Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Why Pinot Meunier is weird (but wonderful)
29 September 2020 17:08
Why Pinot Meunier is weird (but wonderful)

Pinot Meunier is an unusual grape variety. Technically, of course, it is not a variety at all. It is a clone of the Pinot grape variety, along with Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc. This family of four ‘varieties’ are the result of some very visual mutations to Pinot Noir, the ancestral variety, and the mutation that has caused Pinot Meunier is perhaps the most curious of all.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Les résultats de la tonnellerie française sont stables en 2019
29 September 2020 17:19
Les résultats de la tonnellerie française sont stables en 2019

Dans un communiqué, la Fédération des tonneliers de France présente les résultats de l'activité de ses adhérents en 2019. En dépit d’un contexte mondial tendu, les résultats de la tonnellerie française sont stables en 2019. Les 58 adhérents à la Fédération des Tonneliers de France ont vendu 658 000 unités pour un chiffre d’affaires de 494,4 millions d’euros.

[www.mon-viti.com]

John

The Joys of Serendipity
30 September 2020 16:58
The Joys of Serendipity

Bottles of wine don’t usually carry a sell-by date, though supermarket staples may come with advice to drink in the next six to 12 months (in actual fact they’re likely to be drunk in the next six to 12 hours). When it comes to grand Bordeaux, vintage Port and so on, writers such as Robert Parker and Michael Broadbent give a window of anticipated maturity. Treat all such advice with a hefty pinch of salt. No-one has more than a very rough idea how wines will age, and often quite humble and unexpected bottles will turn out to have astonishing ageing potential.

[timatkin.com]

John

Pinot Noir: Stylish Grape Coveted By Growers Around The World
28 September 2020 17:17
Pinot Noir: Stylish Grape Coveted By Growers Around The World

Pinot Noir is the star grape in Burgundy’s red wines and Champagne. It is grown throughout Europe and in the New World. With 277,000 acres (112,000 hectares), it is the fifth most planted red grape variety in the world.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Pinot noir: an endemic or a flexible variety?
01 October 2020 16:53
Pinot noir: an endemic or a flexible variety?

Pinot noir has its historical roots in Burgundy and is generally considered as an endemic vine variety which means that its adaptation is very specific to this environment and that its wines are the most expressive in the same particular situations. Now, Pinot noir has become an international variety because growers rely on its exceptional œnological potential and reputation to reproduce something excellent under their own conditions, and also because the general style of the wines is original and dominated by ‘finesse’ which is a new trend on the international wine market. In that context, it is interesting to evaluate the ability Pinot noir has to adapt, either as a vine variety interacting in a first time with the climate which is the entrance door to the terroir,, or as a wine in terms of ‘typicity’ and specific elements revealed by sensory analysis.

[ives-openscience.eu]

John

To Avoid Tariffs, Winemakers Are Producing Stronger Wines
06 October 2020 11:41
To Avoid Tariffs, Winemakers Are Producing Stronger Wines

Tom Gearing noticed a curious occurrence as he evaluated wine after wine during virtual tastings this summer: all of the alcohol by volumes were coming in higher than typical.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Wine grape varieties: where in the world are they?
06 October 2020 11:45
Wine grape varieties: where in the world are they?

We have all become aware of the changes that have been occurring within viticulture over the past few years. Grape-growing has a long tradition in many regions, often relatively unchanged over extended periods of time. However, this is now changing rapidly, in response to an obviously altered climate this century. This topic should provide the impetus for a few blog posts.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

The Great Wine and Pizza Challenge
06 October 2020 11:47
The Great Wine and Pizza Challenge

Can we strike a balance between slavishly following tradition and trying new things? Let's start with pizza...

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Will This Be 2020’s Most Expensive Wine?
08 October 2020 17:28
Will This Be 2020’s Most Expensive Wine?

This December wine lovers will have an extraordinary opportunity to purchase a selection of large format wines from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti’s 1985 vintage—some of the world’s rarest wines from what is considered to be one of the 20th century’s greatest vintages. The collection, auctioned by Geneva-based Baghera/wines auction house, is estimated to garner close to $2.1 million dollars and will feature a total of 24 large-format bottles (12 jeroboams (3 liters) and 12 methuselahs (6 liters). Michael Ganne and Julie Carpentier, founders of Baghera/wines sourced the wines from one of Italy’s most treasured fine dining restaurants—Enoteca Pinchiorri, a three-Michelin-starred restaurant based in Florence.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Re: Will This Be 2020’s Most Expensive Wine?
09 October 2020 09:09
Wat de gek er voor geeft gaat hier ook wel weer op.
Is de wijn de straks absurde bedragen ook echt waard?
Natuurlijk niet grinning smiley
Judging Wine Quality
13 October 2020 17:26
Judging Wine Quality

There is no faking it. As professionals we are judged by how well we do it. It separates the novice from the professional, and it’s the unwritten--even unspoken--goal of any wine training. What is this mysterious coin of the realm? Simple: judging wine quality.

[www.timgaiser.com]

John

“Fruit Bombs” are Misnamed"
14 October 2020 17:04
“Fruit Bombs” are Misnamed"

It is common to associate ripeness with warm climates. But there is more nuance to this relationship between heat and ripeness than is commonly assumed. One thing I’ve noticed, when I periodically delve into old world wines, is that while warm regions seem to require alcohol at 14% or above to get their grapes ripe, cooler regions, and some winemakers in California who pick early, get ripe flavors with much less alcohol. (By ripe flavors, I don’t mean raisin notes. I mean rich, clear, focused fruit flavors.)

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Who Judges the Wine Judges?
19 October 2020 17:05
Who Judges the Wine Judges?

Are our wine decisions being made by right people and for the right reasons? History may tell us.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Most people don’t like wine the first time they taste it
19 October 2020 17:12
Most people don’t like wine the first time they taste it

Do you remember the first time you tried wine? Did you like it?

I remember tasting wine as an older teenager and finding it quite unpleasant. I’m sure it wasn’t great wine: it would have been on holiday, and my dear parents used to drink enthusiastically but cheaply, probably as a way to switch off after a day spent corralling four children who bored easily.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Wine Experts On How 2020 Is Highlighting New Wine Regions
20 October 2020 17:38
Wine Experts On How 2020 Is Highlighting New Wine Regions

2020 has not been easy for the wine world. To list off a few hurdles: a globe of bars shut down. A global pandemic. Climate change. California and Oregon facing the most destructive wildfire season in history.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Early Christians Might Have Been High on Hallucinogenic Communion Wine
20 October 2020 17:40
Early Christians Might Have Been High on Hallucinogenic Communion Wine

In the new book "The Immortality Key", archaeology sleuth Brian Muraresku suggests that religious wine might have been spiked.

[www.vice.com]

John

Microwaved reds
21 October 2020 17:43
Microwaved reds

Is there any reason why we shouldn’t microwave a glass of red wine for, say, 10 seconds to warm it up in winter?

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Whatever Happened to Old-Fashioned Chardonnay?
03 November 2020 18:17
Whatever Happened to Old-Fashioned Chardonnay?

Some people love the new style of taut Chardonnay, but others miss the voluptuous fruit bombs of old.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

The use of immobilized kefir cells on natural zeolites in winemaking
03 November 2020 18:20
The use of immobilized kefir cells on natural zeolites in winemaking

Nowadays, the multiple technological advantages offered by immobilized cells in fermentations like improved fermentation productivity, cell control and cell stability, application of continuous system configurations, enhancement of cell viability and ability for cell recycling, and improved final product quality have been well documented (Kourkoutas et al., 2004) and the positive effects of immobilization technology in winemaking have been well established. Multiple immobilization supports have been proposed over the past years for use in winemaking. However, the high pressure created on high-capacity bioreactors usually results in destruction of most organic food-grade supports and thus discourage their use by the wine industry.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Sexual Harassment Scandal Roils Court Of Master Sommeliers
04 November 2020 18:12
Sexual Harassment Scandal Roils Court Of Master Sommeliers

If one of the nation’s most prominent wine organizations didn’t need another major shakeup it is the Napa-based, approximately 170-member Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas. The organization survived a massive cheating scandal two years ago, was criticized for its insincere handling of the Black Lives Matter crisis as relative to the wine business and now close to two dozen women have come forward accusing a hand full of male Master Sommeliers of sexual harassment.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Re: Sexual Harassment Scandal Roils Court Of Master Sommeliers
04 November 2020 18:14
The Court Needs to Adapt or Die

In the modern era, wine education and certification are tied to systems and cultures of white supremacy, gatekeeping, and patriarchy. Why the Court of Master Sommeliers, and other certifying bodies, need to be dismantled

[medium.com]

John

A Wine Movie That Will Move You
13 November 2020 18:08
A Wine Movie That Will Move You

How many good wine movies are there? Sideways, sure. Bottle Shock? Meh. The French release You Will Be My Son? One of my favorites, though no one seems to know about it (seriously, check it out). Let’s throw the newly released From the Vine, starring Joe Pantoliano, into the thumbs-up zone.

[www.msn.com]

John

We Asked 12 Wine Pros: What’s the Best Wine Key?
13 November 2020 18:12
We Asked 12 Wine Pros: What’s the Best Wine Key?

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of watching a sommelier’s wine service, you’ve witnessed the choreographed dance of opening a bottle under pressure — potentially in more ways than one. While the choice of wine key might seem like an inconsequential detail, the tool itself can make the difference between elegant dining experience or disaster.

[vinepair.com]

John

The Myth of “Old World” Wine
18 November 2020 18:04
The Myth of “Old World” Wine

The binary of “old” and “new” world has always been fraught. What would happen if we dispelled with this framework altogether?

[punchdrink.com]

John

New Wine Gadget a Breath of Fresh Air
18 November 2020 18:20
New Wine Gadget a Breath of Fresh Air

Every wine gadget makes amazing claims when it comes out, but this one seems to actually work.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Tim James: Is wine getting saltier?
23 November 2020 18:11
Tim James: Is wine getting saltier?

This was a question I posed at the end of the short article on some trends in South African wine in the about-to-be-published 2021 Platter” South African Wine Guide. The words “salty” and (a touch more evasively) “saline” and “salinity” have been cropping up more and more in descriptions of wine – and not just in Platter’s, and not just locally.

[winemag.co.za]

John

REFLECTIONS ON OBJECTIVITY AND WINE TASTING (1)
02 December 2020 18:24
REFLECTIONS ON OBJECTIVITY AND WINE TASTING (1)

The debate about whether wine tasting has objective standards too often assumes a mistaken picture of how taste works. The mistaken picture is something like this: Wine has chemical compounds that produce flavors that are fixed features of the wine itself. When tasters report the flavors they detect in the wine, they either get it right or not. If a wine is perceived to have ripe blackberries, fig, and chocolate aromas, either the wine has those properties or it doesn’t.

REFLECTIONS ON OBJECTIVITY AND WINE TASTING (PART 2)

I argued last week that flavors and aromas do not exist in the wine or in the mind but at their intersection. What exists in the wine is the capacity to produce aromas and flavors, but without someone who can taste those flavors, they remain locked up in the wine as potential, not as an actual sensation of flavor. But our individual tasting histories and biologically set thresholds mean that even expert tasters are sensitive to different aspects of a wine. Objectivity is not a matter of being unbiased. No one is unbiased and sensations are always influenced by context. Instead, objectivity is secured by assuming there is always more to a wine than our current experience can sense. Objectivity means being confronted by something we have not yet mastered and being willing to be educated by it.

John

HOW THE INTERNET IS CHANGING THE WAY WE BUY WINE
08 December 2020 12:59
HOW THE INTERNET IS CHANGING THE WAY WE BUY WINE

The internet has long played a part in the selling of wine, but no more so than in 2020. With footfall in traditional wine merchants falling, restaurants closing and on-trade agencies seeing their accounts dwindle, the drinks trade has had to adapt, and for many the internet has provided a welcome refuge, offering new ways of reaching consumers and opportunities to diversify and protect revenue.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Drinks Get Funky, The Line Between Beer and Wine Blurs
08 December 2020 13:21
As Drinks Get Funky, The Line Between Beer and Wine Blurs

Vinnie Cilurzo’s Sonoma barrel room is meticulously organized. The Russian River Brewing Company brewmaster keeps the 6,000-square-foot space at exactly 58°F, and the neatly arranged wooden barrels are stacked five high.

[www.winemag.com]

John

GLOBAL WINE TREND PREDICTIONS FOR 2020 – HOW DID WE DO?
09 December 2020 18:05
GLOBAL WINE TREND PREDICTIONS FOR 2020 – HOW DID WE DO?

Yes, we missed one obvious one – but then so did everyone else. How did our predicted wine consumer trends for 2020 stand up in the face of an extraordinary 12 months?

[www.wineintelligence.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen