Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

EU, UK, brexit.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Re: Auction highlights: The most expensive wine lots of 2017
04 January 2018 11:25
Re: Auction highlights: The most expensive wine lots of 2017
04 January 2018 12:12
Alhier ook. Wij moeten meer op de Italiaanse tour.

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
England’s wine industry under the spotlight.
14 December 2017 18:29
Cijfers om trots op te zijn.

Halverwege het artikel wordt Nyetimber weer eens in het zonnetje gezet. Terecht.

[www.newfoodmagazine.com]

John

Number of UK wine producers leaps 13% in a year to record high 397.
01 November 2017 11:32
Brexit of geen Brexit maar dit gaat crescendo.

[www.uhy-uk.com]

John

What are lees in wine? – Ask Decanter
05 October 2017 17:22
Confused when a tasting note or description refers to ‘lees’? And what sort of flavours do they produce? Our experts explain….

[www.decanter.com]

John

Brexit en Franse wijn
30 August 2017 12:07
When Brexit becomes a wine issue or an opportunity
by iDealwine 15 June 2017
The UK has always been one of the major players for world wine imports. Indeed wine consumption accounts for more than one-third of UK alcohol consumption in volume. French wine exportations to England go back a long time ago. During the XIIth century, Bordeaux region was British and thanks to maritime paths many barrels were exported to England. Brits have always enjoyed drinking fine wine and especially French. Brexit may have consequences on this historical pleasure.
The impact of Brexit on wine trade
From a macroeconomic point of view, Brexit will reduce British real income and devaluate pound. For Bordeaux 2016 En Primeur, UK wine buyers had to face a 10% to 15% increase in price, due to pound devaluation. In a paper published by UK Trade Policy Observatory, University of Sussex, last May, Kym Anderson and Glyn Wittwer imagine one of the worst, but most likely, scenarios for 2025, where the UK applies to EU members the EU’s external tariffs and where no Free Trade Agreements (FTA) are negotiated with other countries. In this scenario, the price of wine will be 22% higher than it would have been without Brexit, whereas wine volume consumption will be 28% lower. Moreover, other industries will be impacted by less wine sold in the UK: UK wine bottling, transporting, storing, wholesaling and retailing businesses, restaurants and pubs. iDealwine is among these other businesses, and the Brits account for about 4% of iDealwine total sales and 14% of our exports. Of course, it goes without saying, that Brexit will have a wider impact on domestic wine market than on global wine markets, although the latter has to be carefully considered. Over the period 2010-2015, the UK market was just above 14% of world’s wine imports, in value. With Brexit, it will be around 10%. If we zoom into some key wine-exporting countries, we find out that UK wine exports account for 43% of Australian wine in volume and for 31% of New-Zealand wine in value. Nearly 15% of French wines exports were exported to the UK which represents 19% of French wine value.
Also, with Brexit, the EU trade agreements with Chile and South Africa will be erased. In 2025, world wine imports will be lower by 240 million litres, as the other countries wine importations increase of 192 million litres does not compensate UK’s decline in importation, setting it at 432 million litres. Super-premium still wines will be more affected than sparkling and commercial still wines, although quite touched.
Most of the wines sold on iDealwine to the UK are super-premium (fine and mature), and the Brexit is evidently impacting the rapid growth of the platform in the country. However and despite the tense market, iDealwine sales in the UK continue to grow compared to previous year. The average bottle price of €120 versus €80 in France as iDealwine UK customer bases, mainly fine wine merchants and private collectors are mostly looking for mature vintages and rare bottles on iDealwine.
The pound devaluation does benefit to some wine producers: English ones will see their exports be 5% higher thanks to Brexit, although domestically they will sell less. Although the Wine and Spirit Trade Association hopes British consumers will turn to British alcohols and wines, the report presented in the beginning of the article is not at all optimistic for domestic market, underlining a general decrease in wine and alcohol consumption in the UK.
Moreover, the alcohol duty has always been much higher in the UK, than in France, for instance. Indeed, at the moment, for a bottle of still wine, a British consumer has to pay about €2.46 (£2.16) to the taxman, whereas a French consumer about €0.03 (less than 3 pence). And this trend is getting worse, since the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Philip Hammond, announced an increase in alcohol duties with inflation.
It may be good news for private UK wine sellers
Considering pound devaluation against euro and dollar, it could be interesting, in the wake of the increase of English wine producers exports, to consider for private wine collectors to sell their wines in euro. On iDealwine, they could do so and then earn more when converting back to pounds, than if they sold their bottles directly in pounds. Sourcing on iDealwine has been so far largely made in France, accounting for over 95% of the wine sources. Based in iDealwine London office, Arthur de Lencquesaing, in charge of international development, receives more and more requests from British wine collectors looking to sell wine on the platform. The leading position of iDealwine in the online auction market with bidders based in more than 50 countries is a very strong argument for the sellers. The success of recent sales of English cellars on iDealwine auction is very promising. The UK might become a key market for sourcing wine in the coming years.
A new wine world after Brexit
The decrease in British wine consumption could have a ricochet effect in the world, increasing EU, Chilean and South African exports in other countries, usually customers of Australian, Argentinian or New Zealand wines. EU27 will export 151 million litres (US$ 1.2billion) less in 2025 and the rest of the world 90 million litres ($630million) less.
If we imagine a less catastrophic scenario, the UK could find agreements with commonwealth countries (Australia, New-Zealand, South Africa) and other countries (USA, Latin America: Argentina, Chili) to ease wine exchanges, pleasing British consumers who love such wines. Indeed, the Conservative Party had in its General Election program the will to strike trade deals with other countries around the world, which could boost other countries’ wines at the expense of French and European wines.
Re: Brexit en Franse wijn
30 August 2017 17:21
Sluit naadloos aan bij het bericht gisterenavond in Nieuwsuur. Wijnen, pakweg twee jaar geleden aangekocht, waren nu 30% duurder. Niet een paar maar rij na rij.

John

What is chaptalisation? – ask Decanter
15 August 2017 17:30
Vroeger was het haast regel in Duitsland. Ik denk dat het met al die zonuren nu nauwelijks nog nodig is.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Brexit is forcing up UK wine prices, warns WSTA
01 June 2017 13:15
Wine prices are rising and there is worse to come, the UK's leading wine industry group has said, blaming the effects of the Brexit vote.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: Brexit is forcing up UK wine prices, warns WSTA
01 June 2017 13:44
Chateau Brexit? Average price of bottle of wine reaches record high.

Was het niet zo dat de meeste ouderen voor een Brexit hebben gestemd. En is het ook niet zo dat de oudere Brexitstemmer een betere innemer is van wijn dan de jongeren? Jammer, jammer. grinning smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

John

01 June 2017 13:47
Britse wijndrinker pineut van brexit.

[www.tijd.be]

John

01 June 2017 14:07
Als ik "almost all the wine sold in the UK is imported" lees dan zijn de Britten echt het haasje.
Zeker als de pond 11% in waarde verlor tegen de euro.
Maar goed, geen medelijden mee. Het is immers eigen keuze.
01 June 2017 15:48
Good for me again smiling bouncing smiley
Record number of English and Welsh wine companies launched in 2016.
29 May 2017 17:21
Het lijkt er verdacht veel op dat het aanplanten van druivenstokken in de EU weer mag. Of is er in de GB een andere regeling? Om aan te planten moet je toch plantrechten kopen! Ik lees daar niets over. Wel een enorme sprong voorwaarts.

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Re: Record number of English and Welsh wine companies launched in 2016.
29 May 2017 19:10
Alvast voor de Brexit als Europese wijnen onbetaalbaar worden?
Voor de Britten dan.
Re: Record number of English and Welsh wine companies launched in 2016.
30 May 2017 11:59
Wanneer je daar nu plezier van hebt moet je natuurlijk minimaal vier jaar geleden de stokken hebben aangeplant. Voor volgend jaar verwachten ze nog meer. Er moet dus een flink stuk zijn bijgekomen.

John

Mouth-watering photos from foodie heaven.
02 May 2017 11:43
Een feest voor de ogen.

[www.bbc.com]

John

Re: Mouth-watering photos from foodie heaven.
02 May 2017 18:10
Zeker!
Mooie foto's, en heerlijk anders dan anders.
How to let a wine a wine breathe, and when - Ask Decanter.
28 March 2017 17:23
Vragen die soms opborrelen. Hier de antwoorden.

[www.decanter.com]

John

All-new Cabernet Sauvignon wine quiz – Test your knowledge.
03 March 2017 18:03
Ik moet toch de boeken weer in. Grrrrr Opnieuw 7/10

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: All-new Cabernet Sauvignon wine quiz – Test your knowledge.
03 March 2017 21:31
Vrees niet, ik slechts 6/10
Serving wine quiz – test your knowledge
24 February 2017 18:30
7 van de 10. Inderdaad dat moet beter.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: Serving wine quiz – test your knowledge
25 February 2017 14:01
British wine critic Jancis Robinson donates her life’s work to UC Davis.
18 February 2017 17:34
Vanaf 1970 tot nu. Indrukwekkend. Ik hoop en zie er naar uit dat iemand met een vaardige pen hier een handzaam boek van weet te maken.

[www.sfchronicle.com]

John

Queen aan de wijn, produceert haar eigen bubbels.
24 January 2017 17:57
Dat je toch zo donders moeilijk aan wat Engels sap kan komen. Zo dadelijk nog de brexit en dan gaan er ongetwijfeld importheffingen volgen.

[www.beaumonde.nl]

John

Half of Christmas drinks shop is tax, says UK wine body. grinning smiley
19 December 2016 13:30
Het zal hier niet veel anders zijn. Er blijft zo maar een klein slokje wijn over. Ik heb het niet over de inhoud. angry smiley

De overheid als slokop.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: Half of Christmas drinks shop is tax, says UK wine body. grinning smiley
19 December 2016 13:42
Kan toch niet echt een ontdekking zijn.....
Zelfde verhaal gaat op als je met de auto op kerstvisite gaat naar familie, de overheid vangt het meeste geld van de benzine cool smiley
England’s answer to Champagne.
15 December 2016 12:45
En dat zou zo maar kunnen. Brexit staat er aan te komen.

Bij de Champagneproeverij bij Eelco (Op het oude wijn-prikbord is vast nog wel een verslag te vinden) was een Nyetimber Classic Cuvée op de rol. Eén van de champagnes die mij is bijgebleven. Tot op vandaag. Het verbaast mij dus niets dat de genoemde 2010 in 2015 één van de twee winnaars van de tasting was.

[www.bjtonline.com]

John

Re: England’s answer to Champagne.
15 December 2016 13:03
Nyetimber heb ik ook eenmaal in mijn glas gehad, zeer goede bubbel!
Vriend van mij ging naar Engeland en ik vroeg of hij er eentje mee wilde nemen.
De eerste wijnzaak in Canterbury had ze dus gekocht.
Hij keek twee weken lang in bijna elke wijnzaak die hij tegen kwam en het was nergens te koop.
In NL volgens mij ook niet.
Maar nu ga ik er naar op zoek, moet het weer eens drinken!
Re: England’s answer to Champagne.
15 December 2016 14:06
Het zal nog niet zo eenvoudig zijn om die wijn alhier te kopen. Indertijd heb ik die wijn in de shop van de Stena Line gekocht. Kan nu alleen nog maar op het schip. Maar zelf inkopen in Engeland lijkt mij niet zo lastig. Kijk eens op Vinissimus. Ik zie naast veel en puik Spaans ook redelijk wat anders langskomen.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen