Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
LOOKING AND SEEING ARE NOT THE SAME
10 February 2021 18:48
LOOKING AND SEEING ARE NOT THE SAME

(Two views of Tintin and Snowy)

(A book you should know about)

(Preview of exciting things to come)

I have a picture of Tintin and his dog that has moved me since the first moment I saw it. I don’t recall where or when that took place any more; it wasn’t at one of the “official” Tintin merch shops, because that stuff is all trademarked. This drawing wasn’t made by Hergé.

[www.terrytheise.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
THE ETYMOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF THE WORLD’S BIGGEST GRAPES
16 February 2021 18:38
THE ETYMOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF THE WORLD’S BIGGEST GRAPES

More often than not a grape gets its name from the place in which it was discovered, or the person who identified or crossbred it. But it’s not always so straight forward.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Kiwi Malbec? Signature Wines & the Dutch Disease Effect
16 February 2021 18:44
Kiwi Malbec? Signature Wines & the Dutch Disease Effect

Some people like to define wine regions by their signature grape varieties. New Zealand = Sauvignon Blanc. Argentina = Malbec. You know what I am talking about. So what should you think of a Kiwi Malbec like the one shown here? Read on to find out.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

CHANGING VARIETIES IN VINEYARDS
16 February 2021 18:41
CHANGING VARIETIES IN VINEYARDS

In winegrape vineyards, variety is among the most important factors affecting economic success. And, after all the time and effort we dedicate to selecting a clone, rootstock, and spacing-training-trellising-pruning system to optimize the performance of a scion variety, we are loath to change it. Sometimes, however, due to market circumstances beyond our control, changing varieties may be the best or only option for a vineyard to remain profitable.

[www.lodigrowers.com]

John

Why Do So Many Wines Cost So Much?
19 February 2021 18:40
Why Do So Many Wines Cost So Much?

The wine industry’s term for a “premium wine” is one that costs about $15, which may come as a surprise to those who peruse their wine shop shelves and find that few wines not bottled in jugs by the largest commercial wineries come close to that low price. Of course, there are a few really, really cheap wines for under ten bucks and there are some very good wines that run from $15 to $25, which, quite candidly, is a lot of money for the average wine drinker to shell out for a casual dinner several nights a week. And from there things go askew, with wines that for no reason at all sell for $50 to $100, and then way upwards of there. Many Napa Valley Cabernets now sell for in excess of $200. Since all wine is nothing more than fermented grape juice, what could possibly make wines cost so much?

[www.forbes.com]

John

Accelerated substantial shift towards online wine buying during 2020, including in lower online-usage markets such as Canada and Germany

Look out for our upcoming report, E-commerce and Online Shopper Multimarket Report 2021 publishing February 2021, which will focus on Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, the US and the UK. For more information on the report, or to pre-order, please email reports-shop@wineintelligence.com.

[www.wineintelligence.com]

John

Luxury Bandits
24 February 2021 20:23
Luxury Bandits

Many qualifications have rocks and reefs rousing calm surfaces. Learner drivers are undone by parallel parking. Philosophy undergraduates discover The Spice-Box of Life isn’t a primer for formal logic. The sensibilities that steer life down a particular path may also threaten its undoing.

[timatkin.com]

John

The Life and Times of “Pizza Wine”
24 February 2021 20:25
The Life and Times of “Pizza Wine”

To consider the evolution of the term “pizza wine” in the United States, first consider the “fiasco,” the straw basket–wrapped Chianti bottles filled with plonk that took root in Italian-American restaurants in the 1950s and ’60s. The double meaning of “fiasco,” of course, is a huge catastrophe. “The whole situation of wine being poured into something and sold as something [else] was a huge fiasco,” says Shelley Lindgren, co-owner and wine director of San Francisco’s A16.

[punchdrink.com]

John

Do different wine critics agree on value for money?
02 March 2021 10:29
Do different wine critics agree on value for money?

There are only two things I really need to know about a bottle of wine that I am thinking of buying: 1. Is it good value for money? 2. When should I drink it? Let's look at the first question in this post. (Other features, such as possible food pairings, I can work out later.)

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

The True Chameleon: An Introduction to Muscat
05 March 2021 17:55
The True Chameleon: An Introduction to Muscat

Wine lovers often marvel at the tremendous versatility of Chardonnay. Ever the chameleon, Chardonnay gives us such disparate entities as Montrachet and Champagne; steely Chablis and buttery California examples; hordes of supermarket bottlings and a handful of botrytized Ruster Ausbruchs. What other grape offers so many wildly diverse expressions? I’ll name one: Muscat.

[www.guildsomm.com]

John

MOUTHFEEL IN MOTION: DEFINING A WINE’S RHYTHM
09 March 2021 13:58
MOUTHFEEL IN MOTION: DEFINING A WINE’S RHYTHM

If there is a single, standard, canonical aide to wine education, it is probably the aroma wheel, originally developed by UC Davis Professor Anne Nobel in 1984. It’s safe to say that anyone who has taken classes from one of the major wine education organizations spent some time studying it.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

How Good and Bad Weather Affect Your Wine
10 March 2021 14:15
How Good and Bad Weather Affect Your Wine

Champagne lovers hail  2002  as one of the best Champagne vintages in a century but say 2012 was a horrible vintage for Bordeaux yet an excellent year in Champagne. What does this mean exactly?

[www.winemag.com]

John

Initiative to support world’s oldest vines launches
12 March 2021 10:09
Initiative to support world’s oldest vines launches

An initiative to support the global group of winemakers and viticulturists engaged with the world’s oldest vines has been launched by Leo Austin, Sarah Abbott MW and Alun Griffiths MW.

The Old Vine Conference is a non-profit organisation seeking to highlight the work of old vine pioneers, advocate the scientific and oenological case for old vines, help build old vine wines into a recognised category amongst consumers and slow the loss of important old-vine vineyards worldwide.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Steven Spurrier blew up the wine world with the Judgment of Paris. His legacy lives on.
22 March 2021 18:10
Steven Spurrier blew up the wine world with the Judgment of Paris. His legacy lives on.

How and what we now drink is, in no small part, Spurrier’s influence

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

Chasing Crush: Hollywood's Next Great Wine Country Film?
24 March 2021 18:14
Chasing Crush: Hollywood's Next Great Wine Country Film?

Jersey Boys producer and Sonoma vintner Kevin Kinsella is making a Napa-set drama with winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown and Hollywood veterans Gene Kirkwood and George Gallo. And Brown made a real-life canned Cabernet to pair with it

[www.winespectator.com]

John

The aesthetics of wine
25 March 2021 18:12
The aesthetics of wine

25 March 2021 Ferran reminded me about this article the other day as he wants to include a Spanish translation of it in the latest giant wine book he is producing in Barcelona for Bullipedia. I thought I would give it another Throwback Thursday airing and have updated some of the statistics. Aerial view of central Oxford by Sidharth Bhatia via Unsplash.com.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Fancy a deep red? The rise of underwater wineries
29 March 2021 12:23
Fancy a deep red? The rise of underwater wineries

After bottles were recovered in top shape from a first world war shipwreck, winemakers have started to exploit the sea’s cool, dark environment

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Bierlanden en wijnlanden
06 April 2021 17:21
Bierlanden en wijnlanden

In de wereld van alcoholgebruik zijn er bierdrinkers, wijndrinkers en alcoholisten. Sommige landen worden beschouwd als voornamelijk bierdrinkers, en andere hebben meestal wijndrinkers. Maar hoeveel landen zijn er van elk? Om daar achter te komen, heb ik de gegevens voor 2015 bekeken, zoals opgenomen in de jaarlijkse database van wereldwijde wijnmarkten, samengesteld door Anderson, Nelgen en Pinilla.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

The Wisdom Of Age
08 April 2021 13:32
The Wisdom Of Age

Call it serendipity, call it fate, but there are times when events and conversations seem to align. You go for months without thinking about something and then it’s everywhere, filling your in-box and your brain. Spooky, possums, as Dame Edna Everage once put it.

[timatkin.com]

John

Beer vs wine calories revealed: which is more fattening?
11 April 2021 13:11
Beer vs wine calories revealed: which is more fattening?

We’ve all had the age-old argument about the various health merits of beer vs wine, particularly when it comes to the calorie content of each. But which is actually more fattening, and how do calories in wine and beer match up? We examine the evidence.

John

‘Das Boot’ Director Andreas Prochaska & Producer Moritz von der Groeben on MipDrama Title ‘The Winemaker’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Netflix ushered in a new TV dawn in distribution. In reaction, Europe’s public broadcasters are driving a less vaunted but still significant revolution in production. Few are pushing the envelope more than Germany’s ZDF.

[variety.com]

John

MUSICAL TIMBRE AND THE TEXTURE OF WINE
22 April 2021 12:38
MUSICAL TIMBRE AND THE TEXTURE OF WINE

I’m working on a book about wine and music pairing (co-authored with Clark Smith). So I’ve been thinking about the elements of wine and music that create the sense of congruence or conflict.

John

Finding New Life for Wine-Grape Residue
26 April 2021 12:56
Finding New Life for Wine-Grape Residue

Chardonnay Pomace May Be Rich in Health-Enhancing Compounds

[www.ucdavis.edu]

John

These are the countries that drank the most wine in 2020
26 April 2021 17:08
These are the countries that drank the most wine in 2020

Data from Paris-based International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) has revealed the countries that drank the most wine in 2020, after global consumption fell to its lowest point since 2002.

John

Nature’s Perfect Cellar? Aging Bottles on the Ocean Floor Is the Wine World’s Weirdest New Trend
26 April 2021 17:15
Nature’s Perfect Cellar? Aging Bottles on the Ocean Floor Is the Wine World’s Weirdest New Trend

For somewhere cool and dark to lay down your wine, skip the cave and head for the ocean.

[robbreport.com]

John

Holy War over Religious Wines
26 April 2021 17:18
Holy War over Religious Wines

Altar wine goes natural and a winemaker decries profiteering at auction in this week's news round-up.

Natural wine officially holier than thou

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

The top 15 most powerful wine brands worldwide
28 April 2021 17:22
The top 15 most powerful wine brands worldwide

[www.wineintelligence.com]

John

Words on Wine
05 May 2021 17:12
Words on Wine

Writing about wine is an art form almost as interesting as making it — and it's a lot less messy.

[www.creators.com]

John

WINE TRADITIONS, AUTHORITY, AND AUTHENTICITY (I)
14 May 2021 13:15
WINE TRADITIONS, AUTHORITY, AND AUTHENTICITY (I)

Many wines, especially artisanal wines and wines of terroir, are a representation of the winemaking tradition from which they emerge. But what counts as an authentic representation of that tradition and who decides?

John

Why it’s smart to order the second-cheapest wine on the menu
21 May 2021 17:00
Why it’s smart to order the second-cheapest wine on the menu

The second-cheapest wine on a restaurant menu occupies a complex place in the pop-culture pantheon. As skewered in a classic “College Humor” skit, it’s many people’s go-to order when “you don’t know much about wine, but you do know that you shouldn’t get the cheapest.” An informal poll by Gastro Obscura found that plenty of people really do think that way, with 53% of 304 readers saying that they’d chosen wine by that logic. “I do it so I look like I put some thought into the decision and avoid looking cheap,” one reader explained.

[qz.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen