Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Nieuwe wereld

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Re: Eben Sadie tops poll to be voted number one in South African winemaking industry.
16 November 2018 13:26
Zomaar een lijstje. Mag je mee thuiskomen.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Platter’s 2019
06 November 2018 13:55
Platter’s by Diners Club South African Wine Guide 2019 has just been launched. A total of 90 wines achieved the maximum Five Star rating in the new edition – all wines that scored 93 points or higher in the primary assessment (over 600) went into a second round of tasting, conducted blind by small panels including experienced palates from outside the team. Wines are required to score 95 or more on the 100-point quality scale to obtain 5-Star status,

Major achievers were as followers:

Newcomer Winery of the Year (best results as a first-time participant in the guide): Erika Obermeyer Wines

Top Performing Winery of the Year: Mullineux
Editor’s Award: Newton Johnson Vineyards

[winemag.co.za]

John

Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction 2018 sales figures.
30 September 2018 13:48
Total sales amounted to R10 593 760 at the 34th Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction held yesterday, 2 012 cases (6 x 750ml equivalent) sold at an average price R5 265 case and an average price per bottle of R878. This compares to last year’s sales of R13 223 200 for 2 962 cases, average price per case being R4 464 (average price per bottle: R744).

[winemag.co.za]

John

Arbeidsmigratie op de wijn- en fruitplantages in Zuid-Afrika.
06 July 2018 11:44
Geen best beeld van Zuid-Afrika.

[www.dewereldmorgen.be]

John

Zuid Afrikaanse wijn wordt stukken duurder.
08 May 2018 06:21
De droogte in het zuiden van Zuid Afrika is niet alleen vervelend voor mensen, maar ook voor gewassen.

[www.msn.com]

John

Harold Hamersma over Mullineux White in NRC
26 March 2018 17:11
NRC heb ik over dit onderwerp nog niet gelezen.

[www.winematters.eu]

John

Kaapstad zet zich schrap voor totale droogval.
26 January 2018 13:47
Dit ziet er heel slecht uit.

[www.trouw.nl]

John

Re: Kaapstad zet zich schrap voor totale droogval.
26 January 2018 14:45
Lees in een oud Volkskrant artikel dat in Israël ontziltingsinstallaties het land van zoet water voorzien.
Een kuub water kost 40 cent en dat is dus nog goedkoper als hier.
Waarom zijn ze in Kaapstad dit probleem niet een stap voor en bouwen zo’n installatie?

1 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 26/01/2018 14:45 door RobertKoopman.
26 January 2018 14:56
Daar heb je morgen weinig aan. Die beslissing had jaren geleden genomen moeten worden. Jaren geleden zag de wereld er in Kaapstad waarschijnlijk anders uit.

John

26 January 2018 15:24
Ze hebben al drie jaar droogte.
En zo’n fabriek op zonne-energie moet daar wel lukken
26 January 2018 16:12
Het eerste jaar doe je niets. Het tweede jaar komen de zorgen en het derde jaar is te laat. Een fabriek neerzetten zal ook wel tijd in beslag nemen. Niets doen is geen optie.

John

26 January 2018 17:47
Cape Town’s water shortage crisis is threatening South Africa’s wine harvest.

[qz.com]

John

SA Wine History: Napoleon’s favourite Cape wine – and did it kill him?
27 February 2019 19:14
‘Napoleon really didn’t enjoy himself on St Helena but [the Constantia wine] helped a bit,’ said Lisa Honan, Her Excellency the Governor of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, at Groot Constantia last week.

[winemag.co.za]

John

South Africa's winegrowers struggle against droughts and low prices
19 September 2019 13:50
Cheap image, flagging economy, few exports: South Africa's winegrowers are struggling with many obstacles. There is also a major issue over water.

[www.dw.com]

John

Michael Fridjhon: Commodity versus terroir wine
26 September 2019 12:55
It’s not difficult to make good wine: other than a reasonable winery and a degree of technical competence, all that you need are plentiful supplies of healthy grapes. Not tiny bunches with tiny berries harvested from ancient vines growing in obscure sites mid-way up steep slopes – just healthy wine grapes from any number of tried and tested varieties, competently farmed and fit for purpose. There are also plenty of places where suitable grapes can be farmed: all you need are ample supplies of water, reasonable sunlight, and a temperate climate. Torrential rain, high humidity, gale force winds are all weather conditions to be avoided.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Farm Workers Paying the Price for Cheap South African Wine
09 September 2019 17:42
SOUTH AFRICA, Sep 9 2019 (IPS) - Systembolaget, the Swedish government-owned alcohol monopoly, promises fair conditions – but it also uses its purchasing power to put a downward pressure on prices. At the major South African wine producer Leeuwenkuil, workers suffer as the company tries to cut costs. So far, none of the South African suppliers have been stopped due to violations against Systembolaget’s code of conduct.

[www.ipsnews.net]

John

Cape Wine Masters Look at the Changing Face of Bordeaux
28 August 2019 17:11
A proposal to allow new grape varieties into Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur appellation vineyards passed a key winemaker vote in July, and has some wine followers concerned that the world’s most famous wine region is selling its soul.

[news.wine.co.za]

John

Ntsiki Biyela: First Lady of South African Wine
01 July 2019 17:27
Every now and then you get an invitation to do something you just can’t say no to. The chance to interview the award winning Ntsiki Biyela of Aslina Wines, who has the distinction of being the first black woman winemaker in South Africa, was just such a situation: irresistible. How could anyone pass up that privilege?

[grapecollective.com]

John

Revealed: Where wine is cheapest – and most expensive – in South Africa
30 May 2019 18:45
A good wine in South Africa doesn't have to cost a pretty penny. Well, perhaps in some places it does. Here's what the good stuff costs across the country.

[www.thesouthafrican.com]

John

Michael Fridjhon: What do top-end wine prices really tell us?
18 May 2019 13:23
It should be evident – from the flurry of articles about wine pricing – that my current soap-box issue is the concept of value (perceived or otherwise). Partly this arises from the industry’s necessary obsession about under-pricing – the cancer which has seen a frightening attrition of Coastal Region vineyard. The other side of the coin, however, involves asking the opposite question – what has happened to make us so inured to high prices?

[winemag.co.za]

John

Michael Fridjhon: What’s really going on in SA wine
16 January 2019 18:33
The drought years have – officially at least – given the wine industry cause for pause, to take stock of itself, and its probable future. For much of the past 18 months we’ve been told that unless grape prices increase, we’ll lose so many growers that the industry itself will shrink to the point that it will no longer have critical mass. The stats are real enough: in 2001 there were 4390 of them: 15 years later their numbers were 30% less (probably fewer than 3100 at the end of last year). At the same time the national vineyard has shrunk by just over 10%, from 106 000 hectares to 95 000.

Het zit dus goed fout. Wanneer je het weet kan je er ook iets aan doen.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Re: Michael Fridjhon: What’s really going on in SA wine
17 January 2019 12:57
Bestaat daar geen enkele vorm van AOP?
17 January 2019 13:15
Hmm, ik zou het niet weten. Overigens denk ik dat de Zuid-Afrikanen elke vorm van bemoeienis zal afwijzen.

John

17 January 2019 13:43
Bemoeienis? Kunnen ze toch ook zelf regelen. Meer wijn uit steeds minder hectaren.
19 January 2019 13:39
South Africa must ‘wake up’ and stop selling bulk wine cheaper than water, VinPro boss says.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Tim James: The old matter of wine scores versus notes
25 November 2019 18:05
The old, classic questions and problems keep on returning – as they must until a new reality renders them redundant (hard to imagine in the case I’m thinking of). I suppose that’s partly what “classic” means here, and I also suppose that each time the question is aired there will be someone to whom it is new – while the old hacks can scarcely keep down a yawn.

[winemag.co.za]

John

DO OLD VINES MATTER?
25 November 2019 18:23
I once found myself staring at a grenache vineyard in the southern Rhône Valley, along with a young California winemaker and a famous French winemaker. The latter was showing us the old vineyard that had produced the extraordinary wine we had just drunk. The Californian explained with great enthusiasm that he had recently planted grenache in California and couldn’t wait to taste the wine that would come from it. The Frenchman smiled and said, “I’m sure it will be great,” adding, “in 80 years.”

[winespeed.com]

John

Tim James: Cooperation in the wine industry, for good and ill
09 September 2019 17:45
I was recently privileged to be a guest at one of the amazing tastings that the Cape Winemakers Guild members reguarly put on for each other – in this case the stupendously well-informed and well-prepared Andrea Mulllineux’s flights of Brunello di Montalcino (finishing with four Biond-Santis, 2011 back to 1964). The wines were brilliant, but I was also struck by the sense of camaraderie and wine-excitement now that CWG membership is growing palpably younger and less fixed in the Stellenbosch heartland (there were some candidate members attending who made these shifts even more noticeable). Amongst most of the members, I should say – a couple didn’t seem to pay much attention to the wines or anyone beyond their comfortable coterie.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Tim James: The fascination of field blends
11 May 2019 12:14
There’s a wine in Tremayne Smith’s The Blacksmith range called, rather alarmingly, These Old Bones. It’s a truly complex, exciting and lovely wine, the one I most enjoyed and admired at a recent tasting of Blacksmith new releases (including the Four Horsemen wines which I wrote about last week). All in this range of naturally made, fresh, textured and vital wines are highly recommendable, but I keep on getting sidetracked into detail before I can write generally about them. This time by These Old Bones, and especially the Paarl vineyard that produces it. Availability details first: Just 850 bottles of the 2018 were made and should sell for closer to R300 than R200 – and worth every cent – but I’m not sure from where; it’s not even yet listed on the website of the distributor, Publik.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Tim James: The rise of wine speculation in South Africa
15 April 2019 17:38
The most obvious link between wine and art is not an aesthetic one, sadly, but a shared tangle of love, sensual enjoyment and money. In both cases there are producers and consumers (and dealers) seeking involvement with something that moves them greatly, both spiritually and sensually. In both cases there are those looking to profit. And it’s a tangle, as I say.

[winemag.co.za]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen