Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Food & wine en restaurants

Gepost door JohnCopier 
VARIATION WATCH
12 November 2020 18:11
VARIATION WATCH

Constant variation is the life blood of the wine community. The basic styles of wine—red, white, sparkling, and fortified—have been around for centuries. What makes wine interesting is the constant striving for difference within these basic styles that is carried out by nature and our ability to harness it to produce something delicious.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
M RESTAURANTS HIRES CHAMPAGNE-SERVING ROBOTS
30 November 2020 18:04
M RESTAURANTS HIRES CHAMPAGNE-SERVING ROBOTS

Martin Williams, the chief executive of Rare Restaurants, has recruited Champagne-pouring robots to serve diners at London’s high-end M restaurant chain after lockdown.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

How About a Wine Pairing Tonight?
16 February 2021 18:36
How About a Wine Pairing Tonight?

Miguel de Leon, the wine director at Pinch Chinese in New York, first began pairing wines using the traditional French notion of what-grows-together-goes-together at Chez Panisse in 2005. But by 2009, working at the Momofuku group, where food wasn’t defined by one region much less one country, he began thinking about pairings as a way to “[maximize] deliciousness,” pairing off-dry sake with foie gras or a celery cocktail with stewed fruit for an ants-on-a-log experience. “Red wine with meat? Maybe. But it was more interesting to show something like Jura sous-voile instead of a well-trodden cab or pinot,” he says.

[punchdrink.com]

John

How TV’s Raul Diaz mastered the fine art of wine and food pairing
19 February 2021 18:42
How TV’s Raul Diaz mastered the fine art of wine and food pairing

At home or at work, finding the perfect wine to match a dish is a fine art – in his latest book Wine & Recipes, wine consultant Raul Diaz uses his Chilean heritage and experience of visiting over 100 countries to inform a colourful and insightful look at wine-and-food matching. Apart from featuring some dazzling recipes the book attempts to lead you into making some smart pairing choices, advice which can be used as a basis for on-site training.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Agrifood Brief: More w(h)ining than dining – MEP’s beef with agri promotion
01 March 2021 14:17
Agrifood Brief: More w(h)ining than dining – MEP’s beef with agri promotion

This week: EURACTIV speaks with Green MEP Viola von Cramon about a new report released which found that agricultural subsidies continue to be misused across countries in Central and Eastern Europe, we discuss a new proposal for a ‘Mediterranean diet’ label, and we speak with Simon Wancke, vice-president of the EU young farmers association CEJA, about concerns over the looming Mercosur agreement

[www.euractiv.com]

John

The secret to a successful wine pairing? Fats have an affinity for tannins
23 March 2021 18:06
The secret to a successful wine pairing? Fats have an affinity for tannins

Tannins interact at molecular level with fat globules in cheeses, meats, and oils.

[arstechnica.com]

John

Raul Diaz on best food recipes per grape variety: Part 1 – Pinot Noir
24 March 2021 18:20
Raul Diaz on best food recipes per grape variety: Part 1 – Pinot Noir

As a trained sommelier Raul Diaz has many years of experience working directly with customers and chefs to draw up a mental list of which sort of dishes go with each major grape variety. A list he has now turned into a book, Wine & Recipes by Raul Diaz, that is aimed both at the drinks trade and consumers. Here in the first of a new series he shares the principles of food and wine pairing and highlights which styles of food are best matched with Pinot Noir.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

BEYOND BALANCE
31 March 2021 17:02
BEYOND BALANCE

Most premium wines and even many budget wines are balanced. To say a wine is balanced doesn’t tell us much except that it was competently made. We need to distinguish balanced wines from wines that exhibit great harmony and integration.

John

Wine and Music Pairing: A Next-Level Aesthetic Experience
08 April 2021 13:24
Wine and Music Pairing: A Next-Level Aesthetic Experience

The evidence that pairing music with wine can enhance one’s tasting experience continues to mount since I last visited this topic in 2017. A research team headed by Q.J. Wang showed that, in a winery tasting room, wines tasted with a soundtrack chosen to enhance oak-derived flavors were rated as significantly fruitier and smoother than the same wines tasted in silence. Master of Wine, Susan Lin wrote her thesis on the effects of music on the taste and mouthfeel of Brut Non-Vintage Champagne. And Jo Burzynska’s published research includes a paper entitled “Tasting the Bass,” which investigates the effects of lower frequency sound on the perceived weight and body of a New Zealand Pinot Noir and a Spanish Garnacha. The study also measured the influence of pitch on aromatic intensity and the perception of acidity.

John

It’s Time to Forget the Old Rules of Wine Pairing
11 April 2021 13:24
It’s Time to Forget the Old Rules of Wine Pairing

On any given night in the pre-pandemic days, there was a four-top at a restaurant with a small-share-plates-so-order-several-items-and-I’ll-course-it-out-for-you type of menu, and, inevitably, someone in the group would want the sommelier to recommend a wine to pair.

[www.eater.com]

John

Can wine and cheese be the new engines of 'clean' electricity?
15 April 2021 17:44
Can wine and cheese be the new engines of 'clean' electricity?

Mexican scientists are using waste from two of the country's most prolific industries to produce biofuel. How do they do it?

[aldianews.com]

John

HOW TO PAIR MUSIC AND WINE
06 May 2021 17:12
HOW TO PAIR MUSIC AND WINE

Wine and music pairing is becoming increasingly popular, and the effectiveness of using music to enhance a wine tasting experience has received substantial empirical confirmation. (I summarized this data and the aesthetic significance of wine and music pairing last month on this site.) But to my knowledge there is no guide to how one should go about wine and music pairing. Are there pairing rules similar to the rules for pairing food and wine? Is there expertise involved that requires practice and experience?

John

WINE TRADITIONS, AUTHORITY, AND AUTHENTICITY (PART 2)
21 May 2021 17:08
WINE TRADITIONS, AUTHORITY, AND AUTHENTICITY (PART 2)

Wine traditions represent a common stock of knowledge and know how but also supply members with a sense of identity. They use flavor consistencies, symbols, and ceremonies to link people to a place, a common sense of the past and a sense of belonging. Last week in Part 1 I argued that when traditions are challenged because of outside influences, it becomes necessary to consciously assert one’s identity, at which point the concept of authenticity becomes decisive. One needs some way of separating what is really mine from the imposters who have crossed the border. But what is authenticity and who decides?

John

They Are Coming For The Neck of French Wine
06 July 2021 16:55
They Are Coming For The Neck of French Wine

It was difficult to find any non-mocking coverage of the claim made last week by University of Connecticut professor Mathilde Cohen that “French eating habits reinforced the ‘dominance’ of white people over ethnic minorities.” These mocking reactions came in response to a talk she gave in France on the subject that, in turn, was based on a paper she wrote on the subject.

Deze Mevr. Professor Mathilde Cohen begrijpt het.

[fermentationwineblog.com]

John

How restaurants can up profits by applying neuroscience to wine lists
09 July 2021 17:33
How restaurants can up profits by applying neuroscience to wine lists

Offering customers exactly what they want is a key aim of everyone in hospitality. But, in order to achieve that, we need to understand more fully how the brain works in its connection to the perception of flavour and eating behaviour argues Dr Qian Janice Wang who uses wine as the medium through which to study the human mind. Restaurateur, wine consultant and importer, Mike Turner, had an audience with Janice at the Somms’ Edition of the Spanish Wine Academy initiative operated by Ramon Bilbao. Here he learnt why people will pay more if they eat with heavier cutlery and why even the most hardened wine critic can still be fooled by fake rosé.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Slow Food, Slow Wine
19 July 2021 17:26
Slow Food, Slow Wine

The concept of sustainability is growing more important in the wine world, and with good reason: as the planet warms, cultivation of wine grapes is becoming difficult or even impossible in many of the world’s most famous regions. Even though a wine’s packaging has the major impact on its carbon footprint, there are many things that can be done in both the vineyard and the cellar to make a wine healthy and environmentally responsible.

[www.palmbeachillustrated.com]

John

The science of scent for flavour in food
22 July 2021 17:14
The science of scent for flavour in food

Flavour is the name of the game for scientists who want to optimise food for consumption in ways that improve nutrition or combat obesity.

[www.foodprocessing.com.au]

John

Is French cuisine forever changed?
23 July 2021 17:52
Is French cuisine forever changed?

Alain Ducasse says the pandemic accelerated the evolution of French cuisine. But some are in no hurry to abandon the generations-old rituals that define the Gallic art of eating.

[www.bbc.com]

John

Why are restaurants’ cheapest bottles of wine becoming so expensive?
12 August 2021 17:18
Why are restaurants’ cheapest bottles of wine becoming so expensive?

Wine lists shouldn’t be terrifying but too often they make me feel like a second-class citizen

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Revolutionary broth: the birth of the restaurant and the invention of French gastronomy
27 August 2021 17:15
Revolutionary broth: the birth of the restaurant and the invention of French gastronomy

From the rise of click and collect to the advent of dark kitchens, the very concept of the restaurant is undergoing major changes. Even before the pandemic hit, consumers were moving away from the physical location of the restaurant, a transformation which has only been accelerated by coronavirus. These new ways of eating question the very identity of the restaurant itself, and invite us to investigate its origins.

[theconversation.com]

John

Is the second-cheapest wine a rip-off?
30 August 2021 17:42
Is the second-cheapest wine a rip-off?

It is a truth almost universally acknowledged that ordering the second-cheapest wine in a restaurant is a no-no. According to former Wall Street Journal wine columnists John Brecher and Dorothy Gaiter, “…the cheapest wine on the list is often a fine value, while the second-cheapest wine on the list is almost always the worst value, since people don’t want to appear penurious by ordering the least expensive wine on the list.”. An article in the Daily Telegraph from 2014, “Why you should never order the second-cheapest wine” delivers the same message, as does a column by best-selling behavioural economist Dan Ariely.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Do You Need to Worry About Food and Wine Pairing?
11 November 2021 17:57
Do You Need to Worry About Food and Wine Pairing?

Simple pairings can be as satisfying as complicated ones

[www.pix.wine]

John

The ins and outs of bringing your own wine to restaurants
31 January 2022 17:59
The ins and outs of bringing your own wine to restaurants

In theory, to buy a bottle of wine, bring it to a restaurant that already serves wine and then pay an extra fee simply to have it uncorked sounds a bit counterintuitive. Yet, if done right, it can make a night out feel extra special.

Here are some considerations and best practices when deciding whether to bring your own wine.

[www.saucemagazine.com]

John

Vin Jaune Wine Drives Chefs Wild — Here’s Why
04 February 2022 18:21
Vin Jaune Wine Drives Chefs Wild — Here’s Why

The yellow wine of Jura is a cult classic among food lovers

[www.pix.wine]

John

WINE AND FOOD THAT MAKES YOU CRY
07 March 2022 18:13
WINE AND FOOD THAT MAKES YOU CRY

Can wine or food express emotions?

John

Niederländischer Gault&Millau Restaurantführer 2022 vorgestellt.
16 March 2022 18:35
Niederländischer Gault&Millau Restaurantführer 2022 vorgestellt.
:
Jubel im Heuvelland

[www.aachener-zeitung.de]

John

What Wine Pairs with Matzah? New & Notable Options for Passover
15 April 2022 17:03
What Wine Pairs with Matzah? New & Notable Options for Passover

Think you’re a wine pairing expert? Step up for the Passover kosher wine challenge, where you have to pick a wine that can last in the glass through an hours-long event, stand up to a sinus-clearing blast of horseradish, and match deliciously with a multi-course festive meal. Thankfully, you’re not alone. We’ve got recommendations for all kinds of kosher wines worth buying, bringing, and enjoying as part of the eight days of Passover.

[www.alcoholprofessor.com]

John

Exploring the Philosophy of Food and Wine
01 June 2022 17:28
Exploring the Philosophy of Food and Wine

TECHNOLOGY MUST SERVE AESTHETICS

John

Cooking with wine analysed
31 August 2022 16:59
Cooking with wine analysed

‘Whatever its colour, the wine must be clean and without a harsh, aggressive taste. Very cheap table wine sometimes does not react well in cooking, and it is better to use something superior in quality, although this does not have to be a great wine.’ So says Larousse Gastronomique. My mother, who spent most of her cooking years in Zimbabwe and used wine in many dishes, may not have complied with this advice, as anyone who has tasted Zimbabwean wine would attest. Choices were limited (severely, one might add). But her food was always delicious. Which brings us to a question that has divided chefs, cooks and wine lovers since time immemorial. Literally. Which wine should you use for cooking?

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Re: Cooking with wine analysed
31 August 2022 17:01
LIKE LIQUID RAGS IN YOUR MOUTH

Hands down, this article in Financial Times by Tamlyn Currin (who writes for Jancis Robinson) is the best thing I’ve read on the vexed topic of tasting notes. It’s behind a paywall so I will summarize it.

Currin often uses elaborate metaphors to describe a wine and prefers to focus more on the shape of the wine in her mouth rather than a list of fruits. Some of her readers complain:

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen