Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
SA Wine Legends: Madame May-Eliane de Lencquesaing
16 March 2020 17:45
SA Wine Legends: Madame May-Eliane de Lencquesaing

The many lives of Madame. When Madame May-Eliane de Lencquesaing, matriarch and founder of Glenelly Estate in Stellenbosch, won the Lifetime Achievement Award at International Wine Challenge (IWC) Awards 2017—they should have given her a few trophies for all of the lifetimes she’s lived. Born into one Bordeaux's oldest wine families, the Miailhe, Lady May as she’s fondly known, has lived through World War 2, has been an army wife in Kansas; and at the age of 78, bought a fruit farm in Stellenbosch and starting planting vines on the slopes of the Simonsberg.

[www.wosa.co.za]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Here Are The 50 Best Young Wine Labels & Winemakers in Australia
17 March 2020 13:12
Here Are The 50 Best Young Wine Labels & Winemakers in Australia

The Top 50 winemakers in the 14th annual Young Gun of Wine Awards has just landed.

[younggunofwine.com]

John

The Australian Wine Research Institute eNews – March 2020
18 March 2020 18:28
The Australian Wine Research Institute eNews – March 2020

Message from new Managing Director – Dr Mark Krstic

[www.awri.com.au]

John

Harvest 2020 in South Africa looks promising
18 March 2020 18:44
Harvest 2020 in South Africa looks promising

All producers we met on our wine tour in mid-February were, so far, happy with the quality and most of them also with the quantity. After the drought the quantities are now again back to more or less normal. The drought the past three years is over but water is still a scarce resource and visitors are encouraged not to waste water unnecessarily.

[www.bkwine.com]

John

Re: Harvest 2020 in South Africa looks promising
18 March 2020 22:34
Heel benieuwd wie deze " tourist " is die 30 wijnbedrijven heeft bezocht, en waar hij nu is.
Ik was het niet! >grinning smiley<

[www.iol.co.za]
Riesling reborn
03 April 2020 17:19
Riesling reborn

Riesling is getting a makeover by some Aussie producers pursuing a range of styles through alternative winemaking techniques.

[www.winecompanion.com.au]

John

Video: Eben Sadie on viticulture
08 April 2020 16:53
Video: Eben Sadie on viticulture

Ring and I visit Eben Sadie at his farm in the Swartland, in South Africa. In the past Eben has been buying grapes from top vineyards, but for the last few years he has been a vineyard owner, and has some very interesting things to say about viticulture.

[wineanorak.com]

John

Argentina’s Domaine Bousquet Is One Of The Leaders Of Organic And Non-Sulfite Wines
08 April 2020 16:57
Argentina’s Domaine Bousquet Is One Of The Leaders Of Organic And Non-Sulfite Wines

The growth and acceptance of Argentinean wines in the global market, despite the country’s boom-or-bust economy, is largely the result of investments made and vineyards planted just in the past 20 years. Today Argentina is the world’s fifth largest wine producer (after France, Italy, Spain and the U.S.), with more than 900 wineries and 17,000 producers. Total exports in 2019 were 19 million cases totaling $700 million.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Revealed: Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year 2020 winners
29 April 2020 12:03
Revealed: Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year 2020 winners

A portrait of two German Pinot Noir winemakers from the famous wine estate Meyer Näkel has won this year’s Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year competition.

Prachtig huis, Meyer Näkel. Geweldig restaurant en meer dan voortreffelijke en betaalbare wijnen. Ook in het restaurant. Wat een mooie doorleefde kop heeft de dame links.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

South African Wine Harvest Report 2020: Great season, remarkable wines
07 May 2020 11:24
South African Wine Harvest Report 2020: Great season, remarkable wines

South Africa’s 2020 wine grape crop will bring exceptional wines to consumers, following favourable conditions throughout the season. This according to the South African wine industry’s annual Wine Harvest Report 2020.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

SA wine history: On restrictions and prohibitions
07 May 2020 17:35
SA wine history: On restrictions and prohibitions

“There was no hope that a government, so strongly influenced by the prohibitionist faction, would ever consider the grant of special bounties to the winegrowers.”

[winemag.co.za]

John

Augmented Reality From Every Australian Wine
12 May 2020 17:24
Augmented Reality From Every Australian Wine

Australian wine to gain a competitive edge, says Winerytale

[www.prnewswire.com]

John

The fall and rise of Pinotage
12 May 2020 17:31
The fall and rise of Pinotage

Members of the wine trade are cursed to forever wander from party to party and set the record straight with regards to Chardonnay.

[www.hudin.com]

John

2020 Australian wine grape harvest is down 20% …or more
15 May 2020 17:05
2020 Australian wine grape harvest is down 20% …or more

In an interview the ABC, Chief of Australian Grape and Wine Tony Battaglene says the 2020 Australian wine grape crush has dropped by one fifth because of weather, drought, and bushfires.

[vino-joy.com]

John

Tim James: Art and wine – and money
15 May 2020 17:11
Tim James: Art and wine – and money

The eminent art critic Robert Hughes was no friend to the business side of art – which was becoming even bigger business in the last quarter of the 20th century, when he was doing much of his writing. Nearly 30 years ago, for example, he wrote that: “The art market boom has been an unmitigated disaster for the public life of art. It has distorted the ground of people’s reaction to painting and sculpture. Thirty or even twenty years ago anyone, amateur or expert, could spend an hour or two in a museum without wondering what [an artwork] might cost at auction”; but now, he continues, “the imagery of money has been so crudely riveted onto the face of museum-quality art … that its unhappy confusion between price and value may never be resolved.”

[winemag.co.za]

John

SA Wine History: On South Africa’s wine lake (and how it was drained)
26 May 2020 17:33
SA Wine History: On South Africa’s wine lake (and how it was drained)

“In the early days South Africa actually had too much wine. Sources mention there was even a wine lake.”

So wrote Mark Stock in his Quick and Easy Guide to South African Wine, published by The Manuel last month.

Was this true, asked Bubbles Hyland of Well Red Wine Magazine via Twitter, to which my answer was in the affirmative, based on my general awareness that the Koöperatieve Wijnbouwers Vereniging van Suid-Afrika (KWV) had been formed to deal with a wine surplus.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Winter fermented Sauvignon Blanc – Innovation giving South African wineries an edge
05 June 2020 11:58
Winter fermented Sauvignon Blanc – Innovation giving South African wineries an edge

Fresh aromatics are among the most sought-after qualities in wine. In South Africa, some wineries have taken the quest for freshness literally, by freezing the juice. Consultant oenologist and researcher Dr. Carien Coetzee explains how successful they have been.

[cmsauvignon.com]

John

Argentina's White Wine Revolution
11 June 2020 17:26
Argentina's White Wine Revolution

In the spiritual homeland of Malbec, many of the most innovative new wines being produced today are white. One might be forgiven for thinking that winemakers are being deliberately contrary; however, over the past decade and a half, underneath wave after wave of reds, a revolution has been simmering away quietly. Chardonnays and Sémillons are now being produced that are every bit as good as some of the best Malbecs in the country.

[www.vinous.com]

John

South Africa – a social progress report
24 June 2020 17:26
South Africa – a social progress report

South Africa of course has had further to travel than most countries in any attempt at racial equality because it inherited the hangover from apartheid whereby all the menial jobs, including vineyard work, were done by poorly paid Blacks, a term which in South Africa officially includes the people once known as Cape Coloureds as well as Indians and, more recently, Chinese.

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

SA wine history: Behind every great winemaker at Zonnebloem was Marie Furter
25 June 2020 17:46
SA wine history: Behind every great winemaker at Zonnebloem was Marie Furter

‘South Africa cannot afford to lose men like John de Villiers,’ is what the Sunday Times wrote about the owner of Zonnebloem wine farm in Simondium following his death in a car crash on 7 July 1948. ‘Politicians may come and go, and millionaires may make their millions, but those who produce perfection from our own soil are of rarity beyond price. [De Villiers] sought no great wealth; he loved the age-old art of wine-making and strove to make it even better. His great ambition was to make a wine typical of South Africa and distinct from any made overseas.’

[winemag.co.za]

John

US wine giant Tony Terlato dies
30 June 2020 12:12
US wine giant Tony Terlato dies

Winery owner, retailer, distributor and importer Tony Terlato, founder of the Terlato Wine Group, who helped introduce Americans to Italian wine, has died aged 86.

86 is een respectabele leeftijd. Weer verlaat ons een icoon maar laat ons veel moois na.

De meeste indruk maakte op mij de wijnen in samenwerking met Chapoutier.

[www.terlato-chapoutier.com]

John

Re: US wine giant Tony Terlato dies
01 July 2020 17:01
Tony Terlato, a Giant in the U.S. Wine Industry, Dies at 86

From working in his dad's retail store to building a leading wine distribution and import firm to producing wines in four countries, Terlato focused on giving consumers quality

[www.winespectator.com]

John

Can Chilean Wine Be As Good As Bordeaux? Ask Winemaker Cristian Vallejo
01 July 2020 17:21
Can Chilean Wine Be As Good As Bordeaux? Ask Winemaker Cristian Vallejo

French varieties and winemaking techniques altered the face of Chilean wine in the 19th century and the effects of France continue to be felt in Chile today. The phylloxera epidemic of the mid to late 19th century first wreaked havoc on vineyards in France, causing French winemakers to seek other lands in which to ply their trade. Wealthy Chilean landowners had already begun importing French grapevines; an emigration of enologists from Bordeaux to Santiago followed.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Re: Can Chilean Wine Be As Good As Bordeaux? Ask Winemaker Cristian Vallejo
01 July 2020 22:47
Bottle of Penfolds from 1951 sells for over £57k
02 July 2020 17:18
Bottle of Penfolds from 1951 sells for over £57k

A bottle of 1951 Penfolds Bin 1 Grange has sold for over AU$103,000 (£57,000), which auctioneer Langton’s says is the highest price ever paid for a bottle of Australian wine.

John

Commandaria Uncorked: ‘The King of Wine’
16 July 2020 17:04
Commandaria Uncorked: ‘The King of Wine’

An old world wine whose roots lie in the foundations of ancient and medieval history, Commandaria is a sweet dessert wine from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.

Mooi, heel mooi verslag.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

South Africa’s wine industry faces collapse
21 July 2020 17:27
South Africa’s wine industry faces collapse

South Africa’s ruling African National Congress party has slapped a ban on the domestic sale of alcohol. This, plus the loss of wine tourism, threatens to cripple the wine industry, says Michael Fridjhon.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Tokay is no longer okay from September
02 August 2020 18:59
Tokay is no longer okay from September

1 September 2020 marks the end of the transition period for use of ‘Tokay’, making it an offence under the Wine Australia Act 2013 (the Act) to describe or present an Australian wine using this term.

[www.wineaustralia.com]

John

What You Should Know about Washington State Wine Regions
14 August 2020 17:24
What You Should Know about Washington State Wine Regions

Washington State is the United States’ fastest growing, major wine region. The second-largest wine producing state in the union, it grew from 100 wineries to 900 in just 20 years and now tops 1,000. It quintupled vine acreage to 55,000 over the same period. It now makes slightly more wine than the third- and fourth-highest producing states combined (New York and Pennsylvania).

[www.jjbuckley.com]

John

South Africa’s alcohol industry welcomes end of alcohol ban
17 August 2020 16:59
South Africa’s alcohol industry welcomes end of alcohol ban

The South African alcohol industry is welcoming the government’s decision to lift its coronavirus ban on alcohol sales, with the trading and distribution of alcohol again permitted from today.

[www.beveragedaily.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen