Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
CHANGES MADE TO CHILE’S VINEYARDS ‘WILL TAKE 50 YEARS TO SHOW RESULTS’
20 August 2020 17:44
CHANGES MADE TO CHILE’S VINEYARDS ‘WILL TAKE 50 YEARS TO SHOW RESULTS’

Chief winemaker at Viña Carmen, Emily Faulconer, has said that wine professionals must realise that it will take up to half a century before projects underway in Chile’s vineyards show real results.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
SOUTH AFRICAN GOVERNMENT LAMENTS ALCOHOL-RELATED DEATHS
25 August 2020 17:38
SOUTH AFRICAN GOVERNMENT LAMENTS ALCOHOL-RELATED DEATHS

South African government officials have lamented the rise in alcohol-related road incidents following the lifting of a controversial ban on wine, beer and spirits sales.[/b]

Dat kon je van ver aan zien komen.

John

MONTES USING SHELLS TO WARM HIS VINES IN CHILE’S CHILLY SOUTH
02 September 2020 17:01
MONTES USING SHELLS TO WARM HIS VINES IN CHILE’S CHILLY SOUTH

Brave enough to make wine at Chile’s outer limits, Aurelio Montes is using mussel and clam shells to help heat up his vines on the island of Mechuque.

John

Wine with a touch of Eucalyptus?
11 September 2020 17:31
Wine with a touch of Eucalyptus?

Uncovering the science of Indigenous Australian fermentation.

[cosmosmagazine.com]

John

The Vanishing Point
16 September 2020 17:23
The Vanishing Point

I have an age problem. First of all, 38 years of tasting young wines has conditioned me to their charms – their energy, their freshness. Second, there’s little point in my buying wines that will take 20 years to mature. I might be dead by then.

[timatkin.com]

John

Mozel Watson: Harlem’s wine god
17 September 2020 17:05
Mozel Watson: Harlem’s wine god

Known around Harlem as the self- proclaimed “wine god,” Mozel Watson is a certified sommelier who educates Black people on wine––what they’re made from, the different ways they’re made and what the people are putting into their bodies as opposed to drinking and being uninformed.

[amsterdamnews.com]

John

Aussie grapes could be on the shelves year-round thanks to 20-year-old dwarf grape gene
21 September 2020 17:41
Aussie grapes could be on the shelves year-round thanks to 20-year-old dwarf grape gene

Spring picnics are back on the menu as the weather heats up, but the grapes you're filling your picnic baskets with at the moment are likely from overseas.

Key points:
Researchers are working with a gene mutation to grow grapes in Australia year-round

The microvine fruits earlier than other varieties and thrives in warm conditions

It could close a gap in imports and improve export opportunities for Australia growers

[www.abc.net.au]

John

THE 8 TRENDS SHAPING THE CHILEAN WINE INDUSTRY
22 September 2020 17:51
THE 8 TRENDS SHAPING THE CHILEAN WINE INDUSTRY

Having been famously dismissed as the ‘Volvo’ of the wine world, Chile is now one of the most exciting winemaking nations on the planet. Eager to explore every last nook of the country, winemakers have been venturing to Chile’s extremes, from the star-speckled skies of the Atacama Desert to the wind-whipped valleys down south, where ripening is pushed to its limits.

John

Kiwi winery using green tea as natural wine preservative
22 September 2020 17:40
Kiwi winery using green tea as natural wine preservative

Kiwi winery world-first to use green tea as natural wine preservative Loveblock TEE Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2019 contains no added sulphur, certified organic

[www.voxy.co.nz]

John

Re: Kiwi winery using green tea as natural wine preservative
25 September 2020 16:45
Winery uses green tea as natural wine preservative

When Erica and Kim Crawford heard about using green tea in their winemaking process, the Marlborough couple brewed up an idea to use it with their latest sauvignon blanc.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

John

LAURA CATENA'S GOLD IN THE VINEYARDS: A CELEBRATION OF THE WORLD'S MOST ICONIC WINERIES
26 September 2020 10:00
LAURA CATENA'S GOLD IN THE VINEYARDS: A CELEBRATION OF THE WORLD'S MOST ICONIC WINERIES

Laura Catena's Gold in the Vineyards: A Celebration of The World's Most Iconic Wineries
As a young child in Argentina, Laura Catena was in constant motion, so much so that her grandfather gave her the nickname La Lauchita (the little mouse). Books were the only thing, besides sleep, that would stop her from moving; she especially loved gazing at the drawings and photographs on the pages of her favorite childhood books.

[grapecollective.com]

John

Triumph of Tempranillo
30 September 2020 16:56
Triumph of Tempranillo

Abacela honors 25 years of leading an American-Spanish wine revolution

[www.oregonwinepress.com]

John

Photos show an astonishing scale of devastation in Northern California's wine country, where the Glass Fire has torched entire warehouses, tasting rooms, and vineyards

Residents look on as the Glass Fire burns through the area on September 27, 2020 in Calistoga, California.

[www.businessinsider.com]

John

Cape Winemakers Guild Auction shines in a history making 2020
06 October 2020 11:43
Cape Winemakers Guild Auction shines in a history making 2020

The 36th Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction hosted by Bonhams made history with record average prices per case being achieved across the board. An unprecedented and challenging year called for an innovative and charitable approach that resulted in two separate and distinctive online auctions raising a staggering total of R5.15 million.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

COOL CLIMATE SOUTH AFRICA: PAUL CLUVER'S JOURNEY FROM APPLES TO PINOT NOIR
06 October 2020 11:52
COOL CLIMATE SOUTH AFRICA: PAUL CLUVER'S JOURNEY FROM APPLES TO PINOT NOIR

Elgin is a large, lush area of land, circled by mountains, in the Overberg region of South Africa. This broad upland valley lies about 45 miles southeast of Cape Town. It is an inland plateau, naturally defined by the surrounding mountains. Elevations ranging from 850 feet to 2,000 feet above sea level result in cool temperatures. The Elgin Valley is one of the more intensively farmed districts of South Africa and produces 60% of the national apple crop. Consequently it is now internationally known as the place in South Africa “where the apples come from.”

[grapecollective.com]

John

Dirt bikes, guns and a helicopter are defending the Adelaide Hills against 1,000 feral goats
06 October 2020 12:00
Dirt bikes, guns and a helicopter are defending the Adelaide Hills against 1,000 feral goats

A huge muster operation has been rounding up feral goats to stop them munching on grape vines and rare vegetation in the Adelaide Hills, in what's thought to be the first commercial operation of its kind in the area.

[www.abc.net.au]

John

Should South Africa produce terroir-driven wines?
06 October 2020 17:06
Should South Africa produce terroir-driven wines?

The importance of regional ties to the climate, soil and grape varieties is at the heart of terroir. The ‘somewhereness’ of wine as a holistic result of nature and nurture has led to the wine of origin and a potent marketing tool of wine globally. The French have owned this marketing approach as it created a valuable brand association with fine wines.

Could this work for Brand South Africa and should South African wine producers focus on terroir-driven wines per region?

[news.wine.co.za]

John

California fires take a deep toll on wine country
08 October 2020 17:13
California fires take a deep toll on wine country

The 2020 vintage was already difficult in Napa Valley. It was born in a drought, matured through terrible heat spikes and had endured smoky conditions from the haze of numerous Northern California fires.

[www.thestar.com]

John

DGB Acquires unique Fryers Cove Winery on the Cape West Coast
13 October 2020 17:32
DGB Acquires unique Fryers Cove Winery on the Cape West Coast

Leading South African drinks company DGB, owners of top wine brands including Boschendal and Bellingham, has purchased Fryers Cove Wines, one of the most unique boutique wineries in the country situated at on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean on the remote Cape West Coast at Doring Bay.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Converting wine leftovers into biofuel
14 October 2020 16:54
Converting wine leftovers into biofuel

It’s one of the nation’s biggest food waste issues, but a CQUniversity researcher hopes leftovers from Australian wine production can help power a cleaner future.

[foodmag.com.au]

John

Australia's changing vineyards
19 October 2020 17:19
Australia's changing vineyards

In a recent post, I discussed where various wine-grape varieties are currently grown. I noted that there is more difference between countries than similarity. This is a Good Thing in the face of global climate change, as it means that grape varietal diversity is not under immediate threat.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

SA wine prices predicted to recover again in ‘next few years’
19 October 2020 17:21
SA wine prices predicted to recover again in ‘next few years’

The Covid-19 pandemic has had a far-reaching effect on wine-producing countries across the globe, not least South Africa.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Charles Sturt research to understand Shiraz terroir
21 October 2020 17:45
Charles Sturt research to understand Shiraz terroir

Researchers from Charles Sturt University are seeking to understand the regional typicality of Shiraz in a project funded by Wine Australia.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

From Cape Chianti to hero: Grenache in South Africa
27 October 2020 18:06
From Cape Chianti to hero: Grenache in South Africa

“I grew up with Grenache,” shares South African wine legend, Jan Boland Coetzee. His pale blue eyes focused on the verdant Swartland hills from our vantage point on Adi Badenhorst’s porch. The crops and vines were lush from the wettest Cape winter in many years. “My grandfather planted it in the Piekenierskloof, my nephews still farm there today.”

[www.hudin.com]

John

Laura Catena on growing, preserving & understanding Argentine wines
27 October 2020 18:16
Laura Catena on growing, preserving & understanding Argentine wines

If there is a more respected and liked figure in the global wine industry than Laura Catena then I am yet to meet them. If her father, Nicolás, is widely regarded for putting Argentine wine on the world map, then Dr Laura Catena is more than ready to take it to the next generation. She has already established herself as a leading voice not just on Bodega Catena Zapata wines, but on exploring, investigating and finding the most sustainable and climate proof places to make wine for all producers across Argentina. Here in this wide ranging video interview Richard Siddle talks to her about her vision and plans for Catena, helping to raise the quality and prestige of Argentine wines internationally and managing a business through Covid-19.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Icewine Uncorked: Canada’s frozen gem
29 October 2020 18:29
Icewine Uncorked: Canada’s frozen gem

When subzero weather struck German vineyards in the late 1700s freezing winegrape crops, local winemakers thought to persevere with vintage anyway and stumbled across something rather significant.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Babydoll sheep provide a novel solution to grass control in the vineyard
12 November 2020 18:21
Babydoll sheep provide a novel solution to grass control in the vineyard

The Vintner’s Daughter recently acquired a team of Babydoll Southdown sheep to control grass among the vines and eliminate the use of herbicides in the vineyard.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

A study of regionality in Australian Pinot noir wines demonstrates that NMR and ICP-MS could be used to detect wine fraud

Wine quality and character depends in part on the environment the grapes are grown in, referred to as ‘terroir’: “Wine, according to its terroir, will have a particular taste that is associated with the soil, geology, topography, and climate where the vineyard is located” (Barnard 2016, pp. 14–15). This means the environment can influence the metabolome (metabolic patterns) of a wine. “Wine can be described as a molecular kaleidoscope integrating signatures from grapes, yeasts, the winemaking and the environment” (Roullier-Gall et al. 2014, p. 100).

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Flashback: Malbec & Maradona
01 December 2020 18:22
Flashback: Malbec & Maradona

Diego Maradona was more than just a great football player, the best of his generation by many accounts — the best ever according to some. He and his complicated life meant a great deal more to people in Argentina and around the world, so his recent death at age 60 had greater meaning, too.

This book review from 2012, which links Malbec, Argentina’s signature grape variety, with Diego Maradona, has been getting renewed attention among Wine Economist readers, so I thought I’d re-publish it as a “flashback” column today.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

Australian wine producers facing bleak future with China's tariffs
30 November 2020 18:28
Australian wine producers facing bleak future with China's tariffs

Wineries in some of Australia's premier wine regions are looking down the barrel of a difficult future with China's wine tariffs likely to put smaller wineries out of business and force larger growers into new markets.

Trump is hier een kleine jongen bij.

[www.abc.net.au]

[www.wine-business-international.com]

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen