Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
How Ann Noble and the Wine Aroma Wheel Revolutionized the Industry
07 June 2022 18:57
How Ann Noble and the Wine Aroma Wheel Revolutionized the Industry

Without a shared language, love can be challenging to describe. Similarly, talking about wine can be complicated without a common language, especially when referring to aromas and flavors. As America’s wine culture developed in the 1970s, writers and winemakers created their own vocabulary. By the 1980s, enologists started discussing wine in sensory terms. And in 1984, with a desire to create a shared system, Ann Noble, PhD, an enology professor at University of California, Davis, organized wine descriptors into the first Wine Aroma Wheel.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Deep sea hunters are battling to save wine 'worth millions' from WW1 wreck
07 June 2022 19:03
Deep sea hunters are battling to save wine 'worth millions' from WW1 wreck

Treasure hunters who have discovered a haul of vintage wine at the bottom of the English Channel are fighting for permission to salvage it.

[www.msn.com]

John

MONKEY WINE
07 June 2022 19:05
MONKEY WINE

Much has been discovered recently about the early history of wine. As Christopher Howard writes in “Five Turning points in the Evolution of Wine”,

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

White Wine Emojency
10 June 2022 14:31
White Wine Emojency

It's become increasingly apparent that digital keyboards are missing a vital emoji, says New Zealand Winegrowers Global PR Manager Juliana Foster, who's leading a campaign to raise a glass of white wine on screens worldwide.

[www.ruralnewsgroup.co.nz]

John

Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: A ‘new’ recognition of ‘old’ vines
14 June 2022 19:07
Allen Balik, The Wine Exchange: A ‘new’ recognition of ‘old’ vines

I am often asked about the importance of the “Old Vine” label designation and what significance it bears on a wine’s character. Although the term appears in the labeling of many different bottlings (especially Zinfandel), it has no legal designation in the U.S. or other wine producing countries.

[napavalleyregister.com]

John

The Good Wine Writer
24 June 2022 13:53
The Good Wine Writer

Someone once told me that nothing in wine media gets page views like writing about wine writing. No one seems to be sure quite why this is the case. It might be because, in wine, everyone fancies themselves a writer. It might be because wine writers are an easy target. It might be, whisper it, because even when confined to a topic as limited and prosaic as wine, writing is an act that provokes much more interesting discussion than making beverages does.

[timatkin.com]

John

Raising the price of wines by 15 to 20 % would offset overhead increases
24 June 2022 14:09
Raising the price of wines by 15 to 20 % would offset overhead increases

For several months now, winegrowers have been faced with unprecedented increases in the cost of raw materials. According to a survey carried out by the Loir-et-Cher chamber of agriculture last April among winegrowers in the Centre-Loire Valley area and two distributors in Loir-et-Cher, the price of bottles has risen by 25 to 50%, boxes by 20 to 31%, labels by 20 to 34%, capsules by 11 to 20%, wooden posts by 5 to 15%, galvanised posts by 42 to 52%, and wires by 20 to 93%. In addition to this is the spiralling price of diesel and equipment, to name a few. On 1 May 2022, excluding marketing costs, this increases the production cost per litre of wine by 10% if a winegrower sells in bulk and by 13% if they sell in bottles. But if you include marketing costs and profit margins, which are crucial to businesses’ long term survival, the increase is an average 16%, based on average crop yields of 55 hl/ha. “With such a sharp increase in costs, there are two possible options: either I put my prices up by 3 to 5% and I dip into my profit margins; or I charge 15 to 20% more, but then I don’t know how my customers will react. What is your opinion?” Michel Badier, head of winegrowing at the Loir-et-Cher chamber of agriculture, asked winegrowers who took part in a dedicated webinar.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

WINE AND “MAKING SPECIAL”
27 June 2022 19:47
WINE AND “MAKING SPECIAL”

In recent years there have been several important books devoted to understanding art as a product of human evolution. The art historian Ellen Dissanayake is one of the more prominent thinkers pursuing this line. She argues extensively in her books, Homo Aestheticus:
Where Art Come From and Why and Art and Intimacy: How the Arts Began, that the defining feature of art is that it involves “marking something as special.” Unlike other animals, humans deliberately “artify, by shaping, embellishing and otherwise fashioning aspects of their world
with the intention of making them more than ordinary.” Literature, music, painting or dance involves taking objects or behaviors that are ordinary and making them extraordinary.

[foodandwineaesthetics.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen