Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
WILL HYBRIDS BE THE FUTURE OF WINE?
14 March 2022 18:17
WILL HYBRIDS BE THE FUTURE OF WINE?

Most of the quality wine produced in the major wine regions of the world use grapes from the species vitis vinifera. Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Malbec are varieties of vitis vinifera. When we think about the flavors, aromas, and mouthfeel of wine, it’s vitis vinifera that provides the standard model. It tastes good and grows well in temperate regions, especially where rainfall and humidity are moderate during summer and early fall and where winter temperatures are moderated by nearby bodies of water.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Wine on the Nile: Wine Goes to the Movies (and TV)
16 March 2022 18:26
Wine on the Nile: Wine Goes to the Movies (and TV)

One of my pet peeves is wine’s lack of impact in popular culture. Celebrity chefs get lots of traction — even fictional cartoon rodent chefs (have you seen the Disney film Ratatouille?). Celebrity winemakers? Not so much.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

Ask a Wine Pro: How Warm Can Wine Get Before It’s Ruined?
16 March 2022 18:29
Ask a Wine Pro: How Warm Can Wine Get Before It’s Ruined?

The average wine drinker likely thinks of storage temperature in a binary framework: Whites go in the fridge, while reds stay at room temperature. But just five degrees may be the difference between a spoiled bottle and a well-preserved one, and storing your wine outside the Goldilocks window could have adverse effects on taste and quality.

[vinepair.com]

John

Time Changes
30 March 2022 17:25
Time Changes

The old saying, "The more things change the more they stay the same," may apply in many areas of our 2022 daily lives, but I realized recently by walking through my wine cellar how it didn't really apply to wine.

[www.creators.com]

John

It seems that if people aren’t eating or cooking with it, they’re drinking it
30 March 2022 17:36
It seems that if people aren’t eating or cooking with it, they’re drinking it

‘We asked dozens and dozens of people, “Do you have oil at home?” and every person said yes,’ explains Michael. But when they asked which brand was their favourite, nobody seemed to know. ‘It’s bonkers! It’s in your kitchen as a staple of your household and you pay less attention to it than anything else.’

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Jamie Goode: Methoxypyrazines and greenness in red wine
05 April 2022 17:39
Jamie Goode: Methoxypyrazines and greenness in red wine

Is green good? Is green good in red? Can you taste a colour? In the case of green, it seems you can, and the relative merits of green flavours in red wines in one of the interesting stylistic and winegrowing questions in the wine world.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Resistant Varieties: The Next Step Toward Sustainability
08 April 2022 17:03
Resistant Varieties: The Next Step Toward Sustainability

Will consumers agree?

[www.winebusiness.com]

John

Wine report card gets an ‘F’
08 April 2022 17:00
Wine report card gets an ‘F’

In 2017, France implemented a nutrition labelling system called Nutri-Score.

Nutri-Score quantifies the potentially unhealthy factors of a given foodstuff (calories, saturated fatty acids, simple sugars, sodium) with the potentially healthy ones (protein, fibre, and fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and olive or nut oil), then compiles a score and assigns a category from A (healthiest) to E (least healthy) which is indicated on a multicoloured label on the front of the package.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

WHY DO WE WANT OBJECTIVITY IN WINE CRITICISM?
08 April 2022 17:06
WHY DO WE WANT OBJECTIVITY IN WINE CRITICISM?

The case for trying to achieve objectivity in wine tasting via blind tasting seems pretty straightforward.We want descriptions and evaluations to be about how the wine tastes, not extraneous factors such as price or reputation. The drinking public seems to expect wine critics to be consistent in their judgments over time, and when critics disagree about wine quality that disagreement is taken to be evidence that the critics really don’t know what they’re talking about.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Understanding Alluvial Soils in Wine
11 April 2022 17:13
Understanding Alluvial Soils in Wine

While there’s no such thing as the “perfect” soil, winemakers in some of the world’s most renowned wine regions believe alluvial soil is as good as it gets.

[www.winemag.com]

John

The wine countries that focus most on exports
12 April 2022 17:05
The wine countries that focus most on exports

How important are wine exports for a country’s wine sector?

[www.bkwine.com]

John

Understanding the Finnish Wine Market
19 April 2022 17:23
Understanding the Finnish Wine Market

Finland is a beer drinking country where craft ales are currently booming. Nearly half - 47% - of all alcohol consumed is beer, compared to just 19% for wine. But wine is fighting for its place. Petri Pellinen reports.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

This is the oldest evidence of wine in Europe
19 April 2022 17:32
This is the oldest evidence of wine in Europe

The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki discovered evidence of prehistoric wine consumption in Philippi, northwest Greece.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Why Your Favorite Bottle of Wine Can Help You Choose Your Next Favorite Olive Oil
19 April 2022 17:37
Why Your Favorite Bottle of Wine Can Help You Choose Your Next Favorite Olive Oil

Daniel Daou of Daou Vineyards in Paso Robles has a theory about the role phenolics, or micronutrients only found in plants, play in consistently highly rated vintages of wine. “Look at a good year versus a bad year in Bordeaux,” Daou says. “Same winemaker, chateau, and vineyard, but the conditions climatically are different. A good vintage is going to be darker, more structured, more aromatic. These factors are directly related to the quality of the wine.” Grapes and olives, just like any other plant, respond to their environment. Varying levels of sun, heat, water, and soil composition directly affect the quality of a vineyard or olive grove. The saying “we are what we eat” rings just as true for plants as it does for humans — which means that your favorite wine and olive oil have a lot more in common than you might realize.

[vinepair.com]

John

Multi-Vintage Wines Are Becoming a Thing
22 April 2022 17:12
Multi-Vintage Wines Are Becoming a Thing

Once confined to sparkling wine, the use of multi-vintages is spreading

[www.pix.wine]

John

Mannoproteins extracts from wine lees: characterisation and impact on wine properties
22 April 2022 17:39
Mannoproteins extracts from wine lees: characterisation and impact on wine properties

Abstract

This study aims at exploiting an undervalued winemaking by-product, wine yeast lees, by developing efficient and food-grade methods for the extraction of yeast glycoproteins. These extracts were then supplemented to wine and their impact on wine properties assessed. White wine lees were produced by fermenting Sauvignon blanc grape juice with S. cerevisiae Uvaferm HPS strain. Three extraction methods were applied on lees using physical (autoclave and sonication) or enzymatic (Glucanex®, an industrial β-glucanases) approaches. Glycoproteins extracts were characterized by SEC-HPLC and SDS-PAGE. After their addition to wine (0.5 g/L), no alteration of wine clarity was detected.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Jancis Robinson Thinks We Need to Go Beyond Sustainability in Wine
26 April 2022 12:45
Jancis Robinson Thinks We Need to Go Beyond Sustainability in Wine

As one of the most influential and prolific wine writers of the 21st century, it’s impossible to truly quantify Jancis Robinson’s impact on the industry. From editing “The Oxford Companion to Wine” to co-authoring “The World Atlas of Wine,” Robinson’s name is on the cover of some of the most widely used wine resources around the world, Nearly 40 years into a rich career of educating drinkers, serving on the Royal Household Wine Committee by advising the Queen’s cellar, and hosting several BBC programs, Robinson shows no signs of slowing down.

We spoke with the United Kingdom-based Master of Wine and four-time James Beard Award winner about her passion for sustainability, a topic that’s top of mind for producers, importers, and industry professionals alike; her favorite canned wines; and where she thinks the industry is heading.

[vinepair.com]

John

From tractors to tanks, the price of winemaking equipment is skyrocketing
28 April 2022 13:04
From tractors to tanks, the price of winemaking equipment is skyrocketing

Unprecedented price increases for raw materials and energy are sending shock waves across the wine industry.

In a letter sent to the government on 12 April, France’s national federation for service companies and agricultural equipment distribution (SEDIMA) and the French association of industrial businesses in the agricultural equipment and agri-environment sector (Axema) anticipate a sharp decline in sales that will disrupt agricultural production.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Which countries drink the most wine? Ask Decanter
02 May 2022 19:19
Which countries drink the most wine? Ask Decanter

World wine consumption has recovered slightly after three years of decline, show new figures, but which country drinks the most?

[www.decanter.com]

John

TikTok for Wine Lovers: Made For Each Other, or Quite Incompatible?
10 May 2022 17:45
TikTok for Wine Lovers: Made For Each Other, or Quite Incompatible?

The rapidly-growing short video platform has broadened its audience from dance-crazy teenagers to adults interested in wine. But the relationship between TikTok and alcohol is not straightforward, as Alice Dawkins reveals.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Monoculture vs. polyculture: It’s all about “passion” in the vineyard, says Aleš Kristančič of Movia
12 May 2022 17:19
Monoculture vs. polyculture: It’s all about “passion” in the vineyard, says Aleš Kristančič of Movia

INTERVIEW ABOUT ONE OF THE HOTTEST TOPICS IN GRAPE FARMING AND WINEMAKING TODAY

[www.ethicawines.com]

John

The Best Vineyard Strategies to Implement After a Freeze
13 May 2022 14:31
The Best Vineyard Strategies to Implement After a Freeze

Recovery, Renewal and Replacement

[www.winebusiness.com]

John

Slow Food Heroes: a Borderless European Wine
13 May 2022 14:34
Slow Food Heroes: a Borderless European Wine

Respectively born in Rome, Avignon and Jurançon, Jerome, Françoise and Bruce Roger lived and worked in different countries and encountered the wine culture at a very young age. With Europe facing the COVID-19 crisis and other issues such as climate change and globalization, it is natural for them to think about how the European future would look like. They decided to start the project with the idea of supporting the wine producers buying their grape juices and at the same time unite Europe by telling the stories of vignerons from different European countries.

[www.slowfood.com]

John

Full Belly Files : Walking Through Wine History
17 May 2022 17:22
Full Belly Files : Walking Through Wine History

Trips to Santa Cruz Island and the Santa Maria Valley

[www.independent.com]

John

We Asked 9 Wine Pros: What’s the Most Underrated European Wine Region?
27 May 2022 16:48
We Asked 9 Wine Pros: What’s the Most Underrated European Wine Region?

From the valleys of Portugal to the countryside of France, Europe is home to many prominent wine regions. Most wine drinkers are familiar with Champagne, Tuscany, and Bordeaux, but the continent is vast and holds many other regions that have a history steeped in great winemaking. Unsurprisingly, discovering the hidden gems of European wine can be a daunting, albeit tasty, endeavor.

[vinepair.com]

John

Wine-Searcher Actively Entertaining Investor Offers Is No Surprise
31 May 2022 17:17
Wine-Searcher Actively Entertaining Investor Offers Is No Surprise

Online Wine Search is a critical and growing sector that pays dividends to both online retailers and consumers.

[tomwark.substack.com]

John

Wine's Fragility
31 May 2022 17:23
Wine's Fragility

Winemakers around the world have tools and strategies today that they never had decades ago that help to make wine a lot more stable than it ever was back then.

[www.creators.com]

John

Five Turning Points in the Evolution of Wine
01 June 2022 17:30
Five Turning Points in the Evolution of Wine

Anthropologists have helped uncork the fascinating history of winemaking—from drunken primates to Stone Age seed domestication to intoxicating religious rites.

[www.sapiens.org]

John

France vs Italy: Wine's Clash of the Titans
02 June 2022 17:28
France vs Italy: Wine's Clash of the Titans

What would happen if wine was judged by different criteria to the usual ones?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Andrew Jefford: ‘Can wine help us make sense of tragedy?’
02 June 2022 17:31
Andrew Jefford: ‘Can wine help us make sense of tragedy?’

Last month in this column, I celebrated the pleasures of Pinot. As I write this, it’s hard to celebrate anything.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen