Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Italië, Griekenland

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Alternative no more: Why winemakers love this Italian white grape
02 February 2022 18:30
Alternative no more: Why winemakers love this Italian white grape

It loves our warm summers as much as we do. It can lend its hand to just about every wine style imaginable. It grows just about anywhere. No wonder Fiano has become the new variety of choice.

[indaily.com.au]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
DOC delle Venezie makes up 77% of Triveneto Pinot Grigio bottled in 2021
02 February 2022 18:40
DOC delle Venezie makes up 77% of Triveneto Pinot Grigio bottled in 2021

Triveneto Pinot Grigio recorded 6% growth in 2021 over the previous calendar year, for a total bottled Pinot Grigio Denomination of almost 2.4 million hectolitres (hl), despite the challenges to the sector brought about by the pandemic.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Greece: Assyrtiko, the rising star
04 February 2022 18:25
Greece: Assyrtiko, the rising star

Some grape varieties that are representative of an entire wine country. Shiraz and Australia, Sauvignon Blanc and New Zealand, of course, Riesling and Germany. As a contender for the title of Greece's best-known grape variety, one variety in particular has become the talk of the town in recent years: Assyrtiko. Alexandra Wrann reports.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Mastroberardino: The foremost producer of premium wines in Campania
09 February 2022 18:18
Mastroberardino: The foremost producer of premium wines in Campania

Mastroberardino, the largest producer of premium wines in Campania, as well as being one of Italy's most highly regarded producers, has roots in Irpinia Province that reach back into the 18th century. It was in 1758 that Pietro di Berardino founded his winery in the town of Artipaldi, the farm eventually being officially registered by Cavalier Angelo in 1875. Post the formation of the initial entity, Pietro was referred to as "Maestro" and that, in combination with the historical family name, is the nomenclature by which the family has been known thenceforth.

[mowse.blogspot.com]

John

1 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 09/02/2022 18:19 door JohnCopier.
“The Worst Year in Italian Wine History”
09 February 2022 18:39
“The Worst Year in Italian Wine History”

There was this wonderful period, in the mid-to-late 1980’s, when Italy was having a food and wine renaissance. Magazines in America touted it. French supremacy in the dining room, and in the wine cellar, was being challenged by their Italian cousins. The momentum was unheralded. Italian food and wine were climbing new mountains, and once they got to the top, they were singing arias that hadn’t been heard, ever. It was a magical, glorious time to be in the wine trade, and especially the Italian wine trade.

[acevola.blogspot.com]

John

Walter Speller on what to expect at the Nebbiolo Day 2022 tasting
10 February 2022 17:55
Walter Speller on what to expect at the Nebbiolo Day 2022 tasting

Walter Speller has a very simple, and effective, answer when The Buyer asks him why he is about to embark on what will be the third edition of the Nebbiolo Day tasting in March. Here’s his response: “In one word: because it is great. Nebbiolo is capable of making some of the finest and longest-lived wines in the world. It has not always been understood as such, but ‘the shock of the new’ is now well behind us and Nebbiolo’s tannins are no longer traumatising the UK.” Far from it and there will a big rush to sign up to this year’s event on March 3. Here Speller explains more of his love for Nebbiolo and what to expect next month at the London tasting.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Will the momentum of the Super-Tuscans continue?
16 February 2022 18:40
Will the momentum of the Super-Tuscans continue?

At times in 2021, it looked like the growth of the Super-Tuscans had stalled, and the impressive growth across recent years was levelling off. However, Bordeaux Index argues that this slow-down looks to have only been temporary and momentum in Q4 of 2021 suggests there could be plenty more to come from these super charged fine wines.

John

Langhe Chardonnay: origin, viticulture, winemaking, and more
28 February 2022 11:33
Langhe Chardonnay: origin, viticulture, winemaking, and more

Dramatic change characterised the late twentieth century in Piedmont. By 1980, Altare et al. had thrown tradition to the wind in Barolo, so too had Angelo Gaja in neighbouring Barbaresco. Angelo, a recalcitrant, bodacious young man, began working at the family winery in 1961, aged 21. Following several trips to France, Angelo set about revolutionising production; his success—the New York Times called his 1985 Barbaresco’s “the finest wines ever made in Italy”—proved to be the tide that lifted all ships. In 1979, between Christmas and New Year in Treiso, Angelo trod new ground, planting Langhe’s first Chardonnay vines, first producing Gaia & Rey in 1983. Others followed shortly after, including Aldo Conterno and Pio Cesare in ‘85, Ca’ del Baio in ’89, La Spinetta in 93, Marchesi di Gresy and many more. Previously, Chardonnay was regularly confused with Pinot blanc in Italy; both varieties were commonly interspersed in the same vineyard and blended. Angelo Gaja defied convention in Piedmont, producing critically acclaimed barrel-aged and fermented varietal Chardonnay in a nation known solely for quality red wine. Codified in 1994, the Langhe DOC included Chardonnay among common indigenous white varieties, followed by further plantings and increasing interest and effort. Today, production is modest; nevertheless, many growers craft enviable wines deserving global recognition. This article examines Langhe Chardonnay in more detail, charting origin, site selection, viticulture, and winemaking.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Trentino steps into the limelight as key Italian wine region
28 February 2022 11:37
Trentino steps into the limelight as key Italian wine region

Trentino has been one of Italy’s forgotten wine regions… until very recently. Once seen as the lesser part of Trentino-Alto Adige, Trentino is today more confident, and stylistically more defined. With sparkling Trentodoc as an international calling card, and impressive terroir-specific projects from two dynamic cooperatives Cavit and Cantina Toblino, the future of the region has never looked brighter, argues Justin Keay who talks to key movers and shakers in the region as well as tastes a range of wines.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Italy says arrivederci to biodynamic bill
02 March 2022 18:21
Italy says arrivederci to biodynamic bill

Outraged Italian scientists have blocked a bill that would have given biodynamics methods legal recognition.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Sicilia DOC invests in the future through sustainability measures and promotional campaigns
02 March 2022 18:24
Sicilia DOC invests in the future through sustainability measures and promotional campaigns

Sicilia DOC, or Denominazione di Origine Controllata Sicilia, was officially recognised on 22 November 2011 by a Decree of the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry, which also approved the relevant production rules.

John

Vino Chianti DOCG’s plans for upper tier and new sub-zone
02 March 2022 18:35
Vino Chianti DOCG’s plans for upper tier and new sub-zone

Chianti DOCG’s plans to add a new gran selezione tier of wines as well as new sub-zone to the appellation is not likely to happen for another year, the consorzio has confirmed.

John

Ceretto: the evolution of Barolo & Barbaresco
03 March 2022 14:50
Ceretto: the evolution of Barolo & Barbaresco

Barolo and Barbaresco are established stars in the fine wine firmament, with a profile – and prices – more elevated than at any time in their considerable history. It is sometimes easy to forget that this transformation in their fortunes is a relatively recent phenomenon – but not with Ceretto co-owner Federico Ceretto around. Richard Woodard investigates…

John

The Greco cultivar and Greco di Tufo wine
08 March 2022 18:12
The Greco cultivar and Greco di Tufo wine

Irpinia, the ancient name of Campania's Avellino Province, is home to three of the four regional DOCG production zones: Taurasi (red), Fiano di Avellino, and Greco di Tufo (the latter two both white wines). I treat the Greco variety, and its wines, in this post.

[mowse.blogspot.com]#

John

Native Italian Wine Grapes Succeeding Under Women's Guidance In Sicily
08 March 2022 18:34
Native Italian Wine Grapes Succeeding Under Women's Guidance In Sicily

Strapped in tightly into the cramped cockpit, Barbara felt a jolt of exhilaration as the jet started to climb over 6,000 feet per minute and since this Aermacchi MB-339 jet was only going up to around 3,000 feet it took only half a minute to level off. Every bit of turbulence was felt due to the lack of cushioning on Barbara's seat but this lack of cushion would ideally protect her spine if she needed to eject out with the parachute. As the aerobatics began - turning upside down, turning on a dime, dipping down swiftly to come closer to the ground, she was at once feeling forces against her body at an intensity that she could never fathom while at the same time feeling that she was in a dream as she and the jet were one – very little between her and the open sky – and so she knew what it was like to be an eagle and to see through its eyes.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Italian fashion dynasty sells prized Brunello di Montalcino winery
08 March 2022 18:21
Italian fashion dynasty sells prized Brunello di Montalcino winery

The Ferragamo family, best known as the custodians of the luxury goods company founded by their ancestor Salvatore in Florence in 1927, have sold Castiglion del Bosco, a Tuscan winery producing highly regarded Brunello di Montalcino.

John

VinePair Podcast: How Prosecco Conquered Sparkling Wine
08 March 2022 18:24
VinePair Podcast: How Prosecco Conquered Sparkling Wine

On this episode of the “VinePair Podcast,” hosts Adam Teeter, Joanna Sciarrino, and Zach Geballe examine how Prosecco grew in popularity over the last decade. Compared to other sparkling wines, Prosecco has a reputation for being price accessible, versatile, and approachable.

There are many reasons for this, from successful marketing campaigns to long-term brand loyalty. Does this ring true for one of the best-selling bottles in the U.S. today? Our hosts discuss these questions and more, before tasting one of the most popular Proseccos on the market. Tune in to learn more.

[vinepair.com]

John

Amarone, the Mistake That Turned a Region on Its Head
18 March 2022 18:08
Amarone, the Mistake That Turned a Region on Its Head

It’s rich, it’s expensive, and it’s made the fortunes of Italy’s Valpolicella region

[www.pix.wine]

John

A New Tuscan Winery Diverges From The Chianti Classico Tradition
22 March 2022 18:17
A New Tuscan Winery Diverges From The Chianti Classico Tradition

Tuscany’s Chianti region is one of Italy’s most storied wine territories and certainly the best known to the global market, based largely on the renown of the Chianti Classico appellation and the so-called “Super Tuscan” wines that have no official appellation. For a region its size it’s hard to imagine there are still parcels of land available for new estates, and what few there are cost a fortune. Nonetheless, there are still new investors who are trying innovations without relying on the Chianti Classico DOCG. Bertinga is one of the most recent, so I met with the estate’s director Luca Vitiello over dinner in New York to find out why Bertinga wants to diverge from the tried-and-true.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Tenuta di Trinoro: Like Father, Like Son
22 March 2022 18:19
Tenuta di Trinoro: Like Father, Like Son

Dealing with the loss of a parent is tough enough, but what about stepping into your father's shoes?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

New Wine In Old Bottles
23 March 2022 18:30
New Wine In Old Bottles

I should have expected it in a temple of Tuscan kitsch: Chianti in a fiasco, the bulbous bottles wrapped in straw that were a symbol of Italian eateries in 1970s Britain. Russell Norman’s brilliant new London restaurant, Brutto, is a homage to the traditional Tuscan trattoria – and as at his Venetian chain, Polpo, his attention to detail shines through in every chequered tablecloth and faux-humble typewritten menu item (“tagliatelle with meat sauce”). So as I gleefully sat down to lunch (reservations are a brag-worthy coup) I decided to order the old-fashioned Chianti.

[timatkin.com]

John

Sangiovese, The Most Italian Of Grapes
01 April 2022 17:26
Sangiovese, The Most Italian Of Grapes

There is something distinctly Italian about sangiovese. Maybe not so surprising as it is the most planted grape variety in Italy. Widely present in Tuscany, where we find it in Chianti, Chianti Classico and Brunello di Montalcino, it is also grown in various other Italian regions. It combines freshness, tannins and a light body which (often) makes it easily recognizable. It’s a grape for the dinner table.

[www.forbes.com]

John

2018 Barolo: challenging conditions and gratifying wines
05 April 2022 17:30
2018 Barolo: challenging conditions and gratifying wines

The vintage maketh the wine, at least perhaps in part. It is, of course, true that the growing conditions of any given vintage—as well as those of the previous year—impact grapevine development, stimulate disease pressure and influence berry chemistry. The ‘ideal’ growing season is absent of extremities and irregularities. Suitable precipitation between December and March, preferably snow, stocks soil water reserves and moderate temperatures keep budburst at bay. Early and timely flowering and fecundation increase the chances of a healthy yield and homogenous ripening. Hydric stress at fruit set limits the growth of the young berries and influences their potential tannin content. Then, a successful end to vegetative growth before veraison encourages the vine to direct resources to productive fruit growth. Finally, a long growing season marked by reasonable diurnal shifts and sparse rainfall facilitates complete maturity. The late Denis Dubourdieu, professor of oenology at the University of Bordeaux, outlined similar criteria as constituting a ‘great vintage’, which critics and journalists have subsequently reframed. Additionally, Orley Ashenfelter has demonstrated that most of the variation in mature wine prices can be predicted by key weather data from each associated vintage. Ashenfelter’s model—using mature wine prices as a proxy for quality—also showed that immature wine prices are inefficient and poor predictors of future returns.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

Chianti Classico's Subzones a Somm's Dream
05 April 2022 17:41
Chianti Classico's Subzones a Somm's Dream

New rules around Chianti Classico subzones will only be learned by somms and wine nerds – and that's a good thing.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Wines for Peace: Brunello Consortium auction benefitting Ukraine, Monday, April 11, at Vinitaly.
11 April 2022 16:55
Wines for Peace: Brunello Consortium auction benefitting Ukraine, Monday, April 11, at Vinitaly.

On Monday, April 11, on the occasion of the Vinitaly wine trade fair in Verona, the Brunello Consortium, in partnership with the Chianti Classico and Bolgheri consortia, will be holding an auction of large formats and prized vintages to benefit Ukrainian refugees in Italy. The event, “Vini per la Pace” (“Wines for Peace”), will include 30 rare lots.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Re: Wines for Peace: Brunello Consortium auction benefitting Ukraine, Monday, April 11, at Vinitaly.
11 April 2022 16:58
iDealwine launches charity auction in aid of Ukraine

Online wine auctioneer iDealwine has announced that it is launching a charity auction, comprising more than 750 bottles, with all proceeds being donated to Ukraine Amitié, a charity sending financial aid and medical supplies to Ukraine.

John

Re: Wines for Peace: Brunello Consortium auction benefitting Ukraine, Monday, April 11, at Vinitaly.
11 April 2022 17:00
Wine and spirit exports to Russia are banned

The Australian Government has banned the export of luxury goods to Russia, including wine and spirits, which includes both direct and indirect exports that happen through third party companies and countries.

[theshout.com.au]

John

11 April 2022 17:25
Ukrainian winemaking in war

Most of the territory of Ukraine has been scarred by war because the Russians have been actively destroying civilian infrastructure and this fate hasn’t spared the wineries of our country.

[www.hudin.com]

John

A Paler Shade of Sangiovese
15 April 2022 17:41
A Paler Shade of Sangiovese

Just across the border from Chianti Classico, producers are making a light, pretty style of Sangiovese.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

The Eccentric Tuscan Castle Where Chianti Wine Was Born And Still Thrives
19 April 2022 17:30
The Eccentric Tuscan Castle Where Chianti Wine Was Born And Still Thrives

A long track of hairpin bends shaded by leafy branches winds up to the formidable grey stone walls of Castello di Brolio in Tuscany. Beyond the trees, the hillside sloping down from the imposing battlements is lined with vines sprouting their first spring buds. It was from these same Sangiovese vines that Baron Bettino Ricasoli invented Chianti Classico, a wine that would become one of the most famous Italian products across the world.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen