Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Re: The 2021 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
10 March 2021 14:12
THE LANGUAGE OF TASTING

There’s a famous saying in Zen studies (so famous that even I know it; I do not study Zen) that to hit the target you don’t aim for the target, you aim through it.

[www.terrytheise.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
UNITED STATES MAN WHO RAN ILLEGAL ‘WINERY’ INSIDE SEWAGE PLANT IS SENTENCED
26 March 2021 17:45
UNITED STATES MAN WHO RAN ILLEGAL ‘WINERY’ INSIDE SEWAGE PLANT IS SENTENCED

A man who was found to be running an illegal winery operation at a wastewater treatment plant has been sentenced in the United States.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

An iconic wine label is blending Aussie and American wines — and it’s working
29 March 2021 17:06
An iconic wine label is blending Aussie and American wines — and it’s working

Penfolds takes a trans-Pacific route to make ‘Wines of the World’

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

Hardy, Crisp and Rich: Meet Chardonnay’s Hybrid Grape
29 March 2021 17:13
Hardy, Crisp and Rich: Meet Chardonnay’s Hybrid Grape

Now grown along the East Coast, across the Midwest and down to Arkansas, this hybrid grape variety is snapping up more and more of the America’s acreage. Here’s what you need to know.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Long Read: South Africa's high hopes
02 April 2021 17:15
Long Read: South Africa's high hopes

If Bordeaux declares another 'vintage of the century' in 2021, then eyes will undoubtedly roll.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Jancis Robinson on Wine Aesthetics
06 April 2021 17:17
Jancis Robinson on Wine Aesthetics

Jancis Robinson has some interesting things to say about wine aesthetics.

Last week she reposted a summary of a lecture she gave to the British Society of Aesthetics in 2012. It is interesting to know what a prominent wine writer and wine expert has to say about some of the issues that preoccupy philosophers.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

ZAFA Wines owner Krista Scruggs accused of sexual misconduct
06 April 2021 17:47
ZAFA Wines owner Krista Scruggs accused of sexual misconduct

In the wine world, Krista Scruggs has been viewed for years as an up-and-coming star.

Wine Enthusiast named the Isle la Motte vintner one of “40 Under 40 Tastemakers” in 2018. The next year, Bon Appetit called Scruggs, owner of ZAFA Wines, the “hottest name in natural wine.” In 2020, Fast Company included her on its “Most Creative People in Business” list, and NBC’s “Today Show” chronicled how a self-described “black, queer woman” was making it in Vermont agriculture.

[vtdigger.org]

John

A New Museum Exhibit Celebrates the Relationship Between Glass and Wine
16 April 2021 17:35
A New Museum Exhibit Celebrates the Relationship Between Glass and Wine

"Fire and Vine" will be on display at the Corning Museum of Glass beginning this summer.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

Have South African wines reached collectable status?
20 April 2021 17:19
Have South African wines reached collectable status?

South African wines are undoubtedly world class, but ahead of the Cape Fine and Rare Wine Auction, Adam Lechmere asks if it's time for people to start investing in the Cape’s best bottles

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Premiumisation of Pinotage
26 April 2021 12:59
Premiumisation of Pinotage

Pinotage prices are steadily increasing as connoisseurs crave the cultivar and are prepared to pay for premium Pinotages.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Giving back in South Africa
30 April 2021 17:17
Giving back in South Africa

Although it resulted in commercial disasters such as bringing wine exports to a grinding halt, the pandemic has also sped certain things up. We’ve all been forced to make choices in this past year that have affected both our work and personal lives. We’ve all had to go deeper. In the eternal battle between good and evil some have revealed themselves as crisis opportunists, using the pandemic as a tool for their own nefarious ends – many workers have been laid off, with COVID-19 being the convenient excuse – or to profit from it. Let’s not get into the PPE scams and black-market cigarettes …

[www.jancisrobinson.com]

John

Sebastopol vintner launches boutique winery despite pandemic troubles
03 May 2021 17:32
Sebastopol vintner launches boutique winery despite pandemic troubles

When Raghni Naidu was about to launch her boutique winery in Sebastopol last year, she didn’t let something like the pandemic stop her. After all, this was her dream.

[www.pressdemocrat.com]

John

Vietnam’s Wine Industry and Opportunities for Australian Investors
19 May 2021 17:04
Vietnam’s Wine Industry and Opportunities for Australian Investors

Vietnam’s resilient economy, its control of the pandemic, and export-oriented economy has made investors take note turning into an effective China plus one destination.

While Vietnam is not without its share of challenges, it has emerged as one of the most promising ASEAN countries for the Australian wine industry.

As Australian wine is subject to Chinese tariffs, Vietnam Briefing highlights the reasons why Vietnam is a strong contender for the need to diversify.

[www.vietnam-briefing.com]

John

South Africa's 2021 vintage, by region
25 May 2021 16:59
South Africa's 2021 vintage, by region

Breedekloof

A very late season, characterised by a good balance between yield and quality, as vines...

[app.vinex.market]

John

Explore Méthode Cap Classique, The Bubbly Wine From South Africa
01 June 2021 17:38
Explore Méthode Cap Classique, The Bubbly Wine From South Africa

Sparkling wine is made around the world in a variety of methods, but one can’t just call it bubbly and call it a day. Nomenclature plays a role in the culture of wine with bubbles. While there are unique steps at work in the cellar, in some cases the craftsmanship may be similar but the identification is different because of where it’s made.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Why does Lettie hate Pinotage?
01 June 2021 17:34
Why does Lettie hate Pinotage?

Most in the Cape wine business likely do not know who Lettie is, and couldn't care less if she hates Pinotage. Further, the author doesn’t know Lettie personally and can only guess about her reasons for detesting and generally “bad mouthing”, as we call it in the US, our 96-year-old native cultivar.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Re: Why does Lettie hate Pinotage?
02 June 2021 17:28
Jamie Goode: Making peace with Pinotage

It’s great to be doing a new column for Winemag.co.za. So how should I kick this off? I asked editor Christian Eedes for a steer. His response? ‘1 June is the release of our second annual Pinotage Report,’ he said. “It would be great to get your thoughts on this always controversial variety. A vain pursuit? Unrealized potential? Better than most people give it credit for?” It took me about five seconds to agree that this is actually a great idea.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Tim Atkin MW: why Argentina 2019 is “the best vintage I have ever tasted”
04 June 2021 17:01
Tim Atkin MW: why Argentina 2019 is “the best vintage I have ever tasted”

It was Sod’s Law that Tim Atkin MW had to taste the Argentina 2019 vintage in Wimbledon rather than in the country itself. 2019, a “cool, elegant and historic” vintage in Atkin’s words, had been heralded as potentially the greatest ever, and so it proved. Not only was the long, cool harvest conditions perfect for making stand-out wines, but the weather complemented the brighter, fresher styles that many of the best bodegas are producing these days. Atkin lists the top 10 wines from 2019 that he would have on his wine list, as well as explains his thinking behind awarding a wine in South America a 100-point score for the very first time.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Willamette Valley: The New Burgundy?
04 June 2021 17:19
Willamette Valley: The New Burgundy?

It's best known for producing Pinot Noir, but could the Oregon AVA be the perfect spot for Chardonnay?

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Blind Ambition: the film following Zimbabwe’s first “Wine Olympics” team
16 June 2021 17:33
Blind Ambition: the film following Zimbabwe’s first “Wine Olympics” team

Documentary Blind Ambition introduces the first Zimbabwean sommelier tasting team to enter “the Olympics of the wine world”. Kaleem Aftab talks to its protagonists and filmmakers about the opportunities afforded through wine, as well as the industry’s continued diversity issues

[cluboenologique.com]

John

SA wine is more than a drink; it’s a livelihood
16 June 2021 17:38
SA wine is more than a drink; it’s a livelihood

The South African wine industry is concerned about the dire consequences that yet another alcohol ban or restrictions on the sale of wine will hold for wine-related businesses and the livelihoods of those working in the South African wine industry value-chain.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

The South America Wine Guide: The Definitive Guide To The Wines Of Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Bolivia And Peru By Amanda Barnes Published

Amanda Barnes‘ tome to the wines of South America, The South America Wine Guide: The definitive guide to the wines of Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru, was published last month and is now available in hardback and as a digital book.

[www.circleofwinewriters.org]

John

A Wine From Nowhere
22 June 2021 17:20
A Wine From Nowhere

A new line from Penfolds features two cuvées that combine wines of two continents. Do they transcend a sense of place, or are they wines of no place?

[www.nytimes.com]

John

Chilean Wines that Collectively Underline Chile’s Historic Commitments
01 July 2021 10:09
Chilean Wines that Collectively Underline Chile’s Historic Commitments

[www.wine-blog.org]

John

Laura Catena on the Storytelling Power of Wine Labels
01 July 2021 17:02
Laura Catena on the Storytelling Power of Wine Labels

The renowned winemaker casts a light on wines from other producers

[www.pix.wine]

John

‘One of a kind’ Penfolds Grange 1951 bottle to ‘smash’ world record price
06 July 2021 17:07
‘One of a kind’ Penfolds Grange 1951 bottle to ‘smash’ world record price

An incredibly rare Penfolds Grange from 1951 – the first vintage of Grange – is expected to smash the world record price for a bottle of Australian wine when it goes under the hammer this month.

John

This Wine Is Infused with the Sound of More Than 500 Musicians
21 July 2021 17:13
This Wine Is Infused with the Sound of More Than 500 Musicians

To make wine, you pick grapes, crush them, ferment the juice, age the wine, and finally bottle it. But what if there were an additional step to make the wine taste a certain way and even speed up the fermentation process?

[www.thomasnet.com]

John

SA wine history: Was Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel really our first bottle-fermented bubbly?
29 July 2021 17:06
SA wine history: Was Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel really our first bottle-fermented bubbly?

Corks are popping this year as South Africa celebrates half a century of bottle-fermented sparkling wine, with Cap Classique producers universally embracing the story that Simonsig’s first vintage of Kaapse Vonkel (1971) marks the birth of this very effervescent category.

[winemag.co.za]

John

How Lapostolle is putting Apalta on the fine wine map
06 August 2021 10:29
How Lapostolle is putting Apalta on the fine wine map

With a new planting project, along with the launch of a top-end Cabernet, Chile’s Casa Lapostolle wants to make Apalta a world-famous fine wine region.

John

Re: How Lapostolle is putting Apalta on the fine wine map
06 August 2021 10:31
The great contradiction of Chile’s desert vineyard

11 years on from Ventisquero’s first plantings in the arid Huasco region of the Atacama desert, Sarah Neish discovers why it’s the only desert in the world where its inhabitants don’t want it to rain.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen