Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
How old vines are a key part of Stellenbosch’s future
27 September 2022 13:15
How old vines are a key part of Stellenbosch’s future

However much Stellenbosch wants to look forward, its future also lies in its past and the traditions and knowhow that enable so many of the innovations taking place in the region to happen. None more so than in the role of old vines in helping winemakers rediscover, and bring back to life varieties and plots of land that have gone unloved for many years. In the latest article from The Buyer’s Stellenbosch Business Report, Richard Siddle assesses just what impact old vines are having on modern winemaking in Stellenbosch.

[www.the-buyer.net]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
CapeWine 2022 kicks off with sustainability in mind
08 October 2022 09:53
CapeWine 2022 kicks off with sustainability in mind

Today marks the beginning of CapeWine 2022, South Africa’s annual wine trade fair, with an opening statement from Siobhan Thompson, CEO of Wines of South Africa (WoSA), putting the focus on sustainability.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

South African winemakers foreground quality in breaking into canned wine
10 October 2022 17:36
South African winemakers foreground quality in breaking into canned wine

Canned wine is seeing slow but steady growth in South Africa, but winemakers championing alternative formats are focusing on quality in order to convert domestic consumers.

John

Archaeologists discover mural of Aztec god of alcohol in Mexican convent
18 October 2022 13:17
Archaeologists discover mural of Aztec god of alcohol in Mexican convent

Archaeologists believe the pre-Columbian wall drawing of a god wearing a feathered headdress likely depicts Tepoztēcatl, the god of pulque[/b]

[www.theartnewspaper.com]

John

1 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 18/10/2022 13:19 door JohnCopier.
South African Wineries Focus on Sustainability at CapeWine
02 November 2022 13:14
South African Wineries Focus on Sustainability at CapeWine

Following the cancellation of the last CapeWine because of the pandemic, it has been four years since the last event. The South African wine industry's leading trade show reveals the dynamism of the sector. In 2022, sustainability was the main theme of the show as well as its seminars and tasting zones. Clemens Gerke reports.

[www.wine-business-international.com]

John

Fresh thinking: high-altitude Malbec in Mendoza
09 November 2022 13:54
Fresh thinking: high-altitude Malbec in Mendoza

Terrazas de los Andes founder and director Hervé Birnie-Scott tells db about how his pursuit of making a fresher style of Malbec in Mendoza pushes him to higher and higher altitudes.

John

TOP 100 WINES OF NEW ZEALAND 2022
24 November 2022 18:23
TOP 100 WINES OF NEW ZEALAND 2022

It would have been easy for New Zealand to rest on its laurels from last year, when it was awarded our Top Wine of the World. Instead, the overachieving wine country looked ahead with renewed vigor and churned out a slew of even more amazing bottles to take the Top 100 Wines of New Zealand 2022 to another level, lending more credence to the argument that the country has found its place on the global stage of great wine.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

The wines emerging from Argentina’s Cordoba
06 December 2022 18:29
The wines emerging from Argentina’s Cordoba

Ask anyone about Argentinian wine and you can be sure to hear about the calibre of the Malbec or the skilled winemaking coming out of Mendoza. But those in-the-know are wise to the fact that Cordoba is now home to some of the most exciting winemaking destinations in all of Argentina.

John

TOP 100 WINES OF SOUTH AFRICA 2022
23 December 2022 12:57
TOP 100 WINES OF SOUTH AFRICA 2022

The JamesSuckling.com tasting team rated more than 800 South African wines this year, and it’s fair to say that chenin blanc outperformed all the amazing varieties popping up across the country. In fact, South Africa is turning into a great white wine producer overall, and is perhaps even better with modern chenin blanc than the holy grail for the grape, France’s Loire Valley.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

TOP 100 WINES OF THE USA 2022
23 December 2022 13:11
TOP 100 WINES OF THE USA 2022

You are going to really enjoy the diversity found on this year’s list of our Top 100 Wines of the USA 2022. We rated more than 4,500 wines from the states this year and we found so many exciting and excellent wines. It was the same with the more than 32,000 wines we rated this year from around the world.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

TOP 100 WINES OF CHILE 2022
23 December 2022 13:13
TOP 100 WINES OF CHILE 2022

Our Top 100 Wines of Chile 2022 list is loaded with newly released bottles from the 2019 and 2020 vintages, but it’s the more challenging 2020 that gave us our top pick despite the drought, heat spikes and COVID outbreak of that year. The fresh, coastal Errázuriz Chardonnay Aconcagua Costa Las Pizarras 2020 is our Wine of the Year – the first time a chardonnay has taken the top honor for Chile.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

South Africa
03 January 2023 14:19
South Africa

In 1990, two momentous events changed South Africa in ways that are still being felt today: Nelson Mandela was released from his prison on Robben Island, setting a new course for the beleaguered nation and Apartheid was abolished, freeing the people from its grip and opening the country's economy.

[www.geralddboydonwine.com]

John

Syrah or Shiraz? A Tell-All About the Popular Grape
17 January 2023 11:25
Syrah or Shiraz? A Tell-All About the Popular Grape

As the fourth most planted red grape in the world and the third most planted red grape variety in France, Syrah or Shiraz (depending on location, style, and type) possesses vibrant dark skin with an excellent full-bodied roughness. While its origins remain open to interpretation, several different theories exist. Though Syrah dates back to 13th century Rhone Valley, France, Phocaeans (inhabitants of the titular ancient Greek city off the coast of modern-day Turkey) may have brought it over from Shiraz, Persia, in 600 BCE. Another theory states that the Romans brought the grape from Sicily sometime during the 3rd century. Wherever Syrah came from, it spans the globe, including Argentina, Chile, South Africa, and New Zealand. Syrah grows on approximately 470,000 acres worldwide, with France, Australia, and Spain being the most prominent producers.[/b]

[grapecollective.com]

John

Army of pest-munching ducks keep South African vineyard blooming
17 January 2023 11:38
Army of pest-munching ducks keep South African vineyard blooming

STELLENBOSCH, South Africa, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Flocks of white, black and brown ducks hunt for snails and bugs as they patrol the grapevines at a vineyard in South Africa's winemaking town of Stellenbosch, helping the owners steer clear of pesticides and synthetic fertilisers.

[www.reuters.com]

John

Boekenhoutskloof foregrounds ‘Old World influence’ over distinctly South African style
06 February 2023 14:01
Boekenhoutskloof foregrounds ‘Old World influence’ over distinctly South African style

Marc Kent, managing partner and technical director at Boekenhoutskloof, says an “Old World angle to winemaking” is to thank for the South African producer’s decades-long success.

John

Brazil’s Altos de Pinto Bandeira becomes first DO exclusively for sparkling wines in the New World
06 February 2023 14:11
Brazil’s Altos de Pinto Bandeira becomes first DO exclusively for sparkling wines in the New World

The groundbreaking new DO, which took 10 years to achieve, sets the standard for quality production of Brazilian sparkling wines.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Wildfires in Chile Threaten Communities, Destroy Generations-Old Vineyards
23 February 2023 13:30
Wildfires in Chile Threaten Communities, Destroy Generations-Old Vineyards

Hundreds of brutal wildfires in Chile are causing widespread damage to communities in the central and southern regions of the country.[/b]

[vinepair.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen