Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Italië, Griekenland

Gepost door JohnCopier 
“A wine favored by the worst kind of thieves.” On the origins of the ampelonym Garganega.
29 October 2020 18:06
“A wine favored by the worst kind of thieves.” On the origins of the ampelonym Garganega.

Last Wednesday, a guest at a private virtual tasting pressed me about the origins of the grape name Garganega (we were tasting a famous Soave producer together via Zoom). It wasn’t the time or place to go into extreme detail (the occasion was a birthday party and the setting was the host’s dining room). But I wanted to follow up here on the blog this week because even though the ampelonym’s etymology is still unknown, it leads us down a philologic trail that is as compelling as it is revealing.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
A Single Vision of Friuli Untaps Native Grapes
03 November 2020 18:15
A Single Vision of Friuli Untaps Native Grapes

In northeast Italy, a family winery keeps a local focus

[www.forbes.com]

John

You Could Buy Your Own Prosecco Vineyard in Italy
03 November 2020 18:37
You Could Buy Your Own Prosecco Vineyard in Italy

This $13.6 million estate comes with plenty of perks and even more wine.

[www.travelandleisure.com]

John

Mythmaking in Southern Italy: A Tour of Campania, Part 1
04 November 2020 18:24
Mythmaking in Southern Italy: A Tour of Campania, Part 1

Montevetrano’s unlikely success began decades ago in Rome on an evening full of great wines

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Pompeii is famous for its ruins and bodies, but what about its wine?
08 November 2020 11:55
Pompeii is famous for its ruins and bodies, but what about its wine?

Pompeii is famed for plaster-cast bodies, ruins, frescoes and the rare snapshot it provides of a rather typical ancient Roman city. But less famous is its evidence of viticulture.

[theconversation.com]

John

Time to Ruchè
25 November 2020 17:58
Time to Ruchè

A comeback for one of Piedmont's oddest grapes

[www.winespectator.com]

John

JOHANNES TIEFENBRUNNER AND THE HIGH-ALTITUDE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE
30 November 2020 18:18
JOHANNES TIEFENBRUNNER AND THE HIGH-ALTITUDE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE

At the northern edge of Italy, where the craggy Dolomites start shading into the snow-capped Alps, lies the wine-rich region of Alto Adige—at least, depending on who you ask. To the large, German-speaking swath of the local population, the region is known as Südtirol. The differing names reflect the unique blend of Mediterranean and Alpine influences that characterize Alto Adige’s culture and, especially, its wine—most bottles from the area are labeled, diplomatically or just indecisively, in both Italian and German.

[grapecollective.com]

John

Piedmont gets new DOCG area ‘Terre Alfieri’
07 December 2020 18:11
Piedmont gets new DOCG area ‘Terre Alfieri’

The new DOCG zone near to Asti has been officially approved after a 10-year campaign, local wine officials have announced.

[www.decanter.com]

John

IDEALWINE UPDATE: ONE-WAY CRICHËT
14 December 2020 13:47
IDEALWINE UPDATE: ONE-WAY CRICHËT

The undulating hills of the Langhe in north-eastern Italy are home to the country’s answer to Burgundy: the notoriously pernickety Nebbiolo grape, which, when grown in the right conditions and vinified with respect, produces hauntingly fragrant Barolo and Barbaresco with the kind of finesse most commonly associated with the Côte de Nuit

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Homegrown Startup ruikt zoet succes ... Zonder de suiker
07 January 2021 18:26
Homegrown Startup ruikt zoet succes ... Zonder de suiker

Restaurantondernemer lanceert Prosecco Zero, een nieuwe lijn van suikerarme prosecco- en roséwijnen

[www.prnewswire.com]

John

DOC MAREMMA TO INTRODUCE ‘BIVARIETAL’ LABELLING
12 January 2021 14:17
DOC MAREMMA TO INTRODUCE ‘BIVARIETAL’ LABELLING

The Tuscan region of Maremma has been given the green light to list two varieties on labels in addition to other modifications to the DOC’s production specifications.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

After 2,000 Years, Pompeii Wine Bar to ‘Reopen’ this Spring
12 January 2021 18:32
After 2,000 Years, Pompeii Wine Bar to ‘Reopen’ this Spring

Archaeologists have unearthed a wine and snack bar in the ash-buried Roman city of Pompeii

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Shop different: the “underdogs” red varieties of Southern Italy
21 January 2021 18:03
Shop different: the “underdogs” red varieties of Southern Italy

Are you all about reds? Do you feel adventurous? Here is a list of red grape varieties from Southern Italy to look out for when the devil of online wine shopping comes to possess you again. I promise you can have fun, learn and taste something new without breaking the bank. I won’t suggest a specific label because these varieties are hard to find and availability can change across the U.S., not to mention the world, but try to search for these varieties on www.wine-searcher.com and you will find some good deals to treat your thirsty tasting buds. Ready?

[theitalianwinegirl.com]

John

Ancient Grape Revived in Tuscany
25 January 2021 18:42
Ancient Grape Revived in Tuscany

If it's an exclusive grape variety you want, W. Blake Gray has just the thing for you.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Big in Bolgheri: A Live Chat with Ornellaia's Axel Heinz
27 January 2021 13:44
Big in Bolgheri: A Live Chat with Ornellaia's Axel Heinz

The star winemaker opens up about his philosophy toward making wine on Tuscany's coast, the magic behind Masseto and pandemic challenges in the U.S. market

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Friuli Venezia Giulia – In Constant Motion
27 January 2021 18:12
Friuli Venezia Giulia – In Constant Motion

It’s difficult to imagine the real dynamic of Friuli Venezia Giulia, its terroir and its people without looking at a map. The region, a melting pot of Austrian, Slovenian and Italian heritage, is also a blending of climatic influences and topography that creates a number of unique wine-producing areas, as well as a large selection of grape varieties that excel within each of them. When you combine this with winemaking styles that have evolved over the course of decades and remain ever-changing, add a wide range of producers who have chosen to follow different paths, teachings and techniques from ancient to modern, what you get is one of the most diverse regions of Italy. And, consequently, a bit of confusion over what to expect when buying a bottle of wine, but we’ll talk about that later.

[www.vinous.com]

John

The Pope’s vino: Vatican will produce estate-grown wine. Vineyards to be planted this spring.
10 February 2021 18:17
The Pope’s vino: Vatican will produce estate-grown wine. Vineyards to be planted this spring.

According to a post published Friday by the Italian wine industry news portal WineNews.it, the Vatican will plant two hectares to vine this spring on its Castel Gandolfo estate outside Rome, the Pope’s official summer residence.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Italy's crop size bigger than expected
19 February 2021 18:32
Italy's crop size bigger than expected

The Ministry of Agriculture has published the final numbers.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Mt. Etna Eruption Lights Up Sicilian Wine Country
19 February 2021 18:46
Mt. Etna Eruption Lights Up Sicilian Wine Country

Southern Italy’s famed active volcano spews ash, lava and good luck for Etna vintners

[www.winespectator.com]

John

What’s new in Prosecco?
22 February 2021 18:05
What’s new in Prosecco?

Changes are afoot across the whole of the Prosecco region in the north. Alessandra Piubello summarises shifts in styles and standards

[www.decanter.com]

John

How Etna counters preconceived notions about fine wine.
01 March 2021 14:01
How Etna counters preconceived notions about fine wine.

“Last week’s eruptions were really spectacular,” said Etna grape grower Roberto Muccifuori yesterday. “But what people don’t realize that they were just a handful of the many eruptions that happen each year.”

[dobianchi.com]

John

In Valpolicella, Red Is Leaning Green
02 March 2021 10:26
In Valpolicella, Red Is Leaning Green

SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVES ARE ON THE RISE IN THE ITALIAN REGION

[www.sommjournal.com]

John

Paitin: standing the test of time in Barbaresco
10 March 2021 14:27
Paitin: standing the test of time in Barbaresco

In 1796, Benedetto Elia purchased a small plot of vines in the Bricco di Neive. A few years later, after purchasing a number of contiguous parcels, he bought a nearby underground cellar. The Elia’s were private bankers owning a small bank on the border between Neive and Castagnole facilitating transactions between the two provinces.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

A Wine Renaissance in Calabria
10 March 2021 14:48
A Wine Renaissance in Calabria

A focus on indigenous grapes, terroir-driven winemaking, and a burgeoning natural wine movement are pushing this overlooked Italian region into the spotlight

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

Antinori acquires majority stake in Friuli Venezia Giulia's Cantina Jermann
10 March 2021 18:28
Antinori acquires majority stake in Friuli Venezia Giulia's Cantina Jermann

Leading Italian wine family Antinori has acquired a majority stake in iconic Italian winery, Cantina Jermann.

[www.jacopomazzeo.com]

John

Barolo in the 21st century: transcending the modern vs. traditional binary
12 March 2021 10:11
Barolo in the 21st century: transcending the modern vs. traditional binary

A radical change to an established order defines the typical revolution. Born out of shared hunger, revolutions emerge when a disillusioned collective believes their institutions have failed or are failing them. Reactionary by nature, they present as theoretically opposed to said established order. True to their stated aim or not, revolutions claim to seek common gain. Their instigators, characterised by passion and pride, seek new heights for their culture. Until the late 1900s, for the most part, awareness of Barolo’s wines stretched scarcely more than a dozen miles from La Morra. The wines were often demanding, giving scant pleasure for several decades. Many growers sold their crop to middlemen, frequently struggling to make a living from winemaking. Following a chance encounter with Philippe Engel in Burgundy, a distinct disparity in notoriety and income outraged Elio Altare, who had been sleeping in his car. And so, began the Barolo Boy’s revolution. Motivated by a desire to place Nebbiolo among the world’s greatest wines, they expanded the region’s bandwidth and brought with them new ideas, practises and attitudes. Almost 40 years on, the aims and motivations of this revolution remain misunderstood by commentators and drinkers alike.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Timorasso, The Extraordinary Piedmont Wine That Almost Disappeared, But Didn’t
15 March 2021 18:12
Timorasso, The Extraordinary Piedmont Wine That Almost Disappeared, But Didn’t

Italy is one of the countries often heard boasting its number of grape varieties. More than one country claims that “we have the largest number of grape varieties”. But it is true that wherever you go in Italy, you tend to run into one or another grape variety that you have never heard of and that is (almost) only grown there.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Applications for Italian vineyard planting rights oversubscribed by ten times
15 March 2021 18:28
Applications for Italian vineyard planting rights oversubscribed by ten times

Italian wine producers applied for ten times the volume of planting rights available last year, asking for 64,036 hectares when only 6,722 hectares was on offer.

[app.vinex.market]

John

Tedeschi wines: technique versus terroir in Valpolicella
22 March 2021 18:07
Tedeschi wines: technique versus terroir in Valpolicella

The Tedeschi family has been making wine in the Valpolicella Classica wine region since the Seventeenth Century. Lorenzo Tedeschi devoted his life to building the family business, focusing on research and innovation as well as the expansion of the premium vineyard sites – most significantly in 1964 when he started producing single vineyard Amarone from the famed Monte Olmi vineyard. Sophia Longhi caught up with Lorenzo’s granddaughter Sabrina to discover more about the family’s work with terroir and how it informs the four types of Amarone and five Valpolicellas that they produce, as well as taste through a range of the wines.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

SUMMITING MOUNT ETNA - THE REVITALIZATION OF A VOLCANO'S ANCIENT VITICULTURE
22 March 2021 18:14
SUMMITING MOUNT ETNA - THE REVITALIZATION OF A VOLCANO'S ANCIENT VITICULTURE

Sicily’s Mount Etna is often described as “an island on an island.” Standing at over 3,000 meters above sea level, it is one of the largest active volcanoes in Europe. As distinctive as Sicily can be from continental Italy - in culture, climate, and even dialect - Etna and those who till her slopes distinguish themselves even further with their unique and daring viticulture.

[grapecollective.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen