Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Italië, Griekenland

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Where the Wild Things Are: Welcome to Sardinia
24 March 2021 18:23
Where the Wild Things Are: Welcome to Sardinia

Sardinia can almost seem like a country, or even a continent unto itself. The island covers 9,300 square miles; and with a 125-mile separation from the mainland, when touring its diverse terrain, listening to its own dialect and taking in the regional flavors, it would be easy to forget that you are indeed in Italy.

[www.vinous.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
‘It’s time we judged Italian wine on its own terms’
26 March 2021 18:16
‘It’s time we judged Italian wine on its own terms’

Sarah Heller MW argues that Italian wine is done a disservice when its appreciation is based on Bordeaux or Burgundian reference points

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Chianti Classico's French Influence
31 March 2021 17:00
Chianti Classico's French Influence

Has Chianti Classico finally outgrown Cabernet and company?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Old Cheese Man Wine
06 April 2021 17:28
Old Cheese Man Wine

Lately, during this extraordinary era, I’ve been digging into ye olde wine cellar and pulling out crusty specimens that have arrived to an old age. It was a dream of youth, to have access to older, aged, mature wines. We’d read about it in Michael Broadbent’s book. A wine that needs 20-30 years to arrive at its peak. And now, I have scores of those bottles. And to magnify the situation, an even older friend of mine bequeathed me even more ancient bottles. A dream come true, ce n'est pas?

[acevola.blogspot.com]

John

NEBBIOLO IN THE ALPS: A NEW GENERATION HELPS CHART VALTELLINA'S RENAISSANCE
12 April 2021 17:26
NEBBIOLO IN THE ALPS: A NEW GENERATION HELPS CHART VALTELLINA'S RENAISSANCE

Sometimes the pull of things is so strong that it cannot be resisted, like the moon’s influence on tides. From what Cristina Scarpellini says, when she first set foot on a one-hectare vineyard on the vertiginous Alpine slopes of the Valtellina Valley in Italy’s Lombardy region next to Switzerland, she knew she was meant to be there. At the time, she was a lawyer in a prosperous firm in Milan that drew up contracts for projects like airports, road networks, and, serendipitously, a project involving wineries.

[grapecollective.com]

John

Piedmont Wine Region, Home Of Italian Royalty And More
15 April 2021 17:12
Piedmont Wine Region, Home Of Italian Royalty And More

Nestled in northwest Italy, between the foothills of the western Alps and Apennines, lies the country’s second largest region: Piedmont, or Piemonte, in Italian. Home to the House of Savoy, Italy’s ruling dynasty until 1946, it’s no surprise this area birthed the king of Italian wines.

[www.forbes.com]

John

The White and Pink Side of Piedmont Wine
15 April 2021 17:06
The White and Pink Side of Piedmont Wine

For anyone who has traveled to the tiny wine villages of Piedmont, Italy, with vine covered hills flanked by the snow-covered Italian Alps in the distance, the memory is usually pleasurable. Thoughts of tannic red Barolo and Barbaresco wines paired with black truffle pasta often come to mind, along with sparkling Moscato di Asti with pear gallete for dessert.

[lizthachmw.com]

John

How are artisanal wine corks made? Inside a cork factory in Sardinia
21 April 2021 17:23
How are artisanal wine corks made? Inside a cork factory in Sardinia

What is the first thing you do when you want to drink a glass of wine? Of course opening the bottle. Have you ever wondered what is behind the cork that closes it? An entire world. First of all, the age-old diatribe between those who consider alternative closures to cork and those who instead remain faithful to tradition and the romantic cork closure.

[theitalianwinegirl.com]

John

Vermentino becomes most bottled grape in Maremma
30 April 2021 17:14
Vermentino becomes most bottled grape in Maremma

Having long been tipped as an Italian grape to watch, last year Vermentino became the most-bottled grape variety in DOC Maremma Toscana.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Barolo Rolls Out an Uneven Vintage
03 May 2021 17:26
Barolo Rolls Out an Uneven Vintage

Heat was the big issue for the 2017 vintage in Barolo – and that is reflected in the wines.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Cabernet Franc ‘supplanting Cabernet Sauvignon’ in Tuscany
05 May 2021 17:17
Cabernet Franc ‘supplanting Cabernet Sauvignon’ in Tuscany

Rising temperatures and hotter vintages are encouraging winegrowers in Tuscany to plant more Cabernet Franc in favour of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, according to Tenuta di Trinoro owner, Andrea Franchetti.

John

It’s time to change a racially insensitive Italian grape name.
06 May 2021 17:24
It’s time to change a racially insensitive Italian grape name.

The more closely you look at a word, wrote the early 20th-century aphorist Karl Kraus, the more distantly it looks back at you.

This nugget of wisdom couldn’t be more true when it comes to the name of one of Puglia’s most important grape varieties, Negroamaro.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Why Super-Tuscans have fallen from fashion
06 May 2021 17:32
Why Super-Tuscans have fallen from fashion

In the 1980s, the wine world was in thrall to the Super-Tuscans. These pioneering Bordeaux blends took the market by storm, quickly commanding stratospheric prices. But while once hailed as a driving force behind the modernisation of Italian winemaking, today the Super-Tuscans are suffering an identity crisis.

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Higher yields helping to tame high alcohol in Brunello
11 May 2021 17:31
Higher yields helping to tame high alcohol in Brunello

A leading producer of Brunello di Montalcino has spoken out in favour of encouraging higher yields in the Italian region, as a response to rising alcohol levels due to global warming.

John

Langhe Riesling: discussing origin, viticulture, winemaking and more
25 May 2021 17:05
Langhe Riesling: discussing origin, viticulture, winemaking and more

The noblest of white grape varieties, few wines captivate so broadly as Riesling. Seizing the collective adoration of wine lovers the world over, Rieslings unrivalled versatility makes it allure difficult to deny. The 5th most planted white grape variety, ca. 55,000 hectares are cultivated globally, of these plantings 45% and 6% can be found in Germany and France (Alsace) respectively...

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Late Modern history of Colli Tortonesi's (Piemonte, Italy) Timorasso variety
31 May 2021 17:27
Late Modern history of Colli Tortonesi's (Piemonte, Italy) Timorasso variety

While the Early Modern history of the Timorasso variety was characterized by decline, despair, invisibility, and replacement, its Late Modern history saw a turnaround in fortunes, much of which, according to widely held views, was attributable to the efforts of Walter Massa. In this post I take a deeper look into the experiences of the variety in the period just before, during, and after, the last decade of the 20th century.

[mowse.blogspot.com]

John

Bolgheri Superiore ’18/’17/’16: il dominio di Sassicaia e Ornellaia cerca il terzo triumviro
01 June 2021 17:15
Bolgheri Superiore ’18/’17/’16: il dominio di Sassicaia e Ornellaia cerca il terzo triumviro

La grandeur bolgherese risiede tutta in questa tipologia e nella sua capacità di far fruttare al massimo un brand ora collettivo ma creato da due attori principali e imprescindibili come Sassicaia e Ornellaia. Due interpreti leader di mercato, di profittabilità e prestigio non a caso entrambi presenti alla cieca nel tasting, evento più unico che raro nel panorama degli assaggi presso i consorzi. Non so a voi ma non mi è mai capitato a Grandi Langhe di trovare Monfortino o a Benvenuto Brunello un vino di Biondi Santi negli assaggi…

Om dit te begrijpen hoef je geen Italiaans te spreken en te schrijven.

[www.intravino.com]

John

New-Generation Chianti Classico, Part 2: Monteraponi
02 June 2021 17:30
New-Generation Chianti Classico, Part 2: Monteraponi

From bad boy to meticulous vintner in two decades, Michele Braganti fulfilled his father's dream for a family wine estate

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Asylum-seekers help produce Italy’s famous Brunello wine
03 June 2021 17:02
Asylum-seekers help produce Italy’s famous Brunello wine

CASALE DEL BOSCO, ITALY
Summer is arriving in Italy's wine country in Tuscany, and the leaves on the vines shimmer in gold and green.

Yahya Adams moves his gloves through the foliage, removing excess buds and shoots to make the vines stronger.

He's among 24 asylum-seekers from Africa and Asia who are working in vineyards of Tenute Silvio Nardi on this year's crop of Brunello di Montalcino, one of Italy's most famous wines.

[www.fresnobee.com]

John

Librandi: A flickering light in a dark past of Calabrian wine, with hopes of keeping on the lights
04 June 2021 17:24
Librandi: A flickering light in a dark past of Calabrian wine, with hopes of keeping on the lights

Even though Calabria is one of the oldest wine regions in the world, it has had an obscured past unbeknown to much of the world. Over the past few decades, Librandi has been one of the few flickering lights that has illuminated Calabrian wine from the dark past. Back in 1953, Librandi was among the first wineries to bottle their wine for larger markets. Librandi became known to international markets in 1987 when they released Gravello, a Cabernet Sauvignon-Gaglioppo blend.

[grapecollective.com]?

John

10 Wines that Forever Changed the How the World Sees Italian Wine
07 June 2021 17:04
10 Wines that Forever Changed the How the World Sees Italian Wine

Italy was once a forlorn country, vinously speaking. The wines were made haphazardly. The flavors were sometimes off, especially the white wines. They didn’t “travel” well to foreign countries. And the producers and the importers thought, in order to get a foothold in the market, that the wines had to be cheap. So they were. And, in the immortal words of Rodney Dangerfield, they “didn’t get no respect.”

[acevola.blogspot.com]

John

Out of the Shadows: Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
23 June 2021 17:09
Out of the Shadows: Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

One of the last in-person wine events we attended before the coronavirus pandemic put most such activities on hold was a symposium on the wines of Italy, which I wrote about on The Wine Economist. One particularly memorable session was sponsored by the Vino Nobile de Montepulciano consorzio, which was hoping to draw attention to the region and its wines.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

The Power in a Glass of Volcanic Wine
05 July 2021 17:04
The Power in a Glass of Volcanic Wine

Why wines from volcanic regions come packed with drama

[www.pix.wine]

John

Ask a Viticulturist: Which rootstock should I use for Tempranillo?
05 July 2021 17:06
Ask a Viticulturist: Which rootstock should I use for Tempranillo?

“As a part of personal research and experiment, would anyone know on which rootstocks Tempranillo is usually grafted in Spain and US-California Regions where it has performed well…including the most suitable trellis system for this variety? Any help or a pointing in the right directing shall be much appreciated…”

[advancedvit.com]

John

Could Italy’s Alto Piemonte region be the new Barolo?
06 July 2021 17:12
Could Italy’s Alto Piemonte region be the new Barolo?

Italy’s Alto Piemonte region is starting to produce Nebbiolo wines to rival the top crus of the Langhe hills, says a leading Barolo producer.

John

Changes Afoot in Chianti Classico
01 July 2021 10:30
Changes Afoot in Chianti Classico

Wineries in one of Tuscany's top wine regions will now include specific areas on the labels of their top wines and will no longer use non-Italian grape varieties in those wines

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Re: Changes Afoot in Chianti Classico
06 July 2021 17:20
Changing the Rules for Chianti Classico

Another new classification for the Tuscan favorite aims to define regionality, but what difference will it make?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

In Praise Of Assyrtiko
07 July 2021 17:14
In Praise Of Assyrtiko

Growing up in Greece means you get used to following two parallel tracks, the national and the international. There is the local music scene, and the global music scene; the local cinema circuit, and the global; the Greek Super League, and the Champions’ League. Then, maybe once a decade, Euclid cedes to Poncelet, and the parallels intersect. Kavakos conducts the London Symphony Orchestra. Lanthimos becomes a regular at the Oscars. Warzycha puts the ball in the back of Van der Sar’s net.

[timatkin.com]

John

Brunello Di Montalcino From Col D’Orcia: Elegant Wines And Important Research On Climate Change
14 July 2021 17:17
Brunello Di Montalcino From Col D’Orcia: Elegant Wines And Important Research On Climate Change

Brunello di Montalcino in Tuscany is one of the great wines of Italy. It is known for its elegance, its smoothness paired with intense aromas of red fruit and ripe cherries. It is well-structured despite having a sort of lightness to it. One of our favourites in Montalcino is Col d’Orcia. Apart from making superb wines, the owner, count Francesco Marone Cinzano, is passionate about biodiversity and fighting climate change.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Chianti and Brunello reduce yields
26 July 2021 17:20
Chianti and Brunello reduce yields

Prices to remain in balance.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen