Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Colour, Temperature smell and quality of the wine, Balance of the wine.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Phenolic matrix effect on aroma formation of terpenes during simulated wine fermentation – Part I: Phenolic acids
01 February 2021 18:46
Phenolic matrix effect on aroma formation of terpenes during simulated wine fermentation – Part I: Phenolic acids

There are more than 1000 volatile components in wine, contributing to aroma. And it has been proved that non-volatile substances of wine, such as polyphenols, polysaccharides and proteins have large influence on the release and perception of aroma compounds, which is called matrix effect.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
If Your Spouse Smells Wrong, What Do We Learn?
15 February 2021 18:18
If Your Spouse Smells Wrong, What Do We Learn?

The spread of SARS-CoV-2 has caused an associated pandemic of anosmia, the loss of smell. That could lead to scientific breakthroughs.

[www.bloomberg.com]

John

The ideal temperature for your wine is probably not what you think
22 February 2021 18:21
The ideal temperature for your wine is probably not what you think

Room temperature is cooler than you think; chilled doesn’t mean straight-from-the-fridge

[www.washingtonpost.com]

John

The pigments responsible for a wine’s colour also change its flavour
12 March 2021 10:15
The pigments responsible for a wine’s colour also change its flavour

Anthocyanins not only give wine its colour, they also change its flavour. That is according to Maria Alessandra Paissoni, from the University of Turin, speaking at the latest Enoforum session on winemaking.

As part of her PhD, the Italian researcher began by extracting all the anthocyanins from a Barbera and a Nebbiolo vinted in 2015. “Then I divided them into three groups according to their level of acetylation, glucoside, acetyl-glucoside, or coumaroyl-glucoside” she explained. She then put each fraction in the presence of salivary proteins. “The higher the acetylation level, the more the anthocyanins precipitated them”, she said. Paissoni organised sensory analysis sessions with trained students from the Bordeaux Institute of Vine and Wine Sciences.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

A Good Nose: Can Dogs Detect Wine-Tainting Molecules?
12 March 2021 10:21
A Good Nose: Can Dogs Detect Wine-Tainting Molecules?

International vintners depend on dogs to find wine-tainting molecules

Alejandro Fantoni Sr. was waiting in an airport security line when one of the detection dogs caught his attention. Fantoni struck up a conversation with the handler.

“[My dad] started talking with the trainer of the dog, asking, ‘Can you train dogs to detect any kind of aroma or different scents at a very low concentration?’ and the guy said yes, it was possible,” says Alejandro Fantoni Jr.

Based on the conversation, the elder Fantoni decided to start a first-of-its-kind dog detection program at TN Coopers, a Chile-based cooperage that makes handcrafted wooden barrels for international winemakers.

[www.akc.org]

John

International Organization of Vine and Wine (OIV) Officially Incorporates NMR Method in Compendium of International Methods of Analysis of Wines and Musts

ETTLINGEN, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy has been incorporated by the intergovernmental and International Organization of Vine and Wine (OIV) in its compendium of International Methods of Analysis of Wines and Musts, for the quantification of six key parameters in wine – glucose, malic acid, acetic acid, fumaric acid, shikimic acid and sorbic acid.

[www.businesswire.com]

John

The Other Aromas of Winemaking
18 May 2021 16:55
The Other Aromas of Winemaking

The harmonious blend of sweet fruit and spicy oak isn't the only bouquet associated with winemaking.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Liking plus coolness – what makes a wine great
12 July 2021 17:09
Liking plus coolness – what makes a wine great

Why are some wines so hotly sought after? Which bottles do you go ‘wow’ at, when someone pulls them out at a wine dinner? Why are some wines almost mythical in their reputation, while others equally well scored in blind tastings never in that peer group?

[wineanorak.com]

John

What’s the Right Temperature for Your Wine? (Video)
27 July 2021 16:32
What’s the Right Temperature for Your Wine? (Video)

Part of relaxing at the cottage is often enjoying a glass of wine on the deck or the dock, but which wines, and how do we keep them cool when temperature soars?

That’s what we chat about on Global Television’s Morning Show.

[www.nataliemaclean.com]

John

Handling wine pomace: The importance of drying to preserve phenolic profile and antioxidant capacity for product valorization

The wine industry and valorization of wine pomace

Like other industries, winemaking produces waste. Wine pomace (WP), composed of stems, seeds and skins of grapes, is the main solid organic by-product and it represents approximately 25% of total grape weight used in the winemaking process 1. WP is commonly valorized for the production of distilled spirits (e.g. Grappa), tartaric acid, and animal feed 2,3. Still, the most common practice is to use it for composting and agriculture spreading, which comes with environmental drawbacks. WP is rich in phenolic compounds, which are slightly acidic molecules but in high volumes and concentrations they lower the pH of the soil and increase oxygen demand in ecosystems 1,2. Phenols are also known for their antioxidant capacity and are associated with the prevention of certain chronic diseases 4,5. As such, there is an economic opportunity for valorization in the fields of health and nutraceuticals as the consumers’ demand for bio-sourced products is on the rise.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Can We Taste Colour?
18 August 2021 17:26
Can We Taste Colour?

It is probably safe, at this distance in time, to confess. The PR who organised it is dead; those at Rémy Martin will have moved onwards, upwards, outwards. It was, in any case, not very important.

[timatkin.com]

John

Pre-veraison and veraison canopy management in the vineyard
18 August 2021 17:30
Pre-veraison and veraison canopy management in the vineyard

EAST LANSING, MI. – In cool climate viticulture with short seasons and reduced heat accumulation during summer, careful and timely viticultural practices are essential for maximizing the profitability and sustainability of your vineyards.

[eu.farmersadvance.com]

John

FARMING WINEGRAPES FOR AROMA, FLAVOR, & COLORS
25 August 2021 13:32
FARMING WINEGRAPES FOR AROMA, FLAVOR, & COLORS

For many wine drinkers, the most important characteristic of a wine is its flavor. While sugar (sweetness and alcohol strength), acidity (tartness), and color related compounds (astringency and bitterness) in grapes contribute to wine flavor, the taste characteristics most unique to a specific wine are usually associated with distinct aromas. We humans can sense and distinguish minute amounts of the volatile compounds contributing to the bouquet of a wine.

[www.lodigrowers.com]

John

WHY WINE MOVES US
27 September 2021 17:10
WHY WINE MOVES US

I’ve always been very aware of the number of variables attached to any wine by the time it reaches the bottle. Sunshine hours, aspect, viticultural intervention, water supply, the natural variation attached to an individual fleck of soil, yeast choice, atmospheric composition of the cellar, warehouse, vineyard, etc. As I start to make my list of variables, hundreds more flood to my mind. Yeast, fermenter temperature, fermenter shape, the role mother nature plays in the seasoning of a stave, cork, and well…maybe the winemaker’s mood is somehow even reflected in the task at hand on any given day.

[winespeed.com]

John

A minefield of wine adjectives
01 October 2021 12:12
A minefield of wine adjectives

How many adjectives can be reasonably applied to the bouquet of a glass of wine?

[www.therealreview.com]

John

UMAMI, CINQUIÈME SAVEUR ?
09 February 2022 18:14
UMAMI, CINQUIÈME SAVEUR ?

C’est ce que répondent régulièrement certains visiteurs en atelier de dégustation quand on aborde les goûts essentiels – salé, sucré, acide et amer. Invariablement quelqu’un me dit, « vous oubliez umami ». Ce n’est pas un oubli, mais n’étant pas de culture Japonaise, je ne connais pas cette saveur. Désormais je la connais ! En septembre dernier j’ai rencontré Takayuki Kaneko, Nez Japonais, inscrit au D.U.A.D. à Bordeaux, et participant aux vendanges au Château Bardins. Je lui ai demandé de m’initier au goût UMAMI, il a organisé un atelier de dégustation, une très chouette expérience qui me permet maintenant de vous parler de cette 5ème saveur.

[www.degustation-bordeaux.fr]

John

The Colours Of Infinity
16 February 2022 18:43
The Colours Of Infinity

It’s your turn to say something insightful. Quietness implies thoughtfulness, but silence just seems like disinterest. So, you think, it tastes…apple-y. Not Russet apples, nor Coxes, nor Golden Delicious. More like every apple and no apple, stewed and fresh and dried and baked all at once, dissolving into other flavours at fluid boundaries…but, “mm, appley” is just too banal to blurt out at a Fine Wine dinner, isn’t it? It would be like staring at Miró and saying,”nice shapes!”. The tasting notes you hurriedly google on your trip to the bathroom rattle off lists of descriptors such as “wafts of black cardamom and beaten copper”, and the oeno-bingo-lingo greatest hits – minerality, salinity, energy – have all been wheeled out already. No matter which primitive linguistic spears you throw at the glass, they just bounce off, falling to the ground with a dull thud.

[timatkin.com]

John

HOW DO YOU MEASURE WINE QUALITY IN AN APPELLATION OVER TIME?
03 March 2022 13:54
HOW DO YOU MEASURE WINE QUALITY IN AN APPELLATION OVER TIME?

How do you assess how an appellation is doing in its pursuit of higher wine quality? For an individual wine we can use critics’ scores. For an appellation, an AVA, or a state, or some other geographic entity this approach excludes most states in the United States, as major critics confine their attention to California, Oregon, and Washington, with maybe an occasional mention of others.

[www.thechalkreport.com]

John

How I Overcame My Battle With Red Wine Teeth
07 March 2022 18:03
How I Overcame My Battle With Red Wine Teeth

After stained teeth ruined a photo, one man went on a mission to find out why

[www.pix.wine]

John

Is This Too Cool?
07 March 2022 18:16
Is This Too Cool?

Bisol tests the limits in Europe’s highest vineyard in ultrachic Cortina d’Ampezzo

[www.winespectator.com]

John

There’s ripeness … and then there’s ripeness
09 March 2022 17:58
There’s ripeness … and then there’s ripeness

Inspired by a recent trip to California, Benjamin Lewin MW explores the ways in which winemakers assess ripeness, and the competing ideas of what constitutes a truly ripe grape.

Ripeness is a moving target. First, it was simply sugar levels; once grapes reached somewhere around 22 Brix (12% potential alcohol), it was time to harvest. This did not work so badly in cool conditions, because by the time the grapes reached 22 Brix, they were ripe (or at least, as ripe as they were going to get). In the present warmer conditions produced by climate change, this does not work so well; sugar accumulates more quickly, and it’s common enough to exceed the old limits for Brix well before the grapes are ripe. Enter the new criterion of phenolic ripeness.

[worldoffinewine.com]

John

What Does ‘Juicy’ Mean in Wine?
16 March 2022 18:32
What Does ‘Juicy’ Mean in Wine?

In most circumstances, juice is associated with fruity sweetness. The same isn’t true in wine.

“Juicy is more of a note that describes the presence of fruit flavors in the wine,” says Aamira Garba, CEO and winemaker of LoveLee Wine. “Sweetness is solely based on sugar content, not fruit flavors.”

[www.winemag.com]

John

Scientist who unlocked secrets behind wine tasting and flavour hangs up coat
18 March 2022 18:13
Scientist who unlocked secrets behind wine tasting and flavour hangs up coat

I first met Wendy Parr when she and her husband, ecologist Philip Simpson, had a tiny, very special one hectare vineyard on their piece of paradise high on the limestone hills above Port Tarakohe in Golden Bay.

The last commercial production of Parr & Simpson wines was in 2015. Wendy and Philip had developed international reputations for their research work and they simply didn’t have enough time to make wine too.

Now Wendy has decided it’s time to hang up her wine research coat too.

Philip is a highly respected botanist and has had a number of books published. He is considered the authority on our native cabbage tree, while Wendy, who has a PhD in psychology, was working in the areas of memory and decision making, and becoming more and more interested in wine and wine tasting.

She was intrigued by “what kind of memories do these people have to be able to taste a wine and say Chateau such and such from 1964 or something similar” and started thinking about the tasting process from a scientific point of view.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

John

Scientists have revealed the world’s most universally-loved smell
08 April 2022 17:09
Scientists have revealed the world’s most universally-loved smell

New research has revealed the most universally-loved smell in the world, and it’s an aroma that oenophiles will be well used to detecting in their wine.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Die richtige Trinktemperatur: nicht zu kalt, aber auf keinen Fall zu warm
12 April 2022 17:01
Die richtige Trinktemperatur: nicht zu kalt, aber auf keinen Fall zu warm

Wein ist ein empfindliches Produkt. Er muss richtig gelagert und richtig temperiert sein, der der Weintrinker in den vollen Genuß kommt

[www.weinkenner.de]

John

A new (or is it old?) definition of wine balance
15 April 2022 17:45
A new (or is it old?) definition of wine balance

A wine can be described as "balanced" when all its sensory qualities are in harmony, without excess of one element or another. That is to say: Acidity is balanced when a wine is neither too puckery nor so soft that it lacks freshness or crispness. Tannin is balanced when the wine is not unpleasantly bitter or astringent. Body is in balance when alcohol does not taste harsh or hot. Aromatic qualities — such as oak, herbiness or fruitiness — are all subjective to a beholder's ability to perceive them, which depends upon the volume of a person's "taste memory," as the late Michael Broadbent MW famously put it.

[www.lodiwine.com]-

John

Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: Questioning the 100-point scale
10 May 2022 17:42
Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: Questioning the 100-point scale

I've long felt that evaluating wines on a 100-point scale is an illogical experiment of attaching a subjective and individual opinion to what appears as an objective numerical value. The logic espoused by the ardent supporters of the system has always been that it’s an easily understood consumer concept that directly relates to the manner in which our school tests were graded.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

How Upcycled Wine Waste Can Be A Flavor Enhancer
06 July 2022 16:49
How Upcycled Wine Waste Can Be A Flavor Enhancer

In the same way the sky is blue, it's a fact that Americans love wine. According to Forbes, Americans spent $14.4 billion on wine through March 2018 to 2019. Among the most popular are chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, and pinot grigio.

[www.mashed.com]

John

Taste and Aroma Components of Wines
12 July 2022 11:59

Recordings of the webinar organised by the Chair Denis Dubourdieu

The webinar has been organized by the Chair Denis Dubourdieu "Taste and Aroma Components of Wines" in collaboration with Infowine. The recordings of all the presentations are available at the bottom of this page.

[www.infowine.com]

John

What Is Low Alcohol Wine?
14 July 2022 17:12
What Is Low Alcohol Wine?

Learn what makes a wine low ABV and how to choose the best bottle

[pix.wine]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen