Re: Europe forecasts historically low wine harvest
27 September 2021 16:54
Taking stock of the 2021 vintage in Burgundy with Ludivine Griveau of the Hospices de Beaune

Harvesting began on September 17 at the Hospices de Beaune estate. With two months to go before the illustrious charity auction, estate manager Ludivine Griveau shares her first insight into the vintage in an interview with Vitisphere.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
01 October 2021 12:04
First full report on the 2021 Champagne harvest

Giles Fallowfield provides the first full report on the 2021 Champagne harvest, after an incredibly challenging growing season across the region.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

01 October 2021 12:07
Burgundy 2021: winegrowers hold breath over final yields

The 2021 harvest is underway in Burgundy, but the region’s wineproducers are holding their breath as to the final yields following a year of severe weather challenges.

John

01 October 2021 16:51
Champagne Triumphs Through Adversity

It's been a tough year for everyone, but the Champenois are thankful just to get through the 2021 vintage.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

01 October 2021 16:55
A ‘Winegrowers Vintage’ In Provence: Updates On The 2021 Wine Harvest

The wine harvest is recently completed or still underway in most North American vineyards this time of year. For many growers and vintners, 2021 brought challenges. Extreme weather, fires, labor concerns, and pandemic restrictions threw obstacles into what is already a traditionally hectic time of year. But this is also a time of celebration, the culmination of months of hard work in the fields, which will now transfer to the cellar. Social media is full of posts to enjoy: from ripe grapes tumbling into bins to harvest staff sharing a meal or beer after the fruit is safely in the winery.

[www.forbes.com]

John

01 October 2021 16:57
After Awful Year, a Small But Mighty Wine Vintage Is Expected

Mildew, drought, frost, hail—climate change wreaked havoc on almost all wine regions in 2021. But those few grapes that made it through bear the mark of a memorable vintage.

[www.bloomberg.com]

John

05 October 2021 13:07
La Loire – le retour + some news of 2021 vendange

Finally back in the Loire + 2021 vendange (part 1)

[les5duvin.wordpress.com]

John

05 October 2021 13:10
Prosecco Superiore reports ‘excellent quality’ harvest

Producers in the Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore DOCG in Veneto are reporting an excellent quality 2021 harvest.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

06 October 2021 12:20
Bad weather halves wine harvest in France’s Burgundy vineyards

Burgundy vineyards lost around half their yield as a result of this year's spring frost, an industry body said on Tuesday.

[www.thelocal.fr]

John

06 October 2021 17:24
Vendanges : de la Champagne au Bordelais, la famille Gonet écrit une nouvelle page de son histoire au château Haut-Bacalan

Voici le début d’une série d’histoire atypiques de châteaux en plein coeur de Bordeaux et de son agglomération, avec le château Haut-Bacalan. Une pépite proche de la rocade sur la commune de Pessac, avec un fameux terroir qui n’avait pas échappé à Montesquieu qui créa le domaine et le château en 1726; un château acheté et amélioré en 1998 par Charles-Henri Gonet, 7e génération de vignerons champenois. A voir le 11 octobre à 18h53 sur France 3 Aquitaine.

[france3-regions.blog.francetvinfo.fr]

John

Torres: ‘Climate change for viticulture is worse than phylloxera’
02 November 2021 13:27
Torres: ‘Climate change for viticulture is worse than phylloxera’

The International Wineries Climate Action conference warns of 'climate emergency' as it continues working towards its members being carbon neutral by 2050.

[www.decanter.com]

John

What Wine for Tomorrow? Wine in the Face of Climate Challenges, Paints Picture of Possible Future
12 December 2021 13:35
What Wine for Tomorrow? Wine in the Face of Climate Challenges, Paints Picture of Possible Future

When Jeremy Cukierman, then a Parisian wine merchant, traveled to the Rhone to study the impact of climate change on Syrah in the Hermitage in 2015, he didn’t have big ideas about what he would find there. But curious to see what some of the finest terroir-focused producers were doing, he sought them out, visiting 10 vine growers with 294 acres (out of a regional total of 336 acres).

[www.winebusiness.com]

John

Alive! 2021 – wine and nature
14 December 2021 12:56
Alive! 2021 – wine and nature

I salute a tour de force from the team at RAW and in particular Isabelle Legeron MW, organisers of natural-wine fairs and now Alive! 2021. This virtual conference earlier this month with its theme ‘ideas for the world of wines inspired by nature’ was the first of its kind in the wine world. It was a truly exceptional event, like happening upon an Aladdin’s cave full to bursting with glorious ideas, questions and extraordinarily gifted people. It was all enough to make me feel quite high on various thoughts over the following days, and very much Alive!

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Italian Winemakers Are Finding Creative Ways to Battle Climate Change Amid Worrying Reports
07 January 2022 13:21
Italian Winemakers Are Finding Creative Ways to Battle Climate Change Amid Worrying Reports

In April of 2021, winemakers across Europe found themselves battling a freak late frost. At Tenuta di Trinoro, a vineyard in Tuscany, it took a 24-strong team several hours one blistering cold night to set out and light up 3,500 candles to keep the fragile young buds of the vines from freezing. Then, as a summer of brutal sun and droughts drew to a close, the vineyard had to expedite the harvest to avoid ending up with a sugary, high-alcohol product.

[vinepair.com]

John

Terraview is agtech for winemaking, and it’s tackling climate change for the industry
07 January 2022 13:24
Terraview is agtech for winemaking, and it’s tackling climate change for the industry

There are several moving parts when it comes to winemaking, from tending to grape vineyards on a property to harvest timing and production in winery facilities. Then the finished wine may be aged, before bottling and shipping to retail stores, restaurants, and the homes of its customers.

[fortune.com]

John

Face au réchauffement climatique, les vignerons envisagent une taille de la vigne plus tardive…
27 January 2022 18:03
Face au réchauffement climatique, les vignerons envisagent une taille de la vigne plus tardive…

Avec des bourgeons de plus en plus précoces, les vignerons tendent à retarder de plus en plus la taille de la vigne, car le gel de printemps d’avant les Saints de glace est de plus en plus menaçant pour la récolte. Reportage aux châteaux Grand Corbin Despagne à Saint-Emilion et la Fleur Terrien à Lussac en Gironde.

[france3-regions.blog.francetvinfo.fr]

John

Sensors to monitor wine grapes will protect vineyards from climate change.
09 February 2022 18:42
Sensors to monitor wine grapes will protect vineyards from climate change

New technology has been invented to provide winegrowers with water and nutrient readings that can sense when a vine is in need of attention.

John

Winemakers Are Poised to Lose Another Vital Tool to Climate Change
16 February 2022 18:24
Winemakers Are Poised to Lose Another Vital Tool to Climate Change

Grapes are extremely malleable. Plant the same grape variety in different soils, alter the length of time they’re fermented or vessel they’re aged in, and the taste of the resulting wine will be vastly different.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Bordeaux château to ‘simulate’ 2050 vintage climate
09 March 2022 17:38
Bordeaux château to ‘simulate’ 2050 vintage climate

Château La Tour Carnet, one of several grand cru classé estates owned by Bernard Magrez, has said it will use aeronautics technology to test the possible impact of future global warming on Bordeaux vineyards and wine.

[www.decanter.com]

John

The Struggle to Fight Climate Change in Bordeaux
14 March 2022 18:01
The Struggle to Fight Climate Change in Bordeaux

Bordeaux is in crisis. It’s a slow, simmering crisis, but a crisis nevertheless. Climate change is altering the region and can’t be ignored.

[www.winemag.com]

John

New grape varieties can help Bordeaux adapt to climate change, but will the market allow it?
28 March 2022 17:27
New grape varieties can help Bordeaux adapt to climate change, but will the market allow it?

Diverse biological systems are much, much more resilient to perturbation. This is true for ecosystems, but also for agricultural systems, including winegrowing.

History teaches the dangers of a lack of diversity. It is the 1980s and the California wine industry is booming, having doubled its vineyard surface area over the previous decade. Growers had been increasingly planting vineyards on a new rootstock promoted by UC Davis, named AxR#1 – used in 60-70% of the vineyards planted in Napa and Sonoma Valleys from 1960-1980. Unknown to growers at the time this rootstock was highly susceptible to a particular strain of the root-feeding insect phylloxera. So when phylloxera (also known as biotype cool smiley spread throughout California it decimated all vineyards planted on AxR#1. The exact cost of this catastrophe is still obscure, but it ranges in the tens of billions of dollars. The moral of this story is clear; don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

[janeanson.com]

John

How artificial intelligence (AI) is helping winegrowers to deal with adversity from climate change
01 April 2022 17:01
How artificial intelligence (AI) is helping winegrowers to deal with adversity from climate change

Abstract

Climate change has posed major risks for viticulture and winemaking around the world, related to increased ambient temperatures, the variability of rain events, higher occurrence and intensity of climatic anomalies, such as frosts and bushfires. These changes have directly impacted grapevine phenology by compressing stages and pushing forward in time harvest to hottest months, producing a dual warming effect. Bushfires also directly impact berry smoke contamination, which can be passed to the wine in the winemaking process producing smoke taint. Due to these events' complexities and their effects on viticulture and winemaking, a smarter approach is required to obtain relevant information and process it efficiently for more appropriate decision-making by different practitioners. In the last 10 years, artificial intelligence has offered various applications to be included in viticultural and winemaking operations, which has rendered important advances and information to deal with climate change adversities.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Climate change: 'We're making wine in Norway'
19 April 2022 17:10
Climate change: 'We're making wine in Norway'

Norwegian winemaker Bjørn Bergum talks to his grapevines.

"You have to have a connection with them. When I woke up this morning, there was 3cm of snow. I was saying to them: 'Don't be afraid - it will be nice in the afternoon.'"

[www.bbc.com]

John

Climate Change Pushes French Winemakers to Rethink Age-Old Practices
26 April 2022 12:43
Climate Change Pushes French Winemakers to Rethink Age-Old Practices

In early April, vineyards across France were struck by freezing temperatures. With thermometers reading minus 7 degrees Celsius (just over 19 degrees Fahrenheit) in some areas — making it the coldest April night in 75 years — winemakers were forced to light up hundreds of flaming candles and use the downdraft from helicopters to save the precious young buds on the vines. These unseasonal frosts as well as soaring temperatures in summer are becoming increasingly frequent hazards for French winemakers as a result of climate change. In a country with a time-honored tradition in viticulture, winemakers are undertaking seismic shifts to save their famed products.

[vinepair.com]

John

Re: Climate Change Pushes French Winemakers to Rethink Age-Old Practices
27 April 2022 17:25
How Southern French Winemakers Are Adapting Their Rosés to Climate Change

The 2021 vintage underscored the many challenges that southern French producers are facing amidst climatic extremes and rising temperatures. How will it impact their rosés?

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

Say goodbye to chardonnay: Global warming changing the wines Australia can make
11 May 2022 13:33
Say goodbye to chardonnay: Global warming changing the wines Australia can make

A decade from now, the selection of wines on the shelves of your local bottle shop will look a little different. Alongside the perennial favourites - chardonnays, sauvignon blancs, pinot noirs - will sit bottles of lesser-known varieties that thrive in warmer climates, such as fiano, tempranillo, soave and albarino.

[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

John

Bad weather will hurt Belgian wine production in 2021 | the interior
17 May 2022 17:08
Bad weather will hurt Belgian wine production in 2021 | the interior

Belgian wine has had a bad year. Production fell by more than a quarter in 2021 due to bad weather. This is according to figures from the Federal Public Service Economy.

[www.thecherawchronicle.com]

John

How Pancho Campo is Tackling the Climate Crisis Through Green Wine Future 2022
18 May 2022 12:35
How Pancho Campo is Tackling the Climate Crisis Through Green Wine Future 2022

Plus 3 premium wines that have shaped the climate crusader’s work

[www.pix.wine]

John

Adapting vineyards to a changing climate: Torres look to the future
18 May 2022 12:37
Adapting vineyards to a changing climate: Torres look to the future

Catalan producer Torres is experimenting with new innovations to tackle climate change in the vineyard.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Scientists claim higher altitude vines may adapt ‘better’ to climate change
27 May 2022 17:02
Scientists claim higher altitude vines may adapt ‘better’ to climate change

The areas most suitable for viticulture are likely to shift into higher altitudes due to climate change, according to scientists.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen