Diversen

Gepost door JohnCopier 
LOOKING AND SEEING ARE NOT THE SAME
10 February 2021 19:48
LOOKING AND SEEING ARE NOT THE SAME

(Two views of Tintin and Snowy)

(A book you should know about)

(Preview of exciting things to come)

I have a picture of Tintin and his dog that has moved me since the first moment I saw it. I don’t recall where or when that took place any more; it wasn’t at one of the “official” Tintin merch shops, because that stuff is all trademarked. This drawing wasn’t made by Hergé.

[www.terrytheise.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
THE ETYMOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF THE WORLD’S BIGGEST GRAPES
16 February 2021 19:38
THE ETYMOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF THE WORLD’S BIGGEST GRAPES

More often than not a grape gets its name from the place in which it was discovered, or the person who identified or crossbred it. But it’s not always so straight forward.

[www.thedrinksbusiness.com]

John

Kiwi Malbec? Signature Wines & the Dutch Disease Effect
16 February 2021 19:44
Kiwi Malbec? Signature Wines & the Dutch Disease Effect

Some people like to define wine regions by their signature grape varieties. New Zealand = Sauvignon Blanc. Argentina = Malbec. You know what I am talking about. So what should you think of a Kiwi Malbec like the one shown here? Read on to find out.

[wineeconomist.com]

John

CHANGING VARIETIES IN VINEYARDS
16 February 2021 19:41
CHANGING VARIETIES IN VINEYARDS

In winegrape vineyards, variety is among the most important factors affecting economic success. And, after all the time and effort we dedicate to selecting a clone, rootstock, and spacing-training-trellising-pruning system to optimize the performance of a scion variety, we are loath to change it. Sometimes, however, due to market circumstances beyond our control, changing varieties may be the best or only option for a vineyard to remain profitable.

[www.lodigrowers.com]

John

Why Do So Many Wines Cost So Much?
19 February 2021 19:40
Why Do So Many Wines Cost So Much?

The wine industry’s term for a “premium wine” is one that costs about $15, which may come as a surprise to those who peruse their wine shop shelves and find that few wines not bottled in jugs by the largest commercial wineries come close to that low price. Of course, there are a few really, really cheap wines for under ten bucks and there are some very good wines that run from $15 to $25, which, quite candidly, is a lot of money for the average wine drinker to shell out for a casual dinner several nights a week. And from there things go askew, with wines that for no reason at all sell for $50 to $100, and then way upwards of there. Many Napa Valley Cabernets now sell for in excess of $200. Since all wine is nothing more than fermented grape juice, what could possibly make wines cost so much?

[www.forbes.com]

John

Accelerated substantial shift towards online wine buying during 2020, including in lower online-usage markets such as Canada and Germany

Look out for our upcoming report, E-commerce and Online Shopper Multimarket Report 2021 publishing February 2021, which will focus on Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, the US and the UK. For more information on the report, or to pre-order, please email reports-shop@wineintelligence.com.

[www.wineintelligence.com]

John

Luxury Bandits
24 February 2021 21:23
Luxury Bandits

Many qualifications have rocks and reefs rousing calm surfaces. Learner drivers are undone by parallel parking. Philosophy undergraduates discover The Spice-Box of Life isn’t a primer for formal logic. The sensibilities that steer life down a particular path may also threaten its undoing.

[timatkin.com]

John

The Life and Times of “Pizza Wine”
24 February 2021 21:25
The Life and Times of “Pizza Wine”

To consider the evolution of the term “pizza wine” in the United States, first consider the “fiasco,” the straw basket–wrapped Chianti bottles filled with plonk that took root in Italian-American restaurants in the 1950s and ’60s. The double meaning of “fiasco,” of course, is a huge catastrophe. “The whole situation of wine being poured into something and sold as something [else] was a huge fiasco,” says Shelley Lindgren, co-owner and wine director of San Francisco’s A16.

[punchdrink.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen