Welkom! » Log in » Registreer een nieuw account

Techniek in en rond de wijn, oxidation

Gepost door JohnCopier 
How Sulfites Became Public Enemy No.1 in Wine
27 January 2021 13:28
How Sulfites Became Public Enemy No.1 in Wine

Jessica Green can usually tell when a new article about sulfites is published without opening a magazine or looking at her phone.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Life is always better when I wine.

Koken is meer dan een recept.
Out of this world precision: AI and IoT in the vineyard
09 February 2021 19:13
Out of this world precision: AI and IoT in the vineyard

Cutting-edge technological advancements are aiding more industries to achieve better results, including Australia’s agricultural sector.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Luxury wine wall with ‘robotic arm’ launches
12 March 2021 18:16
Luxury wine wall with ‘robotic arm’ launches

A luxury fine wine showcase with a robotic arm that can pick out your desired bottle, and with a ‘virtual sommelier’ to suggest food pairings, has been launched.

[www.decanter.com]

John

This new tool could identify ‘smoke taint’ in wine early in the process
24 March 2021 18:07
This new tool could identify ‘smoke taint’ in wine early in the process

A South Australian researcher is combining materials science, engineering and applied photonics to help winemakers detect smoke taint in grapes and wine.

[createdigital.org.au]

John

Standard digital camera and AI to monitor soil moisture for affordable smart irrigation
08 April 2021 13:35
Standard digital camera and AI to monitor soil moisture for affordable smart irrigation

The United Nations predicts that by 2050 many areas of the planet may not have enough fresh water to meet the demands of agriculture if we continue our current patterns of use. One solution to this global dilemma is the development of more efficient irrigation, central to which is precision monitoring of soil moisture, allowing sensors to guide 'smart' irrigation systems to ensure water is applied at the optimum time and rate.

[www.infowine.com]#

John

Re: Standard digital camera and AI to monitor soil moisture for affordable smart irrigation
08 April 2021 13:37
Wine grape ripeness assessment using Hyperspectral imaging

Abstract

The wine industry has been striving to achieve wine quality and consistency, which involves harvesting and selection of grapes at the optimal maturity and according to the desired traits. Hyperspectral imaging (HSI) combined with machine learning algorithms (ML) has emerged as a promising cost-effective alternative to the traditional analytical methods to predict important enological parameters and assist on harvesting critical decisions. However, the large amount of data generated by HSI, together with the large variability associated (grape variety, terroir), raise computational challenges for data-driven-modelling turning the selection of proper models, which best suit the problem under study and assure its generalization, a cumbersome task.

[www.infowine.com]

John

Re: Standard digital camera and AI to monitor soil moisture for affordable smart irrigation
08 April 2021 13:39
Stop and smell the roses: novel yeast that impart “floral” aromas in wine

AB Biotek in partnership with Wine Australia and The Australian Wine Research Institute have identified new novel yeast strains to assist winemakers to improve the ‘floral/rose’ aroma and flavour characteristics of Sparkling Chardonnay, Rose, Grenache, and Pinot Gris wines.

[www.infowine.com]

John

26 photovoltaic projects in French vineyards for Sun'Agri
15 April 2021 17:45
26 photovoltaic projects in French vineyards for Sun'Agri

Winegrowers in the South of France are pioneering the development of agrivoltaics: among the 37 Sun'Agri projects selected in the “innovative photovoltaic solar energy” calls for tender issued by the French Energy Regulation Commission, 26 involve the wine industry. “This is the area of farming where our projects are the most advanced”, confirmed Perrine Fortin, head of the Agro Division at Sun'Agri. All the projects, which will be rolled out in 2022, are located across the Mediterranean wine regions in areas such as Pyrénées-Orientales, Aude, Gard, Hérault and Vaucluse.

[www.vitisphere.com]

John

THE S WORD: COMPLETE GUIDE TO SULFUR IN WINE
19 April 2021 17:31
THE S WORD: COMPLETE GUIDE TO SULFUR IN WINE

The sulfite debate is one of the most heated, confused, and often misplaced topics in wine today. This is in large part due to the rise in popularity of natural wine, which has, in turn, fuelled an interest in the use or non-use of sulfites, leading to drinkers mistakenly thinking that natural wine is really all about the act of not adding sulfites.

[napavalleywineacademy.com]

John

SYSTEMATIC VINEYARD MONITORING FOR EFFECTIVE VINEYARD MANAGEMENT
05 May 2021 17:15
SYSTEMATIC VINEYARD MONITORING FOR EFFECTIVE VINEYARD MANAGEMENT

MONDAY, MAY 3, 2021. BY STAN GRANT, VITICULTURIST.

My old employer, Julio Gallo used to say, “the best care a vineyard receives is the footsteps of its owner.” In other words, the most important element of vineyard care is vineyard monitoring (Figure 1). As such, vineyard monitoring is critical to vineyard business success.

[www.lodigrowers.com]

John

Vineyard analysis tool launches global expansion
12 May 2021 17:10
Vineyard analysis tool launches global expansion

Terraview has announced the global launch of the most powerful and advanced version of its operating system for the wine industry.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Grape genetics research reveals what makes the perfect flower
18 May 2021 17:24
Grape genetics research reveals what makes the perfect flower

Wines and table grapes exist thanks to a genetic exchange so rare that it’s only happened twice in nature in the last 6 million years. And since the domestication of the grapevine 8,000 years ago, breeding has continued to be a gamble.

[news.cornell.edu]

John

Technology to recover and modulate the aroma lost during alcoholic fermentation
19 May 2021 17:13
Technology to recover and modulate the aroma lost during alcoholic fermentation

Abstract

During the alcoholic fermentation a part of the volatile compounds escapes from the vat. This loss is mainly due to the stripping effect of the carbon dioxide produced by yeasts, and results in a loss of wine aroma. In a first trial we identified and measured the volatile compounds lost in this way, finding that these compounds belong to several chemical classes (i.e. esters, alcohols, acids, terpenoids, etc.) with a large impact on wine aroma. Hence, we developed a system able to recover the lost compounds. The system consists in a heat exchanger, placed on the top of the fermentation vat, able to cool the vapor escaping. The system condensates the volatile compounds and allows them to fall back into the fermenting mass. To test the qualitative effects of the system we carried out several fermentations at industrial scale, splitting the same batch of grapes in vats equipped with the cooling system and in traditional vats. All the other vats characteristics and all the other fermentation conditions were the same. Chemical and sensory evaluations were carried out on the produced wines. Immediately after the wine production, statistically significant differences were found in the chemical profile of wines produced as result of the vapor cooling system. Consistently, the judges of the sensory tests were able to recognise the wine produced with the aroma recovery device. Furthermore, during the condensation, an esterification reaction occurred. Particularly, part of the acids reacted with the ethanol, to produce esters. This reaction transformed unpleasant compounds into “fruity” compounds. Following, the wines were stored for 1 year (6 months in tank and 6 months in bottles). During the storage the chemical and the sensory tests were repeated. The aroma profile of the wines changed during the storage, as result of the natural evolution of the wine aroma, but the differences due to the aroma recovery system remained measurable and perceivable after 1 year.[/[/i]b]

[www.infowine.com]#

John

The tech startup that taught a computer to taste wine
28 May 2021 16:41
The tech startup that taught a computer to taste wine

London (CNN Business) - A California startup that taught a computer to "taste" wine is using the technology to help winemakers improve their products and attract new customers.

Er gaat zo een hoop plezier verloren.

[edition.cnn.com]

John

Use of Pulsed Light for Grape Sanitization
04 June 2021 17:26
Use of Pulsed Light for Grape Sanitization

Abstract

Pulsed light can be considered a non-thermal emerging technology suitable for foodstuff sanitization. Sanitization may occur through the use of high energy pulses during extremely short periods of time (ns to μs).

[www.infowine.com]#

John

TWE to drive robotic innovation in agriculture
12 June 2021 11:20
TWE to drive robotic innovation in agriculture

Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) has announced its duo-partnership with The Yield Technology Solutions and Yamaha Motor Co. to optimise yield prediction in wine grapes and to improve autonomous crop spraying with the use of robots.

[winetitles.com.au]

John

Sensor technology gives growers actual ET readings
15 June 2021 17:03
Sensor technology gives growers actual ET readings

Good growers who already understand how weather and water stresses affect plants will quickly see value in the app-based approach.

[www.farmprogress.com]

John

A palatable guide to malolactic fermentation
22 June 2021 17:27
A palatable guide to malolactic fermentation

The winemaking technique at the centre of chardonnay's stylistic evolution.

[www.winecompanion.com.au]

John

At High-Tech Wineries, Robots Prune Vines and Precision Sensors Analyze Disease
30 June 2021 17:42
At High-Tech Wineries, Robots Prune Vines and Precision Sensors Analyze Disease

Technology has long been applied to grape growing and winemaking. Recent advancements, however, have shown how automation can help growers to ensure the quality and integrity of their wines. These innovations enable growers across the globe to make more calculated and better-timed decisions, and also reduce the labor needed to carry out vineyard and winery operations.

[www.winemag.com]

John

Draught wines: French vineyards rediscover the power of horses
01 July 2021 10:11
Draught wines: French vineyards rediscover the power of horses

Working horses not only outperform tractors on tricky terrain but provide a natural way to improve health of soil and crops

[www.theguardian.com]

John

Artificial Intelligence Can Now Taste - Transforming Winemaking With Tastry
01 July 2021 10:24
Artificial Intelligence Can Now Taste - Transforming Winemaking With Tastry

Up until recently, the methods wineries used to decide what to produce and what to sell have been almost entirely subjective. Without data, it was really hard to figure out how to make a great wine that would sell well in the market.

[www.forbes.com]

John

Cannonau: the wine of centenarians. A spectroscopic data fusion approach for the study of the polyphenol content
09 August 2021 17:18
Cannonau: the wine of centenarians. A spectroscopic data fusion approach for the study of the polyphenol content

An epidemiological representative study demonstrated that people living in the mountainous region of Sardinia, an island in the center of the Mediterranean sea, are characterized by an extreme longevity (Deiana et al., 1999). This longevity presents exceptional gender equality, in the sense that the probability of men reaching the 100 year milestone is equal to that of women, as opposite to the common trend in developed countries, where it has been widely documented that females live longer than males. The lower female/male ratio among centenaries has to be attributed to a longer life span of males rather than to higher mortality of females (Poulain et al., 2011). An area with significantly higher levels of longevity and lower female/man ratio among centenarians has been identified in the central-eastern part of the island (Barbagia and Ogliastra) and was called the Blue Zone (Deiana et al., 1999).

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Drone Technology to Spray Vineyards Gains Popularity
11 August 2021 17:21
Drone Technology to Spray Vineyards Gains Popularity

The use of drones to spray vineyards where labor is scarce and expensive is gaining popularity.

Automodality has been testing drone spraying technology since 2020 at an estate vineyard at Clos de la Tech in the Santa Cruz mountains, according to the winery and the company. The drones have been flown at Domaine Lois Louise, a 35-acre, steep vineyard.

[www.winebusiness.com]

John

Slow the ripening for a better outcome
13 August 2021 17:16
Slow the ripening for a better outcome

Climate change is presenting a number of challenges for the global wine sector. For fruit development, longer and warmer seasons mean that optimal berry sugar is achieved before the flavour and colour profiles are fully developed. This is expected to be an increasing problem as the world continues to warm.

[www.wineaustralia.com]

John

Your Wine Is Toxic and Poisonous
16 August 2021 16:51
Your Wine Is Toxic and Poisonous

I wonder how often the folks at Dry Farm Wines have had the opportunity to look winemakers in the face and tell them “your wine is poisonous”. Not take the cowardly route and state in Facebook ads that all wine but theirs is “toxic”. No. I wonder how many times the Dry Farm Wines people have had the courage to look a winemaker straight in the eye and tell them, “your wine is toxic”.

[fermentationwineblog.com]

John

Red Wine and Longevity
16 August 2021 17:12
Red Wine and Longevity

Galeno, doctor and philosopher of the roman empire in the 3rd century AD said, “If you cannot cure your illness with wine, resort to medication”. Even though Hippocrates (fifth century AD), known as the father of medicine, recommended moderate wine consumption as part of a healthy diet, the ancient Egyptians already sensed its beneficial properties, which can be seen in “The Odyssey” by Homer, dated to the 8th century1. This means that already at that time it was known that the moderate consumption of wine had beneficial effects on health. Today we know practically all of its composition and which part of these compounds have pharmacological activities, which we will comment in detail later.

[www.ciencia-e-vinho.com]

John

Do Low-Yield Vines Really Make Better Wines?
16 August 2021 17:20
Do Low-Yield Vines Really Make Better Wines?

Low-yielding vines might sound appealing to those who associate scarcity with desirability, but less isn’t always more in wine. Increasingly, scientists and winemakers say that each vineyard should be evaluated by its own range of attributes. These factors contribute to its ability to support low- or high-yielding grapevines.

[www.winemag.com]

John

How Farming with Horses Makes Better Wine
22 September 2021 16:53
How Farming with Horses Makes Better Wine

The science behind horses’ impact on soil and vineyard health—and why some growers around the world are bringing back this traditional, yet difficult, way of farming

[daily.sevenfifty.com]

John

Scientists, officials guard against new pests
24 September 2021 17:32
Scientists, officials guard against new pests

The threat has always been an important issue and climate change may accelerate these introductions.

[www.farmprogress.com]

John

VinePair Podcast: Are Hybrid Vines the Future of Wine?
29 September 2021 17:13
VinePair Podcast: Are Hybrid Vines the Future of Wine?

Hybrid, non-Vitis vinifera grapes have been a bit of a taboo subject in the wine world. As climate change threatens the viability of vinifera grapes and a new generation of wine drinkers emerges, might the stigma around hybrid vines be dying down for good?

On this episode of the “VinePair Podcast,” co-hosts Adam Teeter, Joanna Sciarrino, and Zach Geballe explore the future of hybrid wine and discuss how shifting consumer preferences may help these wines succeed on the market.

[vinepair.com]

John

Sorry, alleen geregistreerde gebruikers mogen berichten plaatsen in dit forum.

Klik hier om in te loggen