Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Climate Change

Gepost door JohnCopier 
Europe's vineyards move further north
18 May 2020 19:10
Europe's vineyards move further north

So, what do you know, I am getting a local vineyard, here in Uppsala, Sweden. Well, actually, it is 13 km (8 miles) away in a straight line, but that is a lot closer than Blaxsta Gård vineyard, which is 110 km (70 miles) south of me.

[winegourd.blogspot.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Better wines among the pines: Agroforestry can climate-proof grapes, French researchers show
05 June 2020 13:43
Better wines among the pines: Agroforestry can climate-proof grapes, French researchers show

Climate change is affecting the growth of grapes used in winemaking worldwide, causing them to ripen too soon which changes the quality and character of the product; but new research in the global home of wine suggests that trees can help growers adapt.

In southern France, long trellises of wine grapes are being grown among rows of trees that provide shading and other microclimate benefits that cause the grapes to ripen weeks later than in surrounding areas, leading to higher-quality wine.

This agroforestry system, where crops are grown among woody perennials like trees, appears to have additional benefits in vineyards including increased tolerance of vines to heat and frost, and harboring populations of beneficial insects.

Agroforestry also sequesters large amounts of carbon from the atmosphere and is therefore recognized as a top solution to countering the effects of climate change.

[news.mongabay.com]

John

Biodymamics key to climate change mitigation says Barolo producer
05 June 2020 18:57
Biodymamics key to climate change mitigation says Barolo producer

In a webinar last week for the launch of Ceretto’s 2016 expressions of Barolo and Barbaresco, the producer’s Gianluca Pica said that biodymamic vineyard practices were proving key to mitigating the impact of climate change in the Piedmont.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

The Climate Phenomenon that Produces Wines with ‘Electric Acidity’
05 June 2020 19:11
The Climate Phenomenon that Produces Wines with ‘Electric Acidity’

A winemaker is tied to their ability to predict and understand obscure climatic tics. The analysis of weird winds, funky fogs and other esoteric ephemera generally remain confined to the fringes of the wine world, but some terms manage to enter the lexicon of normal wine-loving humans.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 19:04
Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions

Australian grape-growers and winemakers will soon have a tool to map changes in climate until the end of the century.

[www.abc.net.au]

John

Re: Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 19:06
New Climate Atlas report shows how climate change will affect Australian wine regions

A world-first research document about to be released has detailed how Australia's famous winegrowing regions will be forced to adapt due to climate change.

[www.abc.net.au]

John

Re: Climate Atlas: Charting the weather in wine regions
15 June 2020 19:09
May 2020: Earth’s Warmest May on Record

May 2020 was the planet's warmest May since record keeping began in 1880, said NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and NASA on Friday, June 12. NOAA rated May as tied with 2016 for warmest May on record, while NASA put May 2020 ahead of May 2016 by 0.06°C. Minor differences in rankings often occur between NOAA and NASA, due to the different techniques they use to handle data-sparse regions such as the Arctic.

[www.wunderground.com]

John

Climate the Latest Challenge for Burgundy
18 June 2020 19:05
Climate the Latest Challenge for Burgundy

The changing climate will see changes to many traditional wine regions – and grand cru sites won't escape.

[www.wine-searcher.com]

John

Paper wine bottle launched with 84% lower carbon footprint
01 July 2020 14:38
Paper wine bottle launched with 84% lower carbon footprint

British sustainable packaging company Frugalpac has launched a wine bottle made from 94% recycled paperboard, which it said has a carbon footprint 84% less than that of glass.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Measuring Wine Tourism’s Carbon Footprint
20 July 2020 19:09
Measuring Wine Tourism’s Carbon Footprint

With millions of tourists visiting wineries each year, cellar door operations contribute to the economic health of wine regions around the world. They are also crucial for the financial sustainability of many wine producers. But, so far, little attention has been paid to their role in environmental sustainability. To address this issue, we have created a method for measuring wine tourism’s carbon footprint. We applied it to Australia and learned that cellar door sales may be the most carbon intensive component of all stages of wine production and consumption by a very large margin.

This method can now be applied to other wine regions to determine how much of a carbon footprint is left behind by their wine tourists, and we encourage wine researchers to do so.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen