Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Gewurztraminer, International Wine Grape Of The Cool-Climate World
09 December 2020 18:17
Gewurztraminer, International Wine Grape Of The Cool-Climate World

With a little understanding, the bold wines made of the Gewurztraminer wine grape win lifelong devotees, this writer included. Like Riesling, the grape can work wonders across cool-climate zones, its wines same-place alternatives to those taut ones.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
PRIVILEGED OLD WHITE GUYS AND NEGATIVE WINE REVIEWS
16 December 2020 17:59
PRIVILEGED OLD WHITE GUYS AND NEGATIVE WINE REVIEWS

One of New Zealand’s top wine judges Jim Harre, after sampling a Pinot Noir from Ekleipsi, sent an email to winemaker Jess Mavromatis with the following message:...

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Re: PRIVILEGED OLD WHITE GUYS AND NEGATIVE WINE REVIEWS
16 December 2020 18:01
Wine's Problem with Old, White Men

A New Zealand wine critic's attack on a natural winemaker has left a sour taste.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Arthur George’s ‘The Mythology of Wine’
19 December 2020 11:19
Arthur George’s ‘The Mythology of Wine’

Santa Ynez Valley Resident Explores Ancient Tales About Growing, Making, and Drinking Wine

[www.independent.com]

John

A Solar System Or A Galaxy?
19 December 2020 11:24
A Solar System Or A Galaxy?

Noble Rot Magazine recently ran a blind ‘Champagne vs English Sparkling Wine’tasting in which Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label placed higher than a number of fêted smaller producers(the first iteration of this tasting, back in 2015, also saw Brut Réserves from Taittinger and Pol Roger finish above Chartogne-Taillet, Bêreche and Marguet). When this happens – and it is not a freak occurrence – should we really be surprised?

[timatkin.com]

John

ARE APPELLATIONS STILL USEFUL?
19 December 2020 11:22
ARE APPELLATIONS STILL USEFUL?

wine appellationThe Wine Scholar Guild recently hosted a comprehensive discussion of the future of appellations featuring Andrew Jeffords and Robert Joseph. Only the first half of the conversation is available to non-members but that is sufficient to get the issues on the table. Jeffords begins by making an important distinction between geographical indications and European appellations that specify production methods. They raise distinctly different issues.

John

WHAT DO WE MEAN BY THE “BODY” OF A WINE
24 December 2020 18:20
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY THE “BODY” OF A WINE

It is routine in tasting notes and discussions about wine to refer to a wine’s body. But what exactly do we mean by that? Of course “body” refers to the wine’s mouthfeel and thus is an evaluation of tactile sensations in the mouth. But what, specifically, are the elements of body.

John

Why Winemakers Are Adding Seawater to Their Wines
24 December 2020 18:37
Why Winemakers Are Adding Seawater to Their Wines

Vintners are following ancient recipes that call for a healthy pour from the ocean.

[www.atlasobscura.com]

John

Some personal anecdotes
29 December 2020 18:07
Some personal anecdotes

People do sometimes ask me about the other part of wine writing, since I usually write about data, rather about wines themselves. Do I drink the stuff, and what do I think about it? Well, just for a change, I will write one post about it.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Wine Wisdom for 2021
03 January 2021 13:34
Wine Wisdom for 2021

About the only promise I can make for 2021 is more wine information. I have really enjoyed learning more about wine, the vines, and the various countries that produce wine. Who is the parent? (per Winespeed): DNA fingerprinting at the University of California, Davis in the late 1990s identified gouais blanc (goo-AY blahnk) as one of the ancient “founder varieties.”

[www.travelblog.org]

John

Does The Cost Of The Wine Make It Taste Better?
04 January 2021 18:34
Does The Cost Of The Wine Make It Taste Better?

We are convinced that a talented winemaker can make a good, cheap wine just as well as a great, expensive wine. But there is considerable effort being made in California to produce ridiculously expensive wines just to raise a winery’s image.

[southfloridareporter.com]

John

Exponential increase in wine prices (1980-2000)
05 January 2021 18:39
Exponential increase in wine prices (1980-2000)

Recently, both Neal Hulkower (The cost of drinking wine history) and Eric Asimov (How income inequality has erased your chance to drink the great wines) have commented on the prices of modern high-quality wines, compared to The Good Old Days. Well, I am just as old as they are, so I figure I can do this, too.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

10 ridiculous ways to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew
06 January 2021 17:58
10 ridiculous ways to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew

It’s Friday night and the bottle of wine you’ve been saving all week is calling your name. The glass is ready to go, but wait. Where on earth is the corkscrew? How does one possibly own such a nice wine but not a corkscrew that gives access to said delicious wine? Whatever the reason you don’t have a corkscrew, don’t put the wine away just yet. the drinks business is here to help with a range of borderline absurd methods to get that wine open, no corkscrew required. Who doesn’t like a challenge anyway? Before you get started, maybe just double-check that the wine bottle doesn't have a screwcap and it's not a simple twist job – this might save a lot of potential mess.

In een overlevingskit zit altijd een kurkentrekker.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Welcome to #WorldWineTravel – Join Us!
06 January 2021 18:19
Welcome to #WorldWineTravel – Join Us!

We’ll (virtually) travel the world at a leisurely pace, anywhere there are vines and a story

Kicking Off World Wine Travel Group – Join Us!
2021 serves as the beginning of our new community of wine bloggers eager to explore the entire world of wine, food and wine travel. Our plan is to virtually explore the world of wine, one country or region at a time. If this sounds like fun, take a look at our 2021 plan and join us! We’ll meet monthly on the 4th Saturday of the month. We’ll all blog on a single regional topic and chat about our discoveries from 10-11 AM Central Time in the US on Twitter at the tag #WorldWineTravel. You can join us once, occasionally, or every month. You don’t blog? Join in our conversations, we’re happy to hear all voices.

[foodwineclick.com]

John

In Search Of Familiarity
07 January 2021 18:20
In Search Of Familiarity

It was a comment by a South African producer a few weeks ago that set me thinking. He said, in effect, that South Africa isn’t making enough Chardonnay. It should, he said, be planting more.

[timatkin.com]

John

Samsung is making a robot that can pour wine and bring you a drink
12 January 2021 13:52
Samsung is making a robot that can pour wine and bring you a drink

Samsung is working on a robot that can pick up laundry, load the dishwasher, set the table, pour wine, and even bring you a drink. The robot is called Bot Handy, and Samsung says it’ll be able to recognize objects using a camera and AI.

[www.theverge.com]

John

WORLD’S ‘MOST PRESTIGIOUS’ WINE COLLECTION TO GO ON DISPLAY
18 January 2021 18:11
WORLD’S ‘MOST PRESTIGIOUS’ WINE COLLECTION TO GO ON DISPLAY

The wine collection of Michel-Jack Chasseuil, described (by its owner) as “the most prestigious cellar in the world”, is to be put on display for the public to view – for a €500 entry fee.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

The Historic Pairing of ‘Wine & War’
18 January 2021 18:13
The Historic Pairing of ‘Wine & War’

Santa Barbara Filmmaker Mark Ryan’s Documentary Focuses on Lebanon Then and Now

[www.independent.com]

John

Wine prices 2021
19 January 2021 18:17
Wine prices 2021

Wine prices 2021 will defy the law of supply and demand, and we’ll suffer with more overpriced, mass-market wines

[www.winecurmudgeon.com]

[www.winecurmudgeon.com]

John

HOW TO TALK ABOUT THE BODY OF A WINE
19 January 2021 18:23
HOW TO TALK ABOUT THE BODY OF A WINE

Several weeks ago I argued that the body of a wine is not a single quality but a group of related yet distinct features that sometimes leave conflicting impressions. Thus, referring to body as either light, medium, or full, as most tasting notes do, is simplistic, sometimes misleading, and covers up a world of meaningful detail.

John

Stalin, the Khmer Rouge and Wine Influencers
20 January 2021 18:02
Stalin, the Khmer Rouge and Wine Influencers

It’s not often that you get to read in a wine article in which “Wine Influencers” are compared to Joseph Stalin or the Khmer Rouge. In discussing the claim by Influencers that they work hard at the thing they do, James Lawrence, writing at Wine-Searcher went and did it:

[fermentationwineblog.com]

John

Wine Pairing in a Meat-free World
20 January 2021 17:56
Wine Pairing in a Meat-free World

With more people opting for a meat-free diet, where does that leave the art of wine matching?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

WINE CRITICS, NORMS, AND TASTING THE NEW
25 January 2021 18:37
WINE CRITICS, NORMS, AND TASTING THE NEW

Wine critics at major wine publications have vast experience tasting wines and many have a deep knowledge of the regions they write about. Thus, their opinion is always worth considering when deciding which wines to experience. No doubt, they have preferences that inevitably shape their judgements, but they do a reasonably good job of making general assessments of wine quality and establishing a rough consensus about the relative value of the wines they assess. Of course, there is no guarantee that an individual consumer will like a wine they recommend. The idiosyncrasies of taste make that sort of guarantee impossible. But the job of the critic is not to endorse a consumer’s preferences but to uphold critical standards. There is no reason to think they are systematically unreliable despite worries about financial influence and personal relationships sometimes biasing their judgments.

John

10 Vineyards Behind the World’s Most Famous Wines
25 January 2021 18:47
10 Vineyards Behind the World’s Most Famous Wines

It is often said that great wine begins in the vineyard, and with many of the world’s most storied wines, that is unequivocally true. Yes, viticulture can be confounding, but it’s the all-important factor that truly makes great wine. The soils upon which these vines grow matter, as do their elevations, orientation to the sun and various microclimates. 

[www.winemag.com]

John

France has passed a law protecting the sounds and smells of the countryside
25 January 2021 18:53
France has passed a law protecting the sounds and smells of the countryside

(CNN) — France has passed a law protecting the "sensory heritage" of its rural areas, in the face of complaints about the noises and smells typical of the countryside.

[edition.cnn.com]

John

2021 Wine Scenarios: Good, Bad, or Ugly?
27 January 2021 13:30
2021 Wine Scenarios: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

What will the wine world look like a year from now? Will our assessment of 2021 be good, bad, or ugly? Last week’s Wine Economist column briefly explored a “Roaring Twenties” scenario that is making the rounds both for wine and for the economy generally.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

Does bottle price have anything to do with cellaring desirability?
01 February 2021 18:38
Does bottle price have anything to do with cellaring desirability?

I recently asked the question: How soon is wine consumed after purchase? This inevitably involved the topic of cellaring wines, since most wine production seems to be intended for consumption within 1—3 years of bottling. Indeed, only c. 10% of the people surveyed said that they preferred to cellar their wines.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Tim Milford: why the wine industry needs more male allies to step up
04 February 2021 17:52
Tim Milford: why the wine industry needs more male allies to step up

“If we are to move forwards we need a diversity of voices and we need male voices present to demonstrate change is happening…we need male allies within the industry – it’s about everyone looking to be a part of solving the challenges that the sector faces.” This is the rallying cry from Tim Milford to all men in the wine industry to take a look at what they are personally doing to promote diversity and inclusion in the wine and drinks industry. In this insightful and personal account Milford also sets out some key steps that all men should consider taking.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Partners with the Roots Fund to Support Wine Education
05 February 2021 18:03
Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Partners with the Roots Fund to Support Wine Education

The foundation donated $100,000 for educational scholarships for underrepresented minorities in the wine industry

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Study on carbon sequestration in the vineyard
09 February 2021 19:02
Study on carbon sequestration in the vineyard

Jean Leon is collaborating with the Ecological and Forestry Applications Research Centre (CREAF) to determine the potential of vineyard soil to absorb atmospheric CO2 and contribute to keeping the climate emergency in check.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen