Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Bordeaux

Gepost door RobertKoopman 
The cru bourgeoisie: A classification reborn?
16 February 2022 18:49
The cru bourgeoisie: A classification reborn?

Much has been written about the trials and tribulations of St Emilion in recent months, but elsewhere in Bordeaux a classification is being reborn. Might that work and what kind of lessons can we draw from the new cru bourgeoisie of the Médoc? Our Bordeaux correspondent Colin Hay tries to find out.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Re: The cru bourgeoisie: A classification reborn?
22 February 2022 13:26
Bordeaux’s Accessible Classification

One thing that always ties me up in knots is Bordeaux’s various classification systems. Don’t get me started on the Saint-Emilion classification, and I cannot honestly say I have had the opportunity to taste many of the class growths of the 1855 classification; but les Crus Bourgeois du Médoc seems altogether more familiar, and accessible. Created in the 1930s, it currently classifies around 250 Left-Bank chateaux deemed to be offering wine of very good quality at affordable prices. I won’t go into recent politics, let’s just say that the latest incarnation of the classification is dated 2020, covering vintages 2018-2022 inclusive, with a re-establishment of its three historic tiers: Cru Bourgeois, Cru Bourgeois Superieur, and Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel, all allocations being co-ordinated by the work of the alliance des crus Bourgeois du Médoc.

[www.circleofwinewriters.org]

John

Class without classification: Grand Cru brand extension and the attribution of reputation by association
03 March 2022 14:56
Class without classification: Grand Cru brand extension and the attribution of reputation by association

I have written a fair bit about competitive systems of classification in recent weeks. But there are clearly other strategies for promoting the reputation of a wine, particularly when it is neither classified nor even eligible for classification.

John

Bordeaux 2019 – a forgotten vintage, now delivering
22 March 2022 18:09
Bordeaux 2019 – a forgotten vintage, now delivering

As Bordeaux lovers prime themselves for the en primeur tastings of the 2021 vintage, Panos Kakaviatos urges them not to overlook the unfortunately tagged 'Covid' vintage, Bordeaux 2019 – now in bottle – which excels in quality and, particularly, price

[cluboenologique.com]

John

The terroirs of Bordeaux
22 March 2022 18:26
The terroirs of Bordeaux

For some, the mere mention of “Bordeaux” – a little like “Champagne” – is simply a mark of quality, rather than the symbol of a patchwork of very different terroirs. Yet Bordeaux (and all the great French winemaking regions for that matter) is divided into large areas with widely-varying profiles.

[www.idealwine.info]

John

Ao Yun becomes China’s first grand cru release on La Place de Bordeaux
23 March 2022 18:18
Ao Yun becomes China’s first grand cru release on La Place de Bordeaux

Friday 30 March 2022 is set to become a defining moment in the evolution of La Place de Bordeaux and, more importantly, the history of Chinese viticulture, as Ao Yun 2018 becomes the first Chinese grand cru to be released through the Bordeaux négociant system.

John

And the Oscar goes to… Bond and Bordeaux
28 March 2022 17:31
And the Oscar goes to… Bond and Bordeaux

For 92 years, the Oscars has been the most significant awards ceremony in the movie industry. Over the last nine decades, thousands of films have collected awards in various categories, from Best Picture to Best Special Effects. A large majority of those will feature some degree of alcohol consumption, incidental or otherwise.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

St-Emilion 2012 Classification upheld in court
28 March 2022 18:11
St-Emilion 2012 Classification upheld in court

A Bordeaux court of appeal has reaffirmed the legitimacy of St-Emilion’s 2012 Classification, in the latest chapter of a legal dispute lasting nearly a decade.

[www.decanter.com]

John

Cru bourgeois classification raises the environmental bar
30 March 2022 17:20
Cru bourgeois classification raises the environmental bar

In a short and simple press release published yesterday (28 March), L’Alliance des Crus Bourgeois du Médoc, the body responsible for overseeing the cru bourgeois classification, has significantly raised its own environmental standard.

John

Bats to the Rescue in Bordeaux Vineyards
01 April 2022 17:11
Bats to the Rescue in Bordeaux Vineyards

How many bats do you want in your vineyard? That is a question that has exercised Xavier Buffo, General Manager of Château de la Rivière in the Fronsac AoP of Bordeaux, and Anne Biscaye, owner of Château Lapelletrie in Saint-Émilion, AoP. They know the answer, with the help of researchers who found the average bat consumed 2,000 insects each night. The insect that occupies their attention is the grapevine moth (also called Eudemis or Cochylis) which is a pest that encourages the botrytis bunch rot in grapes.

[www.thechalkreport.com]

John

Moutai-owned winery in Bordeaux sold after lawsuit and bankruptcy
01 April 2022 17:04
Moutai-owned winery in Bordeaux sold after lawsuit and bankruptcy

Château Loudenne, the Cru Bourgeois estate in Haut Médoc owned by China’s liquor giant Kweichow Moutai, has now been sold to a French wine group after it was dogged by lawsuits and bankruptcy.

[vino-joy.com]

John

Re: Moutai-owned winery in Bordeaux sold after lawsuit and bankruptcy
01 April 2022 17:14
Château Loudenne returns to French ownership

Château Loudenne had been insolvent since its former owners, Kweichow Moutai and Camus, withdrew their investment. Now, the Médoc winery has found a new buyer.

John

Re: Moutai-owned winery in Bordeaux sold after lawsuit and bankruptcy
05 April 2022 17:26
Chateau Loudenne – Historic Journey of the Bordeaux Chateau sold under Court Order

April 03: To most people wine is only what’s in the Glass but there is often history and several stories- especially with old wineries in Italy, Germany and France-especially Bordeaux Chateaux –one of which is Château Loudenne which has recently been sold to Christophe Gouache through commercial court order. Our Bordeaux expert John Salvi MW who turns 85 on 6 April 2022, has a vast experience of the region and has been following Loudenne for over 60 years and shares the outline of its intriguing history and fascinating story in his own words

[www.indianwineacademy.com]

John

Pioneering technique captures ‘intensity’ of Sauternes in dry white
19 April 2022 17:34
Pioneering technique captures ‘intensity’ of Sauternes in dry white

Sauternes producer Château d’Arche is claiming a first in identifying the development of Botrytis before the first visible signs emerge, allowing it to release a modern dry white expressing the complexity of aromas associated with Noble Rot.

[harpers.co.uk]

John

Bordeaux Index wine attracts younger demographic
20 April 2022 17:01
Bordeaux Index wine attracts younger demographic

Despite the gathering clouds of inflation and global uncertainty, investing in wine has never been more attractive. Bordeaux Index’s Matthew O’Connell explains what is pulling in a new set of younger investors.

John

The Sweet Side Of Bordeaux
22 April 2022 17:27
The Sweet Side Of Bordeaux

When tourists first go to Bordeaux the grand Châteaux tend to grab your attention: the big names, the impressive architecture and stunning cellars. However, as someone who has fortunately been traveling to Bordeaux with some frequency for two decades one of my most magical trips was to the area around Cadillac—yes, the car is named after it—and to the eight sub-regions that produce off-dry white Bordeaux.

[www.forbes.com]

John

The first word on 2021 Bordeaux: In a mixed vintage, look to the whites for value
27 April 2022 16:58
The first word on 2021 Bordeaux: In a mixed vintage, look to the whites for value

After a string of stellar vintages, the reaction to Bordeaux 2021 looks set to be lukewarm at best. Panos Kakaviatos takes the temperature in the region ahead of the official en primeur tastings

[cluboenologique.com]

John

Bordeaux erwacht
27 April 2022 17:20
Bordeaux erwacht

Eingelullt von Traditionen, Konventionen und Agrochemie, schliefen Bordeaux-Winzer länger als anderswo den Schlaf des Gerechten. Jetzt werden sie aufgeweckt durch Pestizidskandale und Konsumentendruck. Langjährige ökologische Vorzeigebetriebe wie das Delinat-Weingut Château Couronneau weisen den neuen Weg.

[www.delinat.com]

John

En primeur: “attractive pricing is the proven way to stimulate demand”
28 April 2022 12:53
En primeur: “attractive pricing is the proven way to stimulate demand”

The 2021 en primeur campaign that launched this week (25 April) provides “another chance to energize the market”, Liv-ex has said – but it warned that attractive pricing was “the proven way to stimulate demand” in a campaign where sentiment was “lukewarm” and financial headwinds are strong.

John

Guy Seddon gives his verdict on the prospects for Bordeaux 2021
28 April 2022 12:55
Guy Seddon gives his verdict on the prospects for Bordeaux 2021

“2021 might not be a natural successor to the three warm vintages preceding it but the early indications are that there will be plenty to like.” So says Guy Seddon, Corney & Barrow’s senior fine wine buyer, as he and his team prepare to hit Bordeaux for the en primeurs, the first campaign in the flesh since the 2018 vintage. Much was made of the difficulty of the 2021 harvest but how will the wines shape up and which vintages will 2021 most be like?

[ww]w.the-buyer.net/opinion/guy-seddon-bordeaux-2021/

John

The world of Bordeaux: what does ‘en primeur’ mean?
10 May 2022 17:22
The world of Bordeaux: what does ‘en primeur’ mean?

You probably hear about the en primeur each year in the spring. And no doubt you know a little bit about what this expression means. To find out everything you need to know on the subject, read on!

[www.idealwine.info]

John

75% of Bordeaux wines with no added sulphites showed faults
11 May 2022 13:39
75% of Bordeaux wines with no added sulphites showed faults

According to research by Edouard Pelonnier-Magimel, post-doctoral fellow at the Bordeaux Institute of Vine and Wine Sciences, 75% of Bordeaux red wines fermented without sulphites show faults.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

Bordeaux 2021 en primeur: St Julien – ‘fantastic Cabernet-dominated wines’ to be found
12 May 2022 17:14
Bordeaux 2021 en primeur: St Julien – ‘fantastic Cabernet-dominated wines’ to be found

Our Bordeaux correspondent Colin Hay gives his verdict on the wines of St Julien in his appellation-by-appellation run through of this year’s en primeur campaign. He argues that, as in 2020, the appellation is more homogeneous than most in a vintage characterised by significant heterogeneity.

John

Re: Bordeaux 2021 en primeur: St Julien – ‘fantastic Cabernet-dominated wines’ to be found
12 May 2022 17:16
En primeur 2021: Margaux is ‘the most exciting and divisive’ appellation this vintage

As I wrote on the train back from Bordeaux with the taste of grape-skins still fresh on my palate, 2021 is a vintage born in climatic conditions that have reinforced the stylistic move towards a ‘new classicism’. That is nowhere more true than in Margaux. It seems somehow fitting, then, that I start my appellation-by-appellation tour of the vintage here.

John

Bordeaux: The En Primeur Survival Guide
17 May 2022 17:11
Bordeaux: The En Primeur Survival Guide

Just what does it take to get through Bordeaux's En Primeur campaign? Planning, determination and a healthy appetite.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

BORDEAUX’S NEW YEAR: A DIFFICULT 2021 COMES OUT EASY (SPECIAL WEEKLY TASTING REPORT)
17 May 2022 17:14
BORDEAUX’S NEW YEAR: A DIFFICULT 2021 COMES OUT EASY (SPECIAL WEEKLY TASTING REPORT)

It’s hard to think of a vintage to compare with Bordeaux’s new year, which is currently on show throughout the region. I have been tasting new barrel samples in France’s most famous wine area for 39 years now and I have never encountered something like 2021. Associate Editor Claire Nesbitt and I have already rated more than 400 wines since arriving in Bordeaux over the weekend and it’s been great fun and exciting to taste the young wines, both reds and whites, as well as speak with winemakers and visit wineries.

[www.jamessuckling.com]

John

Carruades de Lafite 2021 release ‘looks attractive’
17 May 2022 17:16
Carruades de Lafite 2021 release ‘looks attractive’

Château Lafite Rothschild’s second wine, Carruades de Lafite, has been released early in this year’s Bordeaux en primeur campaign, with Château Duhart-Milon from the Lafite owner’s stable also making its debut.

[www.decanter.com]

John

First en primeur releases – what value do they offer?
17 May 2022 17:36
First en primeur releases – what value do they offer?

Last week saw a trio of en primeur releases, as Pauillac estates Carruades de Lafite and Duhart Milon and Cantemerle in the Haut Medoc released their wines onto the market. We run down who released what and at what price and what kind of value they offer.

John

DERNIÈRES ACTUALITÉS
18 May 2022 12:25
DERNIÈRES ACTUALITÉS

La Terre à Boire | Podcast #89 Les 50 Ans de Cahors

[vindecahors.fr]

John

1 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 18/05/2022 12:27 door JohnCopier.
Demand for en primeur expected to be 20% lower this year, survey finds
18 May 2022 12:40
Demand for en primeur expected to be 20% lower this year, survey finds

A survey of wine merchants conducted by Liv-ex has found that demand for this year’s en primeur is expected to be around 20% lower than in previous years.

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen