Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Re: Australian wine producers facing bleak future with China's tariffs
01 December 2020 19:02
Misschien een deal sluiten met Groot-Brittannië?
Wijn naar het VK en, ja wat eigenlijk richting Australië? cool smiley
GEN Z DRINKERS IN AUSTRALIA ARE NOW DRINKING WINE MORE FREQUENTLY THAN MILLENNIALS
02 December 2020 18:01
GEN Z DRINKERS IN AUSTRALIA ARE NOW DRINKING WINE MORE FREQUENTLY THAN MILLENNIALS

Insights such as this will be available in the new Wine Intelligence Australia Wine Consumer Observatory 2021, which will be the one-stop shop for businesses selling wine in Canada.

The Australia Observatory will consist of Wine Intelligence reports and webinars delivered by Wine Intelligence market experts – all focused on the Australian market and delivered throughout the year.

[www.wineintelligence.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Mourvedre: Sidelined by Phylloxera No More
07 December 2020 17:40
Mourvedre: Sidelined by Phylloxera No More

One of the silver linings of the last nine months unable to travel has been the chance to spend time virtually with some of California winemakers whose work I find inspiring. One of these is Bedrock Wine Company's Morgan Twain-Peterson. He and I were paired up in the finale of the California Wine Institute's "Behind the Wine" series.

[tablascreek.typepad.com]

John

On wine and good health in the pandemic circa 1348 (my Georgetown Humanities Initiative lecture).
07 December 2020 17:47
On wine and good health in the pandemic circa 1348 (my Georgetown Humanities Initiative lecture).

When esteemed wine educator Karen MacNeil upbraided me last year for writing about a wine and its effect on my metabolism, it only reminded me of what a soulless wine writer she is. And her pungent words came to mind this week when I delivered a virtual lecture on wine as an expression of Western culture for the Georgetown University Humanities Initiative.

[dobianchi.com]

John

Cape Winemakers Guild welcomes new members and protégés
07 December 2020 18:12
Cape Winemakers Guild welcomes new members and protégés

The Cape Winemakers Guild (CWG) is proud to announce the two new members joining its ranks and the three new CWG Protégés who have joined their Protégé Programme.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

This viral cake-cutting method using wine glasses is kind of genius
07 December 2020 18:15
This viral cake-cutting method using wine glasses is kind of genius

That way, you can say "cheers" with a cupful of cake!

[www.today.com]

John

SA now has 300 million litres of unsold wine - here's how it will probably play out
16 December 2020 17:51
SA now has 300 million litres of unsold wine - here's how it will probably play out

Ahead of the incoming harvest, South African wine producers are still stuck with surplus stock of 280 million to 300 million litres of wine.
This is the equivalent of total wine sales in the country in the past year.
Wine prices have already started to fall as producers try to shift product, while next year’s grape harvest could end up in juice or hand sanitiser.
For more articles, go to [www.BusinessInsider.co.za].

[www.businessinsider.co.za]

John

WINES OF ARGENTINA ENDS ‘SUCCESSFUL’ YEAR
24 December 2020 18:26
WINES OF ARGENTINA ENDS ‘SUCCESSFUL’ YEAR

Industry body Wines of Argentina (WofA) has made progress in its aim to raise the profile of Argentine wine abroad, hosting over 50 digital events and launching a new podcast.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

ALMOST CLUB DECEMBER 2020 EDITION – 50 WINES COVERED
30 December 2020 17:38
ALMOST CLUB DECEMBER 2020 EDITION – 50 WINES COVERED

Not all wines can be great. Plenty are just ok drinks. And some are just bad.

Here then is a selection of wines that almost made it to a pass mark (silver medal standard) in December.

Notably, there were a bunch of wines in here that were just plain faulty. Mercaptans, oxidation. Who even bottles these things, let alone sends them out for review?

[www.ozwinereview.com]

John

The fine wine private label
12 January 2021 14:07
The fine wine private label

Cameron Hughes has done something unthinkable – made fine wine private labels and reinvented how consumers buy wine. Jeff Siegel has the story.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

"Disastrous" situation for South Africa's wine sector as 2021 vintage kicks off with 65% of 2020 vintage still in storage

The South African wine industry still has the bulk of its 2020 vintage in storage, with the 2021 harvest due to kick off in less than a week, a situation described as "disastrous" by one of the country's top winemakers.

[app.vinex.market]

John

Lodi winegrowing, marketing, and its Alta Mesa appellation
21 January 2021 17:52
Lodi winegrowing, marketing, and its Alta Mesa appellation

How does the "outside world" look at the wine regions of Lodi, which were almost unknown to the rest of the world up until the 1990s? Or, in fact, not until after the Lodi Winegrape Commission was formed by the region's growers in 1991.

[www.lodiwine.com]

John

What are the Australian and Spanish grape-growers doing?
25 January 2021 18:27
What are the Australian and Spanish grape-growers doing?

Commenting on the effects of climate change in the wine industry, Jancis Robinson (What price terroir in an era of climate change?) recently commented:

Here then is the dilemma which will face Bordeaux châteaux in the next 20 to 50 years. Might they move to a cooler region and plant their present famous varieties, Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and Merlot, or, perhaps stay put in Bordeaux and grow more heat-tolerant varieties such as Syrah and Grenache?

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Why Is Screaming Eagle’s Winemaker Making $90 6-Packs of Lager?
27 January 2021 13:51
Why Is Screaming Eagle’s Winemaker Making $90 6-Packs of Lager?

Screaming Eagle famously makes some of the most well-regarded, limited, and absolutely jaw-droppingly expensive wine in all of America. Owned today by billionaire Stan Kroenke, Screaming Eagle’s Sauvignon Blanc sells for over $5,000 a bottle on average, and currently has a waiting list that reportedly takes over a decade to ascend to the top of, simply to be allowed to purchase bottles from the mere 400 to 750 cases released per year. This remains such an achievement to would-be buyers that it’s the third most prominent link on the winery’s website.

[vinepair.com]

John

USA Wine ratings
30 January 2021 15:20
USA Wine ratings

2020 Gold Winners en meer.

[usawineratings.com]

John

SA Wine Harvest Underway, Amidst Growing Concerns
01 February 2021 18:23
SA Wine Harvest Underway, Amidst Growing Concerns

South Africa’s 2021 wine harvest is well under way, and while producers and viticulturists are optimistic about the quality of this year’s vintage following favourable weather conditions, cellar capacity and financial viability remain a big concern due to the continued alcohol ban.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

One More Round of “Fuck Trump,” With Feeling
02 February 2021 18:07
One More Round of “Fuck Trump,” With Feeling

It all started in a stockpot. A thick slurry of vibrant orange habanero chile peppers studded with pulp and seeds, so fiery that those processing the mixture wear hazmat suits, goggles and masks to protect themselves from the swirling spirit. As incendiary as its habanero base is its name: Fuck Trump and His Stupid Fucking Wall. And it’s in its last run.

[punchdrink.com]

John

How Buscema is changing Nicolás Catena Zapata 2017
09 February 2021 19:21
How Buscema is changing Nicolás Catena Zapata 2017

In the five years since taking over the role of winemaker full-time at Catena Zapata, Fernando Buscema has been justifying the notices he was getting as one of Argentina’s most promising stars. He has a number of fingers in a number of pies – oenological, academic and entrepreneurial – and his LinkedIn page already boasts the likes of Lafite, CARO and now Catena Zapata. His sole responsibility there is to make luxury blend Nicolás Catena Zapata, a wine that he is taking in a bold new direction. He explains how to Peter Dean, as well as tastes the new Nicolás Catena Zapata 2017 alongside the 2015 and 2016 vintages.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Smuggling Chardonnay – The Rebel Grape
10 February 2021 18:51
Smuggling Chardonnay – The Rebel Grape

In the spirit of lockdown, Graham Howe revisits Chardonnay, the rebel grape first smuggled into South Africa forty years ago by winemakers defying government restrictions. Those were the days.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Scientists reveal Malbec terroir secrets in Mendoza
11 February 2021 18:11
Scientists reveal Malbec terroir secrets in Mendoza

Chemical analysis of Malbec wines from more than 20 vineyard sites has shown how terroir exerts its influence across different vintages, says a new study.

[www.decanter.com]

John

How an Ancient Croatian Grape Became America’s Signature Wine
12 February 2021 18:10
How an Ancient Croatian Grape Became America’s Signature Wine

Nearly vowel-less and difficult for English speakers to pronounce, Crljenak Kaštelanski (surl-YEN-ack cas-tuh-LON-skee) was once a rare, obsolescent grape variety. But it shares heritage with one of the United States’ most beloved wines, Zinfandel.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Stellenbosch University wine researcher receives French knighthood
12 February 2021 18:14
Stellenbosch University wine researcher receives French knighthood

CAPE TOWN - A wine researcher from Stellenbosch University has been bestowed a ceremonial knighthood, the Chevalier dans l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole (Knight in the Order of Agricultural Merit) by the French government.

[www.iol.co.za]

John

TOP SOUTH AFRICAN LABELS GAINING TRACTION
17 February 2021 18:38
TOP SOUTH AFRICAN LABELS GAINING TRACTION

Exports of premium and super-premium wine styles from the Western Cape grew significantly in 2020, according to a recent report by Wines of South Africa.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Geoffrey Dean on South Africa’s Babylonstoren story
23 February 2021 18:42
Geoffrey Dean on South Africa’s Babylonstoren story

Hotfooting it back from South Africa before quarantine came into effect, Geoffrey Dean reflects on his experiences there. One winery he visited, Babylonstoren, in the Simonsberg-Paarl ward, represented some hope amongst the troubles in the country. Throughout the pandemic the estate has managed to keep all of its 300 staff, and sales are up 20-30%, despite the lack of international visitors to its acclaimed gardens. Dean talks to cellar master Charl Coetzee about how they have achieved this.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

China blocked 3,000 bottles of Penfolds over “labelling issue”
02 March 2021 18:25
China blocked 3,000 bottles of Penfolds over “labelling issue”

Chinese customs authorities have blocked around 20,000 bottles of Australian wines, including Australian flagship wine brand, Penfolds, over what it calls a “labelling issue”, as Australian wine exports to China essentially ground to a halt, after being slapped with 212% anti-dumping tariff.

[vino-joy.com]

John

The stars are aligning for American taxes on French wines to be abolished
02 March 2021 18:29
The stars are aligning for American taxes on French wines to be abolished

If you point out to France’s minister of foreign trade, Franck Riester, that the government only seems to have been active in combatting the impact of American taxes on French wine regions since the beginning of 2021 – when they have been levied since 2019 – he will retort, as he did on 25 February during a visit to distilleries in the Charente region, that its reactions have been anything but delayed. Rather, they have moved up a gear since new, more propitious conditions, have emerged.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Wine Enthusiast Podcast: The Insane Appeal of South African Chardonnay
03 March 2021 18:25
Wine Enthusiast Podcast: The Insane Appeal of South African Chardonnay

In this episode of the Wine Enthusiast Podcast, we talk about the world’s most popular white wine grape: Chardonnay.

Say its name, and wine lovers typically turn to well-established “classic” regions for the variety: Burgundy and California. But what about the rest of the world? Surely there are other locations suited to quality Chardonnay production—why does Burgundy and California seem to get all the love?

[www.winemag.com]

John

Grape hopes for King Valley vignerons
05 March 2021 13:36
Grape hopes for King Valley vignerons

King Valley vignerons and wineries are poised to rebound strongly from last season’s bushfire ravaged vintage that exacted the worst ever commercial losses exceeding $50 million.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

60 vintages strong: Still in the thick of it
05 March 2021 17:58
60 vintages strong: Still in the thick of it

Elder statesman of wine Tim Knappstein will this month embark on his 60th vintage, and after a lifetime observing the wine business from the inside, there’s one thing he knows for certain about the Australian wine industry.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

The 2021 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
10 March 2021 14:04
No Glamour in Wine Judging

[www.sacmag.com]

En nu de uitkomst.

The 2021 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition

2021 SFCWC Sweepstake Medal Winners

[winejudging.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen