.nz]

John

Is it a climate emergency? Scientists say yes Kim Bernard/OSU
02 November 2022 13:27
Is it a climate emergency?

The OSU expert's report cites increasing frequency of extreme heat events, rising global tree cover loss because of fires.
Steve Lundeberg | Oct 27, 2022

[www.farmprogress.com]

John

Hugelkultur in a Vineyard: A Permaculture Experiment
02 November 2022 13:45
Hugelkultur in a Vineyard: A Permaculture Experiment

One of the best parts of working at Tablas Creek Vineyard is that any idea that pertains to organic, biodynamic, or regenerative agriculture is on the table for discussion. During a harvest lunch, Assistant Winemaker Craig Hamm spoke with Winemaker Neil Collins about a hugelkultur project he’d started at his home, and the wheels started to spin. I had no clue what this term meant or where it came from. It was easy to find out about, though! The concepts of all forms of permaculture are fascinating and fit into Tablas Creek's recipe book quite nicely, using nature to enhance nature.

[tablascreek.typepad.com]

John

Winegrape growers turn to higher trellises to beat heat
04 November 2022 13:34
Winegrape growers turn to higher trellises to beat heat

Trials at a University of California, Davis, experimental vineyard in Oakville found that using higher trellis systems offered better protection for winegrapes in extreme heat, while maintaining yield and quality.

[www.agalert.com]

John

Re: Winegrape growers turn to higher trellises to beat heat
04 November 2022 13:36
What’s the difference between pergola and tendone? The answer may be the key to viticulture in the age of climate change.

The notion that tendone and pergola training systems could represent one of the grand solutions for winemakers facing the wrathful challenges of climate change was first suggested to me many years ago by the writer, publisher, and in-demand vineyard manager Maurizio Gily.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Is This Vineyard the Future of Wine?
10 November 2022 12:53
Is This Vineyard the Future of Wine?

Birds? Moth-eating Bats? One Tuscan winery is pushing the limits of imagination to create a vineyard for the Third Millennium.

[www.townandcountrymag.com]

John

How Climate Change Could Make Arctic Wines More Prevalent
23 December 2022 13:42
How Climate Change Could Make Arctic Wines More Prevalent

In particular, over the past few decades, we have witnessed a dramatic change in weather around the globe. Climate change has heightened the destruction caused by natural disasters such as storms, droughts, and floods, and at the same time temperatures have been rising swiftly (via USGS). These rising temperatures are already having an effect on the wine world, in particular, the vineyards. Wine growers are noticing that once, where certain grape varieties thrived, they are now struggling with drought and scorching temperatures. And, on the west coast of the United States — in California, Oregon, and Washington growing regions — whole harvests have been decimated by the effects of forest fires, which Reuters says can give smoke damage to any grapes within a hundred-mile radius.

[www.tastingtable.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen