Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Burgundy

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Why is it Château in Bordeaux and Domaine in Burgundy?
10 May 2021 16:58
Why is it Château in Bordeaux and Domaine in Burgundy?

There are 10,000 of them in the Gironde, yet the term “château” only became widespread quite recently, in the 19th century. Why do we use this word in Bordeaux but not in Burgundy? History has played a part, but the answer also lies in the fundamentally different way these two types of French wine estates operate.

[www.idealwine.info]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
It's okay to love Chardonnay
18 May 2021 17:22
It's okay to love Chardonnay

Sorting out the misperceptions

Please excuse the title of this post. No one who loves Chardonnay need ever apologize for harboring a hankering for this varietal, the world's best selling white wine of any sort for going on 30 years. When it comes to wine, or anything of an artistic nature (art, music, literature, fashion, even cars!), you rule your own roost. To heck with what anyone else says.

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

Chardonnay et Kimmeridgien : l’identité du vignoble de Chablis
19 May 2021 11:23
Chardonnay et Kimmeridgien : l’identité du vignoble de Chablis

Lorsque l’on pense au vignoble bourguignon, « Nuits Saint Georges », « Meursault », « Pommard » sont généralement les appellations qui nous viennent le plus spontanément à l’esprit. Mais n’oubliez pas qu’à 120 km au nord-ouest de Beaune, un autre fief du cépage chardonnay participe à l’identité de la Bourgogne : le vignoble de Chablis.

[vinsdumonde.blog]

John

French vineyards hit by frost start to show signs of life in Burgundy and Provence
27 May 2021 17:32
French vineyards hit by frost start to show signs of life in Burgundy and Provence

Frost-stricken French vineyards are slowly showing signs of growth, as temperatures finally start to rise.

[app.vinex.market]

John

Burgundy Eyes Alternative Varieties
01 June 2021 17:26
Burgundy Eyes Alternative Varieties

We round up all the news you might have missed this week and find big news out of Burgundy.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

How are Burgundy's vines now?
08 June 2021 17:16
How are Burgundy's vines now?

Philippe Pascal, owner of Domaine du Cellier aux Moines in Givry, provides an update on this spring’s serious damage to vineyards in Burgundy. See this earlier frost report from Burgundy. Above, what his vineyard should look like now.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Can white Burgundy keep its iron grip on fine wine?
07 July 2021 17:12
Can white Burgundy keep its iron grip on fine wine?

While there has been some talk of white Burgundy pricing itself out of the market, other premium whites are still “curiosities, rather than game changers”, say industry experts.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

The United Nations of the wine world yet to vote on relocation to Dijon
21 July 2021 17:18
The United Nations of the wine world yet to vote on relocation to Dijon

Confirming recent rumours, on 12 July France proposed to move the International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) to Dijon, in Côte d'Or. The capital of Burgundy has thus won its battle against rival candidacies by Bordeaux (Gironde) and Reims (Marne), but it has yet to win the relocation war from Paris to the countryside. “There will be no decision today, but at the next AGM in October in Dijon [on 25 October]. It's an offer, but no decision has been made”, said Monika Christmann, OIV’s vice-chair at the organisation’s nineteenth AGM by video conference in Paris.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Burgundy’s wine region banks on resilient older vines to cope with climate change
26 July 2021 17:26
Burgundy’s wine region banks on resilient older vines to cope with climate change

The heavy frosts that descended on Western Europe in April hit Burgundy especially hard. News reports showed haunting images of frost candles lining the vineyard rows in an ultimately futile effort to keep nighttime temperatures around the vines from plunging to levels that would hurt the tender buds carrying the 2021 vintage. Damage estimates predict this year’s crop could be the lowest since 2003, when a historic, deadly heat wave struck Europe.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

Why the Clos des Mouches is still Joseph Drouhin’s beating heart
27 July 2021 17:04
Why the Clos des Mouches is still Joseph Drouhin’s beating heart

Every wine producer has a vineyard or site that gives that little bit more and works that little bit harder – with the wines produced from it being synonymous with the name of the estate. For the great Burgundy producer Joseph Drouhin that place is the Clos des Mouches, a 14 hectare vineyard acquired 100 years ago by Maurice Drouhin, that sits between Corton Charlemagne, Pommard and Puligny Montrachet. The red and white Premier Cru wines that come from this rare monopole are legendary in Burgundy, but that wasn’t always the case. In the 1980s the family realised the soil was dying and something had to be done quick to bring it back to life.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

A Burgundy Wine Producer: Surviving Tariffs, Covid And 40% Loss Of Yields
30 July 2021 17:22
A Burgundy Wine Producer: Surviving Tariffs, Covid And 40% Loss Of Yields

The past year and a half has been a challenging one for many across the world with waves of the tide of coronavirus shutdowns, illnesses and deaths coming and going with intervals of brief breaks that would hint at normalcy here and there. No one can argue with the idea that this pandemic has been a devastating tragedy on many levels that has had a big impact on loss of life, on long-term health and the decimation of employment for many as well as livelihoods that were intrinsically part of business owners’ sense of self and main purpose in life.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Burgundy’s Other White
06 August 2021 10:22
Burgundy’s Other White

Once neglected, Aligoté returns in vogue

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Caribou Bones and Burgundy
23 August 2021 17:02
Caribou Bones and Burgundy

Aged premier cru Burgundy was my first life-changing wine. I’d left Alaska by then and knew little of wine, but the first smell from the glass transformed me. For a moment it was like catching a flash of caribou soup. The nose swirled with those same smells: a light earthiness, just a touch of herbs and a hint of sweetness. In the mouth, it was delicate and light while overflowing with rich flavor. With its age, it even carried the same texture as caribou soup.

[www.wineandspiritsmagazine.com]

John

French Wine Producer Using Electric Wires To Combat Frost In Chablis, Burgundy
02 September 2021 17:14
French Wine Producer Using Electric Wires To Combat Frost In Chablis, Burgundy

Very little sleep was had by Domaine William Fèvre’s cellar master Didier Séguier while he fought 20 nights of frost over a span of only 29 days in the Chablis wine region in northern France in April earlier this year. “And the temperatures were very, very low this year, around -8 Celsius [18 Fahrenheit],” Didier explained. In some vineyards they lost 50% of their potential grapes in vineyards where they were able to employ protection against the frost while other vineyards lost all of the potential for any grape bunches hence there was zero production. Even though Didier is very well-acquainted with frost, as it has become one of the most concerning issues for Chablis over the past six years, 2021 was still a shock in its relentless onslaught of severe freezing temperatures.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Candles save France's grand cru Chablis from frost ravages
24 September 2021 16:56
Candles save France's grand cru Chablis from frost ravages

CHABLIS, France, Sept 22 (Reuters) - As harvest gets underway, winemaker Laurent Pinson looks at one of his top range grand cru vineyards with relief: by burning large 'candles' he protected the vines from sharp spring frosts that ravaged other parts of his estate.

[news.trust.org]

John

Soon, one third of Côte-d’Or estates will be organic
06 October 2021 17:10
Soon, one third of Côte-d’Or estates will be organic

Burgundy is not holding its horses when it comes to organic winegrowing. Due to its northerly location, organic techniques may have been a concern in the past. Now, according to 2020 data from Orab Bourgogne Franche-Comté, 17% of vineyards are committed to organic farming – either already certified or in the switch-over phase – compared to a national average of 14%.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

A road trip in Burgundy reveals far more than fine wine
11 November 2021 18:02
A road trip in Burgundy reveals far more than fine wine

Find holy history and heavenly vintages in the northern reaches of this celebrated French wine-making region.

[www.nationalgeographic.com]

John

Burgundy Sale Reversed over Fake Fears
25 November 2021 13:28
Burgundy Sale Reversed over Fake Fears

The world-record sale of a large-format of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti's top wine has been reversed.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

What do Burgundy producers really think of high prices & hard harvests?
22 December 2021 13:18
What do Burgundy producers really think of high prices & hard harvests?

As the clock ticks down to the all important Burgundy campaign in January there is still much speculation about how the trade and fine wine customers are going to respond to the new vintage, but, crucially, what prices are buyers going to be expected to pay for what is set to be one of the most in demand campaigns in recent years. To get a first hand grip on what Burgundy producers themselves are saying about the 2020 wines, and their immediate reaction to the devastating 2021 harvest, Sophia Longhi travelled to the region to talk directly to a wide range of winemakers, across some of the smaller and emerging appellations, who are making a wide variety of wines to hear their hopes, fears, and concerns for the months and year ahead.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Tasting burgundy on wheels
28 December 2021 13:27
Tasting burgundy on wheels

As if Jancis had not had enough to worry about, with Nick’s falling over causing rather nasty-looking cracks in his skull, thereby stymieing their planned trip to taste 2020s in Burgundy, I received an email last week that she was worrying about me too. Was I going to find all the domaines she had lined up for tastings and what would the access(-ability) be like? At the end of the week she wondered how it had gone. Brilliantly, in a word. There’s no point in a long recital but I write this as an encouragement to anyone on Purple Pages who has to mix a passion for wine with the travails of a physical disability. They can be mixed, and yes you can.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Burgundy's Red, Barolo is Too
03 January 2022 18:19
Burgundy's Red, Barolo is Too

Is Barolo Italy's answer to Burgundy and Brunello di Montalcino its Bordeaux?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Burgundy: MSc course in sustainable wine tourism launches
05 January 2022 18:21
Burgundy: MSc course in sustainable wine tourism launches

A new MSc course offering the chance to learn about sustainable wine tourism and gastronomy close to famous vineyards has been launched by the Burgundy School of Wine & Spirits Business.

[www.decanter.com]

John

The Côte d'Or's deep south?
11 January 2022 18:28
The Côte d'Or's deep south?

The second week of January is traditionally Burgundy Week in London but has been considerably curtailed by Omicron effects this year. At the many tastings of 2020s originally planned for next week, the vast majority of wines shown would have been from the Côte d’Or, the east-facing ‘golden slope’ of limestone and marl that produces Burgundy’s most revered and most expensive wines.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

A Pinot Noir switcheroo
24 January 2022 18:09
A Pinot Noir switcheroo

In the old days we Europeans used to berate what we referred to as ‘New World’ Pinot Noirs for being too dark, too alcoholic, often too tannic, and lacking the finesse of the prototype, red burgundy.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Why Domaine Vacheron is the real king of the castle in Sancerre
31 January 2022 18:16
Why Domaine Vacheron is the real king of the castle in Sancerre

As the Vacherons raze 10 houses in the centre of Sancerre to make a € multi-million winery measuring one hectare in size, their ambition is clear for all to see. Cousins Jean-Laurent and Jean-Dominique Vacheron have, during their tenure as fourth generation winemakers, already cemented this central Loire estate’s reputation as arguably the best producers of red and white Sancerre. They have bought land in the best parcels, converted to full organic and biodynamic farming, and employed painstaking methods on their single-vineyard wines that recall the fastidiousness of Burgundian monks in the Côte d’Or. For one terroir-based cuvée they even age the wine in barrels sourced from Domaine Romanée Conti. Now they see this as the perfect time to re-set their sights set on the UK market with a deal struck with Pol Roger Portfolio. Peter Dean visited Sancerre to see some bold moves taking place.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

The Mâconnais – Bourgogne with a southern accent
04 February 2022 18:27
The Mâconnais – Bourgogne with a southern accent

Bourgogne is world renowned for its wines from 84 Appellations d’Origine Contrôlée (AOCs) and diverse Climats (plots). One of the regional AOCs is Mâcon, Bourgogne’s southern, lesser-known area of quality and value wines.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

Romanée-Conti Still Out on its Own
22 February 2022 13:39
Romanée-Conti Still Out on its Own

While other Burgundy producers are busy pushing their 2020 vintages, DRC has just released its 2019s.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Appellation guide | Gevrey-Chambertin, Burgundy
22 February 2022 13:49
Appellation guide | Gevrey-Chambertin, Burgundy

Gevrey-Chambertin is a village of just over 3,400 residents. It is also one of France’s top appellations. Found in Burgundy’s Côte de Nuits, between Dijon and Beaune, Gevrey-Chambertin comprises 400 hectares of vines, with nine grands crus and 26 premiers crus in its roster.

[www.idealwine.info]

John

Burgundy 2020’s ‘unbelievable freshness’ follows better vineyard management
28 February 2022 11:25
Burgundy 2020’s ‘unbelievable freshness’ follows better vineyard management

In the wake of a trio of hotter vintages, Burgundy’s growers are handling warmer vintage better, and have managed to harvest a 2020 of “unbelievable freshness”, according to Burgundy experts.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Alain Graillot, Who Led France's Crozes-Hermitage to Prominence, Dies at 77
08 March 2022 18:15
Alain Graillot, Who Led France's Crozes-Hermitage to Prominence, Dies at 77

In mid-life, he left a career in Paris to make wine in the Northern Rhône Valley

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen