Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Colour, Temperature smell and quality of the wine, Balance of the wine.

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Colour, Temperature smell and quality of the wine, Balance of the wine.
27 November 2019 18:49
Temperature effect on wine quality

IOF2020 Project presentations at Enoforum

In the following video registered during the scientific congress for wine sector Enoforum which brought together 1200 peoples in May 2019 (https://www.enoforum.eu/), Stefano Ferrari from ISVEA, a company specialized in analytical services in the wine making field (http://www.isvea.it/?lang=en) explains us what is the storage and transportation temperature effect on wine quality.

[www.infowine.com]#

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.

5 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 22/04/2022 17:53 door JohnCopier.
Wine storage temperatures
10 September 2019 17:20
Modest differences in storage temperature can have a significant impact on the chemistry, and consequently development and shelf life, of a wine.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Température de service des vins
01 July 2019 17:46
Restaurateurs, Cavistes et Gourmands, voici un article qui vous sera précieux ! Les Grappes vous indiquent à quelle température servir vos vins. Voilà de quoi perfectionner votre service, et de quoi profiter de toutes les qualités du vin. En effet la température de service est une donnée importante puisque la température idéale d’un vin est celle qui permet de révéler toutes ses saveurs et ainsi de lui faire honneur !

[lesgrappes.leparisien.fr]

John

Is There A “Correct” Temperature For Wines?
20 December 2019 13:56
Is There A “Correct” Temperature For Wines?

Among the many myths about wine service, which include sniffing the cork, using a particular glass for a particular wine and decanting this year’s vintage, the idea that there is a “correct” temperature at which a wine should be served is largely bogus. For outside of suggesting a white wine is preferably served cool and a red wine not too warm, the parameters for what is right and wrong meld somewhere around 65 degrees F.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Heat is a killer
14 January 2020 13:00
Heat is a killer

A wine company rep called by recently with a sample. When she handed the bottle over it was hot to touch. She confessed that it had been in the boot of her car all day and had possibly heated up to over 40°C.

[www.therealreview.com]

John

Six curious facts about smell
14 January 2020 18:25
Six curious facts about smell

Don’t underestimate the power of your nose. It makes our everyday eating experience pleasant and interesting and it warns us of spoiled food, corked wine and the dangers of gas and smoke. It evokes strong emotional reactions, influences sexual attraction and can be used as a sensitive analytical instrument.

[theconversation.com]

John

Using Internal Visual to Calibrate the Structure in Wine
14 January 2020 18:28
Using Internal Visual to Calibrate the Structure in Wine

A belated Happy New Year to everyone! I hope the holidays provided some much-deserved quality time off with family, friends, and most of all solo down time. This is the time of year when people tend to make resolutions about various things including health, saving, being on time, etc. However, I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. In the past I’ve found that any resolutions I make are quickly forgotten after, causing needless pseudo-guilt and moments of almost sort-of pretending to feel bad.

[www.timgaiser.com]

John

Smoke taint watch – Tuesday 21/01/20
21 January 2020 17:56
Smoke taint watch – Tuesday 21/01/20

On the back of Friday’s article, news filtered through today from another well-known Hunter Valley winery will be declassifying some juice this year, with the results of some micro-ferments producing wines with notable smoke taint characters.

[www.ozwinereview.com]

John

A study identifies 17 key compounds in wine aromas
04 February 2020 15:57
A study identifies 17 key compounds in wine aromas

Maybe words such as ethyl butanoate and octalactone sound unfamiliar to most people who drink wine. However, these substances are some of the ones that give this popular drink its own scent. A recent piece of research published by the University of Cordoba and the Gheorghe Asachi Technical University in Romania identified a total of 17 key compounds in the aroma of red wine, made from a red grape variety harvested in the wine region in northeast Romania.

[www.eurekalert.org]

John

Minerality in wine: from the ground up
04 February 2020 16:01
Minerality in wine: from the ground up

Dr. Jamie Goode notes that as a descriptor, minerality didn’t crop up in the wine industries lexicon until at least the mid-to-late 80s. In a recent Decanter article Prof. Alex Maltman recalled writing his first piece on the topic a little over 15 years ago. Maltman posits the term to be of ‘pragmatic usefulness’ despite there being no clear consensus on what it actually means. We wine-lovers are relentless in our indulgent pursuit of translating perception and sensation of wine in to sometimes overly simplistic terminology. Vast may our parlance be, minerality is arguably amongst the most ubiquitous of its terms. Why is the topic so challenging? Is it helpful? What do we know about it? In this piece I will explore the research and piece together my thoughts.

[wordonthegrapevine.co.uk]

John

An example of why smelling a wine cork matters
07 February 2020 18:31
An example of why smelling a wine cork matters

Recently I wrote about the importance of smelling the cork when opening a bottle of wine. The argument goes that it gives another opportunity to pick up cork taint – a contaminant, such as trichloroanisole (TCA), that ruins wines and can alternately make them smell or taste muted or, at higher levels, like a moldy basement.

[www.wawinereport.com]

John

Brettanomyces bruxellensis wine isolates show high geographical dispersal and long persistence in cellars
08 February 2020 13:58
Brettanomyces bruxellensis wine isolates show high geographical dispersal and long persistence in cellars

Abstract

Brettanomyces bruxellensis is the main wine spoiler yeast all over the world, yet the structure of the populations associated with winemaking remains elusive. In this work, we considered 1411 wine isolates from 21 countries that were genotyped using twelve microsatellite markers.

[journals.plos.org]

John

The Latest on the Flavor Pairing Saga
12 February 2020 18:30
The Latest on the Flavor Pairing Saga

Back in the 2000s data scientists began crunchy large data sets of recipes searching for the secret behind why certain flavor combinations work. Chefs were excited with the discovery that recipes tend to be built around ingredients that shared flavor compounds. That discovery helped chefs find unusual pairing combinations such as chocolate and blue cheese that really worked.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Re: The Latest on the Flavor Pairing Saga
12 February 2020 18:32
Malolactic Fermentation in Reds Wines – Best Explanation Ever

Winemaker Patrick Melley of Russian Hill Estate Winery just answered this question of Malolactic Fermentation. And for wine beginners (or intermediates, like me), this doesn’t get any better. As one of our clients, I get to edit for the winery on occasion. This was one of those times, but only on the technical business writing side for this one. not for winemaking.

[www.wine-blog.org]

John

Frozen leaves cause unusual taste in red wine
21 February 2020 12:52
Frozen leaves cause unusual taste in red wine

Winemakers, producers can avoid floral taste, smell in red wine by harvesting grapes earlier

Nieuw voor mij. Nooit te oud om te leren.

[dailyevergreen.com]

John

Thinking about Objectivity and Wine Tasting
21 February 2020 12:48
Thinking about Objectivity and Wine Tasting

Although the belief that wine tasting is subjective is common even among wine professionals, no one in the wine industry really believes it.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Sparkling wine has ‘more flavours’ when tirage performed under cork, says scientist
20 March 2020 17:48
Sparkling wine has ‘more flavours’ when tirage performed under cork, says scientist

A five-year scientific study by Amorim has revealed that traditional method sparkling wine that undergoes tirage – second fermentation – under cork is “more open, with more flavours”.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

A Guide to Wine Phenolics
31 March 2020 12:10
A Guide to Wine Phenolics

In a 1991 segment of 60 Minutes, America was introduced to the now well-known “French Paradox,” the observation that the French have low rates of heart disease despite their rich diet. At the end of the show, with glass in hand, host Morley Safer left the audience with an enticing message: “The answer to the riddle, the explanation of the paradox, may lie in this inviting glass.”

[www.guildsomm.com]

John

The Sense of Smelling
18 May 2020 17:22
The Sense of Smelling

Wine is all about smell and taste. Wine professionals are always sniffing and sampling and perhaps that might also be the reason why they are more alert to their loss of smell during Covid-19. Some even suggest that anosmia tells us more about our Covid-19 status than a thermometer!

[www.heinonwine.com]

John

The Science of Terpenes and Isoprenoids
26 May 2020 17:25
The Science of Terpenes and Isoprenoids

Experts explain what it really means to describe a wine as “terpenic”

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

The Science Behind the Main Wine Aromas, Explained
27 May 2020 17:11
The Science Behind the Main Wine Aromas, Explained

Wine descriptions often come under fire for being fanciful. Can you really smell grass and grapefruit, rose petals and pepper in a wine?

[www.winemag.com]

John

Auction House Says $400,000 Worth of Wine Was 'Cooked' During Shipment
01 June 2020 16:59
Auction House Says $400,000 Worth of Wine Was 'Cooked' During Shipment

Wine drinkers often worry about the terroir or the vintage, but don’t overlook the importance of the shipping company.

[www.foodandwine.com]

John

Vigne : des arômes cachés dans le marc de raisin ? Un ingénieur français les révèle
15 June 2020 17:29
Vigne : des arômes cachés dans le marc de raisin ? Un ingénieur français les révèle

Le marc de raisin contient des arômes rares et très recherchés. Un ingénieur français a su comment libérer ces senteurs cachées. C’est une découverte importante pour l’industrie du parfum, la cosmétologie ou l’agroalimentaire

[www.sudouest.fr]

John

Wine colour: What can it tell you? – Ask Decanter
18 June 2020 17:14
Wine colour: What can it tell you? – Ask Decanter

How much information can you extract by just looking at the colour of a wine?

[www.decanter.com]

John

Re: Wine colour: What can it tell you? – Ask Decanter
23 June 2020 16:57
Acacia gum stabilizes color in wine, finds Alland & Robert

Alland & Robert, international supplier of acacia gum, and Biolaffort, a private enology researcher, have teamed up to understand the properties of the 100 percent plant-based natural gum, sometimes referred to as gum arabic. Acacia gum, which is used throughout the food industry to generate texture, emulsify and stabilize, is widely used in winemaking. Its presence, even in small amounts, has been shown to preserve the color of wine, and in the long term, limit the appearance of sediment by stabilizing the coloring matter. Thanks to the collaboration, a deeper technical understanding can be formed, which builds on the tradition of using acacia gum in wine throughout southern Europe’s winemaking countries.

[www.foodingredientsfirst.com]

John

How does the sun affect wine production?
25 June 2020 17:17
How does the sun affect wine production?

The summer months are in full swing and the sun has come out. But how does this influence the wines currently in the process of being made? What’s the difference between a northern and a southern wine? And just how good are vintages from swelteringly hot years? Here’s the full story – more or less…

[www.idealwine.info]

John

An electronic nose for wine
10 September 2020 18:33
An electronic nose for wine

Researchers in China have applied an array of sensors—an electronic nose—that can sniff bouquet of rice wine and offer an estimate of the vintage. Writing in the International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, the scientists explain how their artificial olfactory system takes data from sensors sampling a rice wine and uses a computer to carry out a statistical analysis of the signals to give an essentially 100 percent accurate age for the wine.

[techxplore.com]

John

CIELab as a reference method for the analysis of wine color.
22 September 2020 17:34
CIELab as a reference method for the analysis of wine color.

Technology now makes it possible in the cellar

The first characteristic that a wine consumer has the opportunity to evaluate, right from the bottle if the color of the glass allows it or in the glass when pouring the wine, is the color.

[www.infowine.com]#

John

Key facts about rotundone and practical ways to pepper your wine with this fascinating aroma compound
03 October 2020 12:25
Key facts about rotundone and practical ways to pepper your wine with this fascinating aroma compound

Sourced from the review article “May peppery wines be the spice of life?” (OENO One, 2020)

[ives-technicalreviews.eu]

John

Extended harvest date alter flavonoid composition and chromatic characteristics of Plavac Mali (Vitis vinifera L.) grape berries

Each year, appropriate harvest dates receiving great attention due to their irreplaceable role in natural modulation of the wine style in the vineyard and reduction of production costs in winery. The enological potential of the berries depends on the quantitative and qualitative polyphenolic profile of the berries in the time of harvest 1,2 and their extraction during vinification 3,4,5. Harvest before berries reached technological maturity, known as cessation of active sugar accumulation, is associated with fresh wines, low in alcohol, high in acids, with a light and vivid color, thin body, bitter taste and astringent sensations 1,2. Peak in aromatic and flavor complexity, fruity scents and full body, soft tannins wines are associated to phenolic maturity of the grapes 4,6,7. Extended hang time is controversial issue as in certain vintages gives extraordinary quality 2,3,8 however, compromised wine quality potential is reduction of natural acidity, increase in pH, reduction of anthocyanins, shift in color toward violet, reduction in polyphenols and color 6,9 and a prevalence of cooked, jammy and waxy types of aromas and flavors of raisins 1.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen