How Ann Noble and the Wine Aroma Wheel Revolutionized the Industry
07 June 2022 16:57
How Ann Noble and the Wine Aroma Wheel Revolutionized the Industry

Without a shared language, love can be challenging to describe. Similarly, talking about wine can be complicated without a common language, especially when referring to aromas and flavors. As America’s wine culture developed in the 1970s, writers and winemakers created their own vocabulary. By the 1980s, enologists started discussing wine in sensory terms. And in 1984, with a desire to create a shared system, Ann Noble, PhD, an enology professor at University of California, Davis, organized wine descriptors into the first Wine Aroma Wheel.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Deep sea hunters are battling to save wine 'worth millions' from WW1 wreck
07 June 2022 17:03
Deep sea hunters are battling to save wine 'worth millions' from WW1 wreck

Treasure hunters who have discovered a haul of vintage wine at the bottom of the English Channel are fighting for permission to salvage it.

[www.msn.com]

John

MONKEY WINE
07 June 2022 17:05
MONKEY WINE

Much has been discovered recently about the early history of wine. As Christopher Howard writes in “Five Turning points in the Evolution of Wine”,

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

White Wine Emojency
10 June 2022 12:31
White Wine Emojency

It's become increasingly apparent that digital keyboards are missing a vital emoji, says New Zealand Winegrowers Global PR Manager Juliana Foster, who's leading a campaign to raise a glass of white wine on screens worldwide.

[www.ruralnewsgroup.co.nz]

John

Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: A ‘new’ recognition of ‘old’ vines
14 June 2022 17:07
Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: A ‘new’ recognition of ‘old’ vines

I am often asked about the importance of the “Old Vine” label designation and what significance it bears on a wine’s character. Although the term appears in the labeling of many different bottlings (especially Zinfandel), it has no legal designation in the U.S. or other wine producing countries.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

The Good Wine Writer
24 June 2022 11:53
The Good Wine Writer

Someone once told me that nothing in wine media gets page views like writing about wine writing. No one seems to be sure quite why this is the case. It might be because, in wine, everyone fancies themselves a writer. It might be because wine writers are an easy target. It might be, whisper it, because even when confined to a topic as limited and prosaic as wine, writing is an act that provokes much more interesting discussion than making beverages does.

[timatkin.com]

John

Raising the price of wines by 15 to 20 % would offset overhead increases
24 June 2022 12:09
Raising the price of wines by 15 to 20 % would offset overhead increases

For several months now, winegrowers have been faced with unprecedented increases in the cost of raw materials. According to a survey carried out by the Loir-et-Cher chamber of agriculture last April among winegrowers in the Centre-Loire Valley area and two distributors in Loir-et-Cher, the price of bottles has risen by 25 to 50%, boxes by 20 to 31%, labels by 20 to 34%, capsules by 11 to 20%, wooden posts by 5 to 15%, galvanised posts by 42 to 52%, and wires by 20 to 93%. In addition to this is the spiralling price of diesel and equipment, to name a few. On 1 May 2022, excluding marketing costs, this increases the production cost per litre of wine by 10% if a winegrower sells in bulk and by 13% if they sell in bottles. But if you include marketing costs and profit margins, which are crucial to businesses’ long term survival, the increase is an average 16%, based on average crop yields of 55 hl/ha. “With such a sharp increase in costs, there are two possible options: either I put my prices up by 3 to 5% and I dip into my profit margins; or I charge 15 to 20% more, but then I don’t know how my customers will react. What is your opinion?” Michel Badier, head of winegrowing at the Loir-et-Cher chamber of agriculture, asked winegrowers who took part in a dedicated webinar.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

WINE AND “MAKING SPECIAL”
27 June 2022 17:47
WINE AND “MAKING SPECIAL”

In recent years there have been several important books devoted to understanding art as a product of human evolution. The art historian Ellen Dissanayake is one of the more prominent thinkers pursuing this line. She argues extensively in her books, Homo Aestheticus:
Where Art Come From and Why and Art and Intimacy: How the Arts Began, that the defining feature of art is that it involves “marking something as special.” Unlike other animals, humans deliberately “artify, by shaping, embellishing and otherwise fashioning aspects of their world
with the intention of making them more than ordinary.” Literature, music, painting or dance involves taking objects or behaviors that are ordinary and making them extraordinary.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

The 7 Winery Guests from Hell
28 June 2022 17:27
The 7 Winery Guests from Hell

Of course, you don’t do these terrible things. But some people do

[pix.wine]

John

The World’s Oldest Grape-Bearing Vine has Seen Centuries of Empires and Invasions
28 June 2022 17:30
The World’s Oldest Grape-Bearing Vine has Seen Centuries of Empires and Invasions

In the northeastern corner of Slovenia, you’ll find the oldest grape-bearing vine in the world, which has grown for over 400 years on the side of a house in Maribor, some 15 miles from the Austrian border.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Is CellarTracker the Most Wholesome Place to Discuss Wine Online?
30 June 2022 17:27
Is CellarTracker the Most Wholesome Place to Discuss Wine Online?

A bicycling trip through Tuscany in 1999 inspired Eric LeVine to start CellarTracker, a wine tracking software and website that’s nearly two decades old. On the second night of the trip, he went to a tasting featuring four local wines: Chianti, Chianti Classico Riserva, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and Brunello di Montalcino.

[vinepair.com]

John

Fortified wine sector to grow following its ‘health benefits’ becoming popular
06 July 2022 16:43
Fortified wine sector to grow following its ‘health benefits’ becoming popular

The fortified wine category is expanding due to the growing demand for premium celebratory drinks with “benefits,” according to a new report.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Groupe Castel “co-operating” with French investigation into war crime allegations
06 July 2022 16:59
Groupe Castel “co-operating” with French investigation into war crime allegations

French anti-terrorism prosecutors have opened an investigation.

[www.just-drinks.com]

John

Chris D Craiker, Architecture and wine through the ages
12 July 2022 12:16
Chris D Craiker, Architecture and wine through the ages

In today’s world of high-tech wine making, storage and distribution, it’s fascinating to think about how architecture participated in the creation of wine through the years. Archaeology has always been a fascination to me and can give today’s winemakers some insight on the process historically.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

This easy hack will stop flies landing in your wine
25 July 2022 14:38
This easy hack will stop flies landing in your wine

This wine hack costs just 1p and will keep your drinks insect-free all summer long…

John

MECHANICAL HARVESTING – LOOKING BACK & LOOKING FORWARD
05 August 2022 12:11
MECHANICAL HARVESTING – LOOKING BACK & LOOKING FORWARD

MONDAY, AUGUST 1, 2022. BY STEPHANIE BOLTON, PhD.

At the Lodi Winegrape Commission, we have a deep respect for the efforts of growers, viticulturists, and vintners who paved the way for us to farm today. It is common for people to stop in and share newspaper articles, books, and bottles of wine from long ago. We love seeing photos of our smiling growers as children in the vineyard and we also find comfort in knowing that there were challenges in the past that we survived as a community, like Prohibition. A good reminder and a healthy perspective.

[www.lodigrowers.com]

John

Inside the World’s First Queer Wine Festival
06 August 2022 11:24
Inside the World’s First Queer Wine Festival

“It would be really difficult to not have a bunch of wine people on a queer-owned farm have a bad time.”

[www.insidehook.com]

John

Dan Berger On Wine: You brett your life
09 August 2022 17:28
Dan Berger On Wine: You brett your life

Xemplary wines ideally should smell like grapes, or flowers, fruits and other pleasurable scents including fresh or dried herbs, lilac, lavender, berries, lemons, apples and pears.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

Vin Blanc
18 August 2022 12:43
Vin Blanc

Recently I reread Jim Harrison’s last book called “A Really Big Lunch.” If not familiar, Harrison was a prolific writer of poetry and prose, with works including the much-lauded trio of novellas called Legends of the Fall. He was also a raging gourmand with enormous appetites not unlike the fabled Gargantuan of Rabelaisian fame. I don’t make that statement lightly. Harrison was obsessed with good food and wine. He made no bones about drinking two bottles of Bandol rouge a day. Mind you he never bothered with conventional wine glasses instead opting for a huge tumbler and 12-ounce pours that he “gulped.”

[www.timgaiser.com]

John

Napoleon Still Waging War on Wine
18 August 2022 13:01
Napoleon Still Waging War on Wine

Tax codes from two centuries ago are still causing French producers to negotiate an economic obstacle course.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

A Dachshund’s Ear
20 August 2022 10:23
A Dachshund’s Ear

My school coat was made of Harris Tweed. This is not relevant to anything, except that the other day I came across a wine with Harris Tweed tannins. They were good – brisk, slightly scratchy, but refreshing. Are we moving away from the idea that all tannins must be silky or velvety? If so, bring it on. There are more fabrics in the world than that, and more textures, too.

[timatkin.com]

John

Can a Revamped DOC Help Winemakers Find Success?
20 August 2022 10:31
Can a Revamped DOC Help Winemakers Find Success?

It's a tricky marketing strategy, but the members of Northern Italy's Garda DOC are optimistic.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

Saving the Seas with Sauvignon Blanc
23 August 2022 12:24
Saving the Seas with Sauvignon Blanc

A novel means to protect sea life and underwater ecosystems is as easy as pouring a glass and clicking "like".

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Exploring Stalin's Wine Cellar
23 August 2022 12:27
Exploring Stalin's Wine Cellar

A fascinating book sheds some light on one of history's most infamous men and his relationship with wine.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Cellar history
31 August 2022 16:55
Cellar history

It was 1973. I had recently accepted a position as an accountant for a wine company and had joined a wine club. I knew my merlot from my müller-thurgau. It was time to start a wine cellar.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Woman nearly died from wasp sting on tongue after it flew into her wine
05 September 2022 17:34
Woman nearly died from wasp sting on tongue after it flew into her wine

A woman nearly died after suffering a severe allergic reaction when she drunk a glass of wine that contained a wasp.

[ca.news.yahoo.com]

John

Five countries reporting an early harvest in 2022
07 September 2022 13:08
Five countries reporting an early harvest in 2022

A summer of heatwaves across Europe has resulted in early ripening, and despite many regions reporting lower yields brought about by the extreme heat, there is a positive buzz about the vintage this year. We bring you a list of the regions reporting an early harvest in 2022.

John

Wax seals on wine are messy ego trips. It’s time to say goodbye.
13 September 2022 11:38
Wax seals on wine are messy ego trips. It’s time to say goodbye.

As a wine lover who has dedicated a big piece of my liver encouraging people to try different wines of various styles, classics and future classics, from regions far-flung and nearby, I am usually willing and eager to open any bottle and give it a try. But there are some I dread opening. And no, I don’t mean pet-nats. The bottles I recoil from are sealed in wax.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

Bring Back the Widow’s Kiss
15 September 2022 08:27
Bring Back the Widow’s Kiss

The “Widow’s Kiss” is the Platonic idea of cocktail names. It has an air of danger and mystery and it promises to seduce the drinker with its charms. So beguiling is the title that it was used by multiple pre-Prohibition greats, Harry Johnson, Jack Grohusko and William Schmidt among them. But it’s George Kappeler’s 1895 version—a mixture of apple brandy, yellow Chartreuse, Bénédictine and Angostura bitters—that has endured, likely because, with some tweaking, it still appeals to the modern drinker.

[punchdrink.com]

John

Sarah Heller MW on Chardonnay and consistent greatness
27 September 2022 13:26
Sarah Heller MW on Chardonnay and consistent greatness

The current thinking is that to belong to the upper echelons of grape royalty, a variety must be site- and vintage-expressive but unmistakably itself. So what about Chardonnay, asks Sarah Heller MW

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen